Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki

Sul Markings

Sul Markings

Postby Dalvyserran » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:47 pm

I don't know if this has been discussed anywhere, but I've always found it fascinating that the Sullisin'rune have a tradition of getting tattoos. Some even have patterns and jewels that are similar to the bindi in Hindu/Buddhist culture. What is the meaning behind this? Is it a style to copy Ashie and the old realm of the Sul ancestors or is it some way to mark somebody as part of an important bloodline?

Let's look at the Suls so far:

Ash'waren & Feral'ssin both have identical patterns covering 2/3d of the face
Sala'dara has one crescent under her eye
Faen has none
Yafein has none
Soleam'ji has whisker-like markings
The Sul next to Min'issya has markings covering the eye, nose and part of the cheek
The three Suls attacking Chrys have identical patters similar to Ash'waren's and Feral'ssin's

And there are the Sul cameos, of all except Ba'dal and the Sul Gate guard have markings following the Sul trend (Not sure about the others but in my case, Min'issya was given patterns along her jaw by kern)
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: Sul Markings

Postby Junglefowl26 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:10 pm

It is fascinating.

I think the tattoo tradition goes back to the old world, since many of these characters are from the traditionalist faction, and Mim is noted to be a very traditional city and has a similar tradition of warrior tatoos.

Beyond that, it is hard to tell what the tatoos mean, though they might indicated political faction, since characters with similar tatoos have similar beliefs. That would certainly be annoying if a person ever changed their political beliefs. :P

Or it might be a caste thing.

As for Yafein and Faen not having them, it might be a coming of age thing.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Dalvyserran » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:01 pm

I like the idea of the tattoos marking them as being part of a coming of age thing. Would make sense for Yafein and Faen since they're still kids while all of the marked Suls are adults.

I also wanna believe that they mark you not only as a Sul, but what kind of Sul you are--sort of like chin tattoos for the Maori compared to the other kinds of Polynesian symbols of ancestry.

Though so far as we've seen, Ashie's tattoos are the dominant style
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Postby MEK1724 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:12 pm

Maybe it's to hide the scars from their empathic overload ?
Dalvyserran wrote:Though so far as we've seen, Ashie's tattoos are the dominant style

Presumably most of the dome could be her descendants though , so it could represent ancestry though . *hmmm*
MEK1724
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Dalvyserran » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:23 pm

I just noticed that Laj'tavi wasn't given any, so it might've been intentional to show that she's still a kid (or Suntiger or kern forgot to add them *lol* ). The only cameo that I know for sure has Sul tattoos is Min'issya.

Another thing could be said for Yafein is that since he is Faen's cousin, maybe his father is one of Ashie's brothers and therefore isn't good enough to get markings... whereas the males with markings have Sul mothers
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Postby AthenAltena » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:16 pm

I assumed it was a coming of age thing, since Ash only had one in the Thalamani side story and clearly got the other at some point afterwards. It might be family related, though Salan'dara's doesn't look like anyone else's, so it might be based on personal preference.

Faen and Yafein might lack them because they haven't really been in the dome for a long time, Yafein's been in Nuqrah and Faen's been with the Sarghress, so that might mark them as being outsiders in some ways.
AthenAltena
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Doom Chinchilla » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:46 pm

I don't think the tattoos are part of an initation ritual or even compulsory; they are just aesthetic, a way to create and enhance your image, just as hair and clothes. I think that children lack them because they are supposed to be something very personal that you choose by yourself, not something imposed on you by your parents or anybody else.

I also think that they could be some kind of temporary tattoos made with sorcery, not regular, permanent tattoos made with ink.
Doom Chinchilla
Dragon of the Nether

Location: Aboard the Bird-Of-The-River, sailing the Yann to Bethmoora

Postby AthenAltena » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:37 pm

Doom Chinchilla wrote:I also think that they could be some kind of temporary tattoos made with sorcery, not regular, permanent tattoos made with ink.

I would guess it's a bit of both in regards to ink/paint tattoos, since we had that one traditionalist Sul in the Mel/Snadhya story who clearly had paint on since we saw her without it, while I would guess Ash's are permanent. But I think you're probably right that it's a personal decision about what type to get or even whether to get them, hence my comment about Yafein and Faen lacking them possibly indicating that they don't identify as strongly with their Sul heritage (which seems almost certain in Faen's case, at least before chapter 36).
AthenAltena
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Junglefowl26 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:11 am

Well, we do have out standard "DayDream is not canon" thing to consider, though Tanvya is supposed to be a prototype of the traditionalist Suls, and it makes a lot of sense that they could have tattoos for day to day affairs and war paint when it is time to rock.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Pitdragon » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:06 am

Dalvyserran wrote:I just noticed that Laj'tavi wasn't given any, so it might've been intentional to show that she's still a kid (or Suntiger or kern forgot to add them *lol* ). The only cameo that I know for sure has Sul tattoos is Min'issya.

Abi has them. Kern refers to them as War Paint, so I'm suspecting the markings are not permanent but are often worn for various reasons, including going into battle. They could symbolize anything from "I am Sul, here me roar" to giving an idea of what family line they're in, adjusted for the usual individuality of the wearer. I'd suspect the Vals use it over any vassal houses they have, and since Ash has quite a lineage that would lead to a large number of painted Suls.

Heck, just pondering on it, it could be a major individuality thing that became popular to show clan solidarity while still expressing themselves.
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby blackshade10 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:13 am

Cause they... are... AWESOME!

That's what I think at least. : p
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Location: Ashie Cleavage, plotting war against those of the Zala cleavage.
Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Torrin » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:00 am

I imagine that the Suls are a creative and individualistic people in much the same way as the Ilhardro, but they also have a very traditional culture, so I imagine war paint is an individual choice. A child of Ash'waren, for example, might choose to have a similar patterns to hers, or they might chose something different. In the case of Yafein and Faen, I suppose it might be that tradition holds that one remain unpainted until a certain age or ceremonial event in their lives, but I also suspect it might have to do with not living in the dome. In Faen's case, her status as a Sul, a Sarghress, and an exile is somewhat in doubt at this point, and I suspect she will never get war paint.
Torrin
Vel'akar

Postby wolfdancer95 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:18 pm

I think I sounded to sarcastic before o.O

Ariel on the roof is a good idea, not only would she be able to react if things go extremely bad and alert them about other dangers, eg, what a legion trained soldier should be doing, scouting and covering teammates. Ariel does need to learn to take a more supporting role, it's not glamorous or highly praised but the deciding factor in a fight. She is far to jumpy and eager to spring into action, which while admarble, not good when you're on a team and your allies have to adapt to you instead of being coordinated.

Turs is doing the practical thing, both in the situation and really, it's open that Ariel is the Heir and if anything happens to her at this stage the people around her are going to be punished for not making sure she was safe. Koil and Sang can get away with it, Turs can't.
wolfdancer95
Vel'akar

Clan: Vloz'ress

Return to Questions and World setting