Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki

Could Zhor be Sharess brother/son?

Could Zhor be Sharess brother/son?

Postby James Rye » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:06 pm

It's just a question which formed in my mind after rereading DT where we got to chapter 46, p.77 where Ariel refuses to take the arm of her soldier to replace her lost one. Snad said that she can see Zhor's blood in her, not Quain's or Mel's and this made me wonder as how could Snad know what kind of "honorable/idealistic" blood Zhor got given his condition to hardly be able to talk the past months and if he talked he surely didn't told Snad much as he distrusts her deeply and believes her to be insane.

So i wondered if perhaps Snad knows more about Zhor, "the holy eye" as Shimi'lande calls him in her vision, than anybody else due her mother Diva. Like Diva told her about the time Sharess was still alive and that Zhor surived that time in that spiderbody and that he is related to Sharess, somebody who sacrificed herself for her own kind for what she believes in. It would be quite interesting if Ariel due Zhor being her father is in some way related to Sharess herself. It certainly would make a lot of Vals spittake if they heard that rumor. XD

Well, it is just a thought and there is no real proof for that, but I think there is a lot we don't know about Zhor, expect that he is over 1000 years old, lived most his life as a huge spider, Kyorls call him holy eye and that Snad says after Ariel's idealistic speech that she can sees Zhor's blood in her.
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Re: Could Zhor be Sharess brother/son?

Postby Dalvyserran » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:47 pm

there's literally nothing about Zhor in MA other than that he was a Sharen-affiliated dark elf turned into a Guardian for Orthorbbae

personally I think he's one of Diva's surviving siblings
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby James Rye » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:27 pm

That would also be a possibility, him being a brother or cousin of Diva.
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Smokehammer » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:31 am

Actually I suggested that Ariel was Sharen thanks to Zhor in a Live Stream and Kern was like (paraphrase) "no way, he was just a soldier from Sharess' kingdom", which I attempted to equate with being at least a lesser noble of the Sharen and if he couldve thrown spaghetti at me, he probably would've. *lol*
Smokehammer
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby Shgon Dunstan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:55 pm

Smokehammer wrote:Actually I suggested that Ariel was Sharen thanks to Zhor in a Live Stream and Kern was like (paraphrase) "no way, he was just a soldier from Sharess' kingdom", which I attempted to equate with being at least a lesser noble of the Sharen and if he couldve thrown spaghetti at me, he probably would've. *lol*

Well technically speaking... Aren't the soldiers members of the clan? *ooo*

Not that it much matters. He could of been a goldfish, hell he could of been Sharess, and it wouldn't effect what Ariel "is" is drow culture all that much, and it's not like she herself is just going to go "Oh wait, I have Sharen blood? Well, that changes everything!".
Shgon Dunstan
Tainted

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Doom Chinchilla » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:06 pm

Shgon Dunstan wrote:
Smokehammer wrote:Actually I suggested that Ariel was Sharen thanks to Zhor in a Live Stream and Kern was like (paraphrase) "no way, he was just a soldier from Sharess' kingdom", which I attempted to equate with being at least a lesser noble of the Sharen and if he couldve thrown spaghetti at me, he probably would've. *lol*

Well technically speaking... Aren't the soldiers members of the clan? *ooo*

Not that it much matters. He could of been a goldfish, hell he could of been Sharess, and it wouldn't effect what Ariel "is" is drow culture all that much, and it's not like she herself is just going to go "Oh wait, I have Sharen blood? Well, that changes everything!".

Technically speaking, there weren't clans as we know them today.

Before Sharess's death, there were large Dark Elven empires/kingdoms that covered the whole southern half of the continent. Zhor wasn't a member of Sharess's "clan" the same way a British soldier isn't a member of the British queen's "clan".

When Sharess evacuated the Dark Elves to the Underworld, it was mostly the ruling class with their retinues who followed her orders, the rest being left behind; it was a chaotic time, the literal end of the world, everything was collapsing on their heads, so when the rulers received her instructions they could only gather and organize so much people, and their own families and servants had preference over the rest, of course...

So, when they arrived to Chel, there was an abnormally high proportion of nobles among the refugees. Those hogged the resources and food for themselves and their loyal soldiers (the nobles becoming the first Vals, the soldiers founding the first subhouses), while the servants became the commoners.

The original nine Great Clans were each made of the renmants of one of the nine Dark Elven kingdoms destroyed by the demonic invasions, and hence, everybody was adscribed to a clan. At the beginning everybody in Chel was either a Val member of a Great Clan, a soldier in service of those Vals, or a servant to those Vals.

However when the Dark Elves became Drow, perfectly adapted to life in the underground, their numbers started to swell, and the clans started to use their own children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, great-great-grandchildren to fill all the posts in the army and administration, discarding and kicking out all the (non-noble) useless mouths, creating the clanless masses of Chel. Also, some clans were destroyed, their commoner members becoming clanless. And new clans rose in turn, taking the place of the fallen ones...
Doom Chinchilla
Dragon of the Nether

Location: Aboard the Bird-Of-The-River, sailing the Yann to Bethmoora
Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Return to Questions and World setting