Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki

Snad's methods

Snad's methods

Postby partner555 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:46 pm

I had a thought about Snad's plans. I get that her motive is that she wants to be ruler. There is no question about that.

What I am questioning however, is her methods. Did it really have to involve turning large numbers of Chel's population into demons? Did it have to involve making Nuqrah unsafe and stealing their airship?

There has got to be ways of killing her mother and becoming ruler that involve far less collateral damage. Like untraceable poisons and if anyone is suspicious, shift blame to the Suls and Sarghs. Why did she use plans that involve so much collateral damage?
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Re: Snad's methods

Postby Obsidian Agent » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:14 pm

My guess? It was a power trip. Violent sociopaths (as opposed to non-violent ones like Khora) who actually have brains often enjoy having absolute power over others. Not just political power, but the most basic power of all - that of life and death. The thought of being able to inflict so much death and destruction at once is a huge ego-boost to someone like her.

Also, her plan is to cause so much destruction that no one will be left who's strong enough to oppose her when she comes barging in with food and other supplies (from her own personal stores) to make herself look like a hero - a goddess to be worshiped.

Basically, everything she's done has been for the sake of stroking her own ego.
Obsidian Agent
Dragon of the Nether

Postby is-ness » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:43 am

It isn't about being ruler and taking the place of her mother. It's about being supreme ruler of and wielding absolute power over all drow, therefore surpassing her mother. If you think about it that way, Snad's actions make a lot more sense.

Nuqrah was about replacing a neutral or actively opposing leader with a ruler who is both indebted to and actively supportive of Snad. Since the other two clans will likely follow the Illhardro, Snad only needs to change the Illhardro queen in order to control the entire city. Similarly, I think that's what she actually wanted from Ariel prior to Kalki's... handiwork. (so sorry, couldn't resist)

Stealing the Airship was about stealing the one superweapon in this world. Think of her display in Felde as a nuclear weapons test in a world that doesn't have nuclear weapons. It's meant to be impressive and intimidating, so people will think twice about going to war with her.

Tainting large portions of Chel was about forcing people who might not otherwise bow to her into either taking her "cure" or dying horribly. It also undermines a person's loyalty to their clan and replaces it with loyalty to Snad, as she's the one who gave them the "cure." Though I'm still not 100% convinced that Snad's merged aren't somehow subtly controllable by Snad.

On top of that, remember that Snad doesn't actually care about the people, just the power. So, collateral damage is not something that matters to her, as long as it doesn't destroy her PR. And considering how bad things are in Chel, there is a significant portion of the population that will be ready to forgive anything in exchange for food.
is-ness
Tainted

Postby Gunbird » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:32 pm

I think there something mentioned about the merging does something to the hosts personality. It seems like the almost everyone does it irrational and immoral crazy people, even by the comics antagonists standards.

I wold say that Snad had a somewhat just cause. She believe that the drow should follow by their own culture and rules rather than that of a culture of a nearly extinct race. She also has be abused by Diva'ratrika, so she has personal reasons for doing the regime change too.

However when she merged with her taint,(with what demon, who the fuck knows?) she been asking like a psychopath.( Im using that term loosely. She's missing a few traits to be considered a actual one.) She now only manipulating for the sake of manipulating. Any empathy for anyone, much less the commoner population, is long gone.
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Postby is-ness » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:09 pm

As far as I recall, the only actual affects of the merging that we know for sure is that it removes impulse control and that it prevents death by tainting. I don't think being crazy is a requirement to accepting the merge, since I don't think Shinae was unusually immoral or crazy when she accepted--just desperate.

Snad's goal might have been somewhat just if she really wanted drow ruled by drow. But that's not really true--she wants them ruled by a specific drow--her. That might come from Diva, since Snad says Diva controlled every aspect of Snad's life. Grow up in a controlling environment like that and you tend to become a control-freak too.

I also don't think the psychopathic behaviors started with the merge. I think they started with Khaless's death. Snad herself points to this as her breaking point, and she wasn't tainted when it happened. Nor was she tainted when Kalki was born. She chose to act because of that break, not the merge. But because the merge removes impulse control, it keeps her on her current path and might account for some of the sloppiness and rash behaviors that have been showing up lately.
is-ness
Tainted

Postby TheFinalFan » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:25 am

...But if people know about her plan that are actively trying to stop it...why would it work?
The entire city is now allied together against her, and is not going to fall for her bullsh*t.
I think she needs to go back to Square One on this.
TheFinalFan
Tainted

Postby Gunbird » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:46 am

TheFinalFan wrote:...But if people know about her plan that are actively trying to stop it...why would it work?
The entire city is now allied together against her, and is not going to fall for her bullsh*t.

There falling to her BS. And there falling hard.

Only a few people know that she trying the underworld. And fewer know of her true intentions.
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Postby partner555 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:34 am

TheFinalFan wrote:...But if people know about her plan that are actively trying to stop it...why would it work?

Er no, the entire city is not allied against her. Don't forget, one of the Nalsarkoth ambassadors voiced her support of Snad. She's only just one example.
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon

Return to Questions and World setting