Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki

Sharen infantry tainting, refusable?

Sharen infantry tainting, refusable?

Postby Thrair » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:41 pm

Question is in the title. I've loved this webcomic since stumbling across it a while back, and am considering sponsoring a Sharen cameo character next time I have a little cash set aside for gaming/movie/misc luxuries funds. Even if it's just "Grunt the manure-shoveler" who dies in an avalanche of crap in panel 2 of his appearance, it'll still be awesome.

So, with that as a plan, I'm coming up with ideas and need a little bit of info on the Sharen practice of tainting. How mandatory is it for most citizens, and is it possible to avoid? I know there's one sponsored cameo character that's untainted, but I was wondering how feasible avoiding it is.

If it's reasonable to avoid, the character I'm thinking about would have done so, even if it meant a loss of prestige and near-exile to remote postings. But if it's not really avoidable, it'd have a pretty large impact on the character's personality.

Part of this is because I'm trying to get some core personality traits and yet be as concise as possible. A 10-page backstory isn't what a cameo character gets. So I'm looking to come up with the character idea first, then prune away superfluous stuff until I've got as simple a concept as possible.

Much appreciated. Again, this comic's awesome, and having a minor cameo character is awesome. If I can manage it, totally going to sponsor one.
Thrair
Demon

Location: My Chair, Washington (Just south of My Computer, Washington)
Clan: Sharen

Re: Sharen infantry tainting, refusable?

Postby partner555 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:49 pm

Well, those who refuse usually flee the clan. I think the story behind that one cameo was that her mother made sure she grew up away from Chel to avoid the mandatory tainting.

That being said, I'd just go with having a tainted character but if you really want a non-tainted sharen, you either need to get lucky and get a spot that allows non-tainted Sharen cameos like two of the Sharen renegades in Ch43 or ask Runes, the sponsorer of Kery'awa, whether they had to do something special for that kind of character to be accepted as a cameo.
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Thrair » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:54 pm

Yah. I figured as much, but just wanted to confirm it. Probably going to go with just having him tainted, as leaving the clan wouldn't be an option for the character I have in mind.
Thrair
Demon

Postby MEK1724 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:42 pm

I don't believe they can be descended from Divas daughters if you want them to be untainted and still in the Vel'Sharen .
MEK1724
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Thrair » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:45 pm

Oh, he'd definitely not be from such a lofty line.

The very rough outline is this:
-Former Imperial Guardsman, and a rather old one at that.
-Loyalty/Devotion to the Queen is/was defining trait. When she died, this passed to the the current Sharen line. But mostly out a sense of duty to the Queen's memory, and not fealty to the current regime.
-Nearly got killed in the Nidraa'chal war. Injury has never recovered and leaves him with essentially one lung and a bad knee.

Going from there. But that's the core of the character idea (albeit a very rough one). As I said, trying to prune things down to the core. Simpler is better, and there's absolutely no point in going overboard on details except to brainstorm. Plus, the more detailed the character, the more it'll tend towards mary/marty sue, which is the worst possible thing for a cameo character.

Simple is better, less obtrusive is better. Hence asking about the tainting protocols. Character has to follow the trends of the clan, after all. Unless you want to go with "Hi, I'm Drizz't. I'm totally awesome, buck the established rules of my race, dual-wield scimitars, am a warrior-poet, am charming/dashing/handsome, can do calculus in my head, and am an author's wish-fufillment self-insert fantasy, and should be struck by frickin' lightning just for existing". (Does my utter disdain for Drizz't and similar types of characters show?)
Thrair
Demon

Postby MEK1724 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:49 pm

There was an untainted imperial guard here .
MEK1724
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Thrair » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:51 pm

Good catch. So it's certainly possible to avoid it. Although, if memory serves, males have a higher chance of being tainted so they can better serve as meat-shields.
Thrair
Demon

Postby MEK1724 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:54 pm

Thrair wrote:Good catch. So it's certainly possible to avoid it. Although, if memory serves, males have a higher chance of being tainted so they can better serve as meat-shields.

I believe they were more heavily tainted a while ago . But I'm pretty sure no references to that exist in the comic , any longer .
MEK1724
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Smokehammer » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:33 pm

Im curious though. If you want to be Sharen, why do you want to be untainted? Its, if nothing else, a sure fire way to have your own summoners murder you in a bad brawl.
Smokehammer
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Thrair » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:29 pm

Because the basic character concept is that he's one of the "Old Guard", so to speak.

First, the queen did not like tainting, and there was no secret made of that fact. That alone would not endear him to the process.

Secondly, he would have served in the Nidraa'Chal wars, and demons and nether summoners were used to horrific effect there. Thus a personal hatred of them, in general.

So, while he might grudgingly accept that it's current Sharen policy, he wouldn't like it. And would prefer not to associate with it out of stubborn (and perhaps stupid) pride. Hence "former" Imperial Guard. Think along the lines of Napoleon's Old Guard. Served under a charismatic leader for a long time, and very loyal as a result. There's a reason another (granted, it was short) war had to be fought when Napoleon returned. Dude had NO shortage of people rushing to join his army.

Anyways, I digress. It's probably simpler to have him tainted. Not like there was a shortage of opportunity to get tainted during the war. And this is a rough outline anyways. The character seems a little cliche and I've yet to hit on anything else. I'm thinking of latching onto the injury a bit more. Damn it, I'm going off-topic again!
Thrair
Demon

Postby Dalvyserran » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:52 pm

Being in the "old guard" works well. There's other Imperials who are untainted, like Sarai and the drider imperial
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Postby MEK1724 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:29 pm

Dalvyserran wrote: the drider imperial

I don't remember him showing up post the time where tainting was made mandatory though .
MEK1724
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Jak'iaah » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:25 pm

Imperial guards are not all Sharen, though. They are loyal to the queen but can be from any clan. Once upon a time the Imperial Guard were mostly Dutan'vir, but now they are mostly Sharen or Beldrobbaen because of clan politics being as they are.
Jak'iaah
Summoner

Clan: Sarghress

Postby MEK1724 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:52 pm

Jak'iaah wrote:Imperial guards are not all Sharen, though. They are loyal to the queen but can be from any clan.

True . However the Leona one from chapter 39 had a dragon . Which as far as I know are not listed as being used by anyone bar the Sharen .
MEK1724
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Thrair » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:34 pm

Jak'iaah wrote:Imperial guards are not all Sharen, though. They are loyal to the queen but can be from any clan. Once upon a time the Imperial Guard were mostly Dutan'vir, but now they are mostly Sharen or Beldrobbaen because of clan politics being as they are.

Yah. The Dutan'vir have been pretty damn thoroughly purged. Even if they survived, they're not really welcome amongst the Sharen. As I recall, most that didn't flee were killed or enslaved.

And a Dutan'vir loyal to the queen? No way in hell would the Vel'Sharen allow someone like that to serve (and possibly even live) amongst the clan, even more so an untainted one. Which at the least makes that impractical.

Although this discussion is highlighting one more trait I'm starting to think is mandatory for such a character: Remote postings, as far away from the politics as possible. Still nominally serving the Sharen line, but also far away enough to avoid close scrutiny.
Thrair
Demon

Next

Return to Questions and World setting