Private forum for Relic Hunter players.

Relic hunter 2 bug report thread

Re: Relic hunter 2 bug report thread

Postby Vilx- » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:02 pm

One more idea - if the picture is huge in dimensions (say, 10mpix), then the server might run out of memory when trying to resize it. There's a limit on how much memory a script may take up. Try resizing it yourself to something more reasonable (say, less than 1000px by 1000px).
Vilx-
Summoner

Clan: Valley'gurl

Postby Aeryll » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:23 pm

Vilx- wrote:Picture uploads - interesting. It works for other people, so it's probably on your end. Here's a few ideas to check:
  • How big is the file? Server has a limit for file sizes. It's somewhere at several MB, but if you're posting a huge pic, you could reach it.
  • What format is it? The website only accepts JPEG/GIF/PNG. JPEG can actually have several different encodings inside it, I'm not sure if PHP GD2 supports all of them. Try to re-save it with another tool.
  • If all else fails, PM me the picture and I'll check it out.

Hi Vilx,

This was the picture in question: http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j139/ncrijns/Adin.png
The size is 800 kb, dimensions 2200x2700 or larger *upset*
We've fixed it by cutting of the head and resizing as gif. Which did kill it a little... :[

Anyway, the dimensions were more then the file upload thing that's used could handle.
Aeryll
Summoner

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby kingpower » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:22 pm

I got it to work anyway thanks ^^
kingpower
Tainted

Postby Aeryll » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:51 pm

Here's one I don't know if it is a bug or working as intended.

When the invite from the Fen Wolves arrived I got this huge scroll with 'your got messages!' in the screen. So clicked to go to the squad page. I assumed this would be enough and the message scroll would go away. It didn't untill I clicked the dismiss button. This is by design?
Aeryll
Summoner

Postby Vilx- » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:43 am

Well, kinda... This was easier to make. The point is - if the scroll would go away after being shown just once, then you might accidentally miss some messages (it is pretty big, but you might accidentally refresh the page or something). So I made the "dismiss" button that you have to click in order to show that you have actually read all the messages.

However... now that I think about it, clicking on the "Go to squad page" pretty much shows you that you have read them as well. So it too should close the scroll. I'll add this to the wishlist.

On a side note - I'm starting to long for a proper bugtracker. :P
Vilx-
Summoner

Postby Aeryll » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:51 am

It might be easier to add a linkie under the 'your profile' saying 'you have a new message' which pops the scroll?

That way you know someone read it because they clicked on the link.
Aeryll
Summoner

Postby Vilx- » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:09 am

I'm actually planning on doing that too. It would be like an "inbox". You could also see your old messages there, and even send custom messages to other players. I just haven't had the time for it.

But I think that there should also be some popup notification that jumps straight into your face so you can't miss it. Well, after there's an inbox, I suppose I could replace it with simply "You've got mail! Click here to read it." For now however the scroll is the only way you can read your messages. And after you dismiss them, they're gone forever. So I tried to make it very difficult to ignore it. :P
Vilx-
Summoner

Postby Vilx- » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:18 am

Aeryll wrote:This was the picture in question: http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j139/ncrijns/Adin.png
The size is 800 kb, dimensions 2200x2700 or larger.
OK, so that's 23MB uncompressed. That must've hit the memory barrier. OK, here's a few pointers about the pictures. I think these things are obvious, but then again I'm a computer programmer, so I think differently than most people. (And this has lead to quite a few misunderstandings already)

The server has a limit for maximum file upload sizes and memory that a script can take. This is a simple security measure so some bad guy couldn't kill the server so easily by giving it too much data. However that also means that you can't upload pictures of any huge size.

Now when you upload a picture, the server will re-compress it to 118px by 118px JPEG in 80% quality. This saves disk space on the server, and people need to download less when they want to see your avatar. Also as a nifty side-effect this removes fancy stuff like animations and transparency.

So when you do upload a picture, you can save yourself a lot of trouble by resizing it yourself to something that fits within 118px by 118px (doesn't necessarily have to be square), has no animation, and has no transparent (or semi-transparent) parts. Then you can be sure that what you get is what you have uploaded.
Vilx-
Summoner

Postby Aeryll » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:32 am

Add the 118 x 118 thing to the FAQ for future portraits and reference please.
Aeryll
Summoner

Postby Vilx- » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:35 am

OK, will do.
Vilx-
Summoner

Postby Aeryll » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Archives gone haywire. Mission 1 gone missing. Mission 2 works, only has the outlook for mission 1. There's a new page ! on the front page that leads to Mission 2. With a NEW page!

I want to seeeeeeeee ^^;

Although it's probably noticed I'm just posted here in case it's not.
Aeryll
Summoner

Postby Vilx- » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:51 pm

Just noticed. Your post, that is. The issue is long fixed. XD Although I already know another two other issues:
  • the exclamation point on Drowtales front page doesn't disappear when you read the page;
  • A character can send an invite to a squad although the squad is already full (and the squad leader won't be able to accept).
Just in case you notice. :)
Vilx-
Summoner

Postby Exate » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:59 am

Curious bug I noticed on the squad shoutbox. When I look at the chat history, it shows the first log page correctly, but if I change to any other log page it will display the logs from the main Relic Hunters shoutbox, accessible to everyone. Changing back to the first log page after doing so will display the main shoutbox logs as well, rather than the squad logs. The net effect of this is that the squad's chat history is basically inaccessible.

Using Firefox 3.0.15 and Windows XP, if that makes a difference.
Exate
Demon

Postby Vilx- » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:52 pm

Ahh, thank you for noting that! I hadn't tested that past the first page. XD Will be fixed!
Vilx-
Summoner

Postby Miburo » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:19 am

Is it normal that we can only choose the item recovery mission (archive 1) to join? I don't mind to join there but with already 4 squads in the running it might get crowded
Miburo
Vel'akar

Clan: Vloz'ress

PreviousNext

Return to Relic Hunters