Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki.

Portals to other worlds?

Re: Portals to other worlds?

Postby is-ness » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:52 am

Sonor Val'Illhar'dro wrote:...But here's the key difference, there are no natural anti-mana bearing creatures in the DT universe. The basic biology of the fae creatures is to produce mana, not anti-mana. All energy possessing beings in the DT universe are ether bearing creatures. A demon can possess a mana producing vessel, but the cells of the vessel are hardwired to produce mana, not anti-mana. Yes, the demon has a consistent energy source to draw from but they will produce no anti-mana. Demons can only consume and cannot produce mana themselves in their new bodies (since the nether is now exclusively using the body as an energy source, there is no ambient mana to release).

I don't think it works that way. I don't think there's such a thing as "anti-mana."

Ether and Nether are auras with the only difference between the two being place of origin. Mana is the name for the energy that sustains the aura, and all aura-bearing creatures must have a mana-producing body in their world of origin. Otherwise, how do Nether beings exist in their home worlds? Ambient mana occurs when a bunch of mana-producing beings live and die in the same place over a long period of time because the body releases mana at death and the released mana just kinda hangs there, joining up with other released mana until you get a build-up of ambient mana. Because worlds may have lots of different mana-producing bodies or very few, worlds may be mana-rich or mana-poor.

All auras, regardless of origin, consume mana to survive. Ether auras do this too, as evidenced when Drow go to the surface. Because there is no ambient mana on the surface, the Drows' Ether auras must consume only the mana their bodies produce. This leads to fast mana depletion, and consistent mana depletion over time leads to aging. Nether auras do not interact any differently with mana than Ether does, the only difference is that when Nether is summoned, it is robbed of its mana-producing body. With no other sources of mana, it must consume ambient mana or attach itself to another mana-producing body before it dies. That's why demons are drawn to mana, and why tainting happens. Merging seems to make tainting permanent by forcing the Ether and Nether auras attached to the one body to co-exist. This is also why Diva looks like a demon to Chiri; her aura was detached similarly to how a demon is summoned and then reattached to a body that isn't her own.

This theory also explains how we can exist as demons in DT but as magicless humans on earth. Our world must be very mana-poor with no ambient mana anywhere. Either our mana-producing bodies only produce enough mana to sustain our auras, or only a very few of us actually possess mana-producing bodies. This results in a constant state of mana-depletion which explains why our world does not have magic and why we age, at least according to the DT world.

ThatGuyThisGuy wrote:Also i have a question: Is nether the natural state of whatever energy is in the other worlds or is it the result of transformation that effects the energy when it is brought through the gates? Every other universe having the same type of energy and the DT world being the only place that has "ether" mana seems odd.

My theory resolves this problem. Nether would be the aura that gets summoned, and mana is the same across all worlds including Drowtales. Ether and Nether are just differentiating where the aura came from (Ether=homeworld, Nether=outworld). So the energy would be the same no matter where it was from, but it might exist in differing quantities.
is-ness
Tainted

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:05 am

is-ness wrote:
ThatGuyThisGuy wrote:Also i have a question: Is nether the natural state of whatever energy is in the other worlds or is it the result of transformation that effects the energy when it is brought through the gates? Every other universe having the same type of energy and the DT world being the only place that has "ether" mana seems odd.

My theory resolves this problem. Nether would be the aura that gets summoned, and mana is the same across all worlds including Drowtales. Ether and Nether are just differentiating where the aura came from (Ether=homeworld, Nether=outworld). So the energy would be the same no matter where it was from, but it might exist in differing quantities.

You know what I have another idea. There are other worlds with ether mana and maybe even some ultra exotic form of energy or whatnot, but Nether summoning only opens up to the Netherworlds. There are a innumerable number of non nether worlds but only the Nether worlds are accessible to the drow. Or maybe is it that there is a method but it is just not known yet?
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Postby aceofAces » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:54 am

ThatGuyThisGuy wrote:
is-ness wrote:

You know what I have another idea. There are other worlds with ether mana and maybe even some ultra exotic form of energy or whatnot, but Nether summoning only opens up to the Netherworlds. There are a innumerable number of non nether worlds but only the Nether worlds are accessible to the drow. Or maybe is it that there is a method but it is just not known yet?

What you mean like Outsiders?
aceofAces
Demon

Previous

Return to Questions and World Setting