Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki

How tall is Quain'tana actually?

How tall is Quain'tana actually?

Postby aceofAces » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:45 pm

I honestly don't know how tall Quain is. My guess is 9ft but honestly I'm not quite sure.

Anybody have a better guess?
aceofAces
Demon

Re: How tall is Quain'tana actually?

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:30 am

Someone asked Kern and the only thing he gave as an answer was that she was over seven feet tall. It was said elsewhere she was as tall as a Dark elf.
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Postby Obsidian Agent » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:50 am

I've done some scaling images - using Robert Wadlow, who actually WAS 9 feet tall - and found that honestly, Quain looks like she's closer to 7 feet tall. I'll explain. Here's a pic of Robert Wadlow, next to his father, who was around 6 feet:

Now, using the power of Photoshop, I was able to increase his father's image size to 7 (scale) feet - really, just increased height and width by 1/6 (or 16.666%, if you want to get technical), to get an estimation of how tall he'd be in proportion. Turns out, that doesn't match what the comic shows - supposedly, dokkalfar are 9 feet tall, and drow are 7 feet tall and Quain is as tall as a dokkalfar, but the comic contradicts that chart. Then, I increased his father's height to 8 feet, using the same proportions. It still didn't match.

What I DID see though, was that, when comparing the 7 foot tall father imposed next to the 6 foot tall one - was that the 7:6 ratio more accurately matched what's seen when Quain is compared to other Drow, then the 9:7 or 9:8 ratio did. The comic's visuals suggest that Quain is closer to 7 feet tall, and average Drow around 6 feet.

But then, what do I know? I'm just a grouchy ASVSer who thinks that visuals take precedence over background supplemental materials.

A video featuring Wadlow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RexHt_1ra3c
Obsidian Agent
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sarghress

Postby aceofAces » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:02 am

http://i.imgur.com/61QTDm8.jpg
Well I attempted to gauge how tall Quiain is and well it's a little rediculus to me.

Y'know considering that if she IS 9ft, then she's TALLER THAN THE FREAKING HULK

(picture is in link because of size)
aceofAces
Demon

Postby Obsidian Agent » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:06 am

aceofAces wrote:http://i.imgur.com/61QTDm8.jpg
Well I attempted to gauge how tall Quiain is and well it's a little rediculus to me.

Y'know considering that if she IS 9ft, then she's TALLER THAN THE FREAKING HULK

(picture is in link because of size)

And would be proportionately so narrow she could barely hold her own body up without a cane and leg braces - which are exactly what Wadlow needed to be able to walk.

EDIT: Not to mention, her absurdly high center of gravity would make it incredibly easy to knock her over. And a fall would fuck her up more than it would someone who was shorter.

I can accept 7 foot tall Quain. 9 foot tall Quain, though, just kinda enters narm territory for me.
Obsidian Agent
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Hellsion » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:14 am

Hellsion
Vel'akar

Clan: Valley'gurl

Postby Doom Chinchilla » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:08 am

Obsidian Agent wrote:I've done some scaling images - using Robert Wadlow, who actually WAS 9 feet tall - and found that honestly, Quain looks like she's closer to 7 feet tall. I'll explain. Here's a pic of Robert Wadlow, next to his father, who was around 6 feet:

Now, using the power of Photoshop, I was able to increase his father's image size to 7 (scale) feet - really, just increased height and width by 1/6 (or 16.666%, if you want to get technical), to get an estimation of how tall he'd be in proportion. Turns out, that doesn't match what the comic shows - supposedly, dokkalfar are 9 feet tall, and drow are 7 feet tall and Quain is as tall as a dokkalfar, but the comic contradicts that chart. Then, I increased his father's height to 8 feet, using the same proportions. It still didn't match.

What I DID see though, was that, when comparing the 7 foot tall father imposed next to the 6 foot tall one - was that the 7:6 ratio more accurately matched what's seen when Quain is compared to other Drow, then the 9:7 or 9:8 ratio did. The comic's visuals suggest that Quain is closer to 7 feet tall, and average Drow around 6 feet.

But then, what do I know? I'm just a grouchy ASVSer who thinks that visuals take precedence over background supplemental materials.

A video featuring Wadlow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RexHt_1ra3c

You know, female drowolath are 7 feet 4 inches on average, and the devesses and guards who are usually around Quain are probably on the tall side...

If Quain were "only" 7 feet tall, she would be shorter than most other female drow.
Doom Chinchilla
Dragon of the Nether

Location: Aboard the Bird-Of-The-River, sailing the Yann to Bethmoora
Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Obsidian Agent » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:41 pm

What was being said here was that the chart contradicts what's actually seen in the comic. Proportionately - hell, even when Quain is next to Zala or Ash - is that they fit better if Quain is about 7'4" and the average lath woman closer to 6'4".

Because, even IF they were 7 feet tall, and Quain 9, they wouldn't even come up to Quain's shoulder.

Not to mention the average Ssu woman is 6'7" - according to that chart, and in the scenes where Quain and that Ssu Sargh Dev'ess are together, her head is above Quain's elbow - which is where it would be if the chart were accurate.
Obsidian Agent
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Doom Chinchilla » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:00 pm

Obsidian Agent wrote:What was being said here was that the chart contradicts what's actually seen in the comic. Proportionately - hell, even when Quain is next to Zala or Ash - is that they fit better if Quain is about 7'4" and the average lath woman closer to 6'4".

Because, even IF they were 7 feet tall, and Quain 9, they wouldn't even come up to Quain's shoulder.

Not to mention the average Ssu woman is 6'7" - according to that chart, and in the scenes where Quain and that Ssu Sargh Dev'ess are together, her head is above Quain's elbow - which is where it would be if the chart were accurate.

Itan'sha Mae'yukir Sarghress may be an abnormally tall drowussu woman. Chiri and Lulianne, both petite when compared to lath women, are probably better representatives of average ssu (or mixblood) women.

What bugs me is that light elves seem no taller than ssu. Drow are supposed to be shorter than surface-born elves.
Doom Chinchilla
Dragon of the Nether

Location: Aboard the Bird-Of-The-River, sailing the Yann to Bethmoora
Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Obsidian Agent » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:07 pm

Doom Chinchilla wrote:
Obsidian Agent wrote:What was being said here was that the chart contradicts what's actually seen in the comic. Proportionately - hell, even when Quain is next to Zala or Ash - is that they fit better if Quain is about 7'4" and the average lath woman closer to 6'4".

Itan'sha Mae'yukir Sarghress may be an abnormally tall drowussu woman. Chiri and Lulianne, both petite when compared to lath women, are probably better representatives of average ssu (or mixblood) women.

What bugs me is that light elves seem no taller than ssu. Drow are supposed to be shorter than surface-born elves.

As I said, the comic itself contradicts the chart.

And another thing, if Mel - who is as tall as Quain - was 9 feet tall, Lu - who should be 6'7" would only come up to her elbows. That's not what we see.
Obsidian Agent
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Gunbird » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:56 pm

Obsidian, did you talked to Kern on the stream yesterday about the drow hight ?
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Postby Obsidian Agent » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:04 pm

I was at work for most of the livestream yesterday, so, no.
Obsidian Agent
Dragon of the Nether

Postby AnoP » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:27 am

Obsidian Agent wrote:And another thing, if Mel - who is as tall as Quain

No . Not quite.
Obsidian Agent wrote: who should be 6'7" would only come up to her elbows.

On what basis is this argued ?
Obsidian Agent wrote: That's not what we see.

Lu and Mel next to eachother. Assuming Mel is between 8.5 feet to 9 feet , and in MS Paint Lu is 199 pixels high, whilst Mel is 252 pixels high, Lu's height in feet should be
199 / 252 x B , where B is some number between 8.5 and 9
At 8.5 Lu height = 6.715 ft , 6' 8 inches
At 9 Lu height = 7.1 ft , 7' 1 inches

So instead of saying things with no evidence , could you post or at least link an image , otherwise I need to put in a lot more effort to disprove your argument then you need to just say something with no evidence.
AnoP
Vel'akar

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Obsidian Agent » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:11 am

According to the height chart (and wiki), the average Ssu woman's height is 6'7".

And the issue about Lu only coming up to about Mel's elbows if that was the case was what I got when I did the scaling with Wadlow's father in comparison to him. He's already 6 feet tall, compared to his 9 foot tall son, so, to make him 6'7", I just increased his height by a bit more than 1/12 - via Photoshop.
Obsidian Agent
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Obsidian Agent » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:19 am

The average heights given by the wiki:

Drowussu female: 6'7"
Drowolath male: 6'10"
Drowussu male: 7'0"
Drowolath female: 7'4"
Obsidian Agent
Dragon of the Nether