Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki.

Why are the Drow bad at sneaking?

Re: Why are the Drow bad at sneaking?

Postby Catriana » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:15 am

A few reasons why drow would want to avoid using humes/embrei:

1) drow live underground in high and in low places that require gear/manatech to navigate. Let us not forget the only reason Vaelia was able to remain a raider for so long was because of the fae she's been utilizing for years. I doubt grappling hooks will get you into places like the Beldrobbaen tower without notice. They may not be able to sense them, but patrols do have eyes and ears.

2) humes are not naturally stronger than drow, so they would have to undergo significant/special training to develop styles that would allow them to either overcompensate or use their smaller builds and speeds to take down much larger opponents.

3) That training requires time and money, and other races do not seem to have the longevity of drow. Within a blink of an eye the emberi would be useless due to old age. It's an unnecessary money sink no matter how promising the potential student.

4) The drow think anything not a drow is grossly unintelligent and incompetent, which enhances point #3.
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:28 am

I have heard that the sarghress and some other factions use ferals as spys and scouts, but many of the points you brought up still stand and or exacerbated in that case.
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Postby Catriana » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:57 pm

ThatGuyThisGuy wrote:I have heard that the sarghress and some other factions use ferals as spys and scouts, but many of the points you brought up still stand and or exacerbated in that case.

Ah, apologies, I was referring more to them being assassins/ninjas. I didn't make that at all clear. Scouts and spies would be better under certain circumstances, though.
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Kaiser » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:57 am

There are certain martial arts styles and techniques that specifically deal with people of small stature taking down much larger opponents. The trick is to cripple one of their legs or take their feet out from under them. It doesn't really matter how much training or experience you have, if you've got a injured leg, you're pretty much a big walking target. And if you lose your footing and fall on your ass, you're going to be stunned for a few seconds which is more than enough time for someone to crawl all over you and stab you in your vulnerable areas. It's not easy, but it can certainly be done especially if said human has the element of surprise and the Drow underestimates them.

In reality the Drow's height would make them lumbering and slow compared to humans. Once you reach a certain size, your stature is both your biggest advantage and disadvantage.
Kaiser
Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Obyren » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:10 am

The in-comic heights aren't consistent with the supplemental info. :S

Then again, look at the heights and weights of the Street fighter characters. Cammy White being 5'5 inches and 101 pounds?
Last edited by Obyren on Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Obyren
Demon

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Obyren » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:08 am

So many JP fighting games, along with JP comics and animations, are TERRIBLE when it comes to body builds. I already pointed out how Cammy's weight is too low for a woman with her build. Siegfried/Nightmare from Soul Calibur is 5'6 inches and weighs 154 pounds while looking like this, and so many of the builds in Tekken have weights that are too low (see Julia Chang).

One can wonder if the ones who wrote the body build stats for those examples have ever weighed themselves before. Siegfried and Cammy's builds still baffle me to this day since neither of them match with each character's concept arts, sprites, and models.
Obyren
Demon

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Doom Chinchilla » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:04 pm

Obyren wrote:So many JP fighting games, along with JP comics and animations, are TERRIBLE when it comes to body builds. I already pointed out how Cammy's weight is too low for a woman with her build. Siegfried/Nightmare from Soul Calibur is 5'6 inches and weighs 154 pounds while looking like this, and so many of the builds in Tekken have weights that are too low (see Julia Chang).

One can wonder if the ones who wrote the body build stats for those examples have ever weighed themselves before. Siegfried and Cammy's builds still baffle me to this day since neither of them match with each character's concept arts, sprites, and models.

In real life there are many more people with fat or slim builds than people with athletic builds, so the general public isn't familiar with the weight of athletic characters. Those game designers who make those height and weight charts know that, for most people, athletic = healthy = slim, so they give the characters slim people weights.

That said, men at least LOOK muscular. Comic's, movie's and game's female fighters often have a fashion model's body build rather than an athletic build.
Last edited by Doom Chinchilla on Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doom Chinchilla
Dragon of the Nether

Location: Aboard the Bird-Of-The-River, sailing the Yann to Bethmoora

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:32 pm

Once again we can just ask kern later today about this.

EDIT

I asked kern during the live stream and at first he just said it was just supposed to be a different world but when i pressed further about the issue with there being life that looks like the product of earthlike conditions he just went onto a(silly) diatribe about how they aren't actually like x feet tall but something much less which even though it was quite silly i am sure it was supposed to show he really doesn't think the height chart is just something not to be taken seriously.

My point here isn't just based off that one talk i also heard some things earlier on another live stream about how he actually isn't totally sure about quains height with the only outlier being given is that she is above 7 feet despite earlier statements about her being the size of her dark elf ancestors which would peg her around 9 feet according to the height chart which the incongruity between such estimates along with the innumerable inconsistencies in the comic leads to me thinking that my point is reasonable.
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Postby Kaiser » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:16 pm

So I guess the whole nine foot tall Dark Elf thing is something we've moved on from then?

Makes sense, the only way something with remotely humanoid physiology with that stature could move without being a lumbering glacier would be if they weighed much less than humans of comparable size. Of course, their height coupled with their low weight would mean they'd get blown over in a strong wind and they'd have trouble putting much force behind their attacks because it'd be hard for such low density creatures to gain much muscle mass.

Like Obsidian Agent said, a 7'4" ish Quain'tana solves most of these problems while still being imposing looking. 9' tall Quain'tana breaks her ankle every time she takes a step unless she weighs almost nothing for her stature.
Kaiser
Demon

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:41 pm

I would guess so, but i actually didn't mention the numbers given in the chart specifically and i just said the heights of the characters where absurd. In retrospect it would have been a much better idea to just mention the height chart exclusively and challenge it's numbers in particular.
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Postby Gunbird » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:46 pm

Wait!! What monster is this!!? I was just asking why the Drow(a lot of times they don't) suck at stealth.

Ok jokes aside, I got my answer and then some. Thanks guys.
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:17 am

Gunbird wrote:Wait!! What monster is this!!? I was just asking why the Drow(a lot of times they don't) suck at stealth.

Ok jokes aside, I got my answer and then some. Thanks guys.

You can'y expect us to stay on topic can you?
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Postby Gunbird » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:42 am

ThatGuyThisGuy wrote:You can'y expect us to stay on topic can you?

Nope. The internet funny like that.
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:57 am

WWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT *hmmm* :S *wutno*
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Postby Gunbird » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:33 pm

ThatGuyThisGuy wrote:WWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT *hmmm* :S *wutno*

I was shying that people can easily get off topic on a forum.

I got another question.
Do you the Drow know anything about camouflage? It would be a good to understand that stuff when there "up stars."

I making a cameo that uses a wood sorcery powered Gilly suit. I think i'll drop the mana power part and just give him a normal suit.

……..Wait a minute, I'm getting off topic. :B
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Previous

Return to Questions and World Setting