Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki

I'm Sick And Tired Of Not Knowing Anything Anymore!

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Not Knowing Anything Anymore!

Postby TheFinalFan » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:30 am

And what is the goal of the Nids? I never really understood what they were trying to do.
TheFinalFan
Tainted

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Obsidian Agent » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:36 am

Basically, the Nids' goal is to make Snadhya'rune Supreme Empress of Drowkind (TM), and bring about the forced evolution of the Drow into a new race by forcibly tainting everyone, and then making everyone merge with their seeds to become Snadhya's sycophantic batshit crazy blowjob-givers for all time.

Which, now that I think about it, makes them very similar to the "Tiberian Sun"-era Brotherhood of Nod. Just replace Kane with Snadhya'rune, humans with Drow, and Tiberium with demons, and, bam. You go from Nod to Nid just like that.

Okay, not a perfect match, as Kane A - is smarter than Snadhya'rune, and B - has a few redeeming qualities here and there.
Obsidian Agent
Dragon of the Nether

Postby TheFinalFan » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:54 am

Obsidian Agent wrote:Basically, the Nids' goal is to make Snadhya'rune Supreme Empress of Drowkind (TM), and bring about the forced evolution of the Drow into a new race by forcibly tainting everyone, and then making everyone merge with their seeds to become Snadhya's sycophantic batshit crazy blowjob-givers for all time.

Which, now that I think about it, makes them very similar to the "Tiberian Sun"-era Brotherhood of Nod. Just replace Kane with Snadhya'rune, humans with Drow, and Tiberium with demons, and, bam. You go from Nod to Nid just like that.

Okay, not a perfect match, as Kane A - is smarter than Snadhya'rune, and B - has a few redeeming qualities here and there.

Alright...
1. Based on Shinae's...response...why would anyone want to be tainted and then altered?
2. Why did the Nids have the whole war thing at the beginning of the series?
3. Why didn't Snad just murder her way to the top instead of biding her time?
4. What's the point of the plague?
TheFinalFan
Tainted

Postby Obsidian Agent » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:11 am

TheFinalFan wrote:
Obsidian Agent wrote:Basically, the Nids' goal is to make Snadhya'rune Supreme Empress of Drowkind (TM), and bring about the forced evolution of the Drow into a new race by forcibly tainting everyone, and then making everyone merge with their seeds to become Snadhya's sycophantic batshit crazy blowjob-givers for all time.

Alright...
1. Based on Shinae's...response...why would anyone want to be tainted and then altered?

The first part is because Snadhya lied about tainting's true purpose. She told everyone that it's the only safe way to control nether creatures, when in reality, it's a way to both recruit sycophants and eliminate anyone who doesn't agree to be loyal to her. Snadhya wants to wipe out the rest of the Sharen clan, because they'd pose a threat to her power when they're no longer useful. It's only after they learn about what tainting really does that they'd look for any way to avoid being eaten by their seeds, that they'd turn to Snadhya in desperation.

As for the war, that was to destabilize Chel (or at the very least, start the process), so that, once Chel fell into complete chaos, Snadhya'rune could step in and present herself as a savior, bringing order to an unstable city.

The third point, well, sometimes you need to wait until the time is right. Act too quickly, and everyone will catch on to what you're doing, and that's just not good for you. Basically, she's waiting until all the pieces are in their proper places to act.

And the Plague? She'll unleash it on anyone who doesn't swear loyalty to her. Nothing like combining blackmail with biological warfare!

Also, please note, that Snadhya'rune is completely and utterly batshit insane. If the above plans make her look like she's nuts, well... that's because she IS.
Obsidian Agent
Dragon of the Nether

Postby TheFinalFan » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:28 am

Obsidian Agent wrote:
TheFinalFan wrote:

Alright...

The first part is because Snadhya lied about tainting's true purpose. She told everyone that it's the only safe way to control nether creatures, when in reality, it's a way to both recruit sycophants and eliminate anyone who doesn't agree to be loyal to her. Snadhya wants to wipe out the rest of the Sharen clan, because they'd pose a threat to her power when they're no longer useful. It's only after they learn about what tainting really does that they'd look for any way to avoid being eaten by their seeds, that they'd turn to Snadhya in desperation.

As for the war, that was to destabilize Chel (or at the very least, start the process), so that, once Chel fell into complete chaos, Snadhya'rune could step in and present herself as a savior, bringing order to an unstable city.

The third point, well, sometimes you need to wait until the time is right. Act too quickly, and everyone will catch on to what you're doing, and that's just not good for you. Basically, she's waiting until all the pieces are in their proper places to act.

And the Plague? She'll unleash it on anyone who doesn't swear loyalty to her. Nothing like combining blackmail with biological warfare!

Also, please note, that Snadhya'rune is completely and utterly batshit insane. If the above plans make her look like she's nuts, well... that's because she IS.

Then how the hell did she get this far?!?
TheFinalFan
Tainted

Postby Obsidian Agent » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:37 am

TheFinalFan wrote:Then how the hell did she get this far?!?

Because despite being insane, Snadhya'rune is also very smart. And manipulative. Insane does not equal stupid. She has agents in every clan, and they report back to her, and she makes her plans based off of that intelligence.

You see, Snadhya'rune is also a sociopath - superficially charming, but unable to feel empathy for anyone, nor can she feel shame for anything she's done. She knows how to fake emotions, so that people will react in ways she wants them to react, but she doesn't actually FEEL the emotions - apart from self-satisfaction and contempt. She's like Gihren Zabi from "Mobile Suit Gundam".
Obsidian Agent
Dragon of the Nether

Postby TheFinalFan » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:34 am

Obsidian Agent wrote:

Because despite being insane, Snadhya'rune is also very smart. And manipulative. Insane does not equal stupid. She has agents in every clan, and they report back to her, and she makes her plans based off of that intelligence.

You see, Snadhya'rune is also a sociopath - superficially charming, but unable to feel empathy for anyone, nor can she feel shame for anything she's done. She knows how to fake emotions, so that people will react in ways she wants them to react, but she doesn't actually FEEL the emotions - apart from self-satisfaction and contempt. She's like Gihren Zabi from "Mobile Suit Gundam".

So why wouldn't it be a good idea for Ariel to hack her up into tiny bits?
Because I REALLY want to see this b*tch dead! D.E.D. Dead.
TheFinalFan
Tainted

Postby Obsidian Agent » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:50 am

TheFinalFan wrote:
Obsidian Agent wrote:

Because Snadhya'rune is also far, FAR more powerful than Ariel. Ariel would need help from Faen, Chrys, Sar'nel, Kau, Sil'lice, Tur'geis, Die'tra, Chiri, Shan, Mikilu, and quite a few others to bring her down. Taking down Snadhya is going to be a monumental task, one that would require probably half the cast to accomplish.

That doesn't mean Ariel couldn't deliver the killing blow, though.
Obsidian Agent
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Gunbird » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:59 am

TheFinalFan wrote:
Obsidian Agent wrote:

As much as I like to see Ariel do that to (literal)mother killer, I don't see capable of doing it.At lest currently.

Snadhya'rune Is a extremely powerful Summoner. http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=10327 http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=10332
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Postby Smokehammer » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:30 am

But Ariel's also incredibly sneaky. Really all she would have to do is become Mel and it would be all over but the shout. -Assuming there isnt more to Snad than her summoning anyway; the last time we saw her seemed to imply otherwise.
Smokehammer
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby TheFinalFan » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:46 am

I'm just so tired of this arc.
The only parts that I had any interest in were the Ariel, Kiel, Naal, Diva, and Zala parts. The only characters I know of in the last few pages are Nishi, Sil'ice, and Chinae. I just feel like the story's been in a holding pattern since the Felde arc and not much has happened other than Game of Thrones-level political shenanigans and Naruto-level magical bullsh*t.
Sure, Chiri and others have done some things, but fixing the Kyorls seems like small potatoes when Snad still gets away, the headmistress b*tch gets no comeuppance for her crap, and only that weird Kyorl empath dies.
And the demon god thing seemed to really have no purpose to the story other than to resolve a few arcs, get Kharla (one of my favorite characters) killed, and have an excuse for a pseudo-zombie apocalypse.
How hard is it to ask for something to happen?
TheFinalFan
Tainted

Postby Khora2150 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:15 am

There is the whole approach of just not reading the damn comic if it continues to upset or confuse you.

I mean, and this may sound completely crazy, but there are people out there who demand that the author change the story just to suit them, because they disagree with the way things are proceeding. They even might make multiple posts about this.

However, most people would figure out quite quickly when posting on a forum (Which Kern does not read with anything resembling regularity anymore), that a single person with no influence is not going to be capable of changing the story in a significant way.

TLDR; You need to have some reason for the author to listen to you when you want to change anything. Money, obligations, connections and/or being a friend of said author. Otherwise what you are doing is just venting to the open air.
Khora2150
Demon

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Thrair » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:34 am

A bit blunt, but a pretty accurate assessment, yes.

One thing I've found that helps when a story feels, for whatever reason, stale.... is to honestly just take a break from it. Either re-read the archives if it's a long runner and you barely remember the beginning (I keep meaning to re-read the early chapters of drowtales in order, not piecemeal like I've done recently for other reasons)...

Or... well.... just stick in in a bookmark and come back in a couple weeks or months. I did that with One Piece fairly recently. Kinda ignored it for about 3 months, then binged back through it. And it definitely had gone through a slow-paced phase that would have been less enjoyable if I was waiting for each chapter instead of steaming through it in one big session.
Thrair
Demon

Location: My Chair, Washington (Just south of My Computer, Washington)

Postby vlashrod » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:56 am

TheFinalFan wrote:I'm just so tired of this arc.

And i'm tired from this thread. Always the same complains and no efforts or willingness for listen to the other's patience and advices.

Ariel may be a protagonist she's not a powerful character with overwhelming powers, living in the shadows of her grand-mother. The story line, the main plot is between the clans leaders, the resolve of the war is the main line. Ariel is just a single dot moving into this mess of politics. And if she fight Snadhya she'll get her ass kicked like any others.

Things are moving. Snadhya has returned in Chel and rising from the mess she had builded between the clans for decades. She's ready and the Nids are well prepared. We are at a corner part of the story. Will the first daughter be able to dominate her counterparts ?
If no then the plot will resume with the Zala'ess/Quain'tana opposition with the Sarghress killing all opposition in front of them.
If yes then the Sargrhess will experience for the first time of their story defeat and a major crysis in their ranks.

This chapter is called Unravel, don't forget it. We may see the end of Sillice, Quain'tana and other majors characters or clans.
vlashrod
Demon

Postby Hellsion » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:01 pm

TheFinalFan wrote:How hard is it to ask for something to happen?

are you reading the same story the rest of us are?

I challenge you to reread the entire comic and give us a chapter by chapter summary of events critique.

because I want to know exactly what you are seeing that the rest of us aren't. I am genuinely curious.
Hellsion
Vel'akar

Clan: Valley'gurl

Previous

Return to Questions and World setting