Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki

Do members of subhouses have free access to Orthobbae?

Do members of subhouses have free access to Orthobbae?

Postby Doom Chinchilla » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:48 pm

What it says on the tin...

We know vals can study at Orthobbae for free, but, what about member of subhouses like Sar'nel? Do they have to pay?
Doom Chinchilla
Dragon of the Nether

Location: Aboard the Bird-Of-The-River, sailing the Yann to Bethmoora
Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Re: Do members of subhouses have free access to Orthobbae?

Postby Dalvyserran » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:05 pm

I've always assumed that Orthor was a space free of overt clan dealings, so everyone has to pay for schooling, everyone has to learn how to live on their own means, etc...
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Doom Chinchilla » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:39 pm

I thought it was free for vals (and the ruling families of minor clans) to study there. I think An'jalhi Tei'kailath didn't have to pay to study there, did she?
Doom Chinchilla
Dragon of the Nether

Location: Aboard the Bird-Of-The-River, sailing the Yann to Bethmoora

Postby Smokehammer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:32 am

Actually, I thought she did -either that or Khaless just decided she liked her and signed her up -which might qualify as some sort of "scholarship" for them.

I'd lean on where Dalvy is going though. Without Val support, since it was rare for Non-Val to go, the tuition of the upper class commoners(possibly sub-house members, Guildies) shouldnt have been enough to keep the school going. Thus either the Sharen were paying for everyone to go, besides the people who bought their way in, or pretty much everyone paid. Unless... the teachers just took positions for altruistic reasons (the rest of the staff being slaves or students) and the kids "allowances" let them buy food etc? *hmmm*
Smokehammer
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby Shgon Dunstan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:59 am

... It's a school for the kids of every major clan.

"Pay for one kid to go there" is irrelevant. The real question is how much or the major clans expected to pay... Just because. Whatever they're paying for that single kid, it sure as hell ain't free.

Hell, it's also run by members of said clans, regardless of whether or not they are "expected" to the their loyalty at the door.

Or in other words, it's a government institution payed for, naturally, by the government... Otherwise known as the clans... Otherwise known as taxes... Otherwise known as those commoners who have not a chance in hell of getting into it.
Shgon Dunstan
Tainted

Postby Smokehammer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:50 am

But that's untrue. One of Ariel's own classmates was from a lesser Clan. And Tralyn, her history teacher was Clanles.. It was a primarily Sharen institution, but they let commoners and lesser nobles in.
Smokehammer
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby Junglefowl26 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:17 am

If I remember correctly, Mel and Kel went to Ortho even before the Sarghress became a minor clan, much less a major one.

It is far from public education, but it does seem to be more a case of if you can afford to go, and evidently even Quain was willing and able to pay for it while running a mercenary company.

(Though admittedly from what we have seen, Vals bully non-Vals pretty hard, or even Vals who aren't vals enough like Ariel and Kiel)

Speaking of the Sarghress, it is noted in the first Vealia sidestory that Nomina Norifu Sarghress went to Ortho, so it seems that subhouses attending is common enough that a minor member of a subhouse of a cash strapped clan can go.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Return to Questions and World setting