Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 54 : page 77

Re: Chapter 54 : page 77

Postby Junglefowl26 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:34 pm

You know, it is interesting that demonic summoning is pretty much the only kind of magic in the setting that is ritualistic rather than just direct energy manipulation. Especially since it didn't used to be...I suppose it was just difficult for the heroes to deal with if gates could only be disrupted by other nether summoners.

I don't know why, but Nehle's face in the last panel just really makes me laugh. XD

Anyway, music for this page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3IsxdAD1ng

Demons don't just eat mana. They eat other demons.

No they don't, except for demon gods, and those are all but impossible to summon. (Basically, regular demons are herbivores and normal mana are the plants)

It is the whole reason tainting works - you register as a demon so regular demons don't eat you. Plus, demons aren't well controlled, so if they did eat each other demon summoning would be useless.

A carefully controlled nether torrent will not only devour Nehe's gate, but everyone around it, shut down the floaters, and leave Felde as much of a ruin as Snad made Chel.

Even if demons did work that way, and even if Ariel was willing to murder tens of thousands of innocent people for the crime of having been conquered and enslaved by Snad before Snad attempted to do the same to Ariel's group, Ariel's group is rather lacking in nether summoners. The closest thing they have is Chiri, and her specialty is putting demons back in gates, not directing them on the battlefield.

Plus, I am not even convinced that even the best demon summoners can control demons once they come out of the gate. Demon summoning is less aiming a cannon and more setting fire to a dry field - it is not about control but massive destruction.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Seraphiel » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:06 pm

Wonder who will get the last laugh?
Seraphiel
Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby sunhawk » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:25 pm

Yep, Willey E COYOTE.
sunhawk
Summoner

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby sunhawk » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:33 pm

Junglefowl26 wrote:You know, it is interesting that demonic summoning is pretty much the only kind of magic in the setting that is ritualistic rather than just direct energy manipulation. Especially since it didn't used to be...I suppose it was just difficult for the heroes to deal with if gates could only be disrupted by other nether summoners.

I don't know why, but Nehle's face in the last panel just really makes me laugh. XD

Anyway, music for this page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3IsxdAD1ng

Demons don't just eat mana. They eat other demons.

No they don't, except for demon gods, and those are all but impossible to summon. (Basically, regular demons are herbivores and normal mana are the plants)

It is the whole reason tainting works - you register as a demon so regular demons don't eat you. Plus, demons aren't well controlled, so if they did eat each other demon summoning would be useless.

A carefully controlled nether torrent will not only devour Nehe's gate, but everyone around it, shut down the floaters, and leave Felde as much of a ruin as Snad made Chel.

Even if demons did work that way, and even if Ariel was willing to murder tens of thousands of innocent people for the crime of having been conquered and enslaved by Snad before Snad attempted to do the same to Ariel's group, Ariel's group is rather lacking in nether summoners. The closest thing they have is Chiri, and her specialty is putting demons back in gates, not directing them on the battlefield.

Plus, I am not even convinced that even the best demon summoners can control demons once they come out of the gate. Demon summoning is less aiming a cannon and more setting fire to a dry field - it is not about control but massive destruction.

They picked up at least one other experienced kyrol sealer. Though he is very much opposed to doing anything but flushing demons back to where they came from.
sunhawk
Summoner

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Mizu » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:40 pm

Well, she is certainly having fun at least. Nobody can take that away from her even if this plan ends really badly for them.
Mizu
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby Silverrain » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:29 pm

Well, that's a nice Disney Villain moment. Now let's see what the unintended consequences will be...
Silverrain
Summoner

Postby Moric » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:33 pm

With in-comic noted irony, the clan that was second only to the Vloz in practicioners of the nether arts were the Kyorls. I would not be the least bit surprised if this proficiency becomes a very terrifying asset to the Wolfpack.

Ritual magic encompasses all summoning techniques, nether being the only one with practical use at this time (with exceptions). Ritual magic is also noted in Diva's story.

Nether gates, energy, and demons have all been shown to be controlled, even with finesse, at numerous times. Whether a summoner really cares about collateral damage at a given time is a different matter. The breadth and depth of this knowledge and control also seems to vary tremendously.

Something tells me that we may get a scene with:
Nurse: "Unauthorized G Class nether gate detected. Initiating defensive countermeasure protocol in 3... 2... 1..."
Moric
Summoner

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Myr'nolu » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:54 am

I really hate how it seems like the preferred Plan B of Snad's forces is "summon demons, and hope for the best".
Then again, if all you have is a hammer...
Myr'nolu
Nether Seed

Postby Moric » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:49 am

Myr'nolu wrote:I really hate how it seems like the preferred Plan B of Snad's forces is "summon demons, and hope for the best".
Then again, if all you have is a hammer...

More like, "Summon demons, because demons were OP thirty years ago." Of course, that's last week for a four hundred year old or so Val.
Moric
Summoner

Postby 'Lement » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:55 am

Well now, look at that.

Demon gates are usually carved into stone - this is the first time we see someone using paint. I don't need to count the obvious downsides, but lets see upsides:

- no need for mana for earth foci or physical labour to carve a path
- even feral kittens can place these gates, outside of touching 1 stone no need for mana use or sharp tools.
- you can do demon gate stamps, embroidiry and the like in otherwise two-dimensional surfaces.
- maybe you can even fold them up or create 3d structures? Using that you could telegrab a demon that is otherwise unwilling to enter the gate. Imagine painting demon gate on the inside of airship balloon.

Ooh! Demon gate high fives! You hi5 someone, and now you both have demon gates to punch people with in your fists.

Neh'le's face in last panel reminds me of Kiel's mask. Doesn't really inspire confidence in control of the demons - after all, there's so many more untainted people closer, such as Feldian guards or Adira few footsteps from Neh'le. Well, I expect she'll do better than Ariel(?).

And it is ironic that the more slapdash, half-assed look is harder for DT team to draw. The half-length spike at ten doesn't even touch anything.
'Lement
Vel'akar

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:20 am

Ya know, Nehle in the last panel...is only disturbing because of what she's doing while striking that pose and facial expression, summoning demons (from an iffy summoning circle at that). But don't get me wrong, she's still adorable...if she was giving me that look at say an airport terminal or train station or pierside at a harbor, or at a party or reunion, or from the other side of the quads at a college campus. Just not during a nether summoning during combat ;)

btw Kel's holding a water and earth foci, right? can these be used to disrupt that summoning circle? o_O
Basileus_Ioannis
Vel'akar

Location: in Snad's tower in Felde, checking to make sure I have spare underwear
Clan: Sarghress

Postby 'Lement » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:32 am

Provided he can reach that far still and knows it exists and that demons don't eat the mana in the disruption.
'Lement
Vel'akar

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby PSadlon » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:12 am

This won't be good. And yeah as many have noted Ariel's team has a similar plan though let's face it a controlled flood using a large, tested, stable gate vs. Nehle's opening a makeshift, untested, "good enough" gate are notably different.
PSadlon
Summoner

Postby Moric » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:15 am

One good wave would do it....
Moric
Summoner

Postby Whizzard » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:29 am

Obsidian Agent wrote:Judging by Nehle's pose here..... I'm going to have to say that she's become the Drow version of Wammu:

Don't ever dishonor Wammu by comparing him with an insane bitch! Clearly Shodun is Wammu, honorable warriors both and wind related, somewhat as much as wall shattering sound is connected to wall shattering wind.

And Snadhya is Kars, obviously.
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

PreviousNext

Return to Moonless Age