Have Drowtales inspired stories and art? Share it here!

Drowtales Fanfic Ideas and Discussion Thread

Drowtales Fanfic Ideas and Discussion Thread

Postby razer666L » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:57 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to "Drowtales Fanfic Ideas and Discussion" thread. This is a place where you can post your Drowtales fanfic ideas and everyone can join in and discuss about them. :)

Your fanfic ideas can be either original (Moonless Age or Space Age) or crossover with other franchises. :D

Be civil in the discussion, please and no flaming, no trading insults, don't be rude and don't be condescending. Oh, and no "one-liner idea" posts. Please post your ideas at least with more than two sentences to provide context to all of us. Thank you. ;)

To start off with this thread is my Drowtales: Space Age + Mass Effect: Andromeda crossover idea.

Similar to the original Space Age story, the drow space stations and observation posts were under attack by kett forces, thus causing the drow to send a recon vessel to investigate. That's when the drow found a freighter drifting over the gas giant's asteroid ring. They attempt to communicate with the vessel several times but no responses are given, forcing the drow to board the ship to investigate.

The drow marines find the crew incapacitated and before they can figure out what has happened, the drow marines are ambushed by kett troops. As the marines are getting overwhelmed, a kett cruiser jumps out of FTL and appear next to the drow recon vessel before opening fire on it. The recon vessel suffers heavy damage and becomes crippled in space, while the drow marines are captured by the kett.

The recon crew manage to send a distress signal to their military headquarters before the ship is boarded and the crew are captured as well.

Several days later, as the drow prisoners just arrived onboard the Archon's flagship for exaltation, that's when Ryder and Co. sneak aboard the kett flagship, where they stumble over the drow prisoners, manage to free them and team up.
razer666L
Nether Seed

Re: Drowtales Fanfic Ideas and Discussion Thread

Postby razer666L » Mon May 21, 2018 4:02 am

*Looks around this thread*

Anyone? :V
razer666L
Nether Seed

Postby razer666L » Mon May 21, 2018 3:55 pm

Oh dear. That's... that's very unfortunate indeed. :L :(
razer666L
Nether Seed

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Mon May 28, 2018 7:40 am

The basic idea sounds okay but getting everything to work out well is going to take some effort and overall I don't think many people will like it mainly because Andromeda has a bit of a marred reputation and Space Age is rather niche even in comparison to Moonless Age.

Obsidian Agent wrote:Well... hate to break it to you, but DT's community just isn't what it once was. The comic ends this year, and some people (myself included) have just grown increasingly disillusioned with DT's execution and world-building.

I do have to admit the site is not what it used to be, I remember when new threads popped up weakly and you could always expect replies of some sort no matter the topic.

Obsidian Agent wrote:Don't get me wrong - the basic idea of DT (make the Drow sympathetic without making them goody two-shoes) is a good one. It's just that sometimes the writing doesn't quite convey that idea, and some major elements of the setting don't make any sense unless you add in some very Lovecraftian ideas - and some just don't make any sense period. The fact that all the times I asked Kern and Kite on the livestreams before I got banned from them only ever lead to half-assed answers (at best - and usually being ignored/dismissed) certainly didn't help.

Could you please elaborate on your specific issues with the world building please?
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Tue May 29, 2018 7:18 pm

Obsidian Agent wrote:Well, the nine moons for starters. That world should be a lot more volcanic, as well as having some crazy ocean AND land tides, what with the gravitational influence of nine moons instead of one being at work. Then, we'd also have to add in the fact that the moons would be tugging on each other, and should probably have slammed into each other billions of years ago. It's one thing for a gas giant to have large numbers of moons large enough to be spherical - their gravity utterly dominates everything in the area. It's another thing for a terrestrial planet to have a large number of large moons. I mean, sure, Pluto has five moons, but only one (Charon) is large enough to be spherical. The other four (Nix, Styx, Kerberos, and Hydra) are all small, potato-shaped lumps of rock and ice.

Yeah I've thought about how the Moon thing doesn't really make much sense for quite awhile, though I never factored in the aspect of volcanic activity before.

Obsidian Agent wrote:Second, we've never got an explanation as to what caused mana-bearing life to arise. Not to mention that the advantages mana-bearing life has over non-mana-bearing life should have caused the former to completely wipe out the latter hundreds of millions of years ago, just due to out-competing it. Something had to have caused the two to diverge on different evolutionary paths (especially since no gods actually seem to be active in the setting), but we never get ANY explanation, not even a "behind the scenes" explanation. Even the half-assed explanation Kite gave me regarding the moons ("It's magic") was still more of an explanation then what we've got for the rise of mana-bearing life. This led to me coming up with some very... Lovecraftian.... explanations. (The fact that one night I got slightly drunk and started reading both a few Cthulhu Mythos stories AND some chapters of Berserk also played a roll).

I have thought about that, the question of whether or not Fae life emerged from the same primordial ooze as Goblin life and if not why is there still Goblin life today? And if they did come from the same source when did some creatures become Fae, did it happen millions of years ago or did this change occur only a mere few thousand years ago and why did some creatures from a fairly wide range of species become Fae(Since their seem to be Mammalian, Reptilian, and maybe even Insect Fae.) while other creature remained non-Fae? Also what steps did Fae life take before it reached its modern form, like when did mana manipulation arise was it something that was always possible from the start or did it emerge much later?

Oh and what are your explanations for how Fae life emerged?

Obsidian Agent wrote:The third point (related to part two), is that DT seems to be exactly what the comic book writer Kieron Gillen was on about when he was criticizing elves in general as being "what if the Nazis were right about there being a master race?". He'd probably blow a gasket over DT. I mean, even positive reviews of DT have accused Kern of having a massive hard-on for the Drow.

I do note that he does have the Drow basically win at almost everything almost always. The Drow are basically shown to be better then other Fae life forms and Elves(I am considering the Dark Elves and the Drow to basically be same the same thing here.) at almost everything, and they basically blow away Goblins 90% of the time(And that is a generous low end estimate.) other Elves occasionally win or are better at something, but Goblins almost always come up short. The Dwarves have a few tricks over the Drow(Or well used to since the Drow seem to have Blackpowder weaponry in abundance now.) but they still basically lost almost everything and have been pushed back to a few hidden holes or to the bottoms of society, and the only time we saw them do anything on screen they got rekted though it can be excused somewhat by the fact they where going up against a group of some of drowkinds most elite warriors they still got rekted.

Most other Goblins do worse then the Dwarves, Orcs are pretty much a non factor when it comes to basically everything and most Humans basically exist as resource pinatas for the Drow be it willingly(In the form of trade.) or unwillingly(Targets of raids and as slaves.). Hermiones are pretty much the only kind of Goblin that is presenting anything close to a challenge to the Drow, and that is mainly because the Hermiones are themselves basically just better then most other Goblins, they compared to Halmes are bigger, brawnier, ballsier, and a bit smarter.

To explain they are basically the only form of Goblin besides the Noz that is around as big and strong as a Drow so most Drow can't just plow through them in melee combat and they actually stand up to the Drow, most Halme warriors just seem to flee at the sight of the Drow and they quickly break and flee if they don't do so right away, I know in that in a recent chapter the Hermionnes where ultimately defeated because their leader was killed in a sudden and unexpected attack and this sent the them into a disorganized panic which resulted in a rout but that is somewhat more excusable. Lastly the Hermionnes are a bit smarter, it isn't that they just have somewhat more advanced technology then Halmes it is also that whenever the Drow use some Mana Art or break out some Mana Tech Halmes are just completely dumbfounded and become deer in headlights while Hermionnes immediately do the best they can do to try and work around whatever the Drow just threw at them.

But to top it all off even with this the Herms still lose every time we see them on screen now I will admit that in all of the circumstance we saw them on screen if they won then the story would basically be over as them winning would logically have resulted in the deaths of many main characters that the story is basically based around, and they did come fairly close to winning the two times we saw them(The first instance was actually just a hairs width away from victory for Hermionnes as the elder probably would have killed Faen and then Ariel and Chiri and would have made off with several men left standing if help hadn't arrived, because from what we saw Faen was only barely holding up against the Herm's enraged blows and if Ariel and Chiri weren't particularly fazed by that Empathic blast and only needed some prodding to wake up then the knocked out Herms should have been able to shake it off fairly quickly.).
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Return to Fanfics and Fanart