Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 54 : page 77

Re: Chapter 54 : page 77

Postby punzil504 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:57 pm

Stop! I am NOT your creator, you were NOT summoned to serve me, and I do not expect you to obey my commands or crush my enemies!
punzil504
Summoner

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Finn MacCool » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:09 pm

Moric wrote:One good wave would do it....

I like that idea. :D
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby SzordrinZaphresz » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:38 am

Demons don't just eat mana. They eat other demons.

[quote=Junglefowl]No they don't, except for demon gods, and those are all but impossible to summon. (Basically, regular demons are herbivores and normal mana are the plants)

It is the whole reason tainting works - you register as a demon so regular demons don't eat you. Plus, demons aren't well controlled, so if they did eat each other demon summoning would be useless.[/quote]

That is incorrect. It is an integral part of Drowtales lore that demons become demon gods by eating other demons and growing stronger, and that the only way to actually kill a demon is to feed it to another demon. In fact, Laelle ate Khaless, have you forgotten?

Tainting works as a "vaccine" by keeping other demons from feeding on a drow's mana aura, true, but outside a fey's body, demons feed on each other.
SzordrinZaphresz
Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Junglefowl26 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:30 am

SzordrinZaphresz wrote:
Demons don't just eat mana. They eat other demons.

[quote=Junglefowl]No they don't, except for demon gods, and those are all but impossible to summon. (Basically, regular demons are herbivores and normal mana are the plants)

It is the whole reason tainting works - you register as a demon so regular demons don't eat you. Plus, demons aren't well controlled, so if they did eat each other demon summoning would be useless.

That is incorrect. It is an integral part of Drowtales lore that demons become demon gods by eating other demons and growing stronger, and that the only way to actually kill a demon is to feed it to another demon.[/quote]
Since when has that ever been a thing? I don't remember anything to that effect - and I distinctly remember it being said that demons quickly die on their own without a living host, so they starve to death at least.

SzordrinZaphresz wrote: In fact, Laelle ate Khaless, have you forgotten?

And that wasn't normal. Laelle is portrayed as a rather singular being, some side effect of her failed exorcism possibly combined with whatever high sorcery she may have had. Even Khaless seemed surprised and freaked out by the whole thing.

SzordrinZaphresz wrote:Tainting works as a "vaccine" by keeping other demons from feeding on a drow's mana aura, true, but outside a fey's body, demons feed on each other.

Again, if that were true demon summoning wouldn't be all that useful because they would just eat each other.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Tsakta » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:58 pm

punzil504 wrote:Stop! I am NOT your creator, you were NOT summoned to serve me, and I do not expect you to obey my commands or crush my enemies!

No Summoner has ever spoken to a demon like that! It's reevaluating everything it knows about life!
Tsakta
Tainted

Location: Elliptical orbit around a point eight inches to the left of the future
Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby almondbiscuit » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:54 am

punzil504 wrote:Stop! I am NOT your creator, you were NOT summoned to serve me, and I do not expect you to obey my commands or crush my enemies!

::slow clap:: A+ for the Girl Genius reference.
almondbiscuit
Tainted

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Moric » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:49 pm

The suspense is killing me...
Moric
Demon

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Seraphiel » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:34 am

"Come Forth! To destroy my enemies!"

...We're here.

Seraphiel
Demon

Postby almondbiscuit » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:07 am

Nothing good has ever come of "Good enough." This is gonna be fun.
almondbiscuit
Tainted

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby The14th » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:50 am

Gah, the wait is killing me!
The14th
Summoner

Postby 'Lement » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:03 am

@almondbiscuit: I mean, it could be like my cakes; measuring things "good enough" without aiming for exact values. Or for compromises between two semi-orthogonal options. Or using duct tape to repair and cover things.

Here, though, I expect it to be like cheap plastic gizmo. It'll eventually break.
'Lement
Vel'akar

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Previous

Return to Moonless Age