Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki

If modern humans start appearing in MA world.

Re: If modern humans start appearing in MA world.

Postby Isuckatnames45 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:32 am

I wasn't really thinking about engagements with the Drow, any early engagements I would imagine early on would be the odd slavers who took a wrong turn, or had heard hushed drunken whispers of clever halmes who know how to operate Dwarven tech I don't really see the Drow as a huge threat early on due to the humans probably not even being a blimp on their radar, The biggest threat I see them having early on is either the beastmen going all Huns on them, or Earth invading cause they didn't pay their tariffs on time, and unfortunately for the Halmes they look an awful lot like the colonists. I kind of liked the idea of them dealing with the other species, I know it's not exactly the Drowtales thing, but I like to take the path less traveled.
Isuckatnames45
Tik'tikki

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:25 am

Isuckatnames45 wrote:I wasn't really thinking about engagements with the Drow, any early engagements I would imagine early on would be the odd slavers who took a wrong turn, or had heard hushed drunken whispers of clever halmes who know how to operate Dwarven tech I don't really see the Drow as a huge threat early on due to the humans probably not even being a blimp on their radar, The biggest threat I see them having early on is either the beastmen going all Huns on them, or Earth invading cause they didn't pay their tariffs on time, and unfortunately for the Halmes they look an awful lot like the colonists. I kind of liked the idea of them dealing with the other species, I know it's not exactly the Drowtales thing, but I like to take the path less traveled.

I think that it is likely that the Highland raiders or the Black Sun would likely become a threat to the colonists at some point, especially if the colonists become known on a widespread basis for their wealth.
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Postby Isuckatnames45 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:09 am

I like to imagine that once the colony is fully established the humans would be more like light elves, isolationist, but far more open and friendlier to others, to defend their community they could set up various traps, roads that lead to dead ends, even towns that were made to dupe would be looters, there could also be some weird alien creature that stowed away on the human ship and now live in the area, they could also do what the U.S. did in Vietnam and installed speakers that make scary ghost or monster like sounds to scare off superstitious folk. Also those artillery emplacements could be the last resort if they actually do reach the colony.
Isuckatnames45
Tik'tikki

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:34 pm

" like to imagine that once the colony is fully established the humans would be more like light elves, isolationist, but far more open and friendlier to others,"

If they let any outsiders in word will eventually get out about the colony and its various vital characteristics such as its level of wealth and at the very least its general location.

" to defend their community they could set up various traps,"

What kind of traps? Will it involve purely mechanical devices or automated AI defenses? Also are these traps lethal or non-lethal, and for either answer what devices will they use to achieve these effects? These are all very important questions to if we are to gauge the effectiveness of such defenses.

"roads that lead to dead ends,"

Those will only serve as temporary hindrances if the intruders are persistent in their search for the colony.

"even towns that were made to dupe would be looters,"

That sounds like a very expensive and possibly short term(if the Intruders wish to fully explore the area) solution to the problem.

"there could also be some weird alien creature that stowed away on the human ship and now live in the area"

If where being realistic about the kinds of security protocols and technology space ships would have in the future such a thing is extremely unlikely, unless someone involved with colony project brought said creatures along with them on purpose.

"they could also do what the U.S. did in Vietnam and installed speakers that make scary ghost or monster like sounds to scare off superstitious folk"

They could very likely scare off Halmes and Orcs with those kind of defenses, but against creatures like Hermiones(They generally seem to be hard to scare and extremely ballsy and persistent even in the face of almost certain death, also even though they generally are superstitious they generally react with anger and violence to what they perceive to be dangerous demonic beings.) and Elves(Its quite common for them to encounter and fight creatures which many would call monsters and "ghosts") I doubt the effectiveness of such kinds of defenses.

"Also those artillery emplacements could be the last resort if they actually do reach the colony."

Question; Is this artillery something they brought along with them on the journey from Earth(or whatever human settlement the colonists come from), or is it something they manufactured on sight after landfall?
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Postby Isuckatnames45 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:55 am

ThatGuyThisGuy wrote:" like to imagine that once the colony is fully established the humans would be more like light elves, isolationist, but far more open and friendlier to others,"

If they let any outsiders in word will eventually get out about the colony and its various vital characteristics such as its level of wealth and at the very least its general location.

" to defend their community they could set up various traps,"

What kind of traps? Will it involve purely mechanical devices or automated AI defenses? Also are these traps lethal or non-lethal, and for either answer what devices will they use to achieve these effects? These are all very important questions to if we are to gauge the effectiveness of such defenses.

"roads that lead to dead ends,"

Those will only serve as temporary hindrances if the intruders are persistent in their search for the colony.

"even towns that were made to dupe would be looters,"

That sounds like a very expensive and possibly short term(if the Intruders wish to fully explore the area) solution to the problem.

"there could also be some weird alien creature that stowed away on the human ship and now live in the area"

If where being realistic about the kinds of security protocols and technology space ships would have in the future such a thing is extremely unlikely, unless someone involved with colony project brought said creatures along with them on purpose.

"they could also do what the U.S. did in Vietnam and installed speakers that make scary ghost or monster like sounds to scare off superstitious folk"

They could very likely scare off Halmes and Orcs with those kind of defenses, but against creatures like Hermiones(They generally seem to be hard to scare and extremely ballsy and persistent even in the face of almost certain death, also even though they generally are superstitious they generally react with anger and violence to what they perceive to be dangerous demonic beings.) and Elves(Its quite common for them to encounter and fight creatures which many would call monsters and "ghosts") I doubt the effectiveness of such kinds of defenses.

"Also those artillery emplacements could be the last resort if they actually do reach the colony."

Question; Is this artillery something they brought along with them on the journey from Earth(or whatever human settlement the colonists come from), or is it something they manufactured on sight after landfall?

The colony is at a very mountainous terrain and would involve a lot of climbing to get to certain places and at some heights would require breather equipment to safely travel. Yes the intruders would be persistent, but the amount of energy, and morale the group would face climbing and at times strafing the edges of various mountains would mean only the bravest or stupid could make it. The creatures would probably have been brought over by someone who wanted to see how they would survive, or were simply mistakenly brought on the ship due to a mix up and it wasn't realized until some poor sap opened it up, it is no doubt very illegal, and that one creature could of just survived the extermination protocol. The fake town could be just a one time quick make something, it doesn't have to be expensive just use what wood they could find and make it look vaguely like a settlement and then add a few nick nacks here and there and some plastic food. Any actual traps could be tunnels that have mines set in them so if one poor soul steps on one it explodes caving in the tunnel, and they can simply drill the tunnel back into shape and repeat the process, they could also expand on those dead ends making pathways into a mountain that become maze like and could lead to dead ends with robots disguised as statues, or have pathways that lead interlopers right off the mountain, they could also use holograms to create "ghosts" or even their teammates to trick them. In terms of wealth though they probably wouldn't use gold but digital currency, and I have no clue what Drow or any other race would see any value in a plastic card, or they could be full blown "real" communists(LOL) and don't even have a currency, though in terms of technology, or resources that could be of any value would probably be too heavy to carry back over the mountains, or they end up getting too greedy and get caught. The artillery would probably have been made once the colony had build the facilities to make them, they probably wanted to replace those rusty old things quickly especially if interlopers keep trying to see what all the ruckus is.
Isuckatnames45
Tik'tikki

Postby Isuckatnames45 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:08 am

In reality though, I have really deviated from my original thought. I had originally envisioned the humans landing on an fertile land, they would of scouted out the land, and see what was edible or not. Then as they were growing their community they would use what materials were found to make their buildings, so it eventually looks just like any other halme village, but with a few quirks here in there. Eventually the humans would meet a growing Halme kingdom, and there was some border skirmishes here in there. The Halmes never really saw the humans as an alien species just people who figured out how to use what was in their mind Dwarven tech, while the humans never saw the halmes as aliens as well due to the idea of an alien species looking exactly like them being a little too on the nose. Eventually a human psychic managed to communicate with the halmes and was able to decipher their language. Though this only effected the higher up at both societies, the human commoners, and halme peasants still would have this huge language barrier. Eventually the human settlement would make a pact with the halme kingdom forming a bizarre Austria-Hungary like nation wear each half is segregated only being unified when there is war.
I could probably combine the 2 have the planes humans be an actual colony while the mountain humans are survivors of a crashed ship and they just decided to live there. To expand on the traps they could use grav boots or jetpacks to glide down and catch them by surprise if they feel like they are getting too close for comfort then run or jump up the cliffs to get back into the high ground, constantly having the high ground while pestering them with rifle shot or cherry bombs till they either are all dead or get to demoralized and rout. They could be different from baseline humans having lived on a planet that is teeming with mountains with ones the size of Everest being the average height, they could be weaker, but a lot more flexible having to hunt creatures by using their grav tech to walk on the mountains edges to get at the flyers that cling to the edge. They could have really good eyesight that could seem supernatural to a Drow who would imagine them being no different then the other goblins often shooting at them with no scopes at lengths a baseline human would have incredible difficulty even seeing without a scope.
Isuckatnames45
Tik'tikki

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:40 am

"I had originally envisioned the humans landing on an fertile land, they would of scouted out the land, and see what was edible or not. Then as they were growing their community they would use what materials were found to make their buildings, so it eventually looks just like any other halme village, but with a few quirks here in there. Eventually the humans would meet a growing Halme kingdom, and there was some border skirmishes here in there. The Halmes never really saw the humans as an alien species just people who figured out how to use what was in their mind Dwarven tech, while the humans never saw the halmes as aliens as well due to the idea of an alien species looking exactly like them being a little too on the nose. Eventually a human psychic managed to communicate with the halmes and was able to decipher their language. Though this only effected the higher up at both societies, the human commoners, and halme peasants still would have this huge language barrier. Eventually the human settlement would make a pact with the halme kingdom forming a bizarre Austria-Hungary like nation wear each half is segregated only being unified when there is war."

Well then conflict with the Drow would almost certainly happen. If such a state forms then the whole known world will know about the Human colonists and that will open them up to attack from distant enemies, and given how the Drow habitually raid Halme settlements it is inevitable that they will attack the allied Halme kingdom and the colonists will be obligated to help defend against the Drow raiders.

Also I wonder just how likely the Hermiones are likely to attack this co Colonist-Halme state since they are known for conquering Halme kingdoms, but this nation is significantly stronger than any Halme kingdom and as long as it does not trade or otherwise deal with the Drow then they may decide to try to play nice or at least leave them alone. However if the Colonist-Halme states becomes known for fighting the Drow then I suspect hey may even become allies of the Colonists.

"I could probably combine the 2 have the planes humans be an actual colony while the mountain humans are survivors of a crashed ship and they just decided to live there."

Eh, I guess that could happen.

"To expand on the traps they could use grav boots or jetpacks to glide down and catch them by surprise if they feel like they are getting too close for comfort then run or jump up the cliffs to get back into the high ground,"

If we are trying to be realistic about technology grav boots are extremely unlikely at least for practical use in the field. Jet packs are things we have today and some are quite capable devices, though they have limitations and if these in story jetpacks are anything like real word jetpacks then you are not going to be sneaking up on anyone with it on.

"constantly having the high ground while pestering them with rifle shot or cherry bombs till they either are all dead or get to demoralized and rout."

That would be an extremely effective method of attack, such a force would be nigh on undefeatable in that environment by any force in the world of Drowtales.

"They could be different from baseline humans having lived on a planet that is teeming with mountains with ones the size of Everest being the average height, they could be weaker, but a lot more flexible having to hunt creatures by using their grav tech to walk on the mountains edges to get at the flyers that cling to the edge."

It is quite likely that Humans in the future especially those that have lived on different planets would have different, though I feel that would compromise the purpose of the story somewhat.

"They could have really good eyesight that could seem supernatural to a Drow who would imagine them being no different then the other goblins often shooting at them with no scopes at lengths a baseline human would have incredible difficulty even seeing without a scope."

Firstly that level of accuracy being a common trait would make them absurdly OP(If where talking about lets say a 75% hit rate at 1500 meters with out any devices to aid aiming besides iron sights they could likely wipe the floor with any Drowtales faction without any effort.), secondly accuracy is not just a function of eyesight it also involves finely tuned muscle control and the ability to calculate distance and the forces that will act upon the bullet while it is in flight.
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Postby Isuckatnames45 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:26 pm

The human/Halme nation was basically created cause the Hermionne had started raiding the area. It was also created to keep the humans in check in terms of gun control many of the nobles who fought the humans during the Boarder wars saw first hand what a gun can do, so the thought of a halme peasant somehow getting their hands on one has scared them to the point that they basically created an agency who's sole purpose is gun control. Just the way I've thought up the politics in the region and even characters had left little room for the Drow till at the very end, there could still be Drow but they would be either mentioned or in small numbers due to how isolated the region is having to travel there either by using a ship which would be difficult for sailing wooden ships to pass through due to weird rock formations sticking out limiting the strength of the wind, or even causing them to crash into them, or by a chasm which is being used as the invading Hermionne's main base, I imagine the halme of this region as being their world's equivalent of the Greeks, mixed with Byzantine, and Arabia, they also have horsemen called Cataphracts that are specifically made with dealing with highland raiders and other black skin forces. The Cataphracts have a unique type of rifle that they specifically asked their new human allies to make for them, it's used as a back up rifle when they need to use ranged attacks.
Last edited by Isuckatnames45 on Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Isuckatnames45
Tik'tikki

Postby Isuckatnames45 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:52 pm

The mountain humans was just my mind trailing off from the original point. And I might of accidentally fused my thought with something original in my head.
Isuckatnames45
Tik'tikki

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Isuckatnames45 wrote:The human/Halme nation was basically created cause the Hermionne had started raiding the area. It was also created to keep the humans in check in terms of gun control many of the nobles who fought the humans during the Boarder wars saw first hand what a gun can do, so the thought of a halme peasant somehow getting their hands on one has scared them to the point that they basically created an agency who's sole purpose is gun control. Just the way I've thought up the politics in the region and even characters had left little room for the Drow till at the very end, there could still be Drow but they would be either mentioned or in small numbers due to how isolated the region is having to travel there either by using a ship which would be difficult for sailing wooden ships to pass through due to weird rock formations sticking out limiting the strength of the wind, or even causing them to crash into them, or by a chasm which is being used as the invading Hermionne's main base, I imagine the halme of this region as being their world's equivalent of the Greeks, mixed with Byzantine, and Arabia, they also have horsemen called Cataphracts that are specifically made with dealing with highland raiders and other black skin forces. The Cataphracts have a unique type of rifle that they specifically asked their new human allies to make for them, it's used as a back up rifle when they need to use ranged attacks.

Are they on the main continent or not? If they are not then the Drow and probably the Hermionnes will likely feature very little in any story about them.
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Postby Isuckatnames45 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:29 am

They are not, but that hasn't stopped mainlanders from going there, it's just very hard for outsiders to come in really large numbers, but they're still enough of a threat that they had to make the Cataphracts. I sort of pictured this land like the silk road, and Asia very mysterious to the vast majority of people, and though very tempting, only the most hardy, and prepared can ever make it. Also the more I added in my head what the region is like, it got really weird, especially with how the mana in the region affect Fae creatures, and the various creatures that inhabit it. The Halmes and other goblins don't worship gods, but instead prey to fossils of ancient creatures that litter the cliffs and rocks of the land as a unique form of ancestor worship, the coat of arms of the nation and the "spirits" that the Cataphract prey to are the fossils of two large sea monsters locked into battle. A lot of the creatures that inhabit the place are living fossils only found there, and there is surprisingly very little Elvish ruins, and the ones that are there looked like they were abandoned long before any calamity could befall them.
Isuckatnames45
Tik'tikki

Previous

Return to Questions and World setting