Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki

What Happens After Death?

What Happens After Death?

Postby Nori » Tue May 26, 2015 9:37 am

Given recent events in the main archive, I've really been wondering what awaits drow after they die lately.

Does their aura just dissipate and get absorbed by other mana-bearing creatures around them? Do they get reincarnated or something similar?(for some reason summoning stones always made me feel like reincarnation was viable, but that those auras had been restrained from the cycle, no clue how I got that idea though :/) Do they enter the nether plain upon death to become a demon in another world, or is that only for entities that come into DIRECT contact with a summoning gate? What happens to Ether that's been consumed, either by demons or mana-eating plants?(I think that's what the death flowers are?)

I haven't been able to find any real solid references to the afterlife, or lack there-of, for the Drow on the wiki or in the main archive((granted I didn't look THAT incredibly hard)), other than the ancestor stone that Sarnel communed with and Sharess' general existence in the nether realms I guess(but pretty sure Sharess is the exemption to the rules not the norm) So I'd be super appreciative for any page links/podcasts/newsposts/your own guesses/anything really on the subject :>!
Nori
Nether Spawn

Clan: Jaal'darya

Re: What Happens After Death?

Postby SFI » Tue May 26, 2015 9:40 am

Well, according to Waes & Naal, I guess the dissipation-theory comes pretty close since Naal talks about fading at one point.

Then again, Waes mentions 'rebirth' though I think that was meant more proverbially as in 'the race gets reborn to live in peace under the moons'.
SFI
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Junglefowl26 » Tue May 26, 2015 2:58 pm

The old world setting, at least, solidly establishes that there is no afterlife or reincarnation. Unless preserved as a summon, a soul just dies not long after the body does, and even being a summon isn't much of an existence.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Obsidian Agent » Tue May 26, 2015 3:25 pm

The new world setting, however, seems more ambiguous. The Am'saag, for example, believe in an afterlife - even if Chelians don't. And Sandaur said "your essence will never find the Goddess", implying that he believed in some form of afterlife.

Who knows, really.
Obsidian Agent
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Pitdragon » Thu May 28, 2015 4:37 am

From Chapter 47, page 62 - Shala's Funeral - Kern commented on this a bit in relation to Chiri's words of "the remembered."

Kern wrote:Kau, Sarnel and Ariel get to do their farewells to the fifth member of their squad. Faen didn't speak for she probably couldn't.
Chiri used the word "remembered" when referring to the dead Shala. The term "departed" during such ceremony refer to the belief that a soul is going somewhere. But for them there would be no such belief. Much of their historical figures are mythical. Even their pantheon is made of historical figures, some of which were met by people still alive to this day due to their extraordinary lifespan.
Now Shala will not live on in people's memory. Her imprint won't be kept as a summon either. While Ariel praise Shala willingness to fight with them knowing her ancestry go straight down to major historical figures , the recent war has taken a toll on her importance. Her grand mother is dead, her mother was branded traitor and now her clan is deemed to have lost the war. So in the end the only impact Shala will leave is upon those that are close to her.

So I gather the Drow do not believe in afterlives, just long ones. Sharess is an exception because she went to the Nether worlds, a place where they think a detached aura can continue to exist given that Demons are mostly aura-based beings that cannot survive long in the Drow world. And given how powerful she was to the Drow, some believe she still exists to this day, just as beings such as Diva lived over a thousand years. Though some think not anymore, that like Diva she may have succumbed at some point. Nether cults probably came about because of the desire to know the answer and understand those realms and one's ability to survive in them. I'm not sure what reason the Kyorl believe she could influence this world, with the "visions from the Goddess" that the Seers claim to have, but they do believe that much.

Chelians probably think those that believe in an afterlife are primitive like the goblinoids. The Am'saag are one of a greater people that would seem "quaintly" barbaric, and therefore would probably be looked down on for having "quaint" beliefs. And those "quaint" barbarians probably think the Chelians are dumb prisses, because why wouldn't they want to be on an eternal wild hunt of awesome after this life?

Long ago, Kern sort of indicated that there wasn't an afterlife at all, but he's sort of backed away from such statements. Most authors do, as even if there was one it often is like the possibility of one in the real world - it has no effect on the living if it exists or not. So it has no effect on the story, and it is not worth saying either way, especially if it comforts readers to want there to be.
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Postby AnoP » Thu May 28, 2015 8:11 am

Pitdragon wrote:So I gather the Drow do not believe in afterlives, just long ones.

There is also the 9 glories thing, in which Sarnel believes that his ancestors are in a giant rock. It's possible that some believe that goddesses are retained within them.
Although that seems to be something that can or can not happen to you (judging by Sandaur, and also what is currently revealed about summoning). No aura storage, no retirement to the giant rock.
AnoP
Vel'akar

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Nori » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:14 pm

Thank you AnoP, Pitdragon, Obsidian Agent, Junglefowl, and SFI, super informative responses and very much so appreciated!((seriously though, thank you guys, I'm terrible at searching for this stuff and you all helped a butt-ton *3*))

Always interesting to see what stance on the afterlife creators take within their series, makes sense Kern would go with the more pragmatic "no-one-will-ever-know"/"there's nothing" styled afterlife...I was definitely hoping for something a bit more concrete and comforting for the departed characters in the main archive to be super honest, but ultimately they're fictional and I'm one of those readers who's comforted by the thought there's SOMETHING after death sooooo imma keep rolling with reincarnation as my head-canon, like Pit said ;A;

I think Kern made the best choice though considering the setting, it's more effective to (mostly) please everyone if you just leave it ambiguous and the Drowtales fanbase is so divided on world-setting interpretation as it is(from my perspective) Idk how well people would take to a concrete statement on the afterlife
Last edited by Nori on Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nori
Nether Spawn

Postby Smokehammer » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:07 am

Fiction or non-fiction, those who dont believe in an afterlife are in for a very rude awakening. XD No I dont really want to start a fight, but there's nothing stopping you as a reader from thinking there is an afterlife regardless of what the characters in any story have for religious practices. In fact, I still say the beauty of fiction is that, if a character you like "dies" in the story there's nothing stopping you from 'retconning" their death out of existence with your own imagination since you cant kill people who never lived. That's why Daydream is really nice. If you dont have the wherewithal to either make your own comics or the means to have them drawn, you can always see if can convince others to play along with your "what if" for characters who bite it in the mainstory if youre really attached to them.
Smokehammer
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:24 am

Smoke makes a valid point, any character can live (or die) in head-canon depending on what the individual wants. I wonder if that's the reason why D&D seems to have thrown up their hands and made death a transitory thing (might have stemmed from the bad press they got in the '80s too). They have no less than five spells that can bring a dead person back to life (Raise Dead, Reincarnation, Resurrection, True Resurrection, and Wish), and even if you don't, the dead person's spirit goes to their deity's plane, and with the right magic, a living person can travel to such planes and might meet the dead person's spirit. There's also Speak With Dead spell, which implies that a person's spirit might be tied to the remains (or maybe opens a channel to the outer plane where the spirit resides). This preponderance of magical ways to bring a dead person back to life, or at least talk with them, practically makes a mockery of the finality of death.

In my own story, raising the dead is quite a bit more involved than a mid-to-high level spell any cleric (or mage) can cast. I've had only one very important character die and be brought back (requiring the combined effort of a matriarch using a holy artifact and the will of several hundred people singing their hearts out for that one to happen), and a subsequent attempt by bad guys to steal that staff and get the protagonist (a high level cleric) to use it to bring back the arch-villain ended in spectacular failure. Death is a prominent entity in my story, and I don't want it cheapened by making it ephemeral (which indirectly cheapens the value of life itself).
Basileus_Ioannis
Demon

Postby Doom Chinchilla » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:54 pm

Basileus_Ioannis wrote: I wonder if that's the reason why D&D seems to have thrown up their hands and made death a transitory thing (might have stemmed from the bad press they got in the '80s too). They have no less than five spells that can bring a dead person back to life (Raise Dead, Reincarnation, Resurrection, True Resurrection, and Wish)

You forgot Miracle...
Doom Chinchilla
Dragon of the Nether

Location: Aboard the Bird-Of-The-River, sailing the Yann to Bethmoora
Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:22 am

Doom Chinchilla wrote:
Basileus_Ioannis wrote: I wonder if that's the reason why D&D seems to have thrown up their hands and made death a transitory thing (might have stemmed from the bad press they got in the '80s too). They have no less than five spells that can bring a dead person back to life (Raise Dead, Reincarnation, Resurrection, True Resurrection, and Wish)

You forgot Miracle...

SIX...The SIX weapons are... :V Thanks Doom! *wee*
Basileus_Ioannis
Demon

Postby Mizu » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:35 pm

Basileus_Ioannis wrote:Smoke makes a valid point, any character can live (or die) in head-canon depending on what the individual wants. I wonder if that's the reason why D&D seems to have thrown up their hands and made death a transitory thing (might have stemmed from the bad press they got in the '80s too). They have no less than five spells that can bring a dead person back to life (Raise Dead, Reincarnation, Resurrection, True Resurrection, and Wish), and even if you don't, the dead person's spirit goes to their deity's plane, and with the right magic, a living person can travel to such planes and might meet the dead person's spirit. There's also Speak With Dead spell, which implies that a person's spirit might be tied to the remains (or maybe opens a channel to the outer plane where the spirit resides). This preponderance of magical ways to bring a dead person back to life, or at least talk with them, practically makes a mockery of the finality of death.

In my own story, raising the dead is quite a bit more involved than a mid-to-high level spell any cleric (or mage) can cast. I've had only one very important character die and be brought back (requiring the combined effort of a matriarch using a holy artifact and the will of several hundred people singing their hearts out for that one to happen), and a subsequent attempt by bad guys to steal that staff and get the protagonist (a high level cleric) to use it to bring back the arch-villain ended in spectacular failure. Death is a prominent entity in my story, and I don't want it cheapened by making it ephemeral (which indirectly cheapens the value of life itself).

Have you tried Exalted? It's setting has a pretty interesting afterlife. Originally it was straight up 'your soul gets scrubbed and reused' reincarnation but then some people did some things that broke the system so now it is possible for a soul to resist reincarnation and awaken in the Underworld as a ghost (which kinda sucks but some of people prefer to it to the cessation of their identity, can't let things go even if they wanted to, or are cursed). Also, true resurrection is totally impossible.
Mizu
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Return to Questions and World setting