Have Drowtales inspired stories and art? Share it here!

Cameo Brainstorming, Chapter 55+

Cameo Brainstorming, Chapter 55+

Postby Thrair » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:36 am

Creating a new thread for brainstorming Cameos. A continuation of the one found here, as that one has grown rather long and hard to follow. As a foreword, there are some general things to consider when making a good cameo. These are not hard and fast rules, mind you. Just general tips. For reference, here is the news feed for the most recent cameo role-call.

The first and foremost of these is to remember they are replacing otherwise nameless background characters.
You want them to add to the depth of the story, but you should not be aiming to have them take center stage. The focus of the story will always be on the main cast. Even the most prominent of cameos remain supporting roles. And of those that were prominent, many of them were not expected to have such a key role. It just happened that they filled a niche in the story.

What you do not want to do is try and sponsor cameos to "fish" for a specific role. We have little idea what will transpire in a given chapter. Trying to land a specific "needed" role will of course fail if that role doesn't happen to exist! Flexibility and being able to fill multiple roles is key.

Secondly, Kern has to fit these cameos into the story somehow.
If you focus overmuch on narrow personality traits or quirks, Kern is extremely handicapped in writing your cameo. He either has a very limited manner of ways to show those traits, or he has to ignore them altogether. As a general rule, try to design your cameo's personalty and quirks in a way that is more general and multifaceted. This allows Kern to display these traits in different ways, depending on the needs of the story.

One of the better examples I can list is Jak'iaah. Note the quirk on that concept art: "Believe without fault in the Sarghress Hierarchy." That makes it a personality trait with good and bad aspects Kern can use. He can play up the good in that she's extremely dedicated and professional. Or play up the bad in that she's rigid and inflexible. And over the course if the story, Kern has done *both*. Traits like these with positive and negative aspects create a character with some depth. All in a single quirk.

Contrast this with a quirk like "Master Swordsman". In addition to having a narrow focus and very little depth, it can only be shown in the story if Kern has the character appear in a battle scene. Which makes the quirk one that has no chance to appear at all if it so happens that there isn't such a scene the character can fit in. Additionally, this quirk creates the expectation that the character not only uses their sword, but dominates the fights they are in.

Defining a few talents and weaknesses your cameo has are good, but avoid the mistake of trying qualify them explicitly. And ideally, you'll want quirks that can been drawn or shown while the character does/says other things. My cameo is a heavy drinker, for example. Kern can show this by simply drawing him with some form of alcohol on his person, which doesn't keep him from doing something more relevant to the plot.

Thirdly, and this also an example where Jak'iaah shines, recurring cameos are always preferable over new cameos.
Recurring cameos already have appeared in the story. This means both Kern and the reader are somewhat familiar with them, and they have prior interactions in the story that can be developed further. This adds to story cohesion. Do not let this dissuade you from creating a new cameo or persuade you to try and force a cameo to appear in a chapter you don't think suits them.... but, if possible, stick with a cameo you have already begun to develop.

Fourth, and touching on that last point: Develop your cameos if you sponsor them multiple times.
This is not to say that you should try to re-imagine your cameo every chapter they appear in. But take prior appearances into account. Did what happened them or what they see in prior chapters have an effect on their personality or personal relationships?

Focus here on general personality growth, not specific quirks. Going off previous examples, Kern can more easily show how the story is affecting a character if say "Believe without fault in the Sarghress Hierarchy" has shifted to "Now has doubts in the Sarghress Hierarchy", because this again a trait that is general and flexible. Kern can interpret it in many ways, depending on story needs. Meanwhile, "Became a Master Archer" is a trait that, again, is narrow and has very limited ways Kern can display it.

Next, when designing a cameo's appearance, remember Kern and Kite must draw it.
You of course want your character to have a unique and distinctive appearance. But a character with too complicated or exotic an appearance is creating a lot of extra work for Kern. This is also partly why Kern tries to insist on concept art for a cameo. You can draw it yourself or have someone else draw it instead of commissioning Kern, but it helps Kern immensely to have something to go off of.

Consider a design from Darksiders. Sure, the character has a lot of detail, but so much so that it is almost noise. And if Kern had to draw something like that every page, he would spend hours on that one character. Inevitably the character would either show up less, or would be simplified. When designing a cameo's physical appearance, less is more. If there are one or two specific parts of their design you want to make sure he draws, explicitly mention those.

From personal experience, my cameo has a neck-badge bearing the mark of the Imperial Guard. The rest of his appearance I have a general design for that Kern follows, but he varies the exact details. That is the one part of his costume that I have made explicit I want to show up. And Kern has been very accommodating of that.

Also very important, consider what cameos others are sponsoring.
For every given chapter, there are a number of story roles that need to be filled. Kern will either find a cameo that fits that role, or place in a character of his own. However, some types of cameo are more popular than others. Namely Sarghress. In a chapter that will feature every clan, Sarghress cameos tend to greatly outnumber the other clans.

On a personal level, this means Sarghress cameos have much more competition with each other for the Sarghress "roles" within the story. As such, each cameo is less likely to get one of those roles, and is more likely to get a generic "background filler" role.

On a less personal level, this means Kern has to draw more pages of Sarghress cameos than others. This means the story focus is forced somewhat more onto the Sarghress than it may otherwise be, as Kern will run out of key story roles for Sarghress characters and have to write/draw additional content to make sure each cameo has screentime.

It is healthier for the story and more likely to allow your cameo to get a prominent role if the cameos are more evenly spread over the given clans or factions.

Finally, make sure you fact-check the character to make sure it fits established lore.
As an example, there are no "former tainted" in the story. A character, once tainted, remains tainted until they die. There is no known cure.

As subtler example, there are very few old characters on the surface. The older a fae (elven) character gets, the more mana they need to remain healthy and avoid aging. The surface simply does not have enough ambient mana to sustain truly old fae. As such, fae on the surface are either relatively young, or begin to suffer the effects of mana deprivation. With the speed and severity increasing with the fae's age.

There are many people on both this forum and on the community Discord server who will be happy to check your character for consistency. If in doubt, ask.

PS: While Kern will rarely include any details from a concept's backstory, as that would necessitate on-screen exposition, it is an excellent way to brainstorm and refine a concept.
While a short backstory isn't required for a cameo, nor is it likely to appear on-screen, you can really get a lot of mileage in developing a cameo by including a small overview of their background. It can help other people chip in with ideas for quirks or personality traits, and often refine a concept by starting to link traits together in a way that forms a cohesive personality.

As an example, when initially designing my cameo, I had meant to make him a retired guard and bartender, hence the focus on alcohol. I kept the alcohol focus and removed the bartender aspect, which left that trait a little isolated. When thinking on why he would be such a heavy drinker, being a veteran of the Nidraa'chal war seemed a natural fit. Which led to the development of a more serious and embittered personality, making the drinking less of a random quirk, and a specific sign of the character's unhappy and depressed nature. Traits which have developed further into the completely jaded individual now appearing.

I wouldn't go so far as to include more than a paragraph or two of backstory, but having a little bit of history in mind can really spark ideas, especially for linking cameos together via shared past or familial ties. As an added bonus, while the wiki does not include cameo backstories in depth (instead noting on-screen appearances), Dalvy and I are usually quite willing to note minor aspects of their past on their wiki pages at the sponsors' requests (Such as Nehleanee and Ischa being half-sisters through their father.

Now, with that out of the way, here is a generic character template for cameos to use when being designed. Kern may use a different template in a given chapter's cameo call. In that case, that template takes precedence over this generic one.

-Name:
-Race:
-Eye Color:
-Hair Colour:
-Age: (Kern typically limits this to around 200ish, but has allowed occasional exceptions for solid concepts).
-Clan/Faction: (These are not always the same, as recent chapters show the decay of the clan system).
-Profession:
-Martial ability:
-Mana affinity:

-Physical Appearance: (General traits. Tall/short, lean/muscular, buxom/petite, etc)
-Equipment: (Keep it simple and generalized. A general type of gear, one or two specific items at most).
Appearance Reference: (If you have one, such as a prior concept art).

-Personality traits: (A few general traits. Such as stubborn, patient, easygoing, depressed, optimistic, etc. This is the core of your cameo, and the most vital. Keep it relatively short. Less is more, and flexibility is king.)
-Favourite sayings: (This is not likely to be shown in the story, it just gives Kern a small tidbit to base how your character talks).
-Favourite activity: (As above).
-Favourite expression: (The facial expression you want them drawn with, often the one they default to. Such as a broad smile, permanent scowl, etc).
-Quirks: (A few traits of character that are more specific than general personality, but avoid making it too narrow.)
-One Sentence: (Summarize your character in a single sentence. This lets Kern know what you view to be the most important to the overall character.)
-Paired with: (If they have a mate. Kern often draws mated pairs together. Such as Nergui and Wa'sila.

With that out of the way, good luck! Keep feedback on other people's ideas and concepts polite and constructive.
Thrair
Demon

Location: My Chair, Washington (Just south of My Computer, Washington)
Clan: Sharen

Re: Cameo Brainstorming, Chapter 55+

Postby Junglefowl26 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:22 am

Many thanks Thrair, and great explanation!

Now to start things off

-Name: Chinua Sarghress
-Race: Drowleth
-Eye Color: Green
-Hair Colour: White
-Clan/Faction: Sarghress/Imperial Guard
-Profession: Imperial Guard
-Martial ability: battle claws (https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/wow ... 0526154543)
-Mana affinity: Air

-Physical Appearance: Tall and thin
-Equipment: Imperial Guard Overseer outfit, but in Sarghress colors.
Appearance Reference: http://wiki.drowtales.com/images/e/ec/C ... hiyani.jpg But red and black

-Personality traits: Self-conscious and nervous.
-Favourite sayings: ...I hope that was the right thing to do...
-Favourite activity: Drink tea
-Favourite expression: A panicked expression
-Quirks: -Clumsy
- Overeager to please, especially her superiors.
-Tries to be friends with other guards, but is awkward about it.
-One Sentence: Someone who knows her appointment was entirely political, and wants to prove that she is worthy, but has trouble believing that herself.
-Paired with: N/A

-Name: Garn'rath
-Race: tainted drowleth
-Eye Color: Red
-Hair Colour: Orange
-Clan/Faction: Nidra'chal (former Vlozz)
-Profession: Berserker
-Martial ability: Steel club
-Mana affinity: N/A

-Physical Appearance: Massively tall and muscular
-Equipment: Worn and battered Vlozz armor with snarling mask, necklace of drow ears
Appearance Reference: https://i.redd.it/6xsube21hpx01.jpg

-Personality traits: Violent, short tempered, and stupid.
-Favourite sayings: You look tasty
-Favourite activity: Drinking massive amounts of alcohol, at least when not fighting
-Favourite expression: A psychotic smile
-Quirks: -Incredibly gullible
-Forgetful
-Likes to engage in cannibalism, even in battle.
-Treats his seed as his best friend, since they share the same interests.
-One Sentence: A brute who lives for fighting and drinking, especially fighting.
-Paired with: N/A.

-Name: Velis'nar Nal'Sarkoth
-Race: Drowlath (mimian)
-Eye Color: Amber
-Hair Colour: green
-Clan/Faction: Nal'Sarkoth
-Profession: Relic Hunter and bodyguard
-Martial ability: Sword and foci (think FF14 red mage)
-Mana affinity: Fire

-Physical Appearance: Average build. Heavily scarred face that they usually cover up.
-Equipment: Nal'Sarkoth explorer outfit, with mask
Appearance Reference: http://www.drowtales.com/~relichunters/guide.php http://www.drowtales.com/~relichunters/ ... p?sid=6857.

-Personality traits: Highly professional, calm and calculating.
-Favourite sayings: "Listen up you brats, haste only leads quickly to death"
-Favourite activity: Drow equivalent of poker.
-Favourite expression: A bored and disinterested look.
-Quirks: -Dislikes"young punks" (anyone under 60) and thinks they shouldn't be trusted with responsibility.
-Hates crowded spaces
-Obsessively cleans weapons and armor
-One Sentence: A grumpy, taciturn, and overly serious veteran who has seen it all and will let you know it.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Thrair » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:41 pm

Interesting.

Chinua in particular. We know a new Imperial Guard was to be formed with Chrys'tel at the head, and including Nir'naya. But a Sarghress appointed to the position? I don't think that'd have ever happened pre-war. I'd honestly wondered if Quain was going to appoint some of her people to the Guard, but then she got killed. Hard to say how tenable this cameo will be until we get confirmation on a few things regarding the next cameo call. We don't know what shape the Alliance is in. I'd add some depth to their personality traits. Less is more, but two traits isn't a wide spread. Awkwardly trying to be friends with the other guards, though... I love that trait. It could really let Kern stress the divide between the old guard and the new guard, as a Sarghress appointee would NOT go over well with the remaining veteran guards.

Garn'rath is a solid bet for dumb muscle on the Nidraa'chal side of things. He does seem like the type that Snad would consider fully disposable, though. He's a brute, and probably one whose tastes would ultimately prove a liability. I don't see much room for character development should ya make a repeat of this one, but it'll serve the "bad guy" roles Kern's often short of.

Velis'nar is another solid build. We're lacking in the more serious and sombre cameos. And with the Nal'sarkoth's internal status being a bit of an enigma, a mercenary type like this gives Kern some levers should he need to explore the Nal'sarkoth factions a bit, since they're not committed to a specific side. I do think he could use something to spice him up. Maybe develop the quirks a little more. A particular reason for the hatred of crowded spaces and dislike of youngsters? Seems a bit generally asocial, which might be tied into their personality traits.
Thrair
Demon

Postby Ardan Styyx » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:45 pm

Thrair wrote:Thirdly, and this also an example where Jak'iaah shines, recurring cameos are always preferable over new cameos.
Recurring cameos already have appeared in the story. This means both Kern and the reader are somewhat familiar with them, and they have prior interactions in the story that can be developed further. This adds to story cohesion. Do not let this dissuade you from creating a new cameo or persuade you to try and force a cameo to appear in a chapter you don't think suits them.... but, if possible, stick with a cameo you have already begun to develop.

Therefore the Noob's question : instead of creating a (probably) short lived cameo, given we approach the end of the show, are there any "second hand" Cameos, famous but not sponsored anymore and waiting for a new sponsor to "revive" them?

It's not laziness of course (I've got already some characters ideas), but maybe this could satisfy both the fans (who'd like to see some old figures acting again or see them deepening) and the authors (who could use some already known characters, easier to adapt to the story).
Ardan Styyx
Summoner

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Thrair » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:15 am

Well, there's nothing wrong with creating a new cameo if you've never had one. It'll be YOUR character. You might temper you expectations a little, but if you make a strong cameo, it'll still leave an impression.

As far as second hand cameos, you'd have to ask individual sponsors. But that seems a little.... odd. Most sponsors pour their hearts into their cameos and aren't going to want to let someone else make changes or what have you.

There is a subset of cameos that are actually non-cameos sponsored to appear. That could be more your thing. Examples include Thera, Tir'ade, Crossbow Lady, and especially Ky'ovarde. These were all existing characters that someone wanted to have brought back.

If you want to pick an old main cast character that's not appeared of late, you could.
Thrair
Demon

Postby Ardan Styyx » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:58 pm

Thrair wrote:Well, there's nothing wrong with creating a new cameo if you've never had one. It'll be YOUR character. You might temper you expectations a little, but if you make a strong cameo, it'll still leave an impression.

As far as second hand cameos, you'd have to ask individual sponsors. But that seems a little.... odd. Most sponsors pour their hearts into their cameos and aren't going to want to let someone else make changes or what have you.

There is a subset of cameos that are actually non-cameos sponsored to appear. That could be more your thing. Examples include Thera, Tir'ade, Crossbow Lady, and especially Ky'ovarde. These were all existing characters that someone wanted to have brought back.

If you want to pick an old main cast character that's not appeared of late, you could.

Roger all, and many thanks for these explanations

Now, let's try those: (sorry in advance for the typos, I write in a foreign language after all! 8P )

-Name: Ilyth’ria
-Race: Drowolath
-Eye Color: Tainted Red
-Hair Colour: White with glints of blue
-Clan/Faction: Sharen, former Sarv’swati faction
-Profession: Ex-Imperial Guard wanabee, now soldier of fortune
-Martial ability: Sword, daggers, dirty fighting
-Mana affinity: Metal

-Physical Appearance: Medium sized, used to be proudly muscular but is now leaner due to her dire strait
-Equipment: Aging Sharen armor and weapons, completed with patchwork equipment acquired along her tribulation
Appearance Reference: It's more a concept, but I think a lot of a medieval Japan's ronin kind of character, sort of samurai wannabe who saw her house fall in dishonor before she could become somebody https://www.pinterest.fr/pin/437412182544345719/

-Personality traits: Young, proud, nostalgic, angry, phases of deep bitterness and self-loathing.
-Favourite sayings: “Things would have been so different with Sarswati… “
-Favourite activity: Playing Imperial guard when nobody’s watching.
-Favourite expression: Grinding her teeth in anger
-Quirks:
* Former Sarv’swati’s suite member.
* Hates Zala’less. Consider her a usurper and a traitor.
* Despises Sarghress
* Developed a distorted fantasized view of Sarv’swati and former Sharen’s glory
* As a sale sword, tries to be selective on her clients by pride, but fails to.
* Misses fine food and comfort dearly
-One Sentence: After Sarv’swati’s death broke her dream of becoming an Imperial guard, she refused the new Alliance and has tried to survive so far as a sale sword, nurturing her fantasized idea of Sharen’s lost grandeur.
-Paired with: Former lover killed 3 years ago during the fight against the Sarghress.

-Name: Amir’lorel
-Eye Color: Heterochrome (blue and purple)
-Clan/Faction: Sullissin’run
-Profession: Hedonist
-Martial ability: Empathy, Highly manipulative disarming seducer’s skills +19
-Mana affinity: Empath

-Physical Appearance: Tall, Greek-god-proportioned body, very caring of his figure and haircut
-Equipment: Fine clothes, jewelry, perfumes…
Appearance Reference: Think of the super-handsome-playboy-obnoxious guy every male hates (and wish to be), who suddenly found he is totally hollow and vain

-Personality traits: Romantic, seducer, vain, narcissist, conflicted
-Favourite sayings: “Oh yes, this night was absolutely fabulous, dear. Unforgetable *kiss on the forehead*. Now on your way before your mate realizes where you are.”
-Favourite activity: Seducing. Both genders.
-Favourite expression: Awesome irresistible smile.
-Quirks:
* Secretly fell in love with Mel’arnach while she was in custody under the dome (could be the father of Pelan and Octarya?). Writes (rubbish) poems and songs about her.
* Hide the pain caused by his impossible love (and the death of his children?) by acting shallow
* Doesn’t believe in violence
* Always perfectly dressed up. Hates stains, dirt, dust and everything that could affect his look
* Used to disdain children, until Mel’s were killed. Now can’t help looking at them with melancholy.
* Starts to loath his own hedonism
-One Sentence: Blasé and decadent Sul Val, he fell deeply in love to his own surprise, and since then has had a hard time finding a purpose and a way to fill the hollowness in his life.
-Paired with: No attache (but dreams of Mel…)

-Name: Riog’enhal
-Eye Color: Gold
-Hair Colour: Green
-Clan/Faction: Nalsarkoth
-Profession: Agronomist
-Martial ability: Improvised poisons and gas, gardening tools expert
-Mana affinity: Earth & wood

-Physical Appearance: Average size, rather lean, could be handsome but slovenly appearance, magnifying goggles on the forehead
-Equipment: Dusty, dirt stained clothes, satchel full of seeds, samples and vials, belt with gardening tools.
Appearance Reference: the typical autistic PHD, great but totally out of the place in any social event

-Personality traits: Self oblivious, specialist, autistic
-Favourite sayings: “Save for its cumbersome inhabitants, this cavern would be ideal for mushrooms cultivation”
-Favourite activity: Testing experimental parcels with new breeds of plants.
-Favourite expression: Unconcerned look to whatever non-vegetal activity is going on.
-Quirks:
* Prefers plants to animals, including sentient beings
* Works hard to fight starvation, more as a botanist challenge than of love for his fellow drow
* Collects mushrooms, especially the toxic ones
* Likes to explore the Underworld and Surface for new potential growing fields, often at his own risk
-One Sentence: Highly skilled researcher and seasoned explorer, who couldn’t care less about the trivial details of life in society but becomes passionate when talking about his specialty and discoveries.
-Paired with: Not interested, unless she grows in a pot.

-Name: Anyesh’ka
-Eye Color: Light grey
-Hair Colour: Jet black
-Clan/Faction: Beldrobbaen
-Profession: Lady’s companion – bodyguard in training
-Martial ability: Shadows manipulation (in training), daggers and throwing knives
-Mana affinity: Shadow

-Physical Appearance: petite and delicate built, works out a lot to muscle her body
-Equipment: Beldrobbaen dress-code elegant clothes, daggers and knives hidden in her garters and other strategic places.
Appearance Reference: I was thinking of a mix between Waes' maid and a ninja-like https://wallpaperstock.net/fantasy-girl---assassin-wallpapers_w15036.html young and a bit immature girl.

-Personality traits: Young, enthusiastic, loyal, caring, stubborn, self-demanding
-Favourite sayings: “Thank you for your confidence, your Ladyship. I will not disappoint you.” Bows and withdraw, with a silent “yay!” of enthusiasm.
-Favourite activity: Protecting and taking care of Waes’soloth.
-Favourite expression: Suppressed smile of delight.
-Quirks:
* Too loud and demonstrative for the Beldrobbaen, but works on it
* Loyal to the bones to Waes. Seeks her approval.
* Trains a lot to compensate for being too young, too short and lesser born
* Secretly loves bright colors, parties and dancing
* Kahl‘harror’s greatest fan
-One Sentence: Born in a lesser house of the clan, her unexpected position thanks to her rare affinity is an opportunity to prove herself to the Ill’haress and she is ready to accept any task she would order her.
Ardan Styyx
Summoner

Postby Junglefowl26 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:37 pm

Thinking about the idea of reoccuring cameos being preferred, this chapter might be a good opportunity to bring back Kyu'dosha...but I am not really sure how to update her (especially without really knowing) Especially her character design - I love it so much I can't bare to change anything about it, even if in retrospect it might be a bit too busy to easily draw.

Also, now that I have seen the cameo call poster...well, annoyingly I am still not sure what the factions will be for the next chapter, but it certainly makes the themes more apocalyptic than I was expecting. Which has given me a couple of ideas

1) To make Garn'narth a sentient demon instead of a berserker (maybe have him as a berserker who completely gave into his demon side). That would be a good way to play up his oni theme even more.

2) A whole new cameo idea:

-Name: Lyra
-Race: Rift Halme
-Eye Color: Milky white
-Hair Colour: Black
-Clan/Faction: (ex-)Sarghress
-Profession: Demon Hunter
-Martial ability: Spear

-Physical Appearance: Tall and athletic build, byt rift halme standards
-Equipment: Scavenged and worn Sarghress skimisher gear http://wiki.drowtales.com/images/2/25/S ... misher.jpg
Appearance Reference: Above armor mixed with a gender flip of this: https://www.darkswordminiatures.com/sho ... 17_f_p.jpg

-Personality traits: Proud, greedy, passionate
-Favourite sayings: The more terrified the drow are, the bigger the profit.
-Favourite activity: Arm wrestling.
-Favourite expression: A smug smirk
-Quirks: - Loves to show up drow whenever possible
-Collects demon parts as trophies
-Uses any excuse to raise the price of her services, even mid-battle
-Thinks "goblins can't use mana" is elf propaganda and is trying to learn how to do sorcery.
-One Sentence: An experienced war meat who has taken up full time demon hunting as a profession and hobby

Though I might go with a sword after seeing this picture: https://pre00.deviantart.net/3f8f/th/pr ... a15zcu.png

Thrair wrote:Interesting.

Thanks!

Thrair wrote:Chinua in particular. We know a new Imperial Guard was to be formed with Chrys'tel at the head, and including Nir'naya. But a Sarghress appointed to the position? I don't think that'd have ever happened pre-war. I'd honestly wondered if Quain was going to appoint some of her people to the Guard, but then she got killed. Hard to say how tenable this cameo will be until we get confirmation on a few things regarding the next cameo call. We don't know what shape the Alliance is in. I'd add some depth to their personality traits. Less is more, but two traits isn't a wide spread. Awkwardly trying to be friends with the other guards, though... I love that trait. It could really let Kern stress the divide between the old guard and the new guard, as a Sarghress appointee would NOT go over well with the remaining veteran guards.

Glad you liked her -that unusual political situation* and resulting tension is what I was going for with her. The Sharen and Sarghress kind of need each other at the moment, from what I can tell - the Sarghress need the Sharen political support and supplies, and the Sharen need the Sarghress muscle. So the Sarghress get an imperial guard...but yeah, she is hated by the older guard, and frankly probably wasn't too popular with the Sarghs if she got stuck with the job to play nanny to some Vals.

But yeah, definitely need more info on the political situation in Chel before going forward with the idea. The poster for this cameo drive is looking more apocalyptic than I was expecting, so maybe the political angle is not the best to go for.

And yeah she is a little bland - I think I took your advice to keep simple a bit too far.

Funny thing, I had forgot I had done the basic idea in the last thread and looking it over that version was a bit more interesting:
Sarghress Overseer
Name: Prea'toria Sarghress
Race: Drowlath
Build: Average
Hair color: White with red streaks
Mana ability: light
Matrial ability: katars, patterned after wolf claws
Mate: None

Quirks:
-Eager to please and self-conscious (aware that her job position is purely political and wants to prove she is worthy)
-Figits a lot.
-Overthinks her orders
-Overly formal and polite most of the time, curses a lot when frustrated.

I mean, still kind of focused on the one thing, but with a bit of a contrast by having a foul mouth.

I also considered giving her a crush on Chrys, but I thought that might be too specific. Also a bit overdone as a cameo quirk...

So I am very much open to advice and suggestions here for more and better quirks.

Also which name is better - Prea'toria is obviously a bit on the nose for imperial guard but it sounds nice to me, meanwhile Chinua, which is Mongolian for wolf, works but doesn't strike me as memorable.

*Well, I dunno. As tense as things were between the Sarghs and Sharen they were part of the same empire and system, and there seems to have been some cooperation - for example, the prologue has Sarghress participating in a parade in Diva's honor. So a Sarghress imperial guard might have been possible, if not likely (an almost certainly purged with the Dutanvir guard after the Nid war)

Thrair wrote:Garn'rath is a solid bet for dumb muscle on the Nidraa'chal side of things. He does seem like the type that Snad would consider fully disposable, though. He's a brute, and probably one whose tastes would ultimately prove a liability. I don't see much room for character development should ya make a repeat of this one, but it'll serve the "bad guy" roles Kern's often short of.

To be honest he is kind of disposable to me too - I would make him a cameo with the hope that he gets killed by the heroes, since I figure Kern could use some of those instead of cameos that the submitter is attached too.

Plus, I figured we had so many nice, friendly berserkers we could use proper ones.

Thrair wrote:Velis'nar is another solid build. We're lacking in the more serious and sombre cameos. And with the Nal'sarkoth's internal status being a bit of an enigma, a mercenary type like this gives Kern some levers should he need to explore the Nal'sarkoth factions a bit, since they're not committed to a specific side. I do think he could use something to spice him up. Maybe develop the quirks a little more. A particular reason for the hatred of crowded spaces and dislike of youngsters? Seems a bit generally asocial, which might be tied into their personality traits.

Thanks, I hadn't even thought of many of those advantages.

As for the whys of the traits - well, I believe we are supposed to avoid backstories, buuuutt: The basic idea is that when she was young she was reckless - which resulted in her getting a face full of acidic spores. This made her a lot more cuatious...and basically her dislike of her past self makes her distrustful of anyone who reminds her of her past self.

Similarly, the dislike of crowded spaces also comes from her borderline paranoid approach to relic hunting - she just isn't used to being in crowds, and the restriction on her movement and the amount of factors and potential threats to analyze is simply overwhelming. Plus, I think near death experiences have left her somewhat claustrophobic in general.

As for quirks...well, this is another character idea I have been toying with from the beginning and have a lot of old versions to look over.
In fact, in the very beginning of the other cameo thread:
I was also thinking of going with a climber type character with a pure love of exploration, or perhaps a more plant focused person with wood sorcery and a hobby of cataloguing rare plants of the overworld (maybe even flower pressing).

(Also interesting that there I had her protective of clanmates and rookiees instead of resentful. Huh.)

Ardan Styyx wrote:

Roger all, and many thanks for these explanations

Now, let's try those: (sorry in advance for the typos, I write in a foreign language after all! 8P )

-Eye Color: Tainted Red
-Hair Colour: White with glints of blue
-Martial ability: Sword, daggers, dirty fighting

-Physical Appearance: Medium sized, used to be proudly muscular but is now leaner due to her dire strait
-Equipment: Aging Sharen armor and weapons, completed with patchwork equipment acquired along her tribulation
Appearance Reference: It's more a concept, but I think a lot of a medieval Japan's ronin kind of character, sort of samurai wannabe who saw her house fall in dishonor before she could become somebody https://www.pinterest.fr/pin/437412182544345719/

-Personality traits: Young, proud, nostalgic, angry, phases of deep bitterness and self-loathing.
-Favourite sayings: “Things would have been so different with Sarswati… “
-Favourite activity: Playing Imperial guard when nobody’s watching.
-Favourite expression: Grinding her teeth in anger
-Quirks:
* Former Sarv’swati’s suite member.
* Hates Zala’less. Consider her a usurper and a traitor.
* Despises Sarghress
* Developed a distorted fantasized view of Sarv’swati and former Sharen’s glory
* As a sale sword, tries to be selective on her clients by pride, but fails to.
* Misses fine food and comfort dearly
-One Sentence: After Sarv’swati’s death broke her dream of becoming an Imperial guard, she refused the new Alliance and has tried to survive so far as a sale sword, nurturing her fantasized idea of Sharen’s lost grandeur.
-Paired with: Former lover killed 3 years ago during the fight against the Sarghress.

Ah, a very cool idea. Builds nicely on the established lore and past events of the comic.

Though, since cameos do tend to be faction based, which faction would she be a part of? Hates Zala's Sharen, hates Sarghs, sounds like she would hate the Nids if she had any of idea of their role in all this...so, given that it can be hard to work in a completely independent role, what do you imagine her doing in the comic.

Ardan Styyx wrote:-Name: Amir’lorel
-Eye Color: Heterochrome (blue and purple)
-Martial ability: Empathy, Highly manipulative disarming seducer’s skills +19
-Mana affinity: Empath

-Physical Appearance: Tall, Greek-god-proportioned body, very caring of his figure and haircut
-Equipment: Fine clothes, jewelry, perfumes…
Appearance Reference: Think of the super-handsome-playboy-obnoxious guy every male hates (and wish to be), who suddenly found he is totally hollow and vain

-Personality traits: Romantic, seducer, vain, narcissist, conflicted
-Favourite sayings: “Oh yes, this night was absolutely fabulous, dear. Unforgetable *kiss on the forehead*. Now on your way before your mate realizes where you are.”
-Favourite activity: Seducing. Both genders.
-Favourite expression: Awesome irresistible smile.
-Quirks:
* Secretly fell in love with Mel’arnach while she was in custody under the dome (could be the father of Pelan and Octarya?). Writes (rubbish) poems and songs about her.
* Hide the pain caused by his impossible love (and the death of his children?) by acting shallow
* Doesn’t believe in violence
* Always perfectly dressed up. Hates stains, dirt, dust and everything that could affect his look
* Used to disdain children, until Mel’s were killed. Now can’t help looking at them with melancholy.
* Starts to loath his own hedonism
-One Sentence: Blasé and decadent Sul Val, he fell deeply in love to his own surprise, and since then has had a hard time finding a purpose and a way to fill the hollowness in his life.

Another good one. I hadn't really though much about how the Sul might have seen Mel during her years there, but I like this take on it.

Now, Kern doesn't usually allow close connections to main characters, so being the biological father of Mel's kids might be a bit much, but he has made exceptions, like Kiel's cousin Fame who became a fan and staff favorite.

I am curious what Amir thinks of the Sarghs besides Mel. Does he hate them for what they put Mel through, or does he like that they gave him the opportunity to meet her? Is he angry about the war taking the Sul's money and food, making it harder to be decadent?
And what of Snad and the Nids? Love rival, or a chance to return to the hedonistic lifestyle?

Ardan Styyx wrote:-Name: Riog’enhal
-Eye Color: Gold
-Hair Colour: Green
-Martial ability: Improvised poisons and gas, gardening tools expert
-Mana affinity: Earth & wood

-Physical Appearance: Average size, rather lean, could be handsome but slovenly appearance, magnifying goggles on the forehead
-Equipment: Dusty, dirt stained clothes, satchel full of seeds, samples and vials, belt with gardening tools.
Appearance Reference: the typical autistic PHD, great but totally out of the place in any social event

-Personality traits: Self oblivious, specialist, autistic
-Favourite sayings: “Save for its cumbersome inhabitants, this cavern would be ideal for mushrooms cultivation”
-Favourite activity: Testing experimental parcels with new breeds of plants.
-Favourite expression: Unconcerned look to whatever non-vegetal activity is going on.
-Quirks:
* Prefers plants to animals, including sentient beings
* Works hard to fight starvation, more as a botanist challenge than of love for his fellow drow
* Collects mushrooms, especially the toxic ones
* Likes to explore the Underworld and Surface for new potential growing fields, often at his own risk
-One Sentence: Highly skilled researcher and seasoned explorer, who couldn’t care less about the trivial details of life in society but becomes passionate when talking about his specialty and discoveries.

Very interesting. I like the very Nal spin on the basic idea of a mad scientist character.

Again I wonder what role you imagine them playing in the story: A Nid working on the flower project? A Nal official who gets dragged into politics despite an anti-social disposition? Something else?

Ardan Styyx wrote:-Name: Anyesh’ka
-Eye Color: Light grey
-Hair Colour: Jet black
-Martial ability: Shadows manipulation (in training), daggers and throwing knives
-Mana affinity: Shadow

-Physical Appearance: petite and delicate built, works out a lot to muscle her body
-Equipment: Beldrobbaen dress-code elegant clothes, daggers and knives hidden in her garters and other strategic places.
Appearance Reference: I was thinking of a mix between Waes' maid and a ninja-like https://wallpaperstock.net/fantasy-girl---assassin-wallpapers_w15036.html young and a bit immature girl.

-Personality traits: Young, enthusiastic, loyal, caring, stubborn, self-demanding
-Favourite sayings: “Thank you for your confidence, your Ladyship. I will not disappoint you.” Bows and withdraw, with a silent “yay!” of enthusiasm.
-Favourite activity: Protecting and taking care of Waes’soloth.
-Favourite expression: Suppressed smile of delight.
-Quirks:
* Too loud and demonstrative for the Beldrobbaen, but works on it
* Loyal to the bones to Waes. Seeks her approval.
* Trains a lot to compensate for being too young, too short and lesser born
* Secretly loves bright colors, parties and dancing
* Kahl‘harror’s greatest fan
-One Sentence: Born in a lesser house of the clan, her unexpected position thanks to her rare affinity is an opportunity to prove herself to the Ill’haress and she is ready to accept any task she would order her.

Ah, the classic ninja maid.

I especially like her being a fan of Khal'horror, and the fact she is both loyal to Waes and a yet someone who seems to identify more with the movement of the younger people in the clan rather than the old conservatives. Well done.

If I had a question for this one it would be: if she were to appear side by side with Ischa, what would be the main difference between them, and how would they get along?
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Ardan Styyx » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:26 am

Many thanks for the feedback!
I am not quite sure how the rest of the process works, but I'll check on that during this afternoon session (tonight for me).

Junglefowl26 wrote:-Name: Lyra
-Race: Rift Halme
-Eye Color: Milky white
-Hair Colour: Black
-Clan/Faction: (ex-)Sarghress
-Profession: Demon Hunter
-Martial ability: Spear

-Physical Appearance: Tall and athletic build, byt rift halme standards
-Equipment: Scavenged and worn Sarghress skimisher gear http://wiki.drowtales.com/images/2/25/S ... misher.jpg
Appearance Reference: Above armor mixed with a gender flip of this: https://www.darkswordminiatures.com/sho ... 17_f_p.jpg

-Personality traits: Proud, greedy, passionate
-Favourite sayings: The more terrified the drow are, the bigger the profit.
-Favourite activity: Arm wrestling.
-Favourite expression: A smug smirk
-Quirks: - Loves to show up drow whenever possible
-Collects demon parts as trophies
-Uses any excuse to raise the price of her services, even mid-battle
-Thinks "goblins can't use mana" is elf propaganda and is trying to learn how to do sorcery.
-One Sentence: An experienced war meat who has taken up full time demon hunting as a profession and hobby

I like the idea of bringing Goblins into the story. After the expedition to the surface of the first chapters, they've been confined to a (not so) distant, not very defined threat, with the notable exception of Valeria. And considering demons affect everything and everyone, having them coming to the front scene while the drow keep on fighting their inner suicidal war is very logical.

Now, how would she be brought to the story? As a lone wolf, or within a larger party of goblins in a kind of expeditionary force? Is she still on the surface, attacking the colonies or did she ventured already in the Underworld? Despite her being obviously drowphobic, would she consider allying herself with, say the Dutan'vir or joining some Kiorl's pack to pursue the hunt of the demons?
What would happen if, while attacking Ys she meets Valeria?

Junglefowl26 wrote:Ardan Styyx a écrit:

Ah, a very cool idea. Builds nicely on the established lore and past events of the comic.

Though, since cameos do tend to be faction based, which faction would she be a part of? Hates Zala's Sharen, hates Sarghs, sounds like she would hate the Nids if she had any of idea of their role in all this...so, given that it can be hard to work in a completely independent role, what do you imagine her doing in the comic.

She obviously can't join the Alliance, therefore cannot be part of the Sharen nor the Sarg's as they are. However as you very well pointed out, being isolated in this kind of world is not a lasting situation. So multiple options here:
- She has heard of the Wolfpack rising and would consider helping them (the enemy of my enemy is my friend... kind of), especially if a strong, tall and charismatic (Sarv'swati-like) figure emerges from the chaos in Felde. Anyway, even if not for love of them, they represent an interesting tool to potentially take down the hated Alliance, opening the way to a more acceptable Empress.
- Which leads to the possibility of being in contact with Nishi'kanta's supporters like Chess'riia, herself representing a kind of "third way", very attached to the restoration of Sharen's honor. Of course, their view on the definition of honor might diverge...
- She's been approached by Sil'lice's party and, after a complicated explanation (NO, Sarsv'swati was NOT a traitor to the Empress! Take that back this instant!) would be inclined to join them. She doesn't like the Ice Queen, but she can't deny she, at least, was true to her own ideas.

In any case, the Nids (her being aware of them or not) are the enemy.

Last (but not least) possibility : With the rebirth of the Dutan'vir, she could find a temporary honorable employer : the Ssu's are probably in need of some good swords to defend their precarious domain, and that would klick well with the potential "demon oriented" coming chapters. Plus, the rebirth of the clan goes really well in the context of Ilyth'ria's fantasied view of what Sharen's could be (or have been) and "Honor can do miracles" kind of ideas.

-Name: Amir’lorel

Another good one. I hadn't really though much about how the Sul might have seen Mel during her years there, but I like this take on it.

Now, Kern doesn't usually allow close connections to main characters, so being the biological father of Mel's kids might be a bit much, but he has made exceptions, like Kiel's cousin Fame who became a fan and staff favorite.

I am curious what Amir thinks of the Sarghs besides Mel. Does he hate them for what they put Mel through, or does he like that they gave him the opportunity to meet her? Is he angry about the war taking the Sul's money and food, making it harder to be decadent?
And what of Snad and the Nids? Love rival, or a chance to return to the hedonistic lifestyle?

Well, I know it's a bit daring to propose a potential father to Octarya and Pelan but I found the idea kind of cool :)
Plus the silly-romantic and a bit vain side of him can bring some comical elements to a rather gloomy chronic.

For Amir, the Sarghs are a band of gross uneducated, styleless mercenaries. Their former brutish leader (Quain) couldn't see the fine jewel her daughter was. She, on the other side, in addition of being stunning beautiful, not only had the exoticism of a barbarian princess, but also a oh-so-romantic-melancholy which melted his heart.

He could easily be manipulated by the Nids with false promises of being part of Mel's life, and worst than that, he could be very well aware of it (he's kind of an expert in manipulation himself) but not being able (or willing) to do anything about it. He could very well betray (or already have betrayed) Ash, despising her for supporting the Sargs and ruining the clan in this pointless effort.
However, his love for Mel and, by extension, for her children would make it easy to turn him, if truth were to be revealed to him. Especially, any way to see Snadya'run fall would be very welcomed.

-Name: Riog’enhal

Very interesting. I like the very Nal spin on the basic idea of a mad scientist character.

Again I wonder what role you imagine them playing in the story: A Nid working on the flower project? A Nal official who gets dragged into politics despite an anti-social disposition? Something else?

As a mad scientist, considerations of moral and integrity are not in his frame. He's been given some good opportunities of research and experiment thanks to the rise of his clan supported by the ongoing struggle, and is very happy with it. So yes, he is currently working for the Nids.
Now, would he discover they are purposely destroying cultivations to maintain the food-shortage and the pressure in Chel (or anywhere else), he would immediately rise against them. 'cause killing plants and wasting good soil is an unforgivable crime!
Additionally, shall he be given better opportunities to work on his passion, like being hired by the Dutan'vir to develop a self-sustaining domain (a real challenge), he would not hesitate long. This would lead him to be dragged into politics despite himself, as you mentioned.

-Name: Anyesh’ka

Ah, the classic ninja maid.

I especially like her being a fan of Khal'horror, and the fact she is both loyal to Waes and a yet someone who seems to identify more with the movement of the younger people in the clan rather than the old conservatives. Well done.

If I had a question for this one it would be: if she were to appear side by side with Ischa, what would be the main difference between them, and how would they get along?

Rereading Ischa's description, I realized Anyesh'ka shares indeed a lot of similarities with her. It's not surprising though, the former being among my favorite cameos. :]
Now, Ischa has joined the Wolfpack, and her last encounter with her father and Banjax showed she has chosen her side. She might still be fond of Waes, but right now she's following her own path, which is not necessarily the Beld's anymore.

As for Anyesh'ka, her loyalty goes first and for all to her Ill'haress. She would not consider Ischa a traitor (she could even admire her freedom of thinking somehow), but she does not support her leaving the clan to join the Wolfpack. Even if the Beld need to evolve, being at the side of her leader is the thing to do.
Now, what is Waes' agenda? That's the real question. Anyesh'ka, being not very noticeable and in her eagerness to please and prove herself would be a useful agent to her Ill'haress to spy on the Nids or to make contacts with potential allies.

Junglefowl26 wrote:Also, now that I have seen the cameo call poster...well, annoyingly I am still not sure what the factions will be for the next chapter, but it certainly makes the themes more apocalyptic than I was expecting. Which has given me a couple of ideas

Same here.

EDIT: here are the new ideas:

-Name: Amal’thya
-Race: Drowussu
-Eye Color: Tainted red (missing one)
-Hair Colour: White, shaved on one side
-Clan/Faction: Dutan’vir, former Sargh’ress ot Mae’yukir house
-Profession: Sealer
-Martial ability: Sealing, Halberd
-Physical Appearance: Rather tall and well built for a Ssu, she misses an eye, part of an ear and wears a long scar on the side of her face from chin to middle head, caused by the sword blow who nearly killed her. Had her injured side heavily tattooed. Shave this side of her head, wears her hair the other side long.
-Equipment: Old, battered Dutan’vir battle equipment, with newer Sarg’s additions where she has erased the clan’s symbol to replace it by the new Dutan’vir emblem.
Appearance Reference: https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/DwYmb6xgJtb36lISm30UZA--~A/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9NDg2O2g9NzUw/http://media.zenfs.com/en/homerun/feed_manager_auto_publish_494/95f85885efcdeed5297190946d24c403 With the scar and injuries described above and a heavier tattoo (https://www.weetnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/10-Super.jpg)
-Personality traits: Revengeful, suspicious, fearless, flirting, tactile
-Favourite sayings: “Hey cutie, what do you hide under these fine outfits of yours?” Grabs his waist and start searching him with a voracious smile but a suspicious glance.
-Favourite activity: Combing her hair (the remaining side).
-Favourite expression: Side smirk, both seductive and inquisitive.
-Quirks:
* Former Mae’yukir’s house member, she nearly escaped Koil’dorath fate during Sang’s coup.
* Dutan’vir is both her original and new home. She’ll die defending it.
* Feels deeply betrayed by the Sargs
* Proud of her injuries. Thinks they magnify her beauty.
* Loves perfumes (even stale ones)
-One Sentence: Seasoned sealer caught in the Sargh’ress inner struggles, she’s now part of her rebirthing original clan, determined to get rid of the traitors, the demons, the Nids and every scum within drow society.
-Paired with: A member of the Dutan’vir domain (male or female... how about Crossbow Woman?).

-Name: Myrial
-Eye Color: Tainted red
-Hair Colour: White, short
-Clan/Faction: Chel’s Commoner
-Profession: Children thief / beggar band leader
-Martial ability: Backstab, hiding, running
-Mana affinity: none
-Physical Appearance: Taller than average for her age, very lean, lash scars on her back
-Equipment: Worn out dark outfits, rusty daggers, black hooded cloak.
Appearance Reference:http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=7748 http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=7749, this kind of smart, manipulative kid, https://s1.qwant.com/thumbr/0x380/9/6/dbb12a11e8a452dd99baaa32403f3dc73e63576f81506547c110d1294ebc1f/250px-Dini.jpg?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwiki.rpg.net%2Fimages%2Fthumb%2F4%2F41%2FDini.jpg%2F250px-Dini.jpg&q=0&b=1&p=0&a=1
-Personality traits: Resourceful, survivor, caring, idealistic, concerned, generous
-Favourite sayings: “Beg you pardon, your highness… I’ll be on my way now.”
-Favourite activity: Taking care of the (numerous) lost kids in her band.
-Favourite expression: Reassuring, already too old and concerned smile.
-Quirks:
* Tainted by an infestation which killed her parents.
* Hates demons and summoners.
* Very maternal with her band. Feels responsible for her “family”.
* Loves stealing make up and beauty items. Plays with it.
* Read Quain’s (fictionalized) story. Four times.
-One Sentence: One of many collaterals of the ongoing struggles in Chel, she is an early orphan who managed to survive thanks to her cunning spirit and thieving abilities, taking care of many other lost children and orphans in the slums of the city.
Ardan Styyx
Summoner

Postby Junglefowl26 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:15 pm

Ardan Styyx wrote:Many thanks for the feedback!

No problem!

And thanks for yours as well!

I am not quite sure how the rest of the process works, but I'll check on that during this afternoon session (tonight for me).

Just paying for a cameo and sending it to Kern I think.

I like the idea of bringing Goblins into the story. After the expedition to the surface of the first chapters, they've been confined to a (not so) distant, not very defined threat, with the notable exception of Valeria. And considering demons affect everything and everyone, having them coming to the front scene while the drow keep on fighting their inner suicidal war is very logical.

Now, how would she be brought to the story? As a lone wolf, or within a larger party of goblins in a kind of expeditionary force? Is she still on the surface, attacking the colonies or did she ventured already in the Underworld? Despite her being obviously drowphobic, would she consider allying herself with, say the Dutan'vir or joining some Kiorl's pack to pursue the hunt of the demons?
What would happen if, while attacking Ys she meets Valeria?

Oh, uh -

To clarify, the Sarghress have a division of goblin soldiers known as the War Meat, who are often sent after demons since they can't be infected by demon seeds. So my character is either one of those, or an ex one of those who went into business for herself.

Furthermore, rift halmes are to halmes what drow are to elves, so this goblin has lived in Chel her own life and has never been to the surface.

As for Vaelia, I think this cameo would be starstruck to meet Vaelia, a fellow goblin who managed to win respect and rank amongst the drow.
I was also thinking of having this character as a former gladiator from the Black Dragon Tavern who was freed by the Sarghress way back when, so she might no Vaelia personally.

She obviously can't join the Alliance, therefore cannot be part of the Sharen nor the Sarg's as they are. However as you very well pointed out, being isolated in this kind of world is not a lasting situation. So multiple options here:
- She has heard of the Wolfpack rising and would consider helping them (the enemy of my enemy is my friend... kind of), especially if a strong, tall and charismatic (Sarv'swati-like) figure emerges from the chaos in Felde. Anyway, even if not for love of them, they represent an interesting tool to potentially take down the hated Alliance, opening the way to a more acceptable Empress.
- Which leads to the possibility of being in contact with Nishi'kanta's supporters like Chess'riia, herself representing a kind of "third way", very attached to the restoration of Sharen's honor. Of course, their view on the definition of honor might diverge...
- She's been approached by Sil'lice's party and, after a complicated explanation (NO, Sarsv'swati was NOT a traitor to the Empress! Take that back this instant!) would be inclined to join them. She doesn't like the Ice Queen, but she can't deny she, at least, was true to her own ideas.

In any case, the Nids (her being aware of them or not) are the enemy.

Last (but not least) possibility : With the rebirth of the Dutan'vir, she could find a temporary honorable employer : the Ssu's are probably in need of some good swords to defend their precarious domain, and that would klick well with the potential "demon oriented" coming chapters. Plus, the rebirth of the clan goes really well in the context of Ilyth'ria's fantasied view of what Sharen's could be (or have been) and "Honor can do miracles" kind of ideas.

Interesting ideas.

I mean, Silice, Nishi, and many of the surviving Dutanvir did work against Sarv as well (in fact, Nishi's line sabotaging first landing's defenses are a major reason Sarv lost - otherwise her forces would have held out long enough to be reinforced by Zala and the westerners) but I can see them being the best of many bad options here.

(I could really see her joining up with the Siksa'santi, a minor clan that highly values honor and was allied to the Sharen...assuming they weren't wiped out in the war of course. But I doubt they would be a faction likely to appear in the story again at any rate.)

Hopefully once the factions are revealed things will be more clear, and a good choice will become apparent

Well, I know it's a bit daring to propose a potential father to Octarya and Pelan but I found the idea kind of cool :)
Plus the silly-romantic and a bit vain side of him can bring some comical elements to a rather gloomy chronic.

For Amir, the Sarghs are a band of gross uneducated, styleless mercenaries. Their former brutish leader (Quain) couldn't see the fine jewel her daughter was. She, on the other side, in addition of being stunning beautiful, not only had the exoticism of a barbarian princess, but also a oh-so-romantic-melancholy which melted his heart.

He could easily be manipulated by the Nids with false promises of being part of Mel's life, and worst than that, he could be very well aware of it (he's kind of an expert in manipulation himself) but not being able (or willing) to do anything about it. He could very well betray (or already have betrayed) Ash, despising her for supporting the Sargs and ruining the clan in this pointless effort.
However, his love for Mel and, by extension, for her children would make it easy to turn him, if truth were to be revealed to him. Especially, any way to see Snadya'run fall would be very welcomed.

I see, I see. Yes, that all works together very well indeed.

As a mad scientist, considerations of moral and integrity are not in his frame. He's been given some good opportunities of research and experiment thanks to the rise of his clan supported by the ongoing struggle, and is very happy with it. So yes, he is currently working for the Nids.
Now, would he discover they are purposely destroying cultivations to maintain the food-shortage and the pressure in Chel (or anywhere else), he would immediately rise against them. 'cause killing plants and wasting good soil is an unforgivable crime!
Additionally, shall he be given better opportunities to work on his passion, like being hired by the Dutan'vir to develop a self-sustaining domain (a real challenge), he would not hesitate long. This would lead him to be dragged into politics despite himself, as you mentioned.

Lots of interesting possibilities here, very cool!

Rereading Ischa's description, I realized Anyesh'ka shares indeed a lot of similarities with her. It's not surprising though, the former being among my favorite cameos. :]
Now, Ischa has joined the Wolfpack, and her last encounter with her father and Banjax showed she has chosen her side. She might still be fond of Waes, but right now she's following her own path, which is not necessarily the Beld's anymore.

As for Anyesh'ka, her loyalty goes first and for all to her Ill'haress. She would not consider Ischa a traitor (she could even admire her freedom of thinking somehow), but she does not support her leaving the clan to join the Wolfpack. Even if the Beld need to evolve, being at the side of her leader is the thing to do.
Now, what is Waes' agenda? That's the real question. Anyesh'ka, being not very noticeable and in her eagerness to please and prove herself would be a useful agent to her Ill'haress to spy on the Nids or to make contacts with potential allies.

All very true.

It would be fascinating to see the two cameos interact, that is for sure.

-Name: Amal’thya
-Race: Drowussu
-Eye Color: Tainted red (missing one)
-Hair Colour: White, shaved on one side
-Clan/Faction: Dutan’vir, former Sargh’ress ot Mae’yukir house
-Profession: Sealer
-Martial ability: Sealing, Halberd
-Physical Appearance: Rather tall and well built for a Ssu, she misses an eye, part of an ear and wears a long scar on the side of her face from chin to middle head, caused by the sword blow who nearly killed her. Had her injured side heavily tattooed. Shave this side of her head, wears her hair the other side long.
-Equipment: Old, battered Dutan’vir battle equipment, with newer Sarg’s additions where she has erased the clan’s symbol to replace it by the new Dutan’vir emblem.
Appearance Reference: https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/DwYmb ... 946d24c403 With the scar and injuries described above and a heavier tattoo (https://www.weetnow.com/wp-content/uplo ... -Super.jpg)
-Personality traits: Revengeful, suspicious, fearless, flirting, tactile
-Favourite sayings: “Hey cutie, what do you hide under these fine outfits of yours?” Grabs his waist and start searching him with a voracious smile but a suspicious glance.
-Favourite activity: Combing her hair (the remaining side).
-Favourite expression: Side smirk, both seductive and inquisitive.
-Quirks:
* Former Mae’yukir’s house member, she nearly escaped Koil’dorath fate during Sang’s coup.
* Dutan’vir is both her original and new home. She’ll die defending it.
* Feels deeply betrayed by the Sargs
* Proud of her injuries. Thinks they magnify her beauty.
* Loves perfumes (even stale ones)
-One Sentence: Seasoned sealer caught in the Sargh’ress inner struggles, she’s now part of her rebirthing original clan, determined to get rid of the traitors, the demons, the Nids and every scum within drow society.
-Paired with: A member of the Dutan’vir domain (male or female... how about Crossbow Woman?).

Very cool.
With so many Dooters in the Wolf Pack, we need some more outside it.

As for the pairing...you have to ask permission of whoever owns the other...but I am not sure who that would be, since it was a sponsoring of a Kern created character.

-Name: Myrial
-Eye Color: Tainted red
-Hair Colour: White, short
-Clan/Faction: Chel’s Commoner
-Profession: Children thief / beggar band leader
-Martial ability: Backstab, hiding, running
-Mana affinity: none
-Physical Appearance: Taller than average for her age, very lean, lash scars on her back
-Equipment: Worn out dark outfits, rusty daggers, black hooded cloak.
Appearance Reference:http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=7748 http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=7749, this kind of smart, manipulative kid, https://s1.qwant.com/thumbr/0x380/9/6/d ... =1&p=0&a=1
-Personality traits: Resourceful, survivor, caring, idealistic, concerned, generous
-Favourite sayings: “Beg you pardon, your highness… I’ll be on my way now.”
-Favourite activity: Taking care of the (numerous) lost kids in her band.
-Favourite expression: Reassuring, already too old and concerned smile.
-Quirks:
* Tainted by an infestation which killed her parents.
* Hates demons and summoners.
* Very maternal with her band. Feels responsible for her “family”.
* Loves stealing make up and beauty items. Plays with it.
* Read Quain’s (fictionalized) story. Four times.
-One Sentence: One of many collaterals of the ongoing struggles in Chel, she is an early orphan who managed to survive thanks to her cunning spirit and thieving abilities, taking care of many other lost children and orphans in the slums of the city.

Oh, are you sponsoring a kid from that scene, or just referencing them as examples of what Chelian street rats look like?
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Ardan Styyx » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:57 pm

Junglefowl26 wrote:Oh, uh -

To clarify, the Sarghress have a division of goblin soldiers known as the War Meat, who are often sent after demons since they can't be infected by demon seeds. So my character is either one of those, or an ex one of those who went into business for herself.

Furthermore, rift halmes are to halmes what drow are to elves, so this goblin has lived in Chel her own life and has never been to the surface.

As for Vaelia, I think this cameo would be starstruck to meet Vaelia, a fellow goblin who managed to win respect and rank amongst the drow.
I was also thinking of having this character as a former gladiator from the Black Dragon Tavern who was freed by the Sarghress way back when, so she might no Vaelia personally.

Ok, got it. I did not have this fine knowledge on the goblin's Sargs. Interesting indeed, especially thinking of her meeting with Vaelia!

Junglefowl26 wrote: Oh, are you sponsoring a kid from that scene, or just referencing them as examples of what Chelian street rats look like?

Well the idea here was to propose both an original character and an opportunity to focus on the dreadful consequences of the war on common people. I found the small episode of chapter 31 inspiring, and also frustrating because (like often in this comic) the idea of commoner's kids being part of a thieves band or some organized crime was not developed.
But like for Ilyth'ria, Myrial is too "street-oriented" to really clic with any of the factions proposed in the cameo call.

I submitted both Amir'lorel and Amal'thya to Kern. He seems to be ok with both 8)
Although I'm waiting a written confirmation for Amir being the father of Mel's Children (paternity test? 8P )
Ardan Styyx
Summoner

Postby Junglefowl26 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:29 pm

Ardan Styyx wrote:
Junglefowl26 wrote:Oh, uh -

Ok, got it. I did not have this fine knowledge on the goblin's Sargs. Interesting indeed, especially thinking of her meeting with Vaelia!

Junglefowl26 wrote: Oh, are you sponsoring a kid from that scene, or just referencing them as examples of what Chelian street rats look like?

Well the idea here was to propose both an original character and an opportunity to focus on the dreadful consequences of the war on common people. I found the small episode of chapter 31 inspiring, and also frustrating because (like often in this comic) the idea of commoner's kids being part of a thieves band or some organized crime was not developed.
But like for Ilyth'ria, Myrial is too "street-oriented" to really clic with any of the factions proposed in the cameo call.

I submitted both Amir'lorel and Amal'thya to Kern. He seems to be ok with both 8)
Although I'm waiting a written confirmation for Amir being the father of Mel's Children (paternity test? 8P )

Thanks! Yeah, her meeting Vaelia would have been interesting, though ultimately I decided to go with bringing back my existing cameos rather than making new ones.

Also, yeah, there are a lot of interesting stories to tell about the common people surviving in these changing circumstances, but it can be pretty hard to actually fit such characters into this story of high politics among cutthroat factions.

Good choice of cameos though, I look forward to seeing them in the comic.

(Though sometimes Kern only brings up his objections later, like I found out with Xen - I originally had him as a Sul, and it was only when Kern was drawing the concept art that he told me that would have to be changed)
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Thrair » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:52 am

Junglefowl26 wrote:(Though sometimes Kern only brings up his objections later, like I found out with Xen - I originally had him as a Sul, and it was only when Kern was drawing the concept art that he told me that would have to be changed)

Think stuff like this is usually Kern missing a detail when skimming the couple dozen or more he gets each call, then realizing a bit late when he goes to draw the cameo and peruses them in-depth. Hopefully the cameo still worked out for ya, despite that snag.
Thrair
Demon

Postby Ardan Styyx » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:26 pm

Thrair wrote:Think stuff like this is usually Kern missing a detail when skimming the couple dozen or more he gets each call, then realizing a bit late when he goes to draw the cameo and peruses them in-depth. Hopefully the cameo still worked out for ya, despite that snag.

The pairing for Amal'thya is not the most important thing. Proposing Xbow Woman was just an opening to let Kern decide what he wants to do with that, and also because I found this character interesting.

Amir'lorel being Mel's children father was not accepted. I can't say I am surprised but I had to try. The rest of cameo's details seem to be ok however.

I haven't seen any of them yet on the list. Payement went through ok. I don't know if I should worry yet.
Ardan Styyx
Summoner

Postby Thrair » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:32 am

As long as you've confirmed he's received the payment, I wouldn't worry about the doc. Kern's always been super-busy right after a cameo call. You'll note the week's first page hasn't gone up yet.

He's got a ton of email, brainstorming the next chapter, etc. It's sort of akin to getting slammed with 30+ commissions at at once. He'll probably update the doc later when he has time.

And yah, not surprised he veto'd the paternity. Very much against the spirit of point number one. It's basically asking to be Ariel's step-dad.
Thrair
Demon

Postby Ardan Styyx » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:36 pm

Well, my cameos are not on the definitive list... :S
I mailed Kern for a clarification.
Ardan Styyx
Summoner

Next

Return to Fanfics and Fanart