Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki

I'm Sick And Tired Of Not Knowing Anything Anymore!

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Not Knowing Anything Anymore!

Postby Nori » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:56 am

I think a lot of series will have some initial questions left unanswered until you delve further into backstory/world setting/non-published materials no matter what unfortunately, especially if you jump in later in the series or binge through it all at once, or at least more lore heavy/character driven stories tend to fall into that pattern from my experience. I'd definitely echo the sentiment of checking out tvtropes to solve it though, it's probably your best bet on the matter and mostly neutral about characters unlike the forum at times xD There's typically at least some exposition in each chapter/beginning of the forum thread for the page that will address a lot of those types of questions too, and sometimes we're not necessarily SUPPOSED to know certain characters/plots lines/little things like that even if other forum dwellers do, they're just REALLY into the expanded materials and tend to talk with Kern directly to get those answers

Shanna66 wrote:And i hate how some people in the forums act like your the one with an issue if you dont remember a minor character who hadnt been in the comic in years.

If it gets to the point where you feel they're blatantly being hostile, I'd definitely recommend reporting them, otherwise I think a lot of the more blaming elements of people's responses stems from miscommunication/language barriers/differing social etiquette, I've noticed some frequent forum dwellers have a tendency towards being a lot more abrasive in their comments overall, but most anytime they've been called out for it have sincerely apologized and expressed that they did not intend it to come across that way. That being said, that's still lame you've been made to feel that way and I'm sorry to hear that :c--and to anyone reading my great wall of texts, rest assured there's no obligation to know every character, name, and plot thread in the comic in order to read in and participate in the community, EVER, and even if some forumites may be curt in response to questions, always feel free to ask anything you need to for clarity and ignore those arse hats :>
Nori
Nether Spawn

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Shanna66 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:20 am

Nori wrote:I think a lot of series will have some initial questions left unanswered until you delve further into backstory/world setting/non-published materials no matter what unfortunately, especially if you jump in later in the series or binge through it all at once, or at least more lore heavy/character driven stories tend to fall into that pattern from my experience. I'd definitely echo the sentiment of checking out tvtropes to solve it though, it's probably your best bet on the matter and mostly neutral about characters unlike the forum at times xD There's typically at least some exposition in each chapter/beginning of the forum thread for the page that will address a lot of those types of questions too, and sometimes we're not necessarily SUPPOSED to know certain characters/plots lines/little things like that even if other forum dwellers do, they're just REALLY into the expanded materials and tend to talk with Kern directly to get those answers

Shanna66 wrote:And i hate how some people in the forums act like your the one with an issue if you dont remember a minor character who hadnt been in the comic in years.

If it gets to the point where you feel they're blatantly being hostile, I'd definitely recommend reporting them, otherwise I think a lot of the more blaming elements of people's responses stems from miscommunication/language barriers/differing social etiquette, I've noticed some frequent forum dwellers have a tendency towards being a lot more abrasive in their comments overall, but most anytime they've been called out for it have sincerely apologized and expressed that they did not intend it to come across that way. That being said, that's still lame you've been made to feel that way and I'm sorry to hear that :c--and to anyone reading my great wall of texts, rest assured there's no obligation to know every character, name, and plot thread in the comic in order to read in and participate in the community, EVER, and even if some forumites may be curt in response to questions, always feel free to ask anything you need to for clarity and ignore those arse hats :>

i havent had anyone who was horrible enough to report, just needlessly rude is all :) and some people just like to sound almost mean on the interwebz, it happens on any online forum.

i didnt even know about the tropes site, ive only ever used the wiki here and well, it could use some work lol plus its hard to look up a character when i dont even know the name which is why it was great when kern was writing in the names of the characters. and yes, the forums are great for recent pages. im sure the same thing happens to any comic that has gone on as long as DT and has a large cast
Shanna66
Vel'akar

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Dalvyserran » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:46 pm

TheFinalFan is constantly asking "what is going on?" which can get fairly annoying, but there is truth to this. This is a common issue I've seen with people I've (and others) tried to get into MA in the past. I personally believe it has to do with :

1) You see shiny, distracting cameos appearing every chapter, and the average reader feels like they're forced to remember names and faces... only to realize that they're just there for a few pages.

2) the massive character bloat going on. Even minus the cameos, there's still a lot of secondary characters to consider in the story, and if you're not invested in the plot then you're going to get turned off to DT really fast. Not to mention that hardly anyone is removed from the story relative to how many are introduced...

3) Admittedly, it seems like the plot is all over the place at points. This is a big issue people tell me when I try to get them to read.
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby wolfdancer95 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:30 am

Dalvyserran wrote:TheFinalFan is constantly asking "what is going on?" which can get fairly annoying, but there is truth to this. This is a common issue I've seen with people I've (and others) tried to get into MA in the past. I personally believe it has to do with :

1) You see shiny, distracting cameos appearing every chapter, and the average reader feels like they're forced to remember names and faces... only to realize that they're just there for a few pages.

2) the massive character bloat going on. Even minus the cameos, there's still a lot of secondary characters to consider in the story, and if you're not invested in the plot then you're going to get turned off to DT really fast. Not to mention that hardly anyone is removed from the story relative to how many are introduced...

3) Admittedly, it seems like the plot is all over the place at points. This is a big issue people tell me when I try to get them to read.

And another point I would like to say, is that most of the fanbase is silent and about 30ish people are frequently posting on a rotation- however when a cameo or minor character appear, those that are usually silent will pop up to talk about that character, and remind everyone who they are.

However, concerning the not knowing who everyone is thing, we really need to have the wiki updated, but at this moment a lot of people use the tvtropes pages to figure out who is who.

Should we start a drowtales wikia? since tvtropes is rather limited to tropes and a wikia's are usually more detailed.
wolfdancer95
Vel'akar

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Dalvyserran » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:21 pm

A wikia would be better in this case. At least access to the editing side of the data would be open to anyone who has the time to update.
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Postby partner555 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:18 pm

Dalvyserran wrote:A wikia would be better in this case. At least access to the editing side of the data would be open to anyone who has the time to update.

It certainly wouldn't have the unviewable pages problem of the current wiki, that's for sure. A wikia would also be less exclusive too, so it will not be as dependant on a certain key few people, like you and me for the current wiki.
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Hellsion » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:38 pm

TheFinalFan wrote:Why does it seem like everyone on this forum knows who every single character out of a massive cast of HUNDREDS is?!?
How do you all keep track of every single little plot point?!?
And why do I constantly feel like an idiot when I don't know who or what something or someone is?!?

IS IT BECAUSE MOST OF THEM ARE BLACK?

I raced back from work to post this. yes it is a really bad joke.

lets do a wikia? why hasn't one been done yet?
Hellsion
Vel'akar

Clan: Valley'gurl

Postby Nori » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:36 pm

Well there's one now >.> http://drowtales.wikia.com/wiki/Drowtales_Wikia,((hopefully didn't overstep any boundaries there)) in theory everyone should have equal editing power to revamp it however they think would be best, and if not uuuuuh well I probably messed something up somehow and you can all just log into my wikia account if need be ._.;; Most of the initial work seems like it's going to be just copy pasting everything still accessible from the Orthorbbae Library and reworking the format accordingly, so if anyone's got some free time to kill definitely feel free to go at it :> Annnnd I'll definitely not take ANY offense in the least if you edit my pages too, I've just been throwing stuff up to have SOMETHING, and it's the communities wiki to do with as they think best(+I trust you guys more than myself lmao) ((that being said please be reasonable with your edits, it really only impacts other readers if you edit anything ridiculously for shits and giggles :b))
Nori
Nether Spawn

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Dalvyserran » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:36 pm

Most of the heavy lifting will involve just copy pasta-ing everything from the library. The only things that really need new infos are cameo and character updates.
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Aurawyn » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:38 pm

I get that lost feeling too sometimes.. I've been reading DT since 2004.. Most of the time I get the lost feeling when a character resurfaces after a looong time, and everyone starts talking about that character, but no one specifically says *where* that character was last seen (For example "Last Time we saw Yuh'le was ChX, PgY) .

This lost feeling also crops up when it is a character that appears in Daydreams or Relic Hunters and people start half talking about what was going on there (Like its Cannon and AFAIK its not) like its somehow important to the main story..

But I Dunno.. I don't forum to much anymore.. I just read the story
Aurawyn
Demon

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby TheFinalFan » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:40 pm

I just want some actual organization from the writers and developers.
I shouldn't be so lost that I have to trowel the forum page for what I just read JUST to understand the context of the page!
It's why I ask so many questions on there. It's infinitely easier to ask everyone else what something is, then wait an hour or two to come back and get the responses than it is to REREAD THE ENTIRE DAMN COMIC to find my answer.
And enough of all of the side stories! We're focusing this chapter on a character that has DIED. TWICE!!!
Can we PLEASE get back to Ariel and actually progressing THE MAIN PLOT OF THE F**KING WEBCOMIC?!?
TheFinalFan
Tainted

Postby partner555 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:56 pm

TheFinalFan wrote:I just want some actual organization from the writers and developers.
I shouldn't be so lost that I have to trowel the forum page for what I just read JUST to understand the context of the page!
It's why I ask so many questions on there. It's infinitely easier to ask everyone else what something is, then wait an hour or two to come back and get the responses than it is to REREAD THE ENTIRE DAMN COMIC to find my answer.
And enough of all of the side stories! We're focusing this chapter on a character that has DIED. TWICE!!!
Can we PLEASE get back to Ariel and actually progressing THE MAIN PLOT OF THE F**KING WEBCOMIC?!?

The plot IS progressing. The plot is not just about Ariel, Ariel is just one of the viewpoint characters. The major plot is the political situation of Chel. In the first 30 chapter or so, the political situation was cold-war level of conflict, and the deterioration of that into outright war was the plot. The progress of the war and its effects on various factions forms the major part of the plot post-timeskip.
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby TheFinalFan » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:54 pm

partner555 wrote:
TheFinalFan wrote:I just want some actual organization from the writers and developers.

The plot IS progressing. The plot is not just about Ariel, Ariel is just one of the viewpoint characters. The major plot is the political situation of Chel. In the first 30 chapter or so, the political situation was cold-war level of conflict, and the deterioration of that into outright war was the plot. The progress of the war and its effects on various factions forms the major part of the plot post-timeskip.

But the plot is progressing so slowly. How many flashbacks deep are we right now?
It feels like a Harry Turtledove series, and not in a good way.
And again, it would help if I knew anything about the spy, other than that she is Faen's sister, and why she was stabbed.
Also, do we at least have a timeframe of when we get to see Ariel smash Snadyha's skull open with a tire iron?
TheFinalFan
Tainted

Postby Khora2150 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:55 pm

TheFinalFan wrote:
partner555 wrote:

But the plot is progressing so slowly. How many flashbacks deep are we right now?
It feels like a Harry Turtledove series, and not in a good way.
And again, it would help if I knew anything about the spy, other than that she is Faen's sister, and why she was stabbed.
Also, do we at least have a timeframe of when we get to see Ariel smash Snadyha's skull open with a tire iron?

Why? Snads would make for a better ruler. Suube and Quain are going to die, Zala is infected, the alliance leaders probably have little interest in supplying a starving city to make sticking around worth it. Other rulers are busy with their own clan affairs.

Ariel would kill the only viable ruler left, and then what? Skip off into the sunset with Faen to a colony on the surface? Rule the underworld at the head of an unruly mob, with her extensive command experience?

Though given what I heard, the comic has only a few chapters left as it is, sooo...
Khora2150
Demon

Postby Gunbird » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:02 am

Flashbacks? Plot is going more or less happening at the same time.

And the spy was working for the Sullisin’rune. She was trying to give information to a Sarghress legionnaire, but it might be in vain. The Nid seemed to found out that she giving out information and gave her a "green light".

This is Kern said this about page 18

The spy is the first one to bite it. As the light shutting down in the tower meant something was amiss and one person left out to follow their departing "guest". Her power that allows her to search the feelings of those around her fails her and in the end, she is stabbed through.
In the last chapter we've set the precedent that empathy has it limits. Snadhya has her people well trained...
The guy who just arrived is Emperial's cameo, he showed up in chapter 44 as custodian of her tower in Felde. You can assume he left with the wave of chelian guests.
Gunbird
Vel'akar

PreviousNext

Return to Questions and World setting