The heart of Ther'avare! Join in the conversations and make yourself known amongst your clan, and participate in its life, culture, and art!

Re: Due'gar's Dugout

Postby blackshade10 on Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:24 pm

Ein'keos wrote:Fountain in town sounds like it'd also be good to supply people with easy access to water!

Might want to invest in a water tank, instead of an actual pump. Or have it so the pump is turned on and off to fill the tank.

Don't want to detract from the river after all.
Drowtales RP Review Assistant
Unofficial DTRPG Newbie Helper
--
Elk Cros'sin Val'Sullisin'rune - "Awww, how cute. You think you can take me."
Ash'vari Ist'aven Val'Sullisin'rune - "Zzzzz... Wait what?"
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Location: Ashie Cleavage, plotting war against those of the Zala cleavage.
Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Darthar on Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:38 pm

The water pump would be useful, the downside is would it just be one pump or a series of pumps? It'd be like the gas siphoning of 70s. Long lines backing up just to get basic usage of water? A fountain could work, but anything beyond practicality should be a secondary priority. It may look "nice" or whatever weak adjective I can muster, but for the time being anything elaborate should be agreed upon.

I'm not sure if it's doable given the circumstances, but basic water distribution could tie into the overall system. Do we have irrigation for "farming?" or is most of it still fueled by magic? I would suggest an adequct irrigation project that could connect to several key points in relation to the pumps and proposed fountains. The adequct could go over the river and through a system of canals and levees, water would flow into those key areas. Again, it might not be doable at all, and it could require an immense amount of effort and time, but with the influx of villagers, we need a solid system to get them basic utilities.
Ideas are weapons. They can save a million people or destroy a million. The cause matters not. Words are empty threats. Only through blood and sacrifice can justice or tryany reign. The game is set. Are you a pawn or king?
Darthar
Nether Spawn

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Lordof??? on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:02 pm

A small trickle of water is frequently more than enough for a population.

You could look up Machu Pichu's water system. It had a fairly small flow of water but because it is constantly flowing it supplied all the water needs.

I would have our pump pump faster than our water can flow out and have it fill up a large reservoir or cistern. The water then flows out at a steady rate and we just need to fire up the pump every couple of days to get the level topped back up.
Lordof???
Summoner

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby minalia on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:15 pm

The pipe system is quite easy. you need a main pipe that brings out the water, install a series of small pipes connected to it to bring it at key junctures to let gravity do the work.and install a second set of pipes to evacuate the dirty water. Usualy the main pipes would need to be around 4-6 inches wide and the smaller pipes to evacuate them need to be around 2 inches in diameter. At the lower end of the canal that leads the dirty water only needs to be at most 4 inches anything bigger is plain overkill unless you are using a huge amount of water for a building with 30+ floors with each floor having their own bathroom.

I could make a diagram for the pipe system for the fountain but i kinda need the maps of the emplacements of the fountains. It's easier to draw it on the elevation view with another plan indicating all the pipe going. But then you need to indicate just where will the pipe be installed, in plain view or underground, should they be installed inside the walls out of sight or buried 2-3 feet under the rock floor?
A survivalist should not be a pessimist, he should always be positive, happy and enjoying life more than anyone else because he understands that each minute of peace we have is precious and unique, and he never takes it for granted.
minalia
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Ein'keos on Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:53 pm

Okay... so we ran out of rock for this turn. Are we going to start in on the road while the Miner's try and collect us some more rock? Personally, I favour working with the Miner's to excavate the NE ruins to get rock. Not only do we obtain rock but we get to do some relic hunting as well and wind up with some empty, if damaged, buildings.

Oh, that or finally get that aquaculture project done! In fact, that sort of sounds like it's got a better chance of yielding significant rock supplies. Maybe aquaculture, than ruins next turn if we're still short on rock?
Ein'keos Al'dun Teikaliath - Builder
Ein'keos
Vel'akar

Postby Merlune on Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:36 pm

It seems like that Kran has already stated the main ideas that have been put out seance the tower was destroyed.

First of all there is Timotheus's aquaculture plan which can be read here:
http://forums.drowtales.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=13332&start=630#p598818
boy *eek* is it long winded! Mostly the idea is to make water pools in Ther'avare so that we would never be cut from our food supply. I feel that we would get more bang for our buck if we used aeroponics, but that is my opinion.
Here is a site on growing algae http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algaculture
And aeroponics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroponics
And for good measure aquaculture http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaculture
There is not going to be just one system to get our food need (at least I hope not *upset* ) but different systems work best for different types of food.

Then there is roads and small town area which Hetros has writes
http://forums.drowtales.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=13332&start=645#p599402
This is an "if you build it they will come" thing. The hope is to get a population here so that we can stop fighting for what we have. Also a road will make people more willing to use our gate, and we get the tolling fee. Don't know if either of these will work.
Merlune
Summoner

Postby Darthar on Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:39 pm

I get what you are saying with the pipe works, and like any other distribution system it could work. I'm only concerned with the intricate level of detail you seem to have; If I remember correctly, isn't an action supposed to be macro management and not specific to the exact placement of every pipe and connecting point of the waterworks?
Ideas are weapons. They can save a million people or destroy a million. The cause matters not. Words are empty threats. Only through blood and sacrifice can justice or tryany reign. The game is set. Are you a pawn or king?
Darthar
Nether Spawn

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Timotheus on Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:27 pm

Well in spite of the rousing reception, I'll just comment that the final (as far as I'm concerned) version is shown in the post made on 19 Mar 2010, 00:02 in this topic, page 45, so please ignore any other version. Yes I know there are several of these posted out there, each was a step in a learning curve, but this one incorporates many of the features others have said they wanted to see. If someone's got a better plan, go for it. This one provides algae and aquatic life habitat, a central core for a city waste water system, expands the water distribution system, adds two possible fountains of fresh water and sets up two areas for surface agriculture in the city (mushroom trees and ground plots). It can be incorporated into any further projects such as the rooftop gardens and was laid out with as many of the old proposed projects for expansion as I could find in mind (new slave quarters, internal keep, bath house, apartments). It even provides for growing light plants and possible duck flocks. All I can say is, I tried.
If I knew what I was doing I'd be dangerous.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Location: Either building something or kibitzing someone else's project. Mana, boats, and mills!

Postby Timotheus on Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:46 pm

For reference purposes only.
I've been working on my editing skills and trying to come up with a sort of projects overview for the cavern, most of which are connected to the permanent resident tourist proposal. Here's the result

PtPthe Cavern-fullmap4.JPG

Slightly revised illustration to make letters and details more legible.

The identifying letters haven't come out as clear as I wanted, but it shows...
A - the trade road, however we construct it
B - the cliff side lookout,
C - a fortified mine entrance that also serves as the entrance to the cliff side lookouts, quarters for miners, guards, scouts, and acts as a civil affairs center for any residential area on the lower plain,
D - a planned market square with a fountain/water source. The fountain can be pump fed from the river, a well, or gravity fed from a reservoir,
E - the reservoir, located on the top of the city bluff so it can gravity feed the plain below, the reservoir is filled by either a pump or gravity siphon from the city water source, This gives us control of the water supply.
F - the two possible discharge routes of the Aquaculture System. One would have to be chosen if the system is built, the western one goes to a gray field and the eastern one to a culture pool.
G - a apartment building and shop on the lower plain, symbolizing all the town structures needed if we actually build the community.
H - the expanded aquaculture zone. these ponds are only a few feet deep, have fresh water connections to allow continuous flow, and ideally would be leased out to settlers who would do the actual work. They also act as a barrier to the river and the city.
(My additions)
I - a site for a water gate. This would be closed on a regular basis to raise the water level of the river, which would temporarily increase the water flow through the aquaculture fields.
K - the water mills used to mechanize the preparation of algae for food and commercial use. Finished products would be algae dough for biscuit baking, algae flour for more refined baking, algae meal for animal food, and brushed and stranded algae for craft purposes.

L - Welcome gate (and possible border post) for exit to upper world.
M - the dwarven ruins. I'm not sure how much of it would be in any state to house people once they've been cleared, the description was that of a pretty totally collapsed structure. And there is no water near them so it would have to be brought in.

I know, another wall of text. But I feel the individual entries are short and to the point and it gives an overview of the infrastructure situation..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Timotheus on Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Location: Either building something or kibitzing someone else's project. Mana, boats, and mills!

Postby Lordof??? on Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:42 pm

Ideally for the aquaculture pools we would actually completely divert the river from its current course and have it flow through the aquaculture pools from one end to the other.

All we would need to do would make a graduated set of pools which spread the water flow from one channel to three or four of comparable width, this will make for a slower gentler flow good for growing algae but a continuous flow that will keep the water fresh enough for fish etc. to live in.
Lordof???
Summoner

Postby Timotheus on Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:49 pm

It's hard to see details, but that's essentially what's going on. Only it's just part of the river's flow.
Timotheus
Vel'akar

Postby Tyrel on Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:39 am

"Greetings fellow Clan members my name is T'yrel and I would Like to request to join your work force, Im a hard worker and enjoy manual labour"

(A small description of my character:

T'yrel stands at a towering 6ft 8inchs tall and is heavily built due to being a heavy labourer slave in his past, he wares black bottoms and has a white sash draped over his right shoulder that partialy hides the old whip scars on his back.

T'yrel is usualy very cheerfull and like to make fun of himself and others whenever possible he has a carefree attitude to life and wants to enjoy it for as long as possible.)

"I have a few suggestions that I would like to voice if accepted about projects that we could undertake to improve our saftey and our infrastructure, I humbly await your answer to my request"
Tyrel
Summoner

Postby blackshade10 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:44 am

Tyrel wrote:"Greetings fellow Clan members my name is T'yrel and I would Like to request to join your work force, Im a hard worker and enjoy manual labour"

(A small description of my character:

T'yrel stands at a towering 6ft 8inchs tall and is heavily built due to being a heavy labourer slave in his past, he wares black bottoms and has a white sash draped over his right shoulder that partialy hides the old whip scars on his back.

T'yrel is usualy very cheerfull and like to make fun of himself and others whenever possible he has a carefree attitude to life and wants to enjoy it for as long as possible.)

"I have a few suggestions that I would like to voice if accepted about projects that we could undertake to improve our saftey and our infrastructure, I humbly await your answer to my request"

RP is restricted solely to the RP section of the forum, just so you know. Everything else is strictly OOC.

And welcome to the forum. ^^
Drowtales RP Review Assistant
Unofficial DTRPG Newbie Helper
--
Elk Cros'sin Val'Sullisin'rune - "Awww, how cute. You think you can take me."
Ash'vari Ist'aven Val'Sullisin'rune - "Zzzzz... Wait what?"
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Location: Ashie Cleavage, plotting war against those of the Zala cleavage.
Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Idunyken on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:57 am

Welcome Tyrel! Don't worry, you're allowed your traditional RP intro ;) Good to have another pair of hands :D
PtP - Iduken'di the hoodie-wearing brickie!
"Badai lost his arm intentionally, to give the rest of the world half a chance"
Idunyken
Vel'akar

Location: In a log cabin with beers cooling in the snow outside...livin' the dream!

Postby Tyrel on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:34 pm

thats cool, I just wanted to introduce myself... I hope I can help out you guys with improving the clan and making us grow strong :)
Tyrel
Summoner

PreviousNext

Return to Community Centre