Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki.

Gendered language (silliness :p)

Gendered language (silliness :p)

Postby Roses Ablaze » Sun May 25, 2014 4:10 pm

Since roles are reversed, shouldn't "cocky" mean "weak" and "pussy" mean "hotheaded"? :p And "cunt" is considered by some to be the most offensive word in the English language...would that role go to "cock" in the DT world?
Roses Ablaze
Vel'akar

Re: Gendered language (silliness :p)

Postby Obyren » Sun May 25, 2014 6:12 pm

Ariel: Say your prayers, Snadhya!

Kalki: Don't get too pussy, Sarghress!
Obyren
Demon

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby is-ness » Wed May 28, 2014 8:42 pm

Roses Ablaze wrote:Since roles are reversed, shouldn't "cocky" mean "weak" and "pussy" mean "hotheaded"? :p And "cunt" is considered by some to be the most offensive word in the English language...would that role go to "cock" in the DT world?

Just because the roles are reversed does not mean that the swear-words would also be reversed. That's because the DT world is not an exact opposite mirror of our own. They have different values, and that tends to result in different swear-words and/or similar swear-words that don't mean the same thing. For an example of this, even among native English speakers, the level of offensiveness of the word "cunt" depends on where you are from. In hyper-patriarchal societies, that word tends to be most offensive because you're basically calling someone the worst, weakest, and most useless kind of female. In societies where power is more distributed (such as a matrilineal society), the word doesn't necessarily exist and when it does, it doesn't usually have the status of being the Most Offensive Word.

Given how extremely important the clan structure, mothers, pregnant women, etc are to the DT drow's culture, the equivalent in DT for "cunt" is not going to be "cock." It's going to be "motherkiller" or something like that where the word describes someone whose beliefs and/or behaviors are in direct opposition to the society's values. The Sharen probably have an equivalent for pussy, and it's going to be something akin to "pacifist" and "Sullisin'rune" since they value the warriors they are able to produce and look down on clan's who don't share that world view. But all drow may not share that particular word.

Interestingly, Bitch probably does exist in the Drowtales world simply because it could be used to imply a woman is good for providing babies to her clan and absolutely nothing else. Most of the cultures I've studied also have some sort of word for a particularly foul type of excrement, but sometimes it's more subtle than our word "shit" and the type of excrement isn't always the same either. Cock and it's derivatives likely are relegated to the equivalent of "bastard." Something that we call others both jokingly and in seriousness, but an actual bastard is not as socially unacceptable as it used to be. In the same way, males used to be a whole lot less acceptable as holding any significance in society (as evidenced by the fact that Vel'Cahal was nearly killed for offering to SERVE Sharess, while Kel'noz, Sabrorr, and Sandaur can be pretty accepted in their roles as advisers and teachers to the clans they serve).

Sorry, long post is long because I love culture and especially linguistics. Anthropology mode off now.

tl:dr, What we consider as the worst swear-words are based upon what our society values. Since DT drow value the mother and clan structure, the Most Offensive Swear-Word of the DT universe probably goes to "motherkiller," not "cock" or any of its derivatives.
is-ness
Tainted

Postby Catriana » Thu May 29, 2014 11:45 pm

I have to agree with is-ness. The one word that comes to mind in terms of differences in view is 'twat'. It does not mean the same thing in the US that it'd mean in say, the UK. I remember watching Shaun of the Dead and hearing the characters say 'twat' and was like "Whoa there, isn't that a little extreme?" After hearing it so many times I figured it probably meant something different than it does where I live. So yeah XD
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Jiharn » Fri May 30, 2014 12:30 am

And, since I don't think the drow are speaking in English to begin with, you can consider the choice of words to just be the result of the translation conventions.
Jiharn
Vel'akar

Postby We Are Bored » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Roses Ablaze wrote:Since roles are reversed, shouldn't "cocky" mean "weak" and "pussy" mean "hotheaded"? :p And "cunt" is considered by some to be the most offensive word in the English language...would that role go to "cock" in the DT world?

Well, if we were really being accurate they'd be speaking something like this:

Dos filthy auflaqui! Dorn elgg dos jal!

Kyorle. Plynn ukta ulu ukt cell.

Dorn ellllgg dooooooooooooos!
We Are Bored
Nether Spawn

Clan: Sarghress

Return to Questions and World Setting