Bug report, subscription issue, site downtime, general mayhem reports goes here.

Cannot access main site

Cannot access main site

Postby AthenAltena » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:40 pm

Since about mid Saturday every time I try to get on the site it times out and I get ERR_CONNECTION_RESET as a message in Chrome, and when I type "tracert drowtales.com" into the command prompt I get up to 21 hops before it times out. Curiously I can get the site on my phone going off the 3G network and apparently I'm not the only having this problem. I already tried resetting all my cookies.
Last edited by AthenAltena on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
AthenAltena
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Re: Cannot access main site

Postby AthenAltena » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:49 pm

Leopardwerecat is having the same issue:
I ran Command prompt and it seems to take a long time on certain hops (especially when it reaches a major point like Paris and Washington) but it does eventually reach the site after 21 hops out of a maximum of 30. It still times out when I try to access via any computer though. (haven't tried my phone yet)

Also for the record I cannot reset my router since it's actually owned by the landlord, though I did shoot him an email asking him to reset it.
AthenAltena
Dragon of the Nether

Postby AthenAltena » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:06 am

Well that's interesting, I tried using Anonymizer and I got on without issue. So it may be an ISP problem.
AthenAltena
Dragon of the Nether

Postby H'K'Maly » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:10 am

AthenAltena wrote:Since about mid Saturday every time I try to get on the site it times out and I get ERR_CONNECTION_RESET as a message in Chrome, and when I type "tracert drowtales.com" into the command prompt I get up to 21 hops before it times out. Curiously I can get the site on my phone going off the 3G network and apparently I'm not the only having this problem. I already tried resetting all my cookies.

You should also say where are you, or better post the traceroute (names of hops between you and drowtales.com). Also, if you are able to get traceroute also on your phone, compare those two paths.

And just to be sure, what IP address are you trying? For me, http://www.drowtales.com translate to 68.67.74.44, 68.67.74.45 and 68.67.74.46.

AthenAltena wrote:Well that's interesting, I tried using Anonymizer and I got on without issue. So it may be an ISP problem.

Considering that not everyone is affected, it's completely logical.
H'K'Maly
Vel'akar

Postby AthenAltena » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:13 am

H'K'Maly wrote:And just to be sure, what IP address are you trying? For me, http://www.drowtales.com translate to 68.67.74.44, 68.67.74.45 and 68.67.74.46.

That's what I get, so that at least is consistent.

I'm in Massachusetts currently. I don't know for certain which ISP we're on but I've emailed the landlord to ask.

When I check the traceroute it seems to hit a snag around Atlanta and not go further.

I also installed the Tor browser and that gets me on without issue, so it's a temporary fix at least. I'd suggest Leopardwerecat try the same.

ETA: It's Comcast, so if Leopardwerecat is using that too we have our culprit. This also explains an issue I've had with a state website on my end that does the same thing and just loops, which I just assumed was the website being a piece of crap since it notoriously has issues, but seems I can't blame them for this.

ETA 2: Well then, all the sudden I can get on using my regular browser without a proxy with no issues. Leopardwerecat, I'd suggest you try again as well.

ETA 3: It's flipping between letting me on and not not, but at least I have a workaround if it goes down again.
AthenAltena
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Leopardwerecat » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:48 am

AthenAltena wrote:
H'K'Maly wrote:And just to be sure, what IP address are you trying? For me, http://www.drowtales.com translate to 68.67.74.44, 68.67.74.45 and 68.67.74.46.

That's what I get, so that at least is consistent.

I'm in Massachusetts currently. I don't know for certain which ISP we're on but I've emailed the landlord to ask.

When I check the traceroute it seems to hit a snag around Atlanta and not go further.

I also installed the Tor browser and that gets me on without issue, so it's a temporary fix at least. I'd suggest Leopardwerecat try the same.

ETA: It's Comcast, so if Leopardwerecat is using that too we have our culprit. This also explains an issue I've had with a state website on my end that does the same thing and just loops, which I just assumed was the website being a piece of crap since it notoriously has issues, but seems I can't blame them for this.

ETA 2: Well then, all the sudden I can get on using my regular browser without a proxy with no issues. Leopardwerecat, I'd suggest you try again as well.

ETA 3: It's flipping between letting me on and not not, but at least I have a workaround if it goes down again.

I tried refreshing and I got the main page to load but it took insanely long, I'll be getting Tor just in case.

I'm in France and my ISP is Orange, but looking at the cmd hops it doesn't look like it went through any Comcast connections (maybe when it hopped through Washington which took a while, but it also got stuck at several Francetelecom connections so I'm thinking it's Francetelecom being its usual shitty self that caused the timeouts)
Leopardwerecat
Demon

Location: Patiently waiting for the war to end at the Jaal'darya Citadel.
Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Solon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:58 am

I've been having issues since around the same time. Main thing is pages deciding not to load, or in the case of the main page, it deciding not to load images.
Solon
Nether Spawn

Postby Vilx- » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:45 am

Sounds like ISP issues to me. The main page that seems to load without images might be a cached version. Try refreshing - maybe it won't load at al. XD

Anyways, any improvements? The site works for me, and has not had any issues of late.
Vilx-
Summoner

Clan: Valley'gurl

Postby Leopardwerecat » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:55 am

Vilx- wrote:Sounds like ISP issues to me. The main page that seems to load without images might be a cached version. Try refreshing - maybe it won't load at al. XD

Anyways, any improvements? The site works for me, and has not had any issues of late.

I'm getting the same problem again, different ISP (I'm at my flat in another city) and a different computer. I'll try getting Tor again to see if that works.
Leopardwerecat
Demon

Location: Patiently waiting for the war to end at the Jaal'darya Citadel.

Postby Vilx- » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:23 am

Found it!

In our current setup there are 3 webservers for load-balancing (this sometimes varies). When you type http://www.drowtales.com you get one on random, but it sticks around until you reboot your PC, I think (not quite sure). Anyways, you always get the same one.

And now www2 seems to be down. :)

I'll notify Martin. In the meantime, try the URL removed or removed. That gets you directly to one of the other remaining webservers. But you shouldn't stick to it for long, because it pretty much defeats the whole load-balancing idea. :)
Last edited by Vilx- on Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vilx-
Summoner

Clan: Valley'gurl

Postby AthenAltena » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:53 pm

Vilx- wrote:Found it!

In our current setup there are 3 webservers for load-balancing (this sometimes varies). When you type http://www.drowtales.com you get one on random, but it sticks around until you reboot your PC, I think (not quite sure). Anyways, you always get the same one.

I'll notify Martin. In the meantime, try the URL http://www1.drowtales.com or http://www3.drowtales.com. That gets you directly to one of the other remaining webservers. But you shouldn't stick to it for long, because it pretty much defeats the whole load-balancing idea. :)

Awesome!
AthenAltena
Dragon of the Nether

Postby mmathews » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:50 pm

www2 has indeed suffered a hardware failure and we have taken it out of rotation for now. Please start using www.drowtales.com again so that we can spread the load around.

Looks like it's time to look at upgrading some hardware.
mmathews
Overload of the Interwebs

Postby H'K'Maly » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:14 am

Vilx- wrote:Found it!

I'll notify Martin. In the meantime, try the URL http://www1.drowtales.com or http://www3.drowtales.com. That gets you directly to one of the other remaining webservers. But you shouldn't stick to it for long, because it pretty much defeats the whole load-balancing idea. :)

Did you considered heartbeat?
H'K'Maly
Vel'akar

Postby mmathews » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:36 am

Yes, but these servers are old and the less that we run on them the better.
mmathews
Overload of the Interwebs

Postby Dalvyserran » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:37 am

Maybe it's just me, but I'm once again having issues accessing the main website, daydream, RH, the wordpress news page and PTP. This only happens on my PC, but not my mobile device...
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Next

Return to technical support