Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 54 : page 59

Re: Chapter 54 : page 59

Postby Whizzard » Thu May 03, 2018 7:21 am

Basileus_Ioannis wrote: So you figure Shodun and company deliberately used their sonic attack to kill the daws, to use them as ammunition to further damage Quill's Raiders? That's...ingenious, not to mention eeebil *doh*

It was pretty clear on the last panel that they expected the dubstep wub blast to kill them. This was not planned but improvised. And still not sure it's blood arts because never seen blood arts being about fire. Not to mention that there was no dawmere corpse right at the feet of Shodun's band.
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Ardan Styyx » Thu May 03, 2018 12:54 pm

So, they DID charge head on on a narrow bridge to a gate defended by super sound system badass. *eek*

Ok, that is definitely a F..D UP tactic, but it seems that apart from the Dawmeres, the casualties are low. By the way, the Raiders lost another of there advantage : their mobility. *hmmm*

Despite the interesting arguments with regard to Duergard powder and water, my bet would go to a mined bridge. It's not that odd, considering it's an excellent mean of defense. Plus, considering the length of it, one would have a good chance of getting rid of a large quantity of enemies when detonating the bridge. Hence, Shodun smile.

Now, maybe the Raiders with earth affinity will be able to counter this and prevent the whole party to sink in the water, but the explosions are still going to do some damages.

And about alternate tactics...
Well, what about seizing the outer wall and taking control of the artillery? That would add some firepower to the team (now that nobody gives a shit to the consequences of firing randomly on the city), allow the airship to fly away if necessary and keep an open option to withdraw if things turn sour. Plus it would divide the defense efforts, between retaking the wall (under balistas and mana canon fire) and defending Snad's tower. I admit it means staying static for a while, but anyway, Raider's mobility advantage is reduced by the urban ground (and the other side has flying pods). And if the pressure is to high, they still have an escape door behind, once they sabotage the enemy artillery.

Anyway, that did not happen...
Let's hope the Raiders have a lot of unexpected resources, 'cause situation doesn't look so well. :S
Ardan Styyx
Summoner

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby SzordrinZaphresz » Thu May 03, 2018 2:05 pm

Charging the artillery position is even more impossible than charging this bridge. I don't think Dawmere can climb ladders, or fly.

And the raiders would be taking artillery blasts to the face the whole time.

This would be a good opportunity to pepper Shodun with crossbow bolts... Shame Crossbow lady was done in by Valadrielle long ago.
SzordrinZaphresz
Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Kardwill » Thu May 03, 2018 2:14 pm

Ardan Styyx wrote:Ok, that is definitely a F..D UP tactic, but it seems that apart from the Dawmeres, the casualties are low.

That may explain why they used Dawnmeres, though : They knew their mounts would probably get minced, and though battlehorses are expensive, they are an easier sacrifice than the soldiers' own battlewolves.
Kardwill
Summoner

Postby Ardan Styyx » Thu May 03, 2018 3:08 pm

SzordrinZaphresz wrote:Charging the artillery position is even more impossible than charging this bridge. I don't think Dawmere can climb ladders, or fly.

And the raiders would be taking artillery blasts to the face the whole time.

This would be a good opportunity to pepper Shodun with crossbow bolts... Shame Crossbow lady was done in by Valadrielle long ago.

The gate being open, they can easily access to the wall from the interior and the different access and ramps that must exist on the other side (or else, how did the defense managed to get heavy artillery up there?).

The canons and ballista would likely be useless at such a short range, plus they are trying to turn them around. And although the garrison might be significant, it is spread along the wall, around the different batteries, not concentrated on a very small spot at the end of a very long bridge. The Raiders would have more space to manoeuver and to overcome the defending units.
Once it's done, another option would be to leave a small party to serve some guns and use the artillery support to, say, blast the merry band of jolly-ol'-fellows guarding Snad's tower into oblivion, leaving the gate open for the main force to charge in.

Charging like that reminds me of the brilliant tactic of the French and British troops during the beginning of WW1, going with infantry and cavalry on open fields against artillery and automatic weapons. *upset*
Fortunately for Quill and the Raiders, Feldians have not invented machine guns. Yet.
Ardan Styyx
Summoner

Postby Sionyx » Thu May 03, 2018 4:13 pm

...I always feel so bad for the war mounts in situations like this, no matter the side. The riders know what they're charging into, the mounts don't. May you find wild fields to run free in, dawmares.

And, yeah, this charge seems like a weird tactic all around. Agreed with the previous commentators questioning just what the Raiders are up to and thinking maybe there's a trump card hiding somewhere we don't know about.
Sionyx
Vel'akar

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Moric » Thu May 03, 2018 4:44 pm

I may be looking for things too much, but this is how I read it:

1. Dying dawmere to Quill's left in this view.

2. From a different view, that same dawmere is not seen. Either this was an artistic mistake or the dawmere carcass is below the viewing frame. If so, the body is between Quill and the Nids.

6. As the torn cape is still visible, Quill is 1, maybe 2 steps into her charge. There is a dark mass on the ground at the blast site, possibly the corpse.

Now, as for mines, it would take time to plant enough to take out a whole column of troops. Water, ice, and stone affinities would all manage to quickly overcome a damaged bridge section, so that is likely not the intent. My assertion against a powder charge is that water can ruin it very quickly. Lastly, these bridges are meant for traffic, and I just don't see Snadhya being okay with explosive charges being placed beneath anywhere that her carriage would be rolling over.

As for why they didn't attack the artillery positions on the walls, I have a feeling that Sang isn't very far behind...
Moric
Demon

Postby Whizzard » Thu May 03, 2018 5:54 pm

Moric wrote:I may be looking for things too much, but this is how I read it:

1. Dying dawmere to Quill's left in this view.

2. From a different view, that same dawmere is not seen. Either this was an artistic mistake or the dawmere carcass is below the viewing frame. If so, the body is between Quill and the Nids.

You have a good eyesight, except not, because dying dawmere is bottom left of the second panel. The viewpoint rotated 90 degrees to the left from panel 1.
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby 'Lement » Fri May 04, 2018 3:54 am

Spooky.

Thouhg, iirc Quill's armor was ceremonical?

And Shodun has ripped apart combatants through armor before....

Still, while not quite what I expected, it's pretty damn badass.

On the right side of final panel, I see one of the Nids is raising their hand with glow around it. I guess that's the cause of fire.

I recall floaters were not really used due being able to be dispelled. Wonder if we'll finally see that happen?
'Lement
Vel'akar

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby sunhawk » Fri May 04, 2018 5:38 am

Where is the Kyo'nne vs Shodun song battle?

https://youtu.be/J79O5mEjcZ0
sunhawk
Summoner

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Previous

Return to Moonless Age