Archive of the pre-timeskip roleplays. If you wish to continue a pre-timeskip roleplay, you'll have to do so in the DT Freestyle subforum! PM Thalar to have a thread moved from this subforum to the Freestyle subforum.

Dwarf for Sale in Chel ((Open))

Re: Dwarf for Sale in Chel ((Open))

Postby Enkhoffer » Tue May 17, 2011 8:31 pm

"Is that what you want? To have the rest of our people enslaved because you decided it is easier to do nothing? Only when we fear their whips enough to still our tongues have they defeated us, and as long as there are still free Dvergar in this land we can still win our freedom."

*A rough hand grapped each of Rugo's shoulders from behind. In his rant he had not noticed guards coming onto the stage.
A knee struck his head from the left and threw him to the floor, and while one of the two guards held him down, the other gagged him with a piece of cloth. His shackles were then attached to a pole at the corner of the platform so his only actions could be a furious mumbling.
Last edited by Enkhoffer on Wed May 18, 2011 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enkhoffer
Nether Spawn

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Zickman » Wed May 18, 2011 7:20 am

Hadro hung his head in shame, wanting desperately to retort to the fellow Dwarf’s words but unable to unman himself in the eyes of this proud Duergar anymore. His brother was right. They would have only lost when mentalities like Hadro were supreme. But blast it all, what could they do? They were outnumbered almost a hundred to one, these black devils commanded sorceries and daemons straight from hell, what could they do? Hadro wanted to continue the resistance as much as the Dwarf beside him, but he didn’t want to die. He wasn’t afraid to say it. He was afraid of death.
So it was that when the brave Duergar was bounded and dragged away for his outburst, Hadro did nothing but glare at the ground and remain silent. Hating himself for his cowardice, and hating the Duergar more for reminding him of it.
Zickman
Summoner

Postby Enkhoffer » Thu May 19, 2011 1:19 pm

*Struggling in his bonds, Rugo tried furiously to escape. But his arms were bound behind his back and around a pole, and his ancles were chained together. Struggling and writhing, he eventually calmed down with a restless sigh.*
Last edited by Enkhoffer on Fri May 20, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enkhoffer
Nether Spawn

Postby The Watcher » Thu May 19, 2011 8:37 pm

"There is another way, friends," Durin whispered to the pair before the guards came to drag Rugo off and break up any onlookers. "We cannot fight the drow by force of arms and win... but we can fight them by force of craft. By working to rebuild what we have lost, so that our race can grow strong once more and one day, when we are the great ancestors of ages past, win our lands back from the Devils. I fight to secure this victory with my every breath, and when the time comes, I will do my best to help you do the same. For now, survive, and wait."

The merchant dwarf made sure to look appropriately shooed off as the guards began dispersing the crowd until the auction and sorting out the slaves. But when they were done, he whisked by to offer a few last whispered words to the bound and gagged Rugo.

"The black sun are wanderers, comrade, they have no homes to be sold into. No buyer from them will come here today or any day, for they would be killed on sight to step within this city. If you wish your vengeance and I cannot save you from auction today, then earn your freedom or slip your chains when you can, and when that day arrives, come and find me in the city of Val'Raveran. My hearth will be open to you, my table yours to share, and you will have my aid in claiming your vengeance."

With that, Bergthalsson melted away into the crowd, awaiting the afternoon and the fateful occurrences that were to happen then.
The Watcher
Summoner

Postby Zenzetra » Thu May 19, 2011 11:09 pm

It was there that he witnessed a scene of rarity (somewhat). Napheto, still clinging to the wall of people behind him, watched the three dwarves in awe. He listened to the distinctive tones and drawn pronunciation of the Dwarven tongue, and watched their bebearded facial expressions and gesturing.

Time drew ever on and Rugo began shouting more. Napheto could not understand a single word but for some strange reason he felt he believed in what the chained Dverger was saying (what ever it was). Durin leant in and might have said something else but his voice became lost in the reaction of the crowd as the guards descended upon Rugo as only guards could; Roughly and cautiously.

Napheto watched with a tinge of regret as Rugo was drug away. The young Drow did not even notice as Durin left with the crowd, he was bemused. Even while shackled and outnumbered he would not back down until it meant conserving his strength.

There they existed for awhile in near silence; Hadro sullenly staring off at the ground, Rugo strung haphazardly to a pole and Napheto lost in thought. One of the guards walked out to the edge of the platform and peered down at the boy, "What are you doing here? The show's over, kid" he spat. This broke Napheto's concentration and he came back to reality in time to see Durin walk back as the guard that interrupted his train-of-thought stared him down.

"What do you mean, `the show is over`?" Began Napheto, "I want to have enough time to inspect the slaves before they are to be sold. How else can I be sure of what I am getting?"

The guard eyed the house crest stitched into the boy's sleeve and grimaced, "You're telling me a Beldrobbaen child has enough money to buy a slave?"

Something clicked in Napheto's mind at that remark and he threw his hood off revealing his messy, green hair. His mouth and nose were twisted up into a kind of snarl or an exaggerated, angry frown.

"H-how dare you? That is ValBeldrobbaen to you!"

The Drow child climbed onto the stage, shot a cold look at the guard and then turned his attention to Hadro. "Dwarf, look up at me. Can you speak like I do?" This demanding tone came with some uncanny hand gestures (which Napheto had hoped looked similar to the Dverger gestures).
Zenzetra
Tainted

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Zickman » Fri May 20, 2011 10:25 am

Hadro looked up from his broodings as he was interrupted when he was addressed. His eyes fell upon one of the black oppressors. Hatred and anger warred for dominant emotion in Hadro’s heart, he clenched his fist and fought off the urge to spring upon the Drow. To try and throttle him as he knew any true Duergar would. But he couldn’t, the memories of the slave camp and their atrocities were still too fresh in mind. The wounds on his soul still unhealed. He was afraid, afraid of the punishment that action would cause.
Hating himself with every fiber of his being for his cowardice Hadro looked up and replied tonelessly.
“Yes, I can.”
Zickman
Summoner

Postby Zenzetra » Fri May 20, 2011 6:56 pm

Napheto became nervous when Hadro looked up. Something dark burned in the back of his eyes, but then he answered "Yes, I can".

As soon as Hadro spoke, Napheto leant forward and inhaled through his nose. "Mhmm, Well your breath is all right. No chance of a stomach bug, I hope." The boy began giving a short assessment checking Hadro's eyes and muscle structure. He then stopped as if something suddenly occurred to him.

Napheto spun to face the guard that was still encroaching on his personal space. "Well, do you mind? I must have my inspection in peace." The guard rolled his eyes and gave up his position. As he fled back to his co-workers he had hoped they wouldn't ask him about what had just happened.

Once the Drow child was certain he had his privacy his tone rose slightly. "Well, now that he's gone... It must be terrible to be in your position," He spoke calmly and evenly (his voice gave away his age, however). "You have a lot of power and potential but my people keep you chained here."

Napheto slid to Hadro's side and spoke quieter. "It is because they fear you, Dverger. I know it seems unfair to be so limited but if you make yourself look less depressed then you will at least go to a decent house, and who knows..." He trailed off and began to walk toward the back of the stage, "... Maybe you will be granted some freedoms by your master".

The boy approached Rugo, tired and distraught. "Greetings, `Original one`. Can you understand me?"
Zenzetra
Tainted

Postby Enkhoffer » Fri May 20, 2011 9:10 pm

Rugo understood some of the Drow language, but he was not sure he understood this boy. Original one? Who did this brat think he was talking to Rugo like this? A slavetaker coming to make conversation with a slave, and calling him "Orignial one"!
Rugo was quite convinced that had he not been chained to the post, he would try his best to erase the boy's facial features with his knees and strangle what was left behind with his manacles, but in his current condition the best alternative was to try his best to make the boy aware that yes, he did understand him and yes, he did hate him for asking.
Eyes glaring, Rugo nodded.
Enkhoffer
Nether Spawn

Postby Zenzetra » Fri May 20, 2011 9:49 pm

Napheto's eyes lit up and a short smile spread across his face. "Oh good! I suppose I am also correct in the assumption that you are poor at Drow speech." He walked around to Rugo's side to keep out of the way. In the case that Rugo found a way to get free, Napheto would certainly not want to be standing right in his way.

The boy continued, "You spoke with such conviction, earlier. I bet you will get into a strong house if you play your cards right." He smirked and added, "What kind of life did you lead before you were brought here; was it a despondent, struggling existence?"
Zenzetra
Tainted

Postby Enkhoffer » Sat May 21, 2011 12:56 am

*Again, Rugo did not completely understand. He was not familiar with the word despondent, but did he ever know of being "struggling". Though, due to his gag, he could only retort with a series of consonants.

"Mhmm-mm. Mmm kmmm."
Enkhoffer
Nether Spawn

Postby Zenzetra » Sat May 21, 2011 1:17 am

The drow child ignored Rugo's muffled retort and pressed on, "Just think, Dverger; Now you no longer have to fight against the Drow. Unless all you are is a killing machine.."

Looking up Napheto tried to make eye contact. After some deliberation he turned his palm downward and focused his mana. The boy flipped his wrist up and a small, shadowy needle flew out. It arced around Rugo's shoulder to the back of his neck and sliced through the knot on his gag loosening it. The needle dissolved into the surrounding lights as it passed around the other side and vanished just inches above the platform floor.
Zenzetra
Tainted

Postby Enkhoffer » Sat May 21, 2011 1:12 pm

*Rugo felt the cloth loosen. Casting a quick glance at the now more distant guard to make sure his attention was directed elsewhere, he removed the gag further with awkward movements of his chin, till his mouth was free. His hateful voice hissed and snarled as he whispered to the boy:*

"Do not have to fight Drow? Why we do not? Why we do not have to fight the strange devils taking our land and our warriors?
Why this boy comes to me talking like this? If me hands free were, I would eat you face and smile of the taste!"
Enkhoffer
Nether Spawn

Postby Zenzetra » Sat May 21, 2011 5:47 pm

The boy grinned when he realized the Dverger was much better at speech than he originally anticipated. "Despite what you say, you are still tied up to that pole. I figure if you are going to be living alongside us you might as well enjoy the perks. You will not have to fight against them, you will probably be fed and possibly be groomed. Your life is getting less complicated and you do not even realize it."

Napheto crossed around the back of the pole and surveyed the bindings, "Of course... if you would rather take your chances with the guards, maybe your rope could be cut and maybe you could be free to explore your options, but how far will you make it before they catch you? This time around they will not just capture you, either; You will probably be killed!"
Zenzetra
Tainted

Postby Enkhoffer » Sat May 21, 2011 9:47 pm

*Rugo weighed his options. He could indeed be let loose, kill the boy (gruesomely) and either attack the guards or run.
And quite correctly pointed out by the yonugster, he would likely be caught and killed. His surviving four years in the colony would go to waste for this one chance of temporary freedom. And if he died on this street, he would be of no more use to his people.*

"Leave rope. I have wait for much long to take easy way. I will make my escape with honour when chance mine is given."
Enkhoffer
Nether Spawn

Postby Zenzetra » Sun May 22, 2011 12:08 am

Napheto laughed and came to a stop at Rugo's feet. "I was not even thinking about helping you with your ropes. I may be young but even I can feel your lust for spilled blood."

Then the boy exhaled slowly and began again, "It is good to see you can swallow some pride.You will live much longer this way". He turned about and looked back over his shoulder at Rugo.

"The house that wins you will be quite lucky... if you can keep yourself from killing anyone important."

Napheto pulled his hood back over his head, passed his hand over his face and obscured his features with thick shadows. A locke of green hair still stuck out from under the hood.

The Drow child moved on to `inspect` the other Dverger (though admitedly; none of the others were nearly as interesting as Rugo and Hadro). He would spend his time this way until the auction begins.
Zenzetra
Tainted

PreviousNext

Return to Drowtales Roleplay Archive