Have Drowtales inspired stories and art? Share it here!

Food for thought - A dark and disturbing tale

Postby Pariah » Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:20 pm

Must go to school... will post the rest later! I promise!
Well, if you are looking for another dark, macabre tale of the underdarks endless dangers and deaths, you've read the right post. Any compliments shall be recceived with thankfulness, and a somewhat lesser direction of cold malevolence at the one who dispenses them. Being a Pariah, flames are of little effect against me. Nevertheless, all flamers shall be olbiterated by my main characters of doom. If you have read my other stories, Pariah and War Machine (which you haven't, I'm sure) you would know what I am talking about.  *evil*

On with the show!

The hooded figure raised the dark metal tankard to it's lips, keeping it there for a few moments, drinking noiselessly, before setting the simple cup back down with a muffled *clink* on the dark wooden table. Several of the other patrons glanced at the figure uneasily. A circle of empty tables surrounded it. They had seen it before, to be sure, at least the regulars. But something was somehow wrong. They recognised him from the odd design on his cloak as Dalk'kon, a slave of the priestess Mel'arnach. Yet today, she was not here. He had never shown up here alone before. Also, he did not usually have his hood up. Besides all this, he seemed nervous. He seemed worried.
        The tankard tapped down on the table again, this time the dark figures spindly fingered hands slowly releasing their deathgrip around the handle and coming to rest on the table, tapping rapidly as he waited for something. After a few moments, the the owner of the bar nudged her slave and told him forcefully to take the cloaked figures money. Unbenknownst to most of the patrons, she also handed him something and leaned close to whisper in his protruding drow ear;
        "Dalk'kon should not be here without mistress Mel. I do not want him leaving. Not yet. I'll the blame for aiding a runaway be thrown upon my head."
        The serving slave nodded and swallowed. He slowly crept over to Dalk'kons table, his shoulders slouched low. Dalk'kon turned to face the slave, his red eyes straight through the shaken drow.
        The slave swallowed again. "That shall be, er... 3 adamantium, sir."
        Dalk'kon nodded slowly, dropping the three metal coins on the table wordlessly. He stood up and turned his back to the slave, taking a step towards the door.
        Seeing his mistresses angry glare, the slave licked his dry lips and spoke quickly. "Erm, you should not leave at this moment, Dalk'kon. My mistress..."
        Dalk'kon ignored him, moving towards the door. The slave swallowed again, then took a step forward, speaking again. "Dalk'kon, perhaps I was not clear... you shall not be allowed to leave at this moment."
        Dalk'kon only half heard the slave, so deep in thought was he. He continued striding towards the door, sidestepping the haphazard tables and misplaced chairs.
        The slave bit his lower lip, reluctant to make his next move. When he saw his mistress staring at him with a gaze with tenfold the venom of Dalk'kons, he knew what she wished him to do. He drew the dagger from his sleve, stepping towards Dalk'kon with surprising nimbleness, preparing to strike with deadly accuracy.
         Dalk'kons hand shot out, wrapping his fingers around the attackers wrist, stopping the dagger. He stared into the attacking slaves eyes, and concentrated intently for a moment.
         The slave dropped to the floor, the dagger clattering across the black stone. His eyes were glassy, and he barely breathed as he lay there, comatose. Dalk'kon stared into the red eyes of the woman who had bid the slave attack him. She gasped slightly. He spoke, dropping the hood from his head.
        "I have no time for your antics, Shell'yena. I assure you, Mel'arn'ach is still my mistress. She must attend to other pressing matters, and I am here with her full permission." With that, Dalk'kon stepped out the door, his mind once again becoming submerged in the nervous thoughts.  
Stepping into the darkly lit, incense filled chamber, Dalk'kon looked around cautiously. He saw the modest altar to the Spider Queen in the corner, bits of incense smoldering and sending tiny ribbons of smoke into the air. He inhaled their sweet scent, turning his gaze to the bright red tapestry on the northern wall of the small room. He heard the barely perceptible noise of shifting silk behind him, and for a moment his insticts nearly kicked in and sent him to alertness-mode. However, he knew instantly who it was, and allowed himself a small smile, standing where he was. He pretended not to hear, even though his hearing was good enough to hear the wingbeats of a fly at nearly five paces. He felt a hot breath on one of his protruding ears, and then a nibble on its silky hair. He sighed happily and turned to face the young Mel'Arnach. She was still dressed in her priestess robes, revealing almost all of her shapely figure. She was still young and optimistic, a bright and wonderful gleam in her eyes. A smill crossed her face as well.
"I thought you would never come..." said Mel in her most sultry tone. "I have missed you dearly, my dear Dalk'kon..." she said as she moved closer to him, only about a foot away.
Dalk'kon sighed and smiled, but then the smile faded from his face and he inclined his head forward slightly. "Mel... I am afraid I bring bad news. You are aware of your gladatorial slave, the dwarf Vladden?"
Mel's ears sank down lower, as did her face, indicating the deflation of her mood. "Please, Dalk'kon, I do not wish to speak of this right now... There will be time for that later. For now, why don't we   just..."
Dalk'kon shook his head slowly. "I am afraid it is somewhat urgent. When going back over the body myself I found this on it..." Dalk'kon reached into one of the pockets of his vest and pulled something out of it. He opened his palm and showed it to Mel. It was an odd ring made of some whitish-grey metal, a simple band without a stone or any insets. It did, however, have a small series of squiggly lines running all across its surface. "I have never seen one of these of a drow before."
Mel nodded solemnly, realizing reluctantly that this was indeed important, and needed to be brought to her attention. Still though... as vital as this peice of evidence was, she somehow wished Dalk'kon had never had found it. "Yes... perhaps with some sort of divination spell I could determine the origins of it... I will see what I can do."
Dalk'kon nodded his understanding, going to sit on the opposite side of the small room, closing his eyes as he waited. Giving a small sigh of frustration as she watched him do so, Mel took the ring tightly in her hand, closed her eyes, and began to concentrate, invoking a small prayer as she did so. Rather than fading away, the short psalm seemed to echo and resonate throughout the stone walls of the room. She knew the images would be coming to her soon... and just by looking at the ring, she could tell they would not be pleasant.
All of a sudden, images came to Mel's mind in a flash, eveloping her in a tide of blackness and color all mixed together, past and present blurring into one. She recoiled slightly and struggled to remember the half seen images and distant visions. Thinking hard, she saw... a cave. Not an unusual thing in the underdark, but this one was full of... bones. Again, not an unusual thing, but these were drow bones, bones of drow not killed by other drow. The underdark was a hostile place, to be sure, but still... something felt so wrong about it. She focused on remebering the tangled web of tunnels that led to the mysterious cave, knowing the way there.
Opening her eyes and sighing again, she walked over to Dalk'kon, and awoke him from his trance. "Did you find out where it was?" Dalk'kon asked, his voice full of concern. Mel nodded slowly.
"Well then, I suppose it must be investigated, hmm?" Dalk'kon proposed.
Mel nodded her head again, with purpose this time. "Yes, I shall send out a group of slaves to investigate it. If they find anything, we shall soon know about it.
Man is NOT a social animal.
Pariah
Nether Spawn

Postby Kern » Tue Sep 17, 2002 4:41 pm

Mel get most of the fanfic, guess she popular.
*Mel frown and turn away*
But i think she disaprove the fact to be match with a 2 legged male  :D .
but..is he a drow? , since you haven't given much detail about him....

*wait for the part of the story*
i have a critizism though. the place. I'm kind of confused where it take place. at first i thought it was a tavern, then maybe a personal house of Mel but i'm not sure. For sure a tavern don't have an altar of Arachne ...
Kern
Yan Gagne

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Ultharos » Tue Sep 17, 2002 5:39 pm

COO!!! Great to see another writer joining the fray, may you write many a pieces!  :D

Hmm interesting. I am still uncertain what the hero is, but I am certain this will be revealed in due time.

Mel in a relationship with a man? Now there's a unusual twist, very daring of you, I must admit.  ;)
I for one look forward to finding out what is happening.

There were a few typo's, but nothing that I considered distracting.

Mel and a male in a relationship, I say again, you are indeed very brave.  *beer*

COO!!! *Waits for the next part.*
Behold the eternal glory of the Fountain Dragon and let his radiance blind you into submission, oh ye of little faith.
~From the book of the FD.
Chapter 1: Deitification of the FD.
Ultharos
Vel'akar

Postby Pariah » Tue Sep 17, 2002 8:47 pm

Ahhh, yes he is indeed a drow, and I do suppose I need to clear up the part with him in the room, I intended to imply he had left the tavern and traveled to Mel's home.

About Mel being in a relationship with a two legged male, yes, that is strange, isn't it? Well, if you'll read carefully, you will notice I said a YOUNG Mel'arnach. Still wearing her priestess robes, young and naieve. I reveal later in the story that this in fact takes place quite a while before the main drowtales story, being a prolouge of sorts. I am working on the second part of it as we speak, and should be able to post it by tommorow at the very latest.
Pariah
Nether Spawn

Postby Kern » Tue Sep 17, 2002 8:58 pm

Hm, i thought lesbians were lesbian theirs whole life  :p
and Mel trauma occured when she was Ariel age XD.
but anyway, it just a fanfic.  *beer* doesn't matter if it not accurate.
Kern
Yan Gagne

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Pariah » Fri Oct 11, 2002 5:09 am

*sweatdrop* OMG, I cannot beleive I just FORGOT this fanfic. Also, I have made so many mistakes (which I now realize upon re-reading the story) that I am just going to let this one drop. Hopefully I have learned from my mistakes, and my next fanfic (which I will do soon, hopefully *write* ) will be much better.

-Humbly apologising for the aforementioned obliteration of your grey matter's cellular components, Pariah.

*edit* By the way, I have learned another important lesson. Stay bloody well clear of canon characters! *sweatdrop* I, for one, try to make my stories fit with the canon, and using main characters in it makes that task all the more difficult.
Pariah
Nether Spawn

Return to Fanfics and Fanart