A forum dedicated to talking about the latest games and game systems! Share your thoughts on and opinions on up coming games or old classics!

Neverwinter MMO (open Beta)

Neverwinter MMO (open Beta)

Postby Strossus » Sat May 11, 2013 11:20 am

http://nw.perfectworld.com/

While signing up I couldn't use any of my usual names as they were in use..
Which I find odd since they are mostly gibberish but oh well..
Anyway the point I was making was I had to go with NetherBuddy as the user. XD

Still installing and patching at the moment but I'll see how it goes.
Strossus
Demon

Clan: Vloz'ress

Re: Neverwinter MMO (open Beta)

Postby Whizzard » Sat May 11, 2013 3:20 pm

I've been trying to force myself to play it but without any success so far. It has little charm initially that would immediately suck you into the world... at least for me.

But it's amazing how amazing ugly but realistic character you can create. I made an aging mage with unshaven stubble, beautiful set of tattoos and a recent cut over his right eye that's left eye injured but not blind. And he looks so great.

Here, you can also see how long the ques intially were! (it's a bug actually)

You can tell he was handsome in his youth!
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Strossus » Sun May 12, 2013 5:43 am

Played til I hit level 7 on a Tiefling Guardian Fighter (or whatever it is called).
Then entire time I felt like I was playing with the illegitimate offspring of WoW and STO.
Not that it was bad, just that I'm not sure what was good about it.
It is marketed as a D&D MMO for D&D fans by D&D fans..
But other than world setting it doesn't really have anything to do with D&D.

The available classes and races make "viable" builds (read 'power gamer, min/max'er) rather limited.
It promises more is on the way, and as a beta it is work in progress.
But the pay to win features seem to already be in place.
Or at least the gold spammers are already glutting the open chats.

A lot of times while playing the shield fighter I had the option to block, but it was generally more effective to take the hit, chug potions as needed, and keep fighting.

It is a lot easier to get into than The Secret World was, though.
Also generally more enjoyable and better looking.
Strossus
Demon

Postby Strossus » Sun May 12, 2013 9:45 pm

In fairness it is decent game play, and an no point did you feel like you were slogging through a grind.
If anything you sometimes feel like you could have spent a little more time in some of the areas that the intro quests sweep you through in a hurry.
The plot based cut-scenes are pretty good.
It is an easy to pick up and fun game, just not anything you haven't seen before from somewhere else.
If you were expecting stat and skill sheets like one had in any other D&D based PC game, you'll be disappointed to find perk lines that are painfully similar to those in WoW.
Strossus
Demon

Postby Whizzard » Tue May 14, 2013 12:10 pm

Now that I've reached level 16, I've got to say, the intro sections don't do the game any justice.

I've gotten into a roll where combat is fun, story is well built (i even bother to read through the lore you can gather from the world and some of it is quite interesting) and the additional game modes like skirmishes and pvp is fun.

I love the control wizard class, I initially thought the frost beam to be useless thing but it helps to control the bosses quite well and additional abilities allow you to dice out enough damage to become a top dog in multiplayer battle even if your team is losing bad. I faced a great weapons fighter and cleric alone and managed to kill the fighter before my inevitable demise even though the cleric was doing everything to heal the bastard. It could imply that control wizard needs to be balanced out further but perhaps it just means I'm just good with it, because no other CW did nearly as good as me.

I also thought the robes i picked up all looked the same but then i started to notice: the robes were picking up new parts as I got better ones. It's neat idea actually, as your robes get better looking over time, instead of having drastical changed where you have a great looking robes and when you get better ones stats wise, they visually suck. But then again I like sudden drastic changes more than slow gradual one's. But we'll see, now that I've noticed it, perhaps I'll start to like it too. Better than GW2 where you have identical looking armors for 10 levels. And some weapons look identical to level 1 weapon even at max level. Ugh.
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Strossus » Thu May 16, 2013 5:19 am

From what I've read in-game CW is the highest sought for raids and least actively played.
Though I've seen tons of them teleporting around town so I dunno.
I'm used to casters being the most powerful endgame class and had assumed that everyone would be playing that when I made a defensive fighter.
I suppose I'll have to make a CW with my other free slot at some point.
You make it sound like a skill rewarding class so it peaks my interest.
Smash stuff and quaff potion is far from skill rewarding.
Strossus
Demon

Postby Whizzard » Fri May 17, 2013 12:15 pm

You quaff potions as CW as well (that is, until you get the cleric companion), but you have the magnificent ability to teleport allowing you troll bosses and other players around forever. :P

Okay, not forever but combined with control abilities that slow down and outright stop enemies, you are pretty untouchable. If you took away the teleportation, CW would be pretty screwed class. Because while casting they can't move at all. And they are casting 90% of times.

In that example where I fought both GWF and cleric, if both had attacked me at the same time, I'd propbably wouldn't had killed either. But since cleric concentrated on healing, I managed to take down the GWF before dieing.
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Dalvyserran » Sat May 18, 2013 9:30 pm

my handle is damage plan@dukeofyorke, there's a fair amount of us playing on mindflayer
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Strossus » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:50 am

I had to spend awhile offline, and my time is a bit stretched with all the different games I'm playing currently. xD
I think part of the reason I spent more time quaffing than blocking is the Tiefling passive power drain proc..

Oh, is there a voice chat server for the lot of us?
Strossus
Demon

Return to Game hub