Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 54 : page 6

Re: Chapter 54 : page 6

Postby Junglefowl26 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:56 pm

That is one kind of stealth technology I suppose. Reminds me of hitchhikers of the galaxy and the "Somebody Else's Problem" field.

Good thing they did it too, cause those two look like protagonists and could be trouble. :P

Course, since I doubt these three are going to stick around doing this all day, I do wonder what the Machtikanians long term objective is here.

Faen is spoiling the kids a bit here. (Hmm..is it a good idea to bring the kids? Things went smoothly, but fighting could have gotten worse. Course, probably not safe to leave them at the colony without the ship and its crew for protection. Still not sure if they put everyone on the ship or not)

With all the planning and preparation that went into this, I think Ariel really wasn't expecting for negotiations to work.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Moric » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:22 am

1. I think that the negotiations were offered in earnest, though with foreknowledge of a zero chance of success. Kyo'nne might even know of the Snadhya'rune altar.

2. That said, the negotiations do get all the leaders in one room. Sound tactics there.

3. Empath invisibility reminds me of Vampire the Masquerade discipline of Obfuscation. You aren't invisible, just unnoticeable.
Moric
Demon

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby RDX » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:45 am

Ash's expression:

"get a grip..

damn noob"..
RDX
Tik'tikki

Postby waffleferret » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:18 pm

Wow those three empaths are that strong.
waffleferret
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby PSadlon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:36 pm

Dalvyserran wrote:Of course, it looks like Bae'rali is being forced to help--there is no way she would change direction that damn fast.

I don't think it only that, still a good idea. Bae realized how outclassed she honestly is by Ash & Faen. Faen has power that rivals Ash but lack Ash's but lacks Ash's control and I'm sure that put her issues with Ash into perspective. Faen basically curb stomped her in a psychic battle and had the decency not to be an ass about it. This tells her a couple things: first she had no chance of defeating Ash and second, despite how shitty a person Ash may be herself not every on her side is as bad, and third, Ash was merely an excuse for her own choices. She likely still hates Ash and loathes to work with her hence the extra need for encouragement but I suspect she somewhat respects Faen now in a way she couldn't Ash at least. That said she also knows what Snad might do to her for having failed and want's none of that, else she'd have chosen a relatively painless death.
PSadlon
Summoner

Postby Moric » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:28 am

PSadlon wrote:
Dalvyserran wrote:Of course, it looks like Bae'rali is being forced to help--there is no way she would change direction that damn fast.

I don't think it only that, still a good idea. Bae realized how outclassed she honestly is by Ash & Faen. Faen has power that rivals Ash but lack Ash's but lacks Ash's control and I'm sure that put her issues with Ash into perspective. Faen basically curb stomped her in a psychic battle and had the decency not to be an ass about it. This tells her a couple things: first she had no chance of defeating Ash and second, despite how shitty a person Ash may be herself not every on her side is as bad, and third, Ash was merely an excuse for her own choices. She likely still hates Ash and loathes to work with her hence the extra need for encouragement but I suspect she somewhat respects Faen now in a way she couldn't Ash at least. That said she also knows what Snad might do to her for having failed and want's none of that, else she'd have chosen a relatively painless death.

Until we know more about Bae, for all we know, she never actually met Ash'waren. Theories suggest anywhere from her being one of Ash's children to a born and bred Feldian. If the former, she's been put in her place by Faen. If the latter, perhaps she's still digesting the new reality that has been shown to her by Faen's post-ass-whoopin-kindness. Either way, Sarnel's nobody's fool. One empath can cause mayhem, even when there's two others trying to smooth things over.
Moric
Demon

Postby Saffron Walden » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:15 am

I haven't read this in a long time.

Can someone remind me what, other than the way she's obtained power, Snadhya's actually doing in her area of control that makes her evil? Is it something with auras and demons? Is it just her enforcement of the aristocracy against the sarghress' rather nebulous meritocracy? Is Ariel just fighting her out of patriotism?
Saffron Walden
Nether Spawn

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby vlashrod » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:32 am

It's funny: almost no one here care anymore about getting kids on airship during war mission XD

It's ok because octarya and pelan are on the "good side" ? No because it's exactly the same situation than chapter 52. Only reverse the roles.
vlashrod
Demon

Clan: Sharen

Postby Had'thea » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:59 am

Saffron Walden wrote:I haven't read this in a long time.

Can someone remind me what, other than the way she's obtained power, Snadhya's actually doing in her area of control that makes her evil? Is it something with auras and demons? Is it just her enforcement of the aristocracy against the sarghress' rather nebulous meritocracy? Is Ariel just fighting her out of patriotism?

You mean apart from killing her own mother and daughter, plus obliterating two of her sisters' houses (and contributing to the downfall of the remaining two)? Or razing the food production on the surface of multiple colonies, causing major starvation and destabilization in two major nation states (Chel and Nuqrah)? Or the hostile takeover of her "own" home city of Felde, and its subsequent police state flavour?

Probably tainting/merging. Snad's control of Orthorbbae and mandatory tainting ceremonies using twisted dimensions has led to the obliteration of many drow - there is no true cure for it. Every tainted drow is due to die horribly in 25-50 years by morphing into a monster of the nether, unless Snad shows them (or somehow figure out on their own) how to merge with their seed. Even merging isn't really a cure, as the new aura is some combo of the two entities. That, and the subsequent use of nether in warfare has created even more victims. Snadyha is creating an ocean of corpses in her bid to come across as drow/mergedkind's unopposed "saviour", and she treats even her allies as little more than possessions. I truly believe she would happily rule over an empty Chel as long as she got to see herself as its uncontested ruler.
Had'thea
Tainted

Postby Smokehammer » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:28 am

Most of that qualifies as "How she obtained power" though Had.

About Felde being something like a police state - well we dont know if thats true. Something is done to the poor so that it looks more prosperous than most underworld places, but we have yet to figure out what exactly that is. She could be simply deporting them, or something more insidious.

My biggest "she's evil" plot point would be she attacked a peaceful colony (Ariel's) for no other reason than "if you arent with us youre against us". So the Nids basically declared war on the Wolf Pack while the WP couldve cared less about opposing or supporting them. Thats not so much "evil" as aggressive, and we dont know if it was Snadhya or the Chelian Sarghress behind it either. Basically so far, Snadhya hasnt done anything evil to her "subjects" that we can see but then she's not Empress either. In fact we have to be unsure at this point if anyone beyond Viri, Nishi & Zala even know if she's alive.
Smokehammer
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby PSadlon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:27 am

Had'thea wrote:

You mean apart from killing her own mother and daughter, plus obliterating two of her sisters' houses (and contributing to the downfall of the remaining two)? Or razing the food production on the surface of multiple colonies, causing major starvation and destabilization in two major nation states (Chel and Nuqrah)? Or the hostile takeover of her "own" home city of Felde, and its subsequent police state flavour?

Probably tainting/merging. Snad's control of Orthorbbae and mandatory tainting ceremonies using twisted dimensions has led to the obliteration of many drow - there is no true cure for it. Every tainted drow is due to die horribly in 25-50 years by morphing into a monster of the nether, unless Snad shows them (or somehow figure out on their own) how to merge with their seed. Even merging isn't really a cure, as the new aura is some combo of the two entities. That, and the subsequent use of nether in warfare has created even more victims. Snadyha is creating an ocean of corpses in her bid to come across as drow/mergedkind's unopposed "saviour", and she treats even her allies as little more than possessions. I truly believe she would happily rule over an empty Chel as long as she got to see herself as its uncontested ruler.

Don't forget the whole infect others with the highly virulent spores of a parasitic flower that eats its victims brains.
PSadlon
Summoner

Postby Moric » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:09 pm

vlashrod wrote:It's funny: almost no one here care anymore about getting kids on airship during war mission XD

It's ok because octarya and pelan are on the "good side" ? No because it's exactly the same situation than chapter 52. Only reverse the roles.

I suppose that, besides the protagonist can do no wrong effect, there really is no safe place for the kids. Machike is a short march from Chel, and a Sarghress army is due to march on them at any moment.

I wouldn't really know as I didn't care too much about it in Chapter 52.
Moric
Demon

Postby Ardan Styyx » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:43 pm

If there was only ONE reason : she literally created the Nidraa'chal sect, which, in a nutshell, is the quickest path to the doom of the entire Drow race by infestation of Nether aliens. Basically, exactly the opposite of what Sharess sacrificed herself for.

Just as a short reminder of the horror implied by the entire Nidraa'chal principle, you can check here :
http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=6027

Now, I may sound very "Kyorl", but despite time passing, the very monstrosity which is the Seeding - with the notable exception of Kiel and Shasana - remains, and should be a reason enough to call for a crusade to oblitarate Nids down to the root.
The root being Snad herself.
Ardan Styyx
Summoner

Postby Dalvyserran » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:40 pm

vlashrod wrote:It's funny: almost no one here care anymore about getting kids on airship during war mission XD

It is the same situation, but it gets overlooked because the kids belong to the heroes. ^^;

PSadlon wrote:

Having a sword at your back is not being forced to help the people you wanted dead only a few days ago?
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Saffron Walden » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:25 pm

I'm not certain a police state is worse than perpetual warfare, really. Is she forcing everyone to do the taint thing?
Saffron Walden
Nether Spawn

Clan: Jaal'darya

PreviousNext

Return to Moonless Age