Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki.

Modern day Drow

Modern day Drow

Postby Gunbird » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:16 pm

Hello everybody. I don't know if this question was asked before,but what would the Drow be like in a modern day setting?

Lets say that a deserter (that is similar to Path to power) have driven the drow out to the surface. Over a long prod of time they and other Fae lose almost all of there mana. The arts were replaced with science and technology and the legends of large undergone cites that were powered by magic were just that, stores.

So, what would the drow be like today? What would there culture, economy, religion, politics, and other things will be like? Will they live in a single country or will be all over the place. Are they going to major player like the US and China? Or will they be in a 3rd world "Banana republic"?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please note me if someone already asks this question on the form. Thank you.
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Re: Modern day Drow

Postby Dalvyserran » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:01 pm

WEll, I've always pictured some of my characters as imitating certain nationalities, according to the real world culture they borrow from in DT. Their clans not necessarily from those countries, but the individual drows gravitating towards the cultures. For example, my Sul Min'issya is based in India and imitates the Bollywood lifestyle. Fast cars, jewelry everywhere, movie roles, hard partying etc. My Beldrobbaen San'dellora, is based in the West Indies (specifically, Guyanna). She's Indian like Min'issya but of a south american/african flavor--reserved and old fashioned. They're friends and have the same kind of old world customs, but act on them completely different.

There is also the idea of Earth Age that we tried to entertain in daydream... WE tried to place the underworld directly underneath the continents. But, people bitched and it failed though. I like to think that the drow clans ally themselves to the world powers, whereas individual drows go where they feel is best, like mercs or people looking to set up their own roots.
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: Modern day Drow

Postby Gunbird » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:43 pm

Dalvyserran wrote:WEll, I've always pictured some of my characters as imitating certain nationalities, according to the real world culture they borrow from in DT. Their clans not necessarily from those countries, but the individual drows gravitating towards the cultures. For example, my Sul Min'issya is based in India and imitates the Bollywood lifestyle. Fast cars, jewelry everywhere, movie roles, hard partying etc. My Beldrobbaen San'dellora, is based in the West Indies (specifically, Guyanna). She's Indian like Min'issya but of a south american/african flavor--reserved and old fashioned. They're friends and have the same kind of old world customs, but act on them completely different.

There is also the idea of Earth Age that we tried to entertain in daydream... WE tried to place the underworld directly underneath the continents. But, people bitched and it failed though. I like to think that the drow clans ally themselves to the world powers, whereas individual drows go where they feel is best, like mercs or people looking to set up their own roots.

Yep. It sounds like Earth Age went pretty bad. But I'm not trying to start a Modern military vs Magic debate. Though I do like military stuff

Edit:Sorry for the rushed response.I had to go to work. :(

Edit 2: Ah..Indian. The land of Hinduism, the concept of zero, Wootz steel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wootz_steel ,shampoo, and a tank that is too heavy for it own good. http://www.military-today.com/tanks/arjun_mk2.htm
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Return to Questions and World Setting