Have Drowtales inspired stories and art? Share it here!

Story brainstorming idea: Drowtales Australia?

Story brainstorming idea: Drowtales Australia?

Postby Evident-Disaster » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:49 am

Well the brainstorming idea is exactly as it sounds, though with something of a twist, I thought about a joking situation in which the Drow decided to leave their planet rather than stick around and die out due to things going horribly wrong. My idea for this was for the Drow to wind up displacing themselves from their own universe and ending up in the middle of Australia, and I mean Alice Springs middle, like middle of absolutely nowhere but what should have been barren desert.

The idea was that Sharess for all her wisdom and skill, saw a third option to survive and decided to take it, by opening up a giant portal to another world, using the special crystals to power the whole device like a giant transmutation circle. She had this great idea, and well quantum mechanics kind of kick in and she ends up dumping the mountainous region in which her people escaped into a world which had no form of mana whatsoever.

But hey, the desert which existed in the middle of Australia is now gone, and so is Uluru, and a lot of other places and now we've got a giant mountain range sitting in the middle of Australia running from west to east coast, across thousands of kilometres. Along with forests and animals from another planet displaced onto Earth.

Also time setting I figured would be around 2100-BCE, because I wanted to give them time to adjust and evolve outside of living in a giant mountain range. Also give the Drow population to expand and explore and involve itself beyond its own borders, which would be interesting. Also I'm trying to figure out how the Ancient Aborginies in Australia would have probably taken to having giant pointy eared people living next door to them.

In any event, I figured this would be a funny idea to start of a world building story on Earth, just you know with more historical context and hilarity in cramming a race of mana bearing entities onto a planet with no mana, and tons of different civilisations, I figure hell, this would be an interesting concept.
Evident-Disaster
Tainted

Re: Story brainstorming idea: Drowtales Australia?

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:41 am

That sounds like it could be interesting if it was done right, the question is going about doing it right.

Also one suggestion; what about you up the time of arrival for the Drow a few thousand years in the future to around the 1500s, there there are already tons of well developed Human civilizations at this point of time with fairly advanced technology so the Drow don't just completely dominate. Also it would make contact between the Drow and the outside world happen allot sooner since European colonization of Australia happened not so long after that point in time.
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Postby Evident-Disaster » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:21 am

Okay, so I'm going to be rolling with a period of development and then just push on to exploration based outcomes, mainly splitting the story up into important periods of human history, such as the Crusades, Middle Ages, Renissance and then on towards the time of Age of Sail, as to why.

The timing is perfect for the Drow to advance within this period of time without having to worry about serious opposition, and also they can explore. Having Diva creating the mandate for the Relic Hunters, which I shall redub as the Exploration Guild, they'll expand Drow interests into the South East Asian regions. Where I hope they'll embed themselves into the social structure of many religions and races of Asia.

Also introducing Ferals to the world at large and beginning trade in Asia as a whole, because who wouldnt' love having cat girls running around everywhere with other species? Also the time period would also be good since there were still people worshipping the different gods, also it would make sense that influence from Abrahamic religions wouldn't take influence until much later. The Drow Naga would also help influence the development of East Asia, since India still worshipped snake women like Naga.

I'd like to imagine that the influence of the Drow might help consolidate the religious belief of east asia. Also the trade of Asian nations would also be highly reliant upon the Drow for quite a period, until European colonisation and influence.

I should also note that I had actually intended to have a few clans move around, such as the Tei'kalith, though I may refrain from moving them into the story, since I have no idea what kind of impact they'd have or if that it would be even appropriate.

In any event, I'll wait for a response.
Evident-Disaster
Tainted

Postby Evident-Disaster » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:00 am

@ThatGuyThisGuy

There is a lot of things to take into consideration, if I put the events in the 15th Century, the course of events would be much shorter, for a wide variety of reasons I could state, the devleopment of the Drow would be severely hampered, terraforming Australia would likely take years, unless somehow the chunk of their world which they had brought with them magically created a sustainable amount of mana to keep them alright, which I'm really iffy about.

Their level of development would be forced to adopt a near agrarian state until they could self sustain their populations and expand, which could take hundreds of years, and the Drow have a relatively small population to begin with, and no human slaves and a few ferals. Not enough to justify exploration and expansion beyond their small corner of the world, which would take undoubtedly centuries to build up from, since Chel is still little more than a large scale settlement at the point it arrived.

1.2 million people living across a period of 5 centuries wouldn't make huge headway in terms of development, especially given how many obstacles they'd face during this period, let's not forget that they don't have the luxury of massive amounts of technological resources. Most of it was destroyed, and there are things which carried over, but again, time is not on their side, and exploration and expansion takes a lot of time and resources to do.

By the events of Drow expansion it would be the late 17th Century, assuming they didn't run into additional problems like civil wars, famine (which I think can be easily resolved, it's Australia after all), but then there's external threats. Human colonisation of East Asia, and the influence of religious forces from outside might have the Drow essentially isolated from the rest of the world.

Consequently the end result is that the Drow wouldn't impact human development well until the industrial age, assuming that the population is stable and the Drow can self sustain, though I'd imagine by the time they get to places like the US, it'll be probably be rather late. Also I'd have liked to seen if the local Euro-American population would have had issues with a local Drow population having expanded there before them. It'd make for an interesting interaction.

As for Asia, I would have like the Drow to have influence the Japanese or Chinese earlier on, as it would likely have resulted in a much longer lasting Empire, and the Drow would have made a major impact, or they still could, but it wouldn't be as great, since they'd be competing with a lot of others.
Evident-Disaster
Tainted

Postby MercenaryX » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:50 pm

Interesting idea, Like to see where this goes, but please use the appropriate time labels, it is B.C and A.D., not bce or ce. That is the wrong lables and I don't know why people have started to use the wrong one, but then even if they tell me why it is still wrong to me.
MercenaryX
Tik'tikki

Return to Fanfics and Fanart