Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki

The scarlet flower as a countermeasure against demons?

The scarlet flower as a countermeasure against demons?

Postby Neferius » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:34 am

It's well established now that the Jaal'Darya are one of the most influential and wealthy clans in the misty depths, despite the fact that they do not hold or "tax" any significant portions of land.
Indeed, their fortune is directly derived from that of the other clans which traded with them for their expertise, scientific knowledge and methods, as-well as their other goods and services.

Therefore it is particularly strange that they would employ something as radical as a highly contagious and lethal mana-parasite, which in and of itself would be a game-changer for any clans that would posses it, and therefore impossible to "market" as a weapon without irreparably damaging the already tenuous balance between the clans.
Then why would the Jaal risk scorning all of the other tribes with such a weapon, a weapon which seems to be lethal to all Fae without discernment, dealing immense collateral damage if it were to be deployed.
Perhaps this question could be answered with another one:
What is a more current and pressing issue, threatening the peace and stability of all clans, and already having led to the dissolution of one?
Nether Spawn.

Now let's look at the Jaal'Darya culture for a second.
A clan consisting solely of female Vals. Why would that be?
Again, why would they go to such lenghts so as to develop a completely artificial method of insemination, which does not even require a Male's "donation"?
Well, we do know of the devastating effects the deeper mists have on the Elven races over the generations.
The Xuile'Solen.

Oddly, the Jaal seem to have their own variety that, while seemingly still blind, are not completely eyeless, and also seem to have the capability of breathing underwater.
Given the Jaal's propensity for acive genetic experimentation, we might surmise that these could very well be one of their "partially successful" results at staving off degeneration.

So we know that the Jaal are completely co-dependent on the other clans and the commoners for their continued prosperity, and thus have a vested interest in keeping afloat the Drow race as a whole.
And yet we now also know that at-least one of their factions is actively experimenting with a lethal strain of mana-draining parasite plants and fungi.

There is only a limited number of conclusions we may draw from these facts...
Neferius
Tik'tikki

Clan: Vloz'ress

Re: The scarlet flower as a countermeasure against demons?

Postby partner555 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:08 pm

And those conclusions are?
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Dalvyserran » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:23 pm

the fish people are biogolems like Sata, the false empress clones and Kyo'nne's servant ^^

but as for reasons why the Jaals would deploy the parasitic flower, I would have to say that lies with Femi's camp who discovered it. We know that a scientist has the right to experiment in secret until its ready to be presented to Asira'malika in public, so it always led me to believe that this flower was a personal pet project of Femi's.

Now, we know that the parasite flower can affect tainted drow. But as a counter measurement against demons themselves... I'm not sure about. Physical demons maybe, but ethereal demons eat mana like nobody's business, and the flowers appear to be mana plants.
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Junglefowl26 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:20 pm

Right, the flowers are a personal project of Femi, and since she is hinted to be a Nid, I think it likely the flower's intended purpose is to wipe out whichever faction wins the District Wars.

If others in the clan do know, they are likely told it is a weapon of last resort - similar to Nukes and mutually assured destruction in our world.

Or that she is just trying to understand how they survived the fall of the old world.

Also, I think has been confirmed that most Jaal are born the old fashioned way - while they do have the ability to reproduce without men, it is risky and requires a lot of resources - hence why they charge so much money for the procedure. While there are no men within the clan, there are plenty outside of it to make sperm donations in exchange for money.

-As for the idea of the flower being an anti-demon weapon....I think it is worth noting that when these flowers first appeared in relic hunter, they infected a tainted Sharen dragon knight - and when he lost control of his seed later, both the demon and the plant made each other stronger and more dangerous.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby partner555 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:34 pm

Junglefowl26 wrote:
-As for the idea of the flower being an anti-demon weapon....I think it is worth noting that when these flowers first appeared in relic hunter, they infected a tainted Sharen dragon knight - and when he lost control of his seed later, both the demon and the plant made each other stronger and more dangerous.

Really? Perhaps I should start reading the relic hunter pages.
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Junglefowl26 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:05 am

If you can and you have the time, I would recommend it.

If nothing else, I found all the ruins, golems, creatures, and characters to be very inspiring for my own stuff.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Amberlight » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:04 am

Despite Jaal's scheming and unpredicteble manner, I belive that the reason behind studying parasitic flower may be rather simple. There are more than one example of historical events when a peacefull and neutral facion would be forced into the conflicn of it's neigbours. More than that, if they trade with both sides, one may want to deprive it's enemies from such a resource and claim it all for itself, conquering the neutral faction. Jaals, having no army of their own would have no chance in the direct fight with Sharen or Sargress. To ensure their safety they needed a power to discourage any and all from enforcing their will on the clan. Paracitic flower is one such a power. It is also very likely that the reaserch is aimed to find a way to control this dangerous entity rather than make it more lethal.
And another reason may be their bet for supreme dominance in case if their current position would be found unsuitable: if such a virulent plague is to be unleashed on the city with only Jaals having a cure, who do you thing will be rulling Chel'el'sussoloth in the next year?
Amberlight
Tainted

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby HoneyBee » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:49 pm

Yeah I was going to say that I think they might try to research an antidote for it. Would definitely put them on the lead, until the information leaked out, at least.
HoneyBee
Vel'akar

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Neferius » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:42 am

Junglefowl26 wrote:[...]
Or that she is just trying to understand how they survived the fall of the old world.
[...]

Interesting... so, in theory, could the Jaal breed the spores to only affect and consume Demonic aura instead of mana?
...that's what i was getting at btw ^^;
Neferius
Tik'tikki

Clan: Vloz'ress

Return to Questions and World setting