A forum dedicated to talking about the latest games and game systems! Share your thoughts on and opinions on up coming games or old classics!

Splatoon (WiiU)

Splatoon (WiiU)

Postby Pitdragon » Fri May 29, 2015 8:14 am

Man, there were dudes in Japan already at level 15 when the US finally was let in (Midnight EST). That was dinner time for me, so I was making a roast and roasting some squids. Been enjoyable so far, I'm all about that paint roller. And my hipster glasses of faster respawn.
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Jaal'darya

Re: Splatoon (WiiU)

Postby IkaikaKekai » Fri May 29, 2015 6:27 pm

I've been a bit curious about this game, but not about to go out and buy a WiiU for it.
IkaikaKekai
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Pitdragon » Fri May 29, 2015 10:25 pm

I'm big on objective games with PvP, like old school Capture the Flag and King of the Hill modes in most games. Though I'm seeing a similar patter I'd see in Warsong Gulch in WoW - people joining just to get as many kills as possible. Or course, that isn't the point and you get a much bigger bonus for winning the objective. And the funniest thing - the people focused on kills are easier to kill themselves, while the guys that are tight with gaining the lead on covering the map are also really good at taking you out.

And while I thought using the Gamepad for Y-axis would be annoying, it seems to be better. Putting both Y and X on the R-stick makes for really touchy control issues, and with the Y button to recenter the camera whenever it works out a little better.
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Postby nerdycanuck » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:07 am

Pitdragon wrote:Man, there were dudes in Japan already at level 15 when the US finally was let in (Midnight EST). That was dinner time for me, so I was making a roast and roasting some squids. Been enjoyable so far, I'm all about that paint roller. And my hipster glasses of faster respawn.

I'm looking to pick the game up in a few months, when the rest of the content is released for it.
nerdycanuck
Demon

Postby Pitdragon » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:10 am

nerdycanuck wrote:
Pitdragon wrote:Man, there were dudes in Japan already at level 15 when the US finally was let in (Midnight EST). That was dinner time for me, so I was making a roast and roasting some squids. Been enjoyable so far, I'm all about that paint roller. And my hipster glasses of faster respawn.

I'm looking to pick the game up in a few months, when the rest of the content is released for it.

Don't mind the slow trickle myself.

Also, to address the biggest fuss I've seen, voice chat is unnecessary. Matches aren't long enough, maps are fairly straightforward, and if you have any situational awareness you can sync up with team members pretty easily - I find the one-minute-warning its a miracle worker in itself for getting people to suddenly focus, defend their rollers and use their specials smartly. Even if you're stuck with a team that runs around like fools trying to kill people instead of capturing the map, and failing at that too as again I think focusing on the objective actually increases the chances for you splatting someone (and people interested in objectives I do notice have more skill in doing both), the match isn't long enough for you to care - you take your pity points, hope the next matchmaking better suits you. A guy that was your enemy last game is now on your team, next game it could go either way unless one of you drop out of the queue to switch weapons or do something else. Balance in matchmaking has gotten better with more people getting in the game, but my late hours do sync me up with those high-level Japanese and Aussie gamers a lot. Also it's nice not to listen to children and adults-acting-like-children curse like they just learned how instead of playing the game.

Haven't tried Ranked yet - it just unlocked across the board and I'm on a work shift. Guess it's Puzzles and Dragons for me on breaks. And peeking at the online version of Miiverse to see what doodles people have come up with (really fun to see those as graffiti in game).
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Postby nerdycanuck » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:54 pm

I never care if a game includes voice chat or not. I don't like talking to strangers using voice chat, and if I'm playing with friends we will just be using Skype. I suspect that's the case for most folks besides the ones complaining about voice chat.

I'm looking forward to picking the game up later this summer. I've got a bit of a backlog to get through before I can justify picking up another game right now, so it's just as well that more content is coming to Splatoon later on.
nerdycanuck
Demon

Return to Game hub