Archive of the pre-timeskip roleplays. If you wish to continue a pre-timeskip roleplay, you'll have to do so in the DT Freestyle subforum! PM Thalar to have a thread moved from this subforum to the Freestyle subforum.

(Newbies testing ground) School

(Newbies testing ground) School

Postby Kern » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:20 am

Greetings and welcome!
If you were told to come here from the registration thread, that must be because you lacked the proper knowledge to roleplay in the Drowtales world setting.
This thread will permit you to learn. Just announce yourself and an experienced player will teach you, train you. Anything goes here. You are but a faceless student. Be respectful though, or your teacher might smack you.

An exemple of what you should post:
"Hi, my name is Mark, i am a new player, and i wonder how to play in this FFRPG?"
You should get a reply fairly fast from someone. Once the teacher think you know enough, he or she she will told you and you'll be able to give a second try at the character registration.
Kern
Yan Gagne

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Xian » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:17 pm

Walking with gentle steps, a somewhat crotchety old man enters through the door, mumbling under his breath about the day's lessons. Casting a glare about the room, he settles his eyes on each individual student, turns slowly and writes "Drowtales FFRPG" on the board, then strikes a line underneath it for emphasis.

With a flourish, he brandishes the piece of chalk towards the assembled students and demands, with a somewhat crazed look in his sunken eyes, "Well!? Ask yer questions, or I'll start yapping at you!"
Xian
Demon

Postby Kite » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:51 pm

An unsightly looking nerd sitting in the front adjusts his glasses in the most geeky fashion.

"Sensei!" He speaks up, raising his hand. "Perhaps you should start with the basics of a complete character background!"
Kite
Mary Garren

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Xian » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:17 pm

"A complete character background, huh?" the old man says with a careful tap of the chalk against his chin. "Well, back when I was a boy-"

"Ah, sensei..." A young girl pipes up from the back of the room, waving her hand shyly through the air. "I think he means for the registration thread..."

"Oh!" The old man seems momentarily stunned, but regains his composure and clears his throat. "Yes, of course, I was getting to that. Harumph." Upon the board, he scratches out the word "Background" and underscores it, then returns his attention back to the class, affixing his beady eyes on the gathering of students.

"Well, if you're going to want to get yourself all registered and approved so that you can head off into the city and get yourself into all kinds of trouble, then you'll need to have decent history first." The crotchety old man assumes a very sombre posture and adds, "After all, what's a present without a past, right? I'm sure all you kids have got your memories."

"Now, this character background thingamajigger is going to be a summary of your entire life up to this point. Most of you kids've been alive just a few years, but even a few years of life can produce volumes of information, so there's no excuse for handing in two sentences to summarize all that time!" The old man wags a finger at the class in general, shaking his head. "If yer stuck for things to write, lemme give you a few helpful suggestions." With that, he returns his attention to the chalkboard and scrawls down a few pearls of wisdom in silence.

Background:
    - Who your family is/was.
    - Everything about growing up, like what kinds of friends you had, what your parents were like, any siblings you might have, where you were educated, if you were, important people in your life, etc.
    - Major occurances, like the disappearance of friends or siblings, or your own flight from a clan, anything that strongly affected you, and why.
    - Why you live where you do, why you do what you do, how you came to do it.
    - What you're currently up to; everyone has something going on in their life, even if that something is just passing the days lounging around in the Black Dragon tavern.
"Now," the old man barks suddenly, wheeling about and brandishing his chalk threateningly. "Don't you all go a-thinkin' that this list is all-inclusive! There's a whole buncha stuff you can write about that isn't here! And let's get one thing real straight-like." The old man places his hands slowly down on his desk and affixes the entire class with a piercing glare. "Describin' a battle ain't a background, it's a narrative," he says with emphasis. "An' nor is just describin' yer training. Everybody with a sword learned to swing it somewhere, but there's more to life than that!"

The old man straightens up again and dusts his hands off on one another. "A background should summarize who you are, not what you are. You can be a soldier or a warrior all you like, but it don't make you a person! You need to be convincing, else the character approval guy will think you're a zombie and never let you outta this school. You want to be stuck in this place for ever? Huh?" The old man sets his chalk down on the desk and offers a calm smile. "That's what I thought!"

After a few seconds of thought, the old man picks up the chalk and writes "P.L.O." next to the list. "I'll add more to this as I think of it," he says with a nod. "Check back every now and again!"
Xian
Demon

Postby Naur » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:28 pm

ok transfer my question on the sign up thread to here, is a demonic cat girl pet ok? (sorry, haven't been on here in forever and everything has moved around)
Naur
cute 'lil chibi

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Xian » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:36 pm

At this question, the old man's expression screws up a little in confusion. "Demonic cat girl pet?" He leans in and peers closely at Naur, looking perplexed. "Well, let me tell you a little something about demons, and Feral, who are the closest things to these 'cat girls' of yours. First off, Feral haven't got an aura, and that means they can't be tainted. Feral are kept as pets all the time by the higher-ups in drow society, but taintin' 'em ain't an option."

"Now, as for demonic cat girls who aren't Feral, the short answer is nope. A demon cat girl would likely be slain on the spot by any drow in the city, 'cause demons aren't really appreciated. Being demonic is different from being tainted, let me tell you."

"So, the short answer is no. You can be a cat girl all you want, but tainting or demonics or anything like that is out of the question."
Xian
Demon

Postby Naur » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:54 pm

Well I'll just be a feral pet to some character...........so who wants me!? *puts on an adorable feline face*
Naur
cute 'lil chibi

Postby Ravinous » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:00 pm

Hi, just a quick reference thing I would like to ask. When I start in the city of Chel'el'sussoloth, do you want me to use the thread of Kite created (The one with the information of the city on it) or do I create my own, this is just reference, since I have not really fully played this RP yet, and I was just curious (that way I make no mistakes before I begin).
Ravinous
Demon

Location: In the wonderful state of Nirvana... quite literally. >.>

Postby Xian » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:22 pm

"Eh? Oh, yes, right. Well, son, I think it would be best if you left the area creation up to Kite, being that she's in charge of the city. Send her a PM with the area you want, and anything you specifically require, and maybe she can draw it up for you, or give you permission to do it yourself. Chel'el'sussoloth is her city, so stuff like this should always go past her."

The old man nods once and folds his arms, getting chalk all over his shirt. He blinks, grumbles and attempts to wipe it off.
Xian
Demon

Postby Kite » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:27 pm

( I tried to roleplay the answer, but my head exploded.)

Ravinous:

I think it is perfectly fine to create new threads, though I would suggest having a friend or two to play with you before-hand. :) This is a FFRPG, after all. Unless Kern says otherwise, feel free to create your setting, just make sure you define what you intend to do with the thread (OOCly) in the first post so that people understand what it is for... and of course, that it falls under the general continuity of Drowtales.

Example:

((Anyone can join this thread, just PM me first so I can fit you in. It is a story about dwarven skirmishes happening along the trade routes.))

A good description of the setting and environment, and main characters that apply that can be approached by other characters.

Your character doing something to hook the players in. :)

However, I will go about creating the threads for the public places of interests in Chel'el'Sussoloth (that are listed under the reference thread). If there is any in particular that you would like me to post first, just PM me or Gelorn.

It will take a while to get the public threads all up, but personally I would like to see them up only if someone has a need for it at that time.

In fact, I'll add that little note to the Chel'el'sussoloth thread.

I'll see if Gelorn has anything to say about this in particular.
Kite
Mary Garren

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Ravinous » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:27 pm

"Alright" Gion says, bowing politely. "Will do."
Ravinous
Demon

Location: In the wonderful state of Nirvana... quite literally. >.>

Postby Naur » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:33 pm

uhm..........I would like to have one of the other RP'ers own my as their pet before I make my character profile where should I go to get "bought"
Naur
cute 'lil chibi

Postby Xian » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:40 pm

"Well, cat-pet-thingy, I would say that's your perogative, but I've got a couple of suggestions. Why, back a little while, before the Great Thread Purge, there was a thread known as the Slave Markets, where interested parties could go to buy slaves, and other parties, such as your cat girl, could go to be bought."

"Now, this isn't always the best way to do things, because the adventuresome types in this world rarely have time to keep tabs on a slave while they go around raising hell, so you could also try sending PMs around to people, asking them if they need or want one for their next character. After all, you can have one character per city. I'm sure someone'd be happy to accomodate a perfectly attractive... cat... thing." He offers Naur another puzzled look and shrugs his shoulders.
Xian
Demon

Postby Hecate » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:40 pm

Quiet girl in the back raises her hand silently. 'Sensei' Pauses then grimaces at the desk. 'What are the rules with half-drows and eye and hair colouring?'
Waits paiently for answer while pulling on her flame coloured braid.
Hecate
Summoner

Postby Xian » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:46 pm

The crotchety old man cranes his neck slightly to catch a glimpse of Hecate, then furrows his brow. "Half who-whats in the where now? Wait just a minute..." With that, he flings open the drawers to his desk and tosses papers left and right, making a rather thorough mess of the classroom. "Races, races, races..." he mumbles, until he finally comes up with a sheet of paper and a triumphant grin. "Ah ha!" He slaps the paper down on the desk and scans over it, his expression darkening.

"Half drow? Missy, I think you need to do your homework! Half-drow don't exist in this here world, or leastways, you can't be one. Go take a look at all the fancy worldsetting pages posted in the registration thread, and the races reference sheet."
Xian
Demon

Next

Return to Drowtales Roleplay Archive