Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki.

Nalsarkoth Side story

Nalsarkoth Side story

Postby AnoP » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:02 pm

Hi there. I am planning to do a Nalsarkoth side story (as in done by another artist, and updating concurrently to the main storyline). However I have a lot of stuff going on, which means I don't know if I'll have enough spare cash to justify the expense. I could probably guarantee $4'000 US even in worst case scenarios, however even that is fairly tentative, as I might chose not to go ahead at all. If I chose to go ahead despite setbacks , I'm thinking it will at the least not come online for many many months, and will likely be fairly short (as in ~20ish pages long). If things go well it could arrive much sooner and be substantially longer.

Now that I've got the annoying don't get your hopes up too high stuff out of the way, I have some queries for anyone reading this;
- How interested is anyone and everyone in this ? Lots of interest would help me justify the expense.
- If you are interested what sort of stuff about the Nalsarkoth are people interested in seeing (warning thread may contain spoilers because of this . . . which you might have made 8P ) This could be incorporated into the ideas sent to the writer, as I'm hoping it will mostly not be written by me but by Kern .
- Is anyone else interested in paying some money for the artist ? This is not really very important to my decision as to going ahead or not on the idea so don't worry about that (unless there is a gigantic amount of money, in which case it would just go ahead regardless of my decision) however it would help do it faster and longer (hopefully better) in the case where I could afford it. Feel free to communicate this info via PM as opposed to publicly. (to avoid hypothetical unpleasantness)

Well let me know what you think.
Last edited by AnoP on Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnoP
Vel'akar

Clan: Illhar'dro

Re: Nalsarkoth Side story

Postby Junglefowl26 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:05 pm

-I, for one, am very very interested. They are my favorite clan

-Well, the Nal are noted for their ties to the surface, so a plot concerning the colonization process would make sense.

Though personally, I would find it more interesting to see how the Nals would handle the current political situation. Admittedly, that situation will itself have radically altered by the time any such project goes up, but even as things are now there are a lot of factors affecting Nal decisions:
*They have shown to have fairly friendly relations with the Illhardro and have common interests in colonization
*At the same time, I have a hard time believing that the two biggest merchant clans don't have some kind of economic rivalry
*They have good reason to dislike Mimians, so Sillice's new alliance should motivate them
*On the other hand, the Kavahini are a newer clan that wasn't involved in their exile, and joined with the Sharen and Sarghress specifically to gain an advantage over the older and more powerful clans - presumably the Nals' enemies.
*From what I understand, there are connections to the Sarghress as well - the Nal heir is at least a close friend with one of the top Sarghress advisers, and they were both young clans struggling for acceptance in Chel around the same time IIRC. Again, both are involved in the surface trade, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Nals bought many of the relics that the Highland Raiders collected.
*At the same time, they have been competing for districts, and their relic hunting groups have a rivalry (albeit a usually friendly one, judging by Relic Hunters)

- Alas, I don't have much money, and most of it goes to my school, so I am not sure I will be able to contribute anything to this project. :( :c

Good luck on the project!
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Dalvyserran » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:54 pm

As far as I can see, there's hardly any workable material in MA to use as an anchor. Most of what we can assume is fan stuff from RH or DD or ptp. There's only three non cameo characters in the clan and only one is significant--the illhar'ess. That means you'll have to make up a ton of brand New faces for people to memorize. Sure you can fill the space with previously appearing cameos, but who remembers them?

However. I think a good approach is a 10 page side story explaining Why they left chel. Explaining their connection to the surface. But not deviating too far from the main plot of the war in chel--maybe throw in Hermionne and black sun troubles
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Junglefowl26 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:43 am

^ In all fairness, the same can be said of the Beld: 3 non-cameos, one of which is dead, and the other very far away, only leaving the Illharess. They have been a bit more involved in the war, but not much, and almost entirely off screen.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Dalvyserran » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:50 am

The Beldrobbaen at least have had a role in the war story for a backburner clan, and some of their characters played a major part in several chapters of the comic. The Nal'sarkoth don't have any major presence in MA that I can think of, other than some words from Rel'lumina and the boy siring Shinae's dead baby. We know more about the Belds than we do the Nals to make a whole chapter-- and there lies the problem... What material can you pull from MA to use as the launching point, without going into the fan stuff? Not much. That's why I suggest a short story about why they decided to leave Chel and haul ass to the surface.
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Postby AnoP » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:18 am

So to summarise ;
-The colonisation process, and or their reaction to the situation in Chel

-Explain why they decided to leave Chel and haul arse to the surface, and explore their surface connections (also some problems with Black sun and/or Hermiones)

There seems to be some inter relationship between those ideas.

One slight quibble is that the Nalsarkoth aren't confirmed as leaving Chel , in the Main archive at least (assuming Dalvy is saying they already left), only of closing up. What closing up means I don't know. *hmmm*
AnoP
Vel'akar

Postby Khora2150 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:47 pm

On 21/04/2015, at 10:38, Yan "Kern" Gagné wrote:
> Sarogo took a page from you. He wanted to sponsor a chapter too. Nalsarkoth one though

On 21/04/2015, at 12:41, Yan "Kern" Gagné wrote:
> there's no possible stories for them, only two character ever introduced. I don,t think regular readers would appreciate being thrown all new faces all new story point

Well, they do say that imitation is the best form of flattery.

Seriously though, unfortunately, I doubt I could say that I would contribute to this for reasons above. There just isn't any foundation to build them off, or a direction they could take that would be resolved in ~20 pages.

A black sun chapter on the other hand, would be fascinating, especially after the timeskip happens. Given there are any number of tribes that we do not know about, and the potential for a great Khan esque leader to gather them all under a single banner.

However if there was a compelling plot related reason to make this work, well that would change things, for me at least.
Khora2150
Demon

Postby Smokehammer » Wed May 13, 2015 2:01 am

I think Anop seems to be shooting for a side story TO flesh the clan out and give them some substance and have it go in the side story archive. In which case it would be like a nice semi-detailed set of World Setting add-ons and Im all for that because, you know ....

WORLD BUILDING IS ALWAYS TITS!

(but yeah a cross over Nals vs BS because of their ties to the PtP guys could be a cool path to pursue for them -if thats what theyre doing)
Smokehammer
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby Junglefowl26 » Wed May 13, 2015 8:30 am

Smokehammer wrote:I think Anop seems to be shooting for a side story TO flesh the clan out and give them some substance and have it go in the side story archive. In which case it would be like a nice semi-detailed set of World Setting add-ons and Im all for that because, you know ....

WORLD BUILDING IS ALWAYS TITS!

(but yeah a cross over Nals vs BS because of their ties to the PtP guys could be a cool path to pursue for them -if thats what theyre doing)

On that note, I find the whole Nals vs Mimians thing pretty interesting as well, which also showed up in Ptp a bit.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby AnoP » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:11 pm

Well never say never, however I don't believe this is going ahead. Thank you to everyone for their contributions however.
AnoP
Vel'akar

Postby Khora2150 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:49 pm

Never say never.

I do believe you have your opening for a Nal chapter in the future. With the Illharess dead, it would be chaos, and the remaining daughters can stake claims of their own, move to the surface or even try bargining with goblin races.

Would be rather amusing to see them ally with a halme kingdom against invading herms. Many directions this can go.
Khora2150
Demon

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:08 am

Khora2150 wrote:Would be rather amusing to see them ally with a halme kingdom against invading herms. Many directions this can go.

I am pretty sure at this point there aren't any Halme kingdoms left. What i have gotten is that everything north of the wall that isn't hidden away or has a heavy drow presence is under Hermione control. http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=8533 http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=8536
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Postby Metzger » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:50 am

ThatGuyThisGuy wrote:
Khora2150 wrote:Would be rather amusing to see them ally with a halme kingdom against invading herms. Many directions this can go.

I am pretty sure at this point there aren't any Halme kingdoms left. What i have gotten is that everything north of the wall that isn't hidden away or has a heavy drow presence is under Hermione control. http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=8533 http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=8536

Couldn't they just head to Haltonreibe? a mercantile city like that would fit the Val'Nal'Sarkoth like a glove
Metzger
Dragon of the Nether

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:56 pm

I am not sure even they still stand as its said the Hermiones have begun to push south of the wall sometime ago and have been ravaging the south. Which Haltontriebe being one of the biggest openings in the wall and being heavily associated with the Drow while not having significant protective presence from them would probably be a prime target for the Hermiones.

We should probably ask Kern if Haltontriebe is still standing free from Hermione control as of late.
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Postby AnoP » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:33 am

I think I am going to be starting this up again. It should go for 20ish pages. Provided no disasters happen it could be expanded from there after that. ;)
AnoP
Vel'akar

Next

Return to Questions and World Setting