Bug report, subscription issue, site downtime, general mayhem reports goes here.

some feedback on the new PtP

some feedback on the new PtP

Postby Finn MacCool » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:45 am

some things i've noticed*:
1. both the "about" and the "wiki" link lead to the DT wiki. i suggest renaming the former "DT wiki" and making the latter lead to the PtP wiki.
2. since the game can be played for free, it'd probably be best to rename the "join" link that leads to the subscription page.
3. in the character panel, "profession" is written in bigger font than the other attributes.
4. the profession name "golem engineer" doesn't fit into the character panel. this might also be the case with some other profession names.
5. in the character details window, the eye colour and the hair colour are put into little boxes of corresponding colour. this makes them look editable and should be reconsidered, i think.

*i know that we're supposed to start an extra thread for each bug, but this is all minor stuff and in some cases just a matter of taste.
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Re: some feedback on the new PtP

Postby Vilx- » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:13 am

1. Known. Will be fixed.
  2. Will consider, I see your point.
  3. By design. But I too think it looks odd, so might change that.
  4. Point taken.
  5. Hmm, OK. I see your point. Will think about it.

All in all, these are all design tweaks, and the design polish will come later, as stated in the blog post. That's another big task that will involve me working closely together with either Kern or Starlitdragon. Currently I'm focusing on the functionality, and less on the looks. This is beneficial for me, because this I can do it alone (and thus faster); and this will be beneficial for the artists, because in the end they will have a full scene to work with and improve upon (instead of guessing what will actually appear where).
Vilx-
Summoner

Clan: Valley'gurl

Postby Finn MacCool » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:39 pm

i just noticed something else:
when you click on a family/job in the member list, you get a blank character details window. unless that one is a placeholder for family/job details, the click should expand the list of members in the family/job group, i think.

also, what formats/dimensions are allowed for the avatars? the one i tried to upload (png, 287x369) was probably too big and led to this error message:
"Error saving avatar image!"
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Postby Vilx- » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:07 pm

The empty windows - oops, right. I knew about that, I just forgot to write about it. *blush* They will be filled with the family/job description when I make them.

The avatar problem should be fixed now. I forgot to set the permissions for the avatar upload folder. *blush* As for the formats - anything sensible will do, in general.

If you wish the exact details then: JPEG, PNG or GIF (without animation). The avatar will be automatically resized to fit in the 200x200px box. The server also has a global limit for maximum file upload size - 8MB. There should be sensible error messages if you don't meet these criteria (though you're welcome to test that).
Vilx-
Summoner

Postby Finn MacCool » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:23 am

adding to the things from the first post (of which none has changed):
1. when logged in, clicking on "login" will log you out - that's a little surprising.
2. some player names don't fit into the member list (at the moment, these are "Ayu'mu Sekai Tai'kaliath", "Durlyn Karandras Teikaliath" and "Ketrilla Amakiir TeiKaliath" when the list is sorted by name and several more when it is sorted by family or job)
3. i hope that "game issues? contact Thalar" and the other 2 contact tips at the bottom of the page are going to link somewhere helpful when the page is done.
4. on that note: i don't know if it's worth mentioning, but the buttons "settings", "advise the queen" and "submit project" don't do anything, not even trigger a dummy action.
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Postby Vilx- » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:36 pm

Thanks! :) The links will all be fixed as much as possible. I'll consider the word-wrap in the players list, but I remember that there was some problem with it, so I can't promise anything. Anyways, most of the name is visible, and you can always get it full in the popup, so it's not that bad. I can also give an update about the eye/hair color-boxes in the popups (original post). We discussed this and decided that it's best as it is now, so it won't be changed. Sorry. :P
Vilx-
Summoner

Postby Finn MacCool » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:19 pm

Vilx- wrote:I'll consider the word-wrap in the players list, but I remember that there was some problem with it, so I can't promise anything.

making the list wider and/or setting a (lower) character limit for the names would also work.
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Postby Vilx- » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:06 am

True, but both options have drawbacks. Making the list wider requires to redraw the page graphics; and the limits would be difficult to implement. That is, I can easily limit the number of characters, but not all of the characters are of the same width. I'd have to consider the worst-case scenario, which is (I think) all M's. Though maybe there is some weird character that is wider. Consequently the limits would be quite annoyingly small for "normal" character names. On the other hand, limiting the actual width of the character name is even more difficult, because that involves very complicated calculations that are dependant on the specific font. And in any case - what am I to do with the existing names?

All in all, IMHO word-wrap is the only sane solution to this problem.
Vilx-
Summoner

Return to technical support