Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki

A silly question from a noob.

A silly question from a noob.

Postby Shgon Dunstan » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:17 am

I've only been reading DT for maybe two months or so now, but as I delve more into the setting, a question has popped into my head....

If most of the underworld is under the sea of mist, and the sea of mist was made by a part of the moon falling down making an impact crater..... Then doesn't that mean that most of the underworld has no "roof" aside from the sea of mist itself? *hmmm*

Somehow I missed that one my read through. :S .......
Shgon Dunstan
Tainted

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Re: A silly question from a noob.

Postby partner555 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:30 am

I think the sea is above the entrance to the underworld, that is how I'd interpret it.
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Shgon Dunstan » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:37 am

partner555 wrote:I think the sea is above the entrance to the underworld, that is how I'd interpret it.

Well then..... How did the main part of the underworld(that big area that's supposed to be the impact crater) get a roof then? ^^;

I can see the sides of such a thing eroding a little, but into a giant cave system across the whole thing? o_O
Shgon Dunstan
Tainted

Postby AthenAltena » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:10 am

From what I understand from the map Chel is located in the actual underground part and not the sea of mist, and the cavern that makes up the main city is essentially a big geode that probably existed prior to the moon piece impacting the planet.
AthenAltena
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Shgon Dunstan » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:35 am

AthenAltena wrote:From what I understand from the map Chel is located in the actual underground part and not the sea of mist, and the cavern that makes up the main city is essentially a big geode that probably existed prior to the moon piece impacting the planet.

I know that, but most of the underworld is made up of the impact crater, yet... Even is that city Mel just got to, which is covered in the mist, there are building hanging down from above..... What exactly are they attached to?

And why were the the Drow going to so much trouble to make and defend shoots upward, if most of the underworld doesn't have a roof? I know "near the city in question" and all, but the entire rim of the sea should be one ladder away from being a passage way up....
Shgon Dunstan
Tainted

Postby AthenAltena » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:10 am

Shgon Dunstan wrote:I know that, but most of the underworld is made up of the impact crater, yet... Even is that city Mel just got to, which is covered in the mist, there are building hanging down from above..... What exactly are they attached to?

I don't think there are actually any buildings hanging from the ceiling in Felde, just that enough of them are obscured by the mist that they can't be totally seen. Kern has also commented that Felde does get rain (hence whey Snadhya's Feldian bodyguards do not have ear holes on their hoods since it would get in there otherwise) so there is no cavern roof over it.

It also seems to be a bit more than one ladder to get from the surface to the bottom where the cities are, or else they would have done so already. It also seems like only some of the areas in the actual crater are capable of supporting life, Sha'shi for instance is near the center of the crater but it's mentioned to be totally reliant on outside supplies, and most of the population centers are near the edge or in enclosed caverns.
AthenAltena
Dragon of the Nether

Postby MEK1724 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:14 am

AthenAltena wrote:I don't think there are actually any buildings hanging from the ceiling in Felde, just that enough of them are obscured by the mist that they can't be totally seen. Kern has also commented that Felde does get rain (hence whey Snadhya's Feldian bodyguards do not have ear holes on their hoods since it would get in there otherwise) so there is no cavern roof over it.

It also seems like only some of the areas in the actual crater are capable of supporting life, Sha'shi for instance is near the center of the crater but it's mentioned to be totally reliant on outside supplies, and most of the population centers are near the edge or in enclosed caverns.

Felde is under a mountain in the sea of mist or an overhang, or nestled between high cliffs or something. It is semi-underground .
MEK1724
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby AthenAltena » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:19 am

MEK1724 wrote: Felde is under a mountain in the sea of mist or an overhang, or nestled between high cliffs or something. It is semi-underground .

Ah, you're right, I stand corrected. I looked up the cover of the audiobook about Felde and there are indeed some things hanging. The wiki also describes it as "on a mountain side in the Mist Sea".

Also Felde being exposed brings up an interesting point about it: lack of natural heat. Chel has the rift to keep it warm, but Mel's comment about it being cold is probably because of the combination of the actual weather and lack of volcanic vents, which would be reflected by Chel's cavern. It's also likely one of the few cities that has to deal with seasons in any significant way.
AthenAltena
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Catriana » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:52 am

The underground spreads throughout the entire continent so it's impossible for all of it to be roofless. Places like Nuqrah'shareh have rifts that allow sunlight and rain to filter through. The underground itself is miles deep, to the point where it takes weeks to reach the surface on mounts. The lifts must be built in sturdy enough locations and cuts the time to the surface to hours. The Well of Light took years to dig, if I recall. Nuqrah'shareh has one such lift, which is likely how they've been getting their surface food(I think they have a colony up there).

But the biggest reason why they stay underground is because there's not enough mana on the surface to support their populations. It's why mana fields in colonies are very important, they're the lifeblood of the place. Without them, even in a large population, the elves living there would age quickly(for them). That and most of the major clans in Chel have convinced themselves that the surface is a wasteland and going back up to be a waste of time and resources when they have everything they need underground. Their biggest excuse being that they have to settle things there before they can think of going back to the surface. Not every city is like Chel, however. The Mimians have a surface colony, the Nal'sarkoth and the Illhar'dro are also invested in surface colonies and repopulating the surface.

The sea of mist spreads throughout the underworld and has been shown to float up above the surface in some areas.

The wiki has some information on locations that may help answer your questions.
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Shgon Dunstan » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:55 pm

I forget, have we been told how big the continent is? All I remember is that Chel is around thirty miles wide. *hmmm*
Shgon Dunstan
Tainted

Postby Pelinore » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:35 pm

Hum, I don't know...I was Under the impression than nuqrah-chel was roughly 500 kms or miles

I think it's an incorrect assumption to think most of the settlements of the underworld are in the mist sea. As we can see [/link=http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=7936]here[/link], nearly all of them are actually around the mist sea (we don't not what is the proporstion among them of underground, semi-underground or completely open to a sky covered by mist) or in other caverns, so a lot of them do have a "roof". We just know to few cities to have an good idea of the proportion.
Pelinore
Tainted

Postby Shgon Dunstan » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:33 pm

Pelinore wrote:Hum, I don't know...I was Under the impression than nuqrah-chel was roughly 500 kms or miles

50kms, or(so Google tells me) 31.0686 miles, and technically it said "nearly 50kms".

I think it's an incorrect assumption to think most of the settlements of the underworld are in the mist sea. As we can see [/link=http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=7936]here[/link], nearly all of them are actually around the mist sea (we don't not what is the proporstion among them of underground, semi-underground or completely open to a sky covered by mist) or in other caverns, so a lot of them do have a "roof". We just know to few cities to have an good idea of the proportion.

Links broken, but I was able to search it, and.... Your right but, wasn't there a small town at east at the moon fragment in one of the audiobooks? Or was that a small part of it that had broken away? I ask because that map doesn't show any light in the meddle of the crater. *hmmm*
Shgon Dunstan
Tainted

Postby Pelinore » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:10 pm

I was speaking about the distance between chel and Nuqrah. But i'm totally unable to remember where I got this idea.

For the settlement, you are refering to sha'shi, described in an audiobook
Pelinore
Tainted

Postby MEK1724 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:31 pm

Pelinore wrote:I was speaking about the distance between chel and Nuqrah. But i'm totally unable to remember where I got this idea.

Chel was 50 km in the prolouge . Multiplying out the ratio implied by this map , gives a distance roughly in line with that distance you gave .
MEK1724
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Return to Questions and World setting