The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Which Shield design do you prefer

Darkvolt's Steel Shield design
43%
Darkvolt's Heavy steel Shield Design
17%
Timotheus's Steel and wood Shield design
17%
Herda's Steel and wood shield design
4%
Goji's Golem steel Buckler Design
17%

Total votes : 23

Shield design: UPDATED Votes reset

Postby blackjack217 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:04 pm

There has been some argument over what shield design to use. So I'm putting it up for a vote.
Updated with new rules:
1. You may chose two options
2. You may change your vote at any time
3. The top two vote getter will have prototypes made and tested.
4. Final decision will be made then
5. No more new submissions will be accepted.
Darkvolt:
Timotheus:
Herdra:
Goji's golem buckler:
Last edited by blackjack217 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Anareth Nimaraidh
Ceterum autem censeo, Siyah-khorshed esse delendam!
blackjack217
Demon

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Re: Sheild design

Postby James Rye on Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:20 pm

Uh, we´ve got Hedrah´s shield desgin too, where is it?

Besides i think we should wait with such a desgin when we get the iron, coal and time to produce steel shields, the wood shield enhanced with some steel bends and deflector are mostly there cause the smiths have neither the time nor teh ressources to massproduce shields.
Thus the shield we have now is round and will stay round.
It will just get some stuff to not break and be more useable in a battle for the warriors and in some weeks when the battle is over we can focus on an steel shield desgin.

So i think this thread is a tad too early right now. But am glad we have it up already, shows that people do care about us warriors having good and lots of equipment. :)
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby BlackFulcrum on Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:49 pm

Wooden shields are useless imho, our current swords proved that during the tests, and we're getting new, better swords too, let alone all the heavy armor breaking stuff for next week.

What we need is proper high grade steel shields.
If you wish for peace, prepare for war

Reayna Nimariadh Tei'kaliath - Airship Denizen
Quanhir'nylwae Nimaraidh Tei'kaliath - Warrior and Guardian of Ama'varde
BlackFulcrum
Summoner

Postby Hetros on Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:55 am

Why didn't you add Goji's Scarab Buckler? D:
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby blackjack217 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:19 am

This what your talking about?
Anareth Nimaraidh
blackjack217
Demon

Postby Hetros on Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:20 am

blackjack217 wrote:Image

pretty much >>
Earth,fire,wind,and water all come together in perfect balance inside of a Smith's forge, this perfect harmony of elements can rarely be found anywhere else in existence.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby blackjack217 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:26 am

Hetros wrote:
blackjack217 wrote:Image

pretty much >>

Done, with new rules.
Anareth Nimaraidh
blackjack217
Demon

Postby Kran on Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:20 am

blackjack217 wrote:Done, with new rules.
Shit, I was not quick enough with the stupid scanner. I did not see a deadline.....oh well. *hmmm*
Honu Al'dun Tei'kaliath
Kran
Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby James Rye on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:08 am

BlackFulcrum wrote:Wooden shields are useless imho, our current swords proved that during the tests, and we're getting new, better swords too, let alone all the heavy armor breaking stuff for next week.

What we need is proper high grade steel shields.

They´re not useless. For example, the round shield didn´t broke after a whole day of training, however it probably would if we did the same with it again for a second day.
Thalar wrote that one of those two prototype should be good enough for warriors to be equipped, which leaves only the round shield after the oval has broken. It just means that we have to improve it, with some steel deflector and bends to strengthen the wood and have points where the steel sword wont leave marks. It´s like in our own history, pure steel shields were something heavy and mostly for rich people to wield, most either had thick wood shields (which work too, cause enemy weapons often stuck after a strong hit and got be pulled away) and wood with some steel work on top shields.
We gonna do the latter, for now.

It´s cause the smiths will be very very busy to produce over two dozen new armors and then the sword prototype which needs testing too and then also over a two dozen mass produced. And that all in a very thight timelimit given that the dvergar want to go soon and are waiting for some days already.
Crafters have to support the smiths with their work-load to improve warriors, archer and MS equipment for the battle, making wood shields with some metal work is in there, same for spears and leather armor. Those three types are what crafters could do on their own or with help of one or two smiths. That way the smiths have to worry about less projects and gets more time.

I agree though that the wood shield enhanced with steel is mostly a temporary way to get more defense option for warriors. An iron or steel shield would be better ofc, but also heavier.
If i´m guessing right then the warriors will be slower with their new and stronger armor than with their old one, same for warriors who wear a sword and shield at the same time might run slower than a warrior with just a sword or two swords. Would be worth testing once the tests with the new armor are over. Having fast warrior squads would be good too. They just have to give up on wearing the new and probably heavier armor but for that they can move faster and surround enemy squads and attack from behind or from the side.^^
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Re: Shield design: UPDATED Votes reset

Postby blackjack217 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:25 am

Well it looks like we have a clear winner but a tie for second place. Would anyone care to break the deadlock?
Anareth Nimaraidh
blackjack217
Demon

Postby Hetros on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:40 am

I'm saying this now. We have barely any time, nor the membership to produce these shields, and the rest of what we have got. It's probably got to be a golem engineer (in goji's shield's case) or crafter's headed job. We're going to be splitting our smiths in ANY CASE between prototype projects and producing what we've prototyped. We have a limited amount of time here.

If somebody wants to volunteer and switch to smith and HELP US OUT HERE, then by all means, we need the help, definitely. We could produce these then.
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby blackjack217 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:49 am

Hey I'll help. I never understood why people insist on staying as one job anyway, since the system does not penalize those who switch.
Anareth Nimaraidh
blackjack217
Demon

Postby Hetros on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:53 am

blackjack217 wrote:Hey I'll help. I never understood why people insist on staying as one job anyway, since the system does not penalize those who switch.

Well I try to remain in character for it, which means crafting, mining, smithing, architecture, and engineering.

But if you can help that'd be enormous, can you start converting warrior armors into mk.3's the moment we're done so I can begin prototyping the mana spec armor?
~Hetros' Mentor
Hetros
Dragon of the Nether

Postby hedrah on Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:02 am

[[ you do know i updated the round shield design quite a few days ago with a slight improved one, right? http://imgur.com/YMMvK like a week ago.
hedrah
Summoner

Location: Ja'niike The Harverster of Food! (what? Expected Sorrow?)

Postby blackjack217 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:32 am

Hetros wrote:
blackjack217 wrote:Hey I'll help. I never understood why people insist on staying as one job anyway, since the system does not penalize those who switch.

Well I try to remain in character for it, which means crafting, mining, smithing, architecture, and engineering.

But if you can help that'd be enormous, can you start converting warrior armors into mk.3's the moment we're done so I can begin prototyping the mana spec armor?

So tell me would Hetros take up arms for the clan to save those he loves? If yes the BAM warrior, or mana spec or what have you.
As for Anareth his passion is the mana arts and very vocally resents anything that takes him away from that. If the clan has a need, he will be there bitching and moaning about how he has this awesome mana project he needs to get done but darn it someone has to do it! And if some other idiot would help out once and a while he could get back to his real job. On the other hand he is so quick to volunteer without being asked there is a widespread suspicion he is blowing hot air XD
Anareth Nimaraidh
blackjack217
Demon

Next

Return to Community Centre