Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki.

Who killed Shimi ?

Re: Who killed Shimi ?

Postby MEK1724 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:27 pm

PoignardAzur wrote:because it would have been easy to make, like, one panel with someone saying "I've found that letter where he talks about his evil plot", or even "Every clue we have converge on that : he is guilty !".

Well we're not really meant to know for sure , seeing as the main characters can't tell for certain what exactly is going on . You are now immersed into the utter confusion of living in their world . 8P
MEK1724
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby PoignardAzur » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:17 pm

MEK1724 wrote:Well we're not really meant to know for sure , seeing as the main characters can't tell for certain what exactly is going on . You are now immersed into the utter confusion of living in their world . 8P

I don't see how that's supposed to be a good thing :/
When I read a story I don't understand, I don't think "Hey, that's cool, I understand how the characters must feel not understanding anything !", I rather think "Hey, that sucks, I don't understand anything at all !". It's a bit like the difference between making an entertaining story and a realistic story.
PoignardAzur
Summoner

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby MEK1724 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:00 pm

PoignardAzur wrote:I don't see how that's supposed to be a good thing :/
When I read a story I don't understand, I don't think "Hey, that's cool, I understand how the characters must feel not understanding anything !", I rather think "Hey, that sucks, I don't understand anything at all !". It's a bit like the difference between making an entertaining story and a realistic story.

Actually you understand a lot , you just don't get it for sure .
MEK1724
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Catriana » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:14 am

PoignardAzur wrote:
MEK1724 wrote:Well we're not really meant to know for sure , seeing as the main characters can't tell for certain what exactly is going on . You are now immersed into the utter confusion of living in their world . 8P

I don't see how that's supposed to be a good thing :/

Stories should have an element of mystery to them. Not everything should be explained. This is because it's actually better for the reader to use their imagination than to wrap everything up in a neat package. Speculation is what keep readers talking about a story long after it's finished, and speculation is what keeps readers coming back for more. It is likely we'll have a more definite answer later, but look at how this thread has gone. Would it even exist if we had all of the answers?

Being as confused as the character can be a good thing. Because then there's a feeling of immersion, we can't meta and project that onto the character. Think about how many times you've known something ahead of time and you're screaming at the character not to do that thing because you know it's going to end badly(and then they do the thing, which colors them as being incompetent when in reality they don't know what we do). But sometimes if you don't know, it can be a more organic experience, especially if the answer comes to light later, be it through the character or a different narrative.

So yes, it's definitely a good thing when employed correctly.
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether

Postby ZeeRose » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:12 am

The danger with that is when fans speculate too long on something, they usually stumble upon the reveal so by the time the reveal happens there is no huge revelation. Just everyone going "oh just as I predicted", so its underwhelming. It happened a lot in 90s anime like Blue Gender, Pilot Candidate, Big O...stories that had mysteries and questions piled on each other that went nowhere and the shows were untimely cancelled and nothing added up so the fanbase was displeased. Marvel and DC comics also have the problem of an underwhelming reveal or twist endings that make no sense in the continuity of things.

Good writing involves proper suspense and suspense can only be carried out for so long or its loses its impact. Consider the ambiguity of actions in other sequential manga and comics like 20th Century Boys or Monster. The identity of characters and ambiguous actions are played throughout the entire series but the point is you can't hold a reader in confusion for too long because they lose interest, especially new readers who are trying to figure things out and they're not getting responses. Everyone likes a good mystery, but sometimes you have to explain things to get to the meat of the matter.

Shimi's death was predicted a long time ago. Why is her killer a mystery?
ZeeRose
Summoner

Postby MEK1724 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:39 am

ZeeRose wrote:The danger with that is when fans speculate too long on something, they usually stumble upon the reveal so by the time the reveal happens there is no huge revelation. Just everyone going "oh just as I predicted", so its underwhelming.

Yeah except no one agrees on exactly what happened in this case , such that those who guessed wrongly can be surprised , and those who guessed correctly can have their guessing rewarded with a correct answer.
ZeeRose wrote:Good writing involves proper suspense and suspense can only be carried out for so long or its loses its impact.

Well yes , however that is a major problem if the mystery and ambiguity , is the only thing happening in the story . It's also fairly dangerous if the confusion is carried past the reveal .
ZeeRose wrote:Shimi's death was predicted a long time ago. Why is her killer a mystery?

Is it ? I thought most people would have been able to form a conclusion provided they considered everything that happened in the chapter ? I mean it's not always the same conclusion , but that's what makes things interesting .
MEK1724
Dragon of the Nether

Previous

Return to Questions and World Setting