Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki

Half the tainting?

Half the tainting?

Postby Moatl » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:26 am

When creating a new character I came to one basic question concerning »tainting«. Looking at Ash'waren it came into my mind if it is possible, that a tainting can be »incomplete«, somehow, because she has only on red eye – or is this on purpose? Her left eye was blue in the Moons Age is red now, and her right eye once green is blue now. *ooo*
My idea for the new character is a »half-tainting« which would lead to (or alternatively is the effect of) a split personality – just think of »Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde«. This effect doesn't have to be a serious illness – the main effect will be, that the tainted half of the character is loyal to the Nidraa'chal, the non-tainted half still loyal to the original clan.
The main question for me is at the moment, if this is possible at all, because this will have a major effect to the personality of the character.
Moatl
Vel'akar

Clan: Vloz'ress

Re: Half the tainting?

Postby partner555 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:35 am

Ash isn't tainted. The red eye was a result of all the empathic backlash from everything the demons did to those close enough to her for her to feel it. The eye is just COLOURED red, not TAINTED red.
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Moatl » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:57 am

partner555 wrote:Ash isn't tainted. The red eye was a result of all the empathic backlash from everything the demons did to those close enough to her for her to feel it. The eye is just COLOURED red, not TAINTED red.

That's a point! This means, that you'll live in constant danger to be killed by the Kyorl, if you have natural red eyes. ^^;
But Ashie was just the start for my idea. I'm curious if it's possible.
Moatl
Vel'akar

Postby partner555 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:04 am

Moatl wrote:But Ashie was just the start for my idea. I'm curious if it's possible.

If you ask Kern if you could give a cameo a half taint, the answer will be no. The cameos have to fit the story and cannot have story-breaking powers or traits, and the half taint seems like one of those.
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Moatl » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:16 am

partner555 wrote:
Moatl wrote:But Ashie was just the start for my idea. I'm curious if it's possible.

If you ask Kern if you could give a cameo a half taint, the answer will be no. The cameos have to fit the story and cannot have story-breaking powers or traits, and the half taint seems like one of those.

Darn… *crying*
Nevertheless, Thank you.
Moatl
Vel'akar

Postby partner555 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:37 am

You're welcome.
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Jak'iaah » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:33 pm

As far as we know, natural red eyes don't exist. The only time we've seen something like "red" was with your own Woas'ned, and I had assumed he just had dark orange eyes that appeared red with the drow's natural glow. Ash'waren's extreme empathy does all manner of impossible things to her appearance, so she shouldn't really be taken as an example of what can happen.

As for "half-tainting," partner's right - it's not possible with the current worldsetting. If somehow it happened anyway, it would be such a highly extraordinary event that Kern would not accept it for a cameo. Cameos usually work better when they compliment the worldsetting as believable characters, not ones with abilities that go beyond that of the main cast.
Jak'iaah
Summoner

Postby AthenAltena » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:55 pm

The only situation I could think of where you might be able to get away with a "half-taint" is if you somehow had a situation where two souls/auras shared the same body and one was tainted but the other wasn't, but that probably breaks several laws of DT's metaphysics.
AthenAltena
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Moatl » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:26 pm

Don't take my ideas for character design too serious. I take it as a kind of “sport” to create unusual characters or to create characters near to the “border of the worldsetting”. Woas'Ned's orange eyes was my first try.
After I started this discussion I remembered Kern complaining massively in one Saturday-live-stream about non-tainted red eyes on drows.
Personally I think, before the nether attacked the dark-elves red eyes were pretty common. But since the nether beings tainted the dark-elves they killed every red-eyes person they could get hold of. So natural red eyed drows died off by time…
My theory…
Moatl
Vel'akar

Return to Questions and World setting