Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki

What draws you to DrowTales' setting?

What draws you to DrowTales' setting?

Postby Obyren » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:08 am

It can be any part of the setting.

I appreciate how humans aren't overly focused on. It's a problem that in Warcraft, humans are so domineering in the Alliance to the point that it comes off as a kingdom ruled by a human king (Varian Wrynn). Even though humans have been massacred for decades (The Horde Invasions, The Scourge And Burning Legion Rampages, The Lich King's War, The Cataclysm).
Obyren
Demon

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Re: What draws you to DrowTales' setting?

Postby Dalvyserran » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:10 pm

Humans aren't overpowered everyman race, and drow aren't the typical evil type; both of which I like
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby is-ness » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:04 pm

I like how the story focuses on the world as a whole, as opposed to just following one small group of "heroes" who do heroic things and ultimately defeat the very definitely evil overlord. Drowtales is really a story about the drow, with no pure heroes and no pure villains. Those who could be considered good have huge flaws that prevent them from fitting into the Hero archetype and those who could be considered villains have some significant mitigating factors. To me, it adds realism and I like that we get to see the world through multiple viewpoints.
is-ness
Tainted

Postby Sonor Val'Illhar'dro » Fri May 01, 2015 2:01 am

The system of magic is so well developed!

And I'm a sucker for political intrigue which DT does very well
Sonor Val'Illhar'dro
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby partner555 » Fri May 01, 2015 11:03 pm

Well, I really connected with Ariel in the first part of the story, and then, the political intrigue kept me in for the rest of it.
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Khora2150 » Sat May 02, 2015 3:05 pm

Really like Snadhya, its nice to see a villain who is frequently successful. Plus her narcissistic behaviour is both amusing and closer to my own personality than the other characters xD

Also have a mild weak spot for the Belds, and leaving a mark on a story. Which is easier to do for a clan that doesn't get much time in the spotlight, because one can then reshape it to something else.
Khora2150
Demon

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Smokehammer » Wed May 13, 2015 1:44 am

Originally because it was about drow, but I've kept reading it because the art is excellent and the way the story moves from frame to frame is better than in any comic Ive ever seen(and Ive read many). Kern has a real gift for page flow.
Smokehammer
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby Nori » Tue May 26, 2015 9:18 am

Sooo many things, I'm sorry for the great wall of text ahead of time but it didn't feel fair to just simplify it to a few things ;A;, there's so much variety to what makes Drowtales great imho.

There's:
    Political intrigue and the entire clan system in general
    super vibrant colors/brush strokes in the later pages with sprawling environments and a great deal of care put in to world setting((I really got sucked in around chapter 20 and the sheer variety of landscapes was awe-inspiring *3*))
    a more grey-on-grey morality to characters and their portrayals(other than maybe Jerkhol and Kalki/Snad I guess, but I'd still argue they're just a really dark ass shade of grey)
    Homosexuality/Bisexuality is actually portrayed and socially tolerable(it's always odd to me how few fantasy settings will touch on that :/)
    actually developed female characters
    the variety of real world cultural influences on the setting
    The progression of time & watching the main cast age from childhood to adulthood
    super developed system of magic with it's own interesting limitations and rules
Nori
Nether Spawn

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Torrin » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:33 pm

Some of my favorite things about Drowtales:

1) At the time, the most attention I'd ever seen to the artwork in a webcomic. A full - color, fully immersive world. Since then, I've discovered others that are comparable, but not better, and none of those update more than twice a week.

2) The story, like the art, is fully immersive. I fell in love with the main characters from the first page I saw: Ariel, the confused child who has no idea about the truth of who her family really are. Syphile, the worst babysitter in the history of fiction - and yet a tragic heroine in her own right. And so many, many others. It's the story of many people, and it maintains the illusion that any random nameless character could become the protagonist of the next story arc. These people are fantasy monsters, and yet they are just as human as, well, humans. And not in just a comedic parody of fantasy, either, but in a realistic way.

3) The world of the clans, each with their own culture, architecture, etc.
Torrin
Vel'akar

Postby katrover » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:48 am

The beautiful art. The best I've ever seen in a webcomic - or any comic, for that matter.
katrover
Nether Spawn

Postby LtTora » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:57 am

Its unpredictable, *heehee* I mean come on First Quain was baning Ash now she's in bed with Zala?! I mean who really saw that comeing? Mel from what I can tell has disowned Ariel and now doesn't care about her anymore, Chiri and Shan have more or less deserted their clan. Kharla is gone :C Naal is back, you get the idea!
LtTora
Nether Seed

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby SerNotSoBraveAlot » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:22 pm

It seemed gritty and had an interesting way in which the story progressed. In other words characters that seemed minor suddenly became (or were revealed to be) major figures (the slave girl being Diva'trika for instance) and it felt like it was really building up to something awesome.

I say this all in past-tense because the writing is stiff and needs fleshing out, characters can be very inconsistent and build-up often amounts to very little in the way of events and character development.
SerNotSoBraveAlot
Nether Seed

Postby wolfdancer95 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:32 am

I'm drawn to the drowtales world because of how so richly built it is. There is so much backstory and so many characters that are all connected somehow and it allows for a lot of speculation and theories on what's going to happen. What's going to pan out, what's going to falter, who is going to die.

And as Nori mentioned, how normal it makes bisexuality/ homosexuality. usually in stories where there is a sexual divergance it's used to highlight how depraved a culture is, but because of how fleshed out the relationships are it's quite the opposite. Faen and Ariel getting together? and being in a healthy relationship? WHAT.

And the flip on gender expectations of women being in positions of power while men are shafted into traditionally 'feminine roles' and have to work exceptionally hard to get into positions of power, the parallel to real life is just so amazing because that's exactly how it is, only reversed.

it's different from anything I've ever read before, and I've been with it for so long I'll be sticking with it until the end.
wolfdancer95
Vel'akar

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Saffron Walden » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:03 am

Political complexity illustrated lavishly. The illustrations make the subject matter feel alive.
Saffron Walden
Nether Seed

Postby Saffron Walden » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:05 am

I also like how the matriarchy isn't just real life reversed, it's more complex and subtle. Too many fictional matriarchies feature people who spend all their time talking about how to oppress males and being really celebratory of that fact like it's their cultures' only feature, but it's here portrayed realistically.
Saffron Walden
Nether Seed

Next

Return to Questions and World setting