A forum dedicated to talking about the latest games and game systems! Share your thoughts on and opinions on up coming games or old classics!

Minecraft Users

Re: Minecraft Users

Postby vernes » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:24 pm

There are terrain generators that allow themselves to be configuration.
One of those settings allow you to set the surface to be on thesame height of the world-ceiling.

Another mod allows you to transport players if they exceed a certain height/depth to another world (like the nether)
So you can make a world completely underground, but still allow players to reach the surface.

tekkit and ftb are combinations of many mods.
One of them contains the concept of invisible aura nodes that generate vis that can be used for magic.
When you dump unused magic (essence) back into the atmosphere it becomes flux.
Flux is slowly digested by some trees or by certain nodes.
Get too much flux, you get weird stuff happening.

And then there is taint, taint messes up everthing.

I wonder howmuch needs to be changed to remake it into a drowtales theme.
vernes
Summoner

Postby Nemiisae » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:32 pm

speaking from experience in the field of subterranean building (example here of an Underdark project I had a while back -> http://imgur.com/a/IIaEG ) , it's not really an issue to hollow out a cavespace (mind you, depending on if you want a surface realm directly above the underdark can be a trick - mostly the lag and the height limits can be a smidgen of an issue) it's just a matter of knowing what you want and how you want it done :P

I can most definately say that Voxel is the single most useful tool I've found for large scale environmental alterations, what could take you weeks by hand takes about 10 minutes with voxel brushes; though for the finer details, nothing beats a handmade product, right?. It's probably also worth, if considered doing it - having a worldpainter map, mostly so you can manually alter the levels of things (where the surface starts, if you want a surface at all ect), could even go for a full height map of just stone and hollow the inside space as you see fit for the many layers of the underdark! Then again, you also have a lot of limitation with the very select materials readily useable in minecraft without the use of mods - flora and fauna, materials to build from etc, and until the API comes out (probably never will T_T) you're sort of cut off at the knees about the capability of customization of a multiplayer environment. Single player would be a lot easier, but where's the fun in that!?

*rubs chin thoughtfully* all these ideas really get my fingers itching to make it all xD
Nemiisae
Nether Seed

Postby vernes » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:49 am

Nemiisae wrote:*rubs chin thoughtfully* all these ideas really get my fingers itching to make it all xD

Do you know Java?

And about your pictures, is that the penny-arcade underdark minecraft server?

And I am kinda stuck on the idea of using a terrain generator instead of editing.
That way you can expand the world on demand, simply by moving the border (another mod) a bit further.
vernes
Summoner

Postby Nemiisae » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:20 pm

vernes wrote:
Nemiisae wrote:*rubs chin thoughtfully* all these ideas really get my fingers itching to make it all xD

Do you know Java?

And about your pictures, is that the penny-arcade underdark minecraft server?

And I am kinda stuck on the idea of using a terrain generator instead of editing.
That way you can expand the world on demand, simply by moving the border (another mod) a bit further.

No I'm pretty poor in the department of java knowledge, I've just fortunate to know people that do know a lot!

As for the images, nah they are from a project I created about a year ago for a large rp server, lord of the craft. Which sadly lost the map in a hacking incident near the end of 2012.

I reckon were the project for a server here to spark up, I could only suggest having a world custom made simply so you aren't wasting timechanging the surface height by hand, though again it sits on what you'd want out of it :)
Nemiisae
Nether Seed

Postby vernes » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:11 pm

Nemiisae wrote:...I could only suggest having a world custom made simply so you aren't wasting timechanging the surface height by hand, though again it sits on what you'd want out of it :)

I think that's where you misunderstood me.
Using a terrain-generator mod would avoid changing the surface height by hand.
You change the behaviour of the default terrain generator, and whenever a new chunk is generated, instead of hills and surface on level 64, everything will be below grounds, and caverns are generated.
No manual labour required.

So should you allow player to wander the endlessness of your world, they would forever remain underground because the freshly baked terrain would always be sub-terrain.

Add a border mod to prevent players to wander off too far (and make your server generate TB of data for new terrain chunks), and you're done.
vernes
Summoner

Postby Tsuris » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:30 pm

Alright I finally caved in and got Minecraft and now I can't stop playing

I HAD SHIT TO DO THIS WEEK!

I hope you are happy *upset*
Tsuris
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby vernes » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:15 pm

Tsuris wrote:Alright I finally caved in and got Minecraft and now I can't stop playing

I HAD SHIT TO DO THIS WEEK!

I hope you are happy *upset*

Come, we shall create a blocky imitation of this shit you had to do.
And if this deemed too difficult to imitate with enough detail, we shall install many mods to add more detail.

Like the feed the east mod-pack.
Or Tekkit.
Or the Mine Little Pony Mod.
Or many, many, more.
vernes
Summoner

Postby Whizzard » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:13 pm

Well, talking about Drowtales MC servers, there actually excists ONE that needs more love. It's unofficial Path to Power server but it's not themed or anything, just to have fun together. But I'm sure people would come around to have underworld reboot if such a thing was possible. I'm quite sure it's possible to create a world seed that has higher surface with more and bigger caves. I once managed to create a seed that filled the world with deep rifts. It was awesome though slowed down travelling because you really needed to watch where you stepped. ;P
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby vernes » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:24 pm

Whizzard wrote:I'm quite sure it's possible to create a world seed that has higher surface with more and bigger caves.
Nope, the fundamental behaviour of the default terrain generator, is to regard level 64 as the surface and fluctuate around this level.

You will need a server mod that changes the behaviour of the terrain generator...

...and these exist.
vernes
Summoner

Postby Yu Rei » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:29 am

After a long time, I FINALLY got Minecraft on my PC. I don't have any mods, (shaky enough as it is) but I'm loving every minute of it.

I haven't tried my hand at making an underground city yet, but sweet Sharess there's so much you can do already.

*toddles off to play some more.*
Yu Rei
Tainted

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby vernes » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:30 pm

*somewhere far away, you can hear evil laughter*
vernes
Summoner

Postby Yu Rei » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:55 pm

Oh! My username is DigitalCoffee08 for anyone who's interested. I've been busy playing with the horsies. *wee*
Yu Rei
Tainted

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby vernes » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:21 am

Yu Rei wrote:Oh! My username is DigitalCoffee08 for anyone who's interested. I've been busy playing with the horsies. *wee*

Mine is vernes, but only useful if we play on thesame server.
vernes
Summoner

Postby Niwa » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:56 am

if you can get it to work generating a superflat world and a cavern generator mod could work. I know when I went looking for mods to generate decent underground I had a lot of trouble finding anything. There was a cavern mod that generated decent caverns but they were few and far between. (oh and it broke with any other mods >.>)

There might be a decent one floating around but I couldn't see any. But I haven't checked in a fair while (moved on to spaaaaace) so I dunno
:s
Niwa
Nether Seed

Postby vernes » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:46 am

starmade right?
vernes
Summoner

PreviousNext

Return to Game hub