Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki.

How tall are drow?

How tall are drow?

Postby django » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:41 am

Is it just me or did the Wiki change the hight of Drows. I remember them being tall, but Olath females were around 6+ foot range and males being around 5 '8'. While Suss females were 5 '8' range and the males where 6+ range.

I remember when I made characters for the rp that was the case.
django
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Re: How tall are drow?

Postby Shrg » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:07 am

for me the drow in the wiki are still "tall"
Females: 2.25m / 7'4, Males: 2.08m / 6'10
So it seems it is just you.
Shrg
Summoner

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby django » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:25 am

Yes they are tall But they use to be shorter before. I just wonder why they changed their hight.
django
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Dalvyserran » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:37 am

Because it did not seem right to have drow be as tall as IRL humans but draw DT humans the size of midgets. So last year kern changed the heights with a height chart. http://www.drowtales.com/wordpress/?p=3116

The male lath height is a guesstimate though that was found with comparison to Ssu male height 8P
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby django » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:01 am

Thank you, thats what I was looking for.
django
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Whispering shadows » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:41 am

Honestly the drow must have a different skeletal structure then ours because at that hight they should be developing back problems or some other kind of nasty thing associated with being really tall. Humans that grow over 7 feet usually have very short life spans. Either that or gravity is different in DT.
Whispering shadows
Vel'akar

Location: In the deepest, darkest, depths of an forgotten crypt. Alone. Forever.

Postby Junglefowl26 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:59 am

Gigantopithecus was about that tall, a little taller actually, and while how they stood is debated, there is some evidence they had a very human like stance.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Dalvyserran » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:29 am

Whispering shadows wrote:Honestly the drow must have a different skeletal structure then ours because at that hight they should be developing back problems or some other kind of nasty thing associated with being really tall. Humans that grow over 7 feet usually have very short life spans. Either that or gravity is different in DT.

"gravity is different on DT"

there's your hint... it has 9 moons, so it's clearly not a duplicate Earth. but this thread isn't about physics so I'll leave it at that. But if you want, look at the chart. The 2nd tallest goblin is a hermionne and is the average size of a human. So are emberi and halmes
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Sionyx » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:49 am

Elves may be able to be taller than humans without the health issues humans get because of the mana related vitality they enjoy. It probably helps them avoid a lot of the problems we'd expect them to have. We've also been told that nutrition differences are one of the reasons drow tend to be shorter than their surface relatives, and we know that's something we get in our world. We don't know how tall halmes/emberi/other DT humans have the genetic potential to be if they get proper nutrition, and based on where we see their society right now, most humans there probably aren't getting it.
Sionyx
Vel'akar

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Dalvyserran » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:31 am

But... Noz are goblins too, and are generically taller than lath males. Remember, Halmes & emberi are not exactly the same as real life humans, because they are related to the beast like Hermionne, kotorcs and Noz. like the news post said, the numbers are averages but there are fringe exceptions... Ash is a short dokkalfar, for example.
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Alric » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:39 pm

Dalvyserran wrote:
"gravity is different on DT"

there's your hint... it has 9 moons, so it's clearly not a duplicate Earth. but this thread isn't about physics so I'll leave it at that. But if you want, look at the chart. The 2nd tallest goblin is a hermionne and is the average size of a human. So are emberi and halmes

Actually Hermiones are much taller than modern humans, the average Hermione male is just short of 2 meters (6'7") tall. Their height, appearance, and red hair seem to indicate that they're closer to Cro-Magnon man than modern humans.

Sionyx wrote:Elves may be able to be taller than humans without the health issues humans get because of the mana related vitality they enjoy. It probably helps them avoid a lot of the problems we'd expect them to have. We've also been told that nutrition differences are one of the reasons drow tend to be shorter than their surface relatives, and we know that's something we get in our world. We don't know how tall halmes/emberi/other DT humans have the genetic potential to be if they get proper nutrition, and based on where we see their society right now, most humans there probably aren't getting it.

Most of the drow we see in DT aren't malnourished. Fighting drow would require a fair bit of calories to be able to remain active in combat. You aren't going to get muscular without a high caloric intake and plenty of protein. (For example, Tur'geis' tribe, the Am'saag, are for the most part a pastoral culture with some agriculture. As a member of the warrior caste he ate a great deal of meat & assorted animal protein when growing up and beyond.)

Also keep in mind that most people in ancient/medieval times weren't malnourished, people only became small during the 1600-1700s when they started living in cities en masse and overall health declined. (a telling detail is that you had to be at least 5'10" (178 cm) to join the Roman army, and several subsequent medieval armies such as that of the Franks retained the Roman physical standards)
Alric
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Sionyx » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:11 am

Alric"[quote="Sionyx wrote:Elves may be able to be taller than humans without the health issues humans get because of the mana related vitality they enjoy. It probably helps them avoid a lot of the problems we'd expect them to have. We've also been told that nutrition differences are one of the reasons drow tend to be shorter than their surface relatives, and we know that's something we get in our world. We don't know how tall halmes/emberi/other DT humans have the genetic potential to be if they get proper nutrition, and based on where we see their society right now, most humans there probably aren't getting it.

Most of the drow we see in DT aren't malnourished. Fighting drow would require a fair bit of calories to be able to remain active in combat. You aren't going to get muscular without a high caloric intake and plenty of protein. (For example, Tur'geis' tribe, the Am'saag, are for the most part a pastoral culture with some agriculture. As a member of the warrior caste he ate a great deal of meat & assorted animal protein when growing up and beyond.)

Also keep in mind that most people in ancient/medieval times weren't malnourished, people only became small during the 1600-1700s when they started living in cities en masse and overall health declined. (a telling detail is that you had to be at least 5'10" (178 cm) to join the Roman army, and several subsequent medieval armies such as that of the Franks retained the Roman physical standards)[/quote]
I'm not referring to them as malnourished (though it is hard to say what I mean without sounding like I am). We know that people can have the right balance of nutrition and still not get what they need to reach their full genetic potential height-wise - Asians are not malnourished as a rule, but as they adopt more western style diets they're growing taller. And I KNOW Kern's mentioned that one of the reasons for height differences between dokkalfar/vanir and drow is the nutrition they're getting.
Sionyx
Vel'akar

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Catriana » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:19 am

Yeah, Sionyx is right on the malnutrition. That's why drow are shorter and have the purple mouths. It's malnutrition in the sense that they aren't getting the same things necessary that the elves on the surface had. It's supposed to be the adverse effects of a surface dweller moving to ground.
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Alric » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:24 am

Then again there are a lot of drow who don't have purple mouths (namely any Val and drow who are warriors). It also doesn't account for the fact that there are definitely a whole lot of drow who don't look malnourished. The pigmentation colors and reduced height are more likely some sort of aura adaptation for life underground.
Alric
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Catriana » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:39 am

You can be born malnourished and still grow up healthy.

Mel'anarch also talks about it when she talks to Lu about wanting to have children born on the surface.

Edit: In short, it's not wrong, canon specifically states it, but no, it doesn't mean every single drow have purple mouths. There will always be exceptions to the rule.
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether

Next

Return to Questions and World Setting