Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki

Power Rankings.

Power Rankings.

Postby sunhawk » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:04 am

Who is the most powerful Elf in Chel?

Kharla, Diva, Ash'waren, Waes'soloth, Sil'lice, Sarv'swati, Chirinide, Faen, Airel, Quain'tana

Which elf has the personal power to defeat anyone else in a 1v1 conflict?
sunhawk
Summoner

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Re: Power Rankings.

Postby Max_black0 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:14 am

Depends on what mean by "Power". In terms of straight out combat with weapons or hand to hand Quain or Sarv are top dogs by all accounts. Now in terms of magic on the otherhand...things can a little bit more vague.
Max_black0
Vel'akar

Postby Doom Chinchilla » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:21 am

Wouldn't this question fit better at the Questions and World Setting section?

About your question, I'm not sure. Not Snadhya'runes, Sarvasti or the other daughters of Diva, since it took three of them to take her down and she thought that she could have won had she been prepared. Not Quain'tana, who was defeated by Sarv.

Old Diva and Sha'sana are up there among the strongest. Waes'soloth and Kharlaggen too. Ash'waren too.

I'm not sure one of them can be said to be stronger than all the others. Maybe it's like a paper, rock, scissors game. Like, Ash can mindwipe Kharla, but can be easily killed by a person with a strong will like Waes, whose sorcery may be weak against nether summoners like Snadhya, while Kharla is resistant to ethereal demons and could most probably kill any real drow with a thought...etc.

If I were to pick a single one, I would say Sha'sana, by virtue of being older and having a great aura and knowledge combined with a lot of training in summoning, nether summoning, sorcery and high arts and a "safe taint" that grants her resistance against ethereal demons.
Last edited by Doom Chinchilla on Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doom Chinchilla
Dragon of the Nether

Location: Aboard the Bird-Of-The-River, sailing the Yann to Bethmoora
Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Whizzard » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:35 am

Shouldn't this be in the "World setting" part of the forum?

Anyhow, I don't think you can in fact pick a "top person in power rankings".

That's because everyone has their antithesis. If you pick a powerful magic user, Quain stomps them with her magic distruption/absorption ability and superior battle prowess. It takes stronger character strenght wise to defeat Quain so Sarv could take the throne and then be defeated by a powerful magic user such as Waes.

However if it comes to sheer unkillability, Khaless rules them all. But she was already defeated by Lu and only survived thanks to body snatch and is still struggling to take total control. But I've wondered for a while that Ariel or Mel could kill Khaless without her being able to snatch their bodies. I think Mel's (and by that extent Ariel's) shadow form would negate that ability.

And Diva is already dead she does not count. ;P
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Dalvyserran » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:36 am

Sha'ana, because we don't know the extent of her abilities. And yes I think this belongs in the questions & worldsetting forum
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Whizzard » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:44 am

Sha'sana could be dead already, Khaless appearing behind her in full demon mode implied that shit was about to go down. And Khaless still lives and breathes in Lu's body...
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Shgon Dunstan » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:48 am

sunhawk wrote:Who is the most powerful Elf in Chel?

Kharla, Diva, Ash'waren, Waes'soloth, Sil'lice, Sarv'swati, Chirinide, Faen, Airel, Quain'tana

As they'd have have different affinities/power sets, not sure we can really say.

Hell, we don't even really know how the "dispel" ability works, if it works on anything but basic mana attacks, or even if it still works at all, so... We don't even know if they've got any defense against each others abilities other then mana-shields and "Dodge!!!". *ooo*
Shgon Dunstan
Tainted

Postby Tainted Messiah » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:33 am

The correct answer of course is blueberry... not diva.. blueberry *smallsmile*
Tainted Messiah
Demon

Postby Whizzard » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:59 am

Shgon Dunstan wrote:Hell, we don't even really know how the "dispel" ability works, if it works on anything but basic mana attacks, or even if it still works at all, so... We don't even know if they've got any defense against each others abilities other then mana-shields and "Dodge!!!". *ooo*

"Dispelling" is actually two separate abilities.

Distruption tears magic apart and works on everything. Even a wall being raised with earth magic will crumble uf someone distrupts the process. It's like someone blowing a smoke ring and you flick your hand to break it. It's a difficult ability to master.

Mana absorption sucks mana out of spells also causing them to fail. It's even harder to master.

These are not your everyday drow abilities, quite hard to learn, even harder to master.

TK leader An'jhali has no affinities but she's quite good distruptor tearing through earth sorcery like it's nothing.
http://www.drowtales.com/~pathtopower/a ... p?sid=7743
Last edited by Whizzard on Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Ash'arion » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:01 am

Which one does Quain'tana have? It looks like absorption.
Ash'arion
Vel'akar

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Whizzard » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:06 am

Yeah, Quain is absorber. She's drow equivalent of a vampire! :P
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Max_black0 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:15 am

So, Quains dispelling is a learned thing? I'd always thought it was a high sorcery thing, like when Ariel absorbed Syphiles whip. Since Mel and Ariel both have high sorcery I'd figured Quain did too.
Max_black0
Vel'akar

Postby H'K'Maly » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:19 pm

Max_black0 wrote:So, Quains dispelling is a learned thing? I'd always thought it was a high sorcery thing, like when Ariel absorbed Syphiles whip. Since Mel and Ariel both have high sorcery I'd figured Quain did too.

High sorcery if sort of talent. We can't be sure it can't be learned without that talent, but we CAN be sure it can't be used without "mastering" it, ie. learning how to use that talent you have.

Shgon Dunstan wrote:
sunhawk wrote:Who is the most powerful Elf in Chel?

As they'd have have different affinities/power sets, not sure we can really say.

Hell, we don't even really know how the "dispel" ability works, if it works on anything but basic mana attacks, or even if it still works at all, so... We don't even know if they've got any defense against each others abilities other then mana-shields and "Dodge!!!". *ooo*

We really know very little of their powers and how they work on each else. Some of those matches can easily end with BOTH participants being dead, some with neither. In most cases, however, I would assume that the luck and other circumstances (like if someone have the advantage of surprise, home ground, preparations ...) will play important role. And, of course, the "paper, rock, scissors" effect.

Regarding the presented options, through, I would definitely NOT put Chiri, Faen and Ariel in same bracket as Kharla, Ash'waren and Waes'soloth. They have interesting abilities, but they don't have enough control over them yet and they have much smaller auras. Remember Diva complaining that in Ragini's body she's not as strong as she was (which also make current Diva really hard to qualify - she has lot of knowledge, but even after timeskip she probably still lacks the power).

I'm less sure if Quain'tana, Sil'lice and Sarv'swati are in same bracket as Kharla, Ash'waren and Waes'soloth. Quain'tana is definitely in same bracket as Sarv'swati and must've only lose by little. She would be dead otherwise.
H'K'Maly
Vel'akar

Postby Doom Chinchilla » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:57 pm

About the issue...

We know that Ariel was quite proficient at Air Sorcery at least since she was fifteen. She could also use Mana Vision and Mana Projectiles.
Kyonne was able to use her songs at about twenty years old
Naal was a VERY powerful Shadow Sorceress at the same age.
Chiri was a decent Fire Sorceress and Sealer at least since she was 25. And she could fight with a blade when required.
Kau and Shala are younger than 30 and are a trained golem pilot and Nether Summoner (well, at least Sealer). Shala is also a healer, and both are decent warriors.
Ariel is, at about 30 years old, a trained warrior, Air Sorcerer, can use Mana Shields, Mana Projectiles and Mana Vision, can use her Shapeshifting High Sorcery to great effect, can use a Earth Foci and even knows a bit about golem piloting.
Kalki has been described as "a teen" (meaning younger than 40) when she fought Sillice, and she was already a powerful Air Sorcerer, Nether Summoner and warrior.
Vy'chriel Vel'Sharen seemed not older than 40, and she was a powerful Nether Summoner and Earth Sorcerer.
Ae'theriss Kyorl'solenurn looked about that same age when she fought the Vlozz'ress, and she was already a trained empath inquisitor.

What I mean is, older characters like 400 years old Kai'to Sarghress should be good at many things, don't they? I understand focusing on your strengths, but if they spend just a bit of time to learn new things, a 400 years character should be able to be a trained warrior, sorcerer, sealer and High Artist...but we have seen very few character using several different talents.

Is it because the comic focuses on young people? Or does people tend to be good at only one thing? Maybe drow tend to become lazy as they age?
Doom Chinchilla
Dragon of the Nether

Location: Aboard the Bird-Of-The-River, sailing the Yann to Bethmoora

Postby H'K'Maly » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:37 am

Doom Chinchilla wrote:About the issue...

We know that Ariel was quite proficient at Air Sorcery at least since she was fifteen. She could also use Mana Vision and Mana Projectiles.
Kyonne was able to use her songs at about twenty years old
Naal was a VERY powerful Shadow Sorceress at the same age.
Chiri was a decent Fire Sorceress and Sealer at least since she was 25. And she could fight with a blade when required.
Kau and Shala are younger than 30 and are a trained golem pilot and Nether Summoner (well, at least Sealer). Shala is also a healer, and both are decent warriors.
Ariel is, at about 30 years old, a trained warrior, Air Sorcerer, can use Mana Shields, Mana Projectiles and Mana Vision, can use her Shapeshifting High Sorcery to great effect, can use a Earth Foci and even knows a bit about golem piloting.
Kalki has been described as "a teen" (meaning younger than 40) when she fought Sillice, and she was already a powerful Air Sorcerer, Nether Summoner and warrior.
Vy'chriel Vel'Sharen seemed not older than 40, and she was a powerful Nether Summoner and Earth Sorcerer.
Ae'theriss Kyorl'solenurn looked about that same age when she fought the Vlozz'ress, and she was already a trained empath inquisitor.

What I mean is, older characters like 400 years old Kai'to Sarghress should be good at many things, don't they? I understand focusing on your strengths, but if they spend just a bit of time to learn new things, a 400 years character should be able to be a trained warrior, sorcerer, sealer and High Artist...but we have seen very few character using several different talents.

Is it because the comic focuses on young people? Or does people tend to be good at only one thing? Maybe drow tend to become lazy as they age?

For one, yes, the comic focuses on young people. Older people are more in background, we don't see how powerful they really are. Vy'chriel Vel'Sharen was a powerful Nether Summoner and Earth Sorcerer, but Sill'ice had no problem killing her despite her traditional summoning being considered weaker - because she's older.

Most older drows are trained warriors and sorcerers and they are much more powerful in the sorcery they choosed that the younger are. On the other hand, they are not like ten times more powerful when they are ten times older, because it's harder to get better if you have noone better to learn from. Still, they rarely choose to develop some other strength, especially if they don't have talent for it, because it would take long time before they would know it good enough for it to be useful in battle.

... unless they were defeated (and left alive), in which case it's clear to them they need to do something.
H'K'Maly
Vel'akar

Next

Return to Questions and World setting