Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki

Moonless Age ending mood

How do you want and expect Moonless Age to end?

Want and expect a happy ending
No votes
Want a happy ending, but expect a bittersweet one
37%
Want a happy ending, but expect a sad one
3%
Want a bittersweet ending, but expect a happy one
10%
Want and expect a bittersweet ending
27%
Want a bittersweet ending, but expect a sad one
13%
Want a sad ending, but expect a happy one
3%
Want a sad ending, but expect a bittersweet one
No votes
Want and expect a sad ending
7%
Other
No votes

Total votes : 30

Moonless Age ending mood

Postby reefireparrot » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:22 pm

Now that we're in the endgame (Kern estimated that there were about six chapters left in a recent news post), how do you want and expect Moonless Age to end?

This is the first story I've read where I'll be disappointed if everything works out for everyone in the end. I just don't see it realistically happening in the time left. On the other hand, I don't like endings that are nothing but sadness upon despair. So I'm hoping for and expecting a bittersweet ending.

ETA: Added link.
Last edited by reefireparrot on Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reefireparrot
Nether Spawn

Clan: Illhar'dro

Re: Moonless Age ending mood

Postby partner555 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:39 pm

I expect important supporting characters to die, but I'm certain Ariel will live and rise to be leader of the Sarghs.
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby AnoP » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:12 pm

reefireparrot wrote:Now that we're in the endgame (Kern estimated that there were about six chapters left in a recent news post), how do you want and expect Moonless Age to end?

Interesting, I thought that there was meant to be an arc 3. And I thought I remember something about another time skip . *hmmm* Seems a bit to do in six chapters. Then again those can get up to 150 pages long . *hmmm*
AnoP
Vel'akar

Postby Sonor Val'Illhar'dro » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:57 pm

There are a lot of loose ends to tie up in 6 chapters

Light elf nation- like are we going to see them again, are they gonna expand, like whats going on
The results of Snadhya's poison
Is Mikilu dead/alive?
Will Sillice/Nishi get their revenge on Snad? Will they bring the Mimians to Chel?
When is the tainting time bomb gonna actually go off?
And what about Sha'sana dinking around in her tower with Sharess's body?
The Black Sun aren't going to leave a weakened and starved Chel alone, so whats up with them
I feel like we've all forgotten about the Hermionne, but they're still topside burning and killing drow colonies
Were we just gonna learn about Char and Hel and like....not go there?
And what about Ys? Its named after a city that got swallowed up by the sea, so where are we on that
Where the hell is Kel'noz, what the hell is doing
Is Ash'waren going to come back to her clan or nah?
Will Mel finally reunite with her kids? will she realize Snad is batshit crazy?
Where and what is Kiel going to do now that her clan is homeless?
When Zala'ess dies, what happens to the Alliance? Will Chrys kill Shinae or will Shinae kill Chrys?
Are we going to see Nuqrah or Mimaneid again?
So where the hell did Mr. Demon God go if there was no gate for him to return to? Is he roaming the wilds of the underworld eating up the small demons or has he parked himself in the middle of Chel just absorbing all the ambient mana?

I NEED ANSWERS, 6 MORE CHAPTERS ISN'T ENOUGH
:A :A :A :A
Sonor Val'Illhar'dro
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Junglefowl26 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:57 pm

I am also surprised as the six chapter estimate. I mean, the political situation is still extremely volatile and it is going to take a lot for that to change, Snad has only had a minor setback at this point so her defeat might seem abrupt, Ariel still needs a lot of character development and needs to win more fame before she can be the leader of the Sarghress, etc and so on.

Heck, Quain isn't even dead yet and I thought that would be around the half way point.

Then again, AnoP is right, these chapters have been getting super giant lately.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Obsidian Agent » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:33 pm

After Moonless Age though, what comes next? A completely different comic in the same world, like "Mythes" or something? An "official" Space Age? Or something radically different?
Obsidian Agent
Dragon of the Nether

Postby bobbiblackcat » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:01 pm

We see the phrase "The end of the Moonless Age" sometimes, so I wonder if this means the underworld cities will be abandoned for overworld colonies. Actually it would be funny if the Drow came overworld and united, just as Snad wanted, but not under her control. This actually would be a "happy" ending for me, although a ton of characters would die/suffer.
bobbiblackcat
Tik'tikki

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Dalvyserran » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:52 am

Realistically, how much more can be squeezed out of Snadhya's plots? What about the other nations?

Also, I've always preferred that it's about time we return to the surface to address the (imho) wider issues of famine, colonization, Hermionne and Black Suns, but I'm probably alone in this sentiment.
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby partner555 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:33 am

Dalvyserran wrote:Realistically, how much more can be squeezed out of Snadhya's plots? What about the other nations?

Also, I've always preferred that it's about time we return to the surface to address the (imho) wider issues of famine, colonization, Hermionne and Black Suns, but I'm probably alone in this sentiment.

I actually forgot about some of those issues, though Snad did contribute to the famine by attacking the colonies.
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Tiam » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:33 am

Bittersweet all the way. Simply because it seems the most realistic way to end this wild ride. Much will be won, but the cost should make the survivors wonder if it was truly worth it. But when the dust settles they discover hope amidst the carnage and chaos and perhaps a new wiser path/paths to follow. That's what I want and expect.
Tiam
Demon

Location: Skyrim. Having a tea party with good old Sheo and playing tag with an elder dragon...
Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Gunbird » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:57 pm

Obsidian Agent wrote:After Moonless Age though, what comes next? A completely different comic in the same world, like "Mythes" or something? An "official" Space Age? Or something radically different?

But how do you think the Moonless age ending would be like, Obsidian?

Personally I prefer a bittersweet ending. I think a happy ending would be off key to the story of this comic. And I think a downer " all trial will go extinct type of ending" is just a little too much.

I just hope Karen doesn't rush the ending just because he's 6 chapters away from 50.
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:34 am

I want a happy ending, but expect a bittersweet one, as I'm sure many deaths await us in the final arc. But in the end, wouldn't it be cool to see the drow back on the surface to stay, and start having Dokkalfar and Vanir babies again? I like the Laths and the Ssu, but these are mutations caused by being underground...I expect genetic reversion when they start living under the sun again. How will the Laths feel about suddenly popping out Dark Elf babies? Will they grow to dominate the Laths, as the Laths did to their Dokkalfar ancestors? And the Ssu...most of them believe they are related to Sharess and the Laths, how will they react to having Vanir babies? Will there be Lath and Ssu who resist the change, and return to eking out an existence underground like the Xuile'solen?

Also, as Sonor pointed out, Sha'sana is still up in the Ninth Tower (assuming they fixed that elevator so she hasn't starved to death), believing she will be successful in restoring Sharess' spirit into her body. Is she still alive, keeping her vigil, or will whoever gets back up there find another Diva-like dead body? And where the hel did Big Red sod off to? A demon god isn't likely to peacefully starve to oblivion. And yes, Char and Hel need explorin' already! Also, to add to her list, how about Vaelia and her kids?

About the future: Arc I was 32 chapters long, Arc II only 17 so far. If Arc III starts with chapter 51, there will only be five chapters in it. Even if we forego Arc III, Arc II will only have 23 chapters (albeit some of the biggest chapters to date). Therefore, I would like to see Arc II run all the way out to 55 with some sort of climactic cliff-hanger (say the exodus to the surface begins), then end Moonless Age, do an appropriate timeskip, and start a New Moons Age or The Sun Age with most of the core cast older and now living on the surface. The kid cast should grow up and become leaders of their factions in the new environment, but keep the continuity to Moonless Age, don't start a totally unrelated storyline. That could be our Arc III, with a new generation of youngsters (kid cast 2?) like Vene, Pup, Octobaby, Suna, and others yet to be born having adventures of their own on the surface, while the old kid cast become mature, and those who haven't had kids yet, might. I would like to see this franchise run for another fifteen years after Moonless Age ends (that would take us out to the 2030s...Kern would be in his 50s!). We might not even be using PCs or smartphones to be reading Drowtales by then...or perhaps they will have an easy way to make animation by then, and we could be watching New Moons Age/The Sun Age in 3D anime with intelligent vocaloid voice-overs and soundtrack, maybe even interactive AI characters that fans can talk to, blurring the distinction between cartoon, anime, and MMORPG. Kern will still be the storyteller, and he would draw, but the drawings would come alive, they would think and help Kern focus on telling his story by taking care of things like story threads and loose ends, on their own! Now that, I look forward to with much eagerness...enjoying Drowtales until I have grey hair B)

edit: and beyond...durf, I ain't givin' this up just because my hair changes color...as Luna says, *pffft* 8P
Basileus_Ioannis
Vel'akar

Location: Bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the (Mist) Sea

Postby Obsidian Agent » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:45 pm

Actually, there's probably going to be a massive die-off of Fae. Why? Well, for starters, near the beginning of the comic, it says that "this is the world as it was through their eyes". Key word being WAS - implying past-tense. Another reason is the fact that one page says "there is no hero or villain in these Drow Tales, merely actors in history - wearing their masks and playing their roles". This again, implies that the Fae have largely faded into myth, and the comic is the tale one of the few remaining Fae is telling.... someone. A chronicler, most likely.
Obsidian Agent
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Gunbird » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:08 am

Obsidian Agent wrote:Actually, there's probably going to be a massive die-off of Fae. Why? Well, for starters, near the beginning of the comic, it says that "this is the world as it was through their eyes". Key word being WAS - implying past-tense. Another reason is the fact that one page says "there is no hero or villain in these Drow Tales, merely actors in history - wearing their masks and playing their roles". This again, implies that the Fae have largely faded into myth, and the comic is the tale one of the few remaining Fae is telling.... someone. A chronicler, most likely.

That would be a bummer.
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Postby django » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:26 am

Actually, there's probably going to be a massive die-off of Fae. Why? Well, for starters, near the beginning of the comic, it says that "this is the world as it was through their eyes". Key word being WAS - implying past-tense. Another reason is the fact that one page says "there is no hero or villain in these Drow Tales, merely actors in history - wearing their masks and playing their roles". This again, implies that the Fae have largely faded into myth, and the comic is the tale one of the few remaining Fae is telling.... someone. A chronicler, most likely.

While that could be the case. Drowtales back then (Before the time skip) Is differnt then it has been since the crew got cut down. All I can think of is, the ending will be a disappointment. Some of the things the post time skip was building up was kinda meh. Like the owls, who kinda didn't succeed at anything then scratching the paint job on Snads ship.
django
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Next

Return to Questions and World setting