Have Drowtales inspired stories and art? Share it here!

More Fanart: Snadhya'rune

More Fanart: Snadhya'rune

Postby is-ness » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:42 am

I did these designs last year. I was going to enter the contest with a post-time-skip story, but since it involved Naal and Naal left us right around that time, I decided not to finish it. So I've had these designs lying around for quite some time, and I just now got around to uploading them on deviantArt and sharing them here. There's another one of Kyo too, but as that design is my least favorite, and for reasons of space was on a separate sheet of paper, I didn't bother scanning it so I could upload it.

I was originally going to color them too, but since I have two jobs, I don't have a lot of time for art and I have other projects that take a higher priority. But I did some flat colors for Chrys'tel because I enjoyed designing her outfit the most. I will eventually clean the linearts up so that if anyone wants to color them, they'll have an easier time of it, but I won't be able to color them myself for a while.

EDIT: The forum chops off poor Kiel on my computer, so here's the link to the image on deviantArt: http://is-ness.deviantart.com/art/Sketch-Adult-Drowtales-214327152?q=gallery%3Ais-ness&qo=3

Last edited by is-ness on Fri May 25, 2012 3:12 am, edited 7 times in total.
is-ness
Tainted

Re: Adult Chrys and Others

Postby Leopardwerecat » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:11 pm

You've done a really good job on designing these outfits, and how they reflect each character's individual personality.

Appraisal for each design:

Chrys'tel: I really like how her outfit mirrors Zala's, with the ornate sash, the split skirt and the high boots, yet it still reflects Chrys' own tastes. As for the colour, I do like the typical Sharen teal/dark greens, but I think Chrys might favour more red in her choice of clothing, but that's just my view, and it's your design, you have the right to colour it as you see fit.

Shinae: I really, really like this one (it may well be my favourite ;D). It's classy yet understated (although the wearer certainly isn't XD ), and I especially like the 'shawl' part over her shoulders.

Naal: Belts, transparent shawls, a flowing dress and even more belts! <3 I really like this outfit, it ranks very closely behind Shinae's, although I think Beldie's seem to favour more muted and simple designs that are relatively modest and unrevealing (but then again, we haven't seen that many Beldie's to know if that's the norm or if some favoured more adventurous outfits.)

Kiel: I do like this outfit's relatively simple design, but it seems more like something Ash'waren would wear, or maybe if Kiel had to dress up for a formal meeting or ball of some sorts; it doesn't really seem to reflect on the Vloz 'spikes, armour, cloaks and daggers' sense of fashion, but it's a pretty outfit nonetheless, even if it's a lot more ornate and revealing than Kiel's current style. *heehee*

All in all, you've done a very ice job of designing outfits for them after the timekip. :)
Leopardwerecat
Demon

Location: Patiently waiting for the war to end at the Jaal'darya Citadel.
Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby is-ness » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:17 am

Thank you! You're right, Chrys does prefer reds and blacks, but since the point of coloring her was to test a new method, I wanted to have a clear view of the result. I went with Zala's house colors because they have higher color contrast.

I'm fond of Shinae's design too (I like the dragon), and I think it accurately walks the fine line between Shi-shi's taste in wanting to appear noble and what Zala would allow her to wear.

For Naal, I didn't have much to go on except Naal's outfits and that one dress Waes wears. And I think the design will look a lot more conservative once it is colored. I intended to color the outfit in various shades of black and the neutral tones should balance out the intricate design so that it is Beld approved.

In Kiel's case, I admit the design is off. But Vloz fashion (at the time) seemed rather dependent upon who is wearing it. So I went with what I thought Kiel would like. I'd like to redesign this one again because we saw a lot more Vloz fashion in chapter 28, but that will have to wait until I find time.
is-ness
Tainted

Postby ChaosChampion » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:26 pm

cracking stuff is-ness. *wee* I liked how you portrayed naal, she looks adorable. XD
ChaosChampion
Nether Seed

Illhar'dro

Postby is-ness » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:49 am

I gave up sweets, caffeine, and fast food for Lent (I know, I'm crazy). So, as you can imagine, I'm grouchy and I have horrible cravings. To help me deal with those side-effects, I'm trying to draw something every day. Today I drew a random illhar'dro.

The Illhar'dro aren't my favorite clan by any means, but one of the things I do like about them is that their fashion is so diverse. It is always interesting to see what new thing the various Illhar'dro characters will wear. So though this Illhar'dro girl is wearing something very modern-looking, I don't think it's outside the bounds of the clan's fashion or ideology.
is-ness
Tainted

Re: Beldrobbaen

Postby is-ness » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:27 pm

is-ness
Tainted

Sullisin'rune and Kyorl'solenurn

Postby is-ness » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:13 pm

Two more.

is-ness
Tainted

Re: Sullisin'rune and Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Sy'rasri » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:58 am

I love the detail in the Sullisin'rune clothes.
All of them are awesome!
Sy'rasri
Summoner

Location: Off seeking to restore my honor, by not seeking honor
Clan: Jaal'darya

Re: Sullisin'rune and Kyorl'solenurn

Postby is-ness » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:43 am

When coloring this one, I noticed for the first time just how very weird the Nal'sarkoth skintone is. That color is one of many eyedropped directly from drowtales pages to get the color right. Every time I eyedropped their skin color, from shadow to midtone to highlight, it doesn't matter. The color continually came up an odd grey. It's actually not that far unrelated to the color I used for the Kyorl'solenurn.

I'm reasonably sure it's not my computer's fault, and I'm partly sure it's not operator error. Can anyone explain this to me?
is-ness
Tainted

Re: Sarghress

Postby is-ness » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:49 am

I promise the others are coming. The final three designs are complete but in need of coloring, and I have no regular access to an internet connection at the moment (hassles of moving and all), but they ARE coming.
is-ness
Tainted

Re: Sarghress

Postby wolfdancer95 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:11 am

I love them, the Nals one the most, the hair is terrific, and the skin tone is good, don't worry about that. though, I think I read somewhere that Nal's are actually darker then most drow. huh :x
wolfdancer95
Vel'akar

Clan: Vloz'ress

Sharen and Vloz'ress

Postby is-ness » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:24 am

Two in one day. I really don't want to pack any more boxes. That, and these two are some of my favorite clans.

A Vloz'ress

And a Sharen.

The Sharen was particularly difficult. Each of Diva's daughters have their own style, so each bloodline has its own distinct look. It visually makes the point that the Sharen are divided, which I like, but it didn't make my task any easier. I wanted to draw an "average" sharen, but with sisters all divided, there isn't much that keeps their designs cohesive across the clan. So I had to pick a bloodline. Since Sillice and Nishi'kanta's lines were both nearly wiped out, and since Snadhya has no official sharen children, that left Zala and Sarv. I suppose an "average" sharen would be one of Zala's brood because she has so many children, but I find Sarv more interesting, so that's who I picked.
is-ness
Tainted

Re: Vloz'ress and Sharen

Postby Aerisa » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:52 am

Loving them! The mask and crown design are definitely original. Different from what we've seen in the cannon so far, but not so much that we couldn't imagine seeing it in the comic. Well done!
Aerisa
Vel'akar

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby is-ness » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:07 pm

Thanks!

Actually, the mask is probably the most canonical thing about the vlozzie's design. Take a look at the guy in the fourth panel on this page: http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=7172

I noticed that most of the time, members of the same gang wear masks that are similar in design (not always, but most of the time). And I really liked that guy's mask.
is-ness
Tainted

Postby La'karma » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:39 pm

is-ness wrote:Thanks!

Actually, the mask is probably the most canonical thing about the vlozzie's design. Take a look at the guy in the fourth panel on this page: http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=7172

I noticed that most of the time, members of the same gang wear masks that are similar in design (not always, but most of the time). And I really liked that guy's mask.

I knew I recognized that mask design from somewhere. Though I like the additional markings on your mask, it gives it a cool feel. Don't know how best to describe it, I ain't going to try and be artsy with it. I also love the purple darkening thing with the Vel'Sharen's hair. Where it goes from white to light purple and then dark, if I could draw and ever can think up a character I would do that.
La'karma
Summoner

Next

Return to Fanfics and Fanart