Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki.

Return of the Dark Elves

Return of the Dark Elves

Postby partner555 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:56 am

I'm probably overthinking this but with the mere existance of dark elves like Brandy and Nulindra, is the return of Dark Elves going to play an important role in the story in the future?

Also, what do other clans think of the dark elves within the sarghress ranks?

I think maybe these questions were asked before, but I can't remember.
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Re: Return of the Dark Elves

Postby Dalvyserran » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Dark elves being born again was known for a long time, at least through the only two clans that pushed for colonization early--the Illhar'dro and Nal'sarkoth. Kyo'nne is not suprised to see Liriel. It's safe to assume that Nuqrah'shareh knew about this long before anyone else too.

Other cities might have had an early return to the surface. I mean, Mimaneid is basically just under the surface, since the city is built around the roots of one of the only surviving World Trees. They might have a decent population of dark elves by now.

The knowledge of dark elves being born again in Chel is probably still widely unknown, as a very small percentage of the city has access to the surface. Other clans have only just started colonizing, and you need time to settle down and give birth.
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Jiharn » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:42 pm

I think it was stated that the odd thing about Liriel was looking like a dark elf, yet having drow eyes.

Additionally, while the dark elf race can and is returning, the old dark elf culture that existed before the Moonless Age is gone. As for how they think, and what they expect and are used to, they're just like drow now. You can count the dark elves that were familiar with the pre-apocalypse culture on one hand, and they aren't exactly in a position to spread it.
Jiharn
Vel'akar

Postby Junglefowl26 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:57 am

Don't forget that commoner they found to be Diva.

On that note, Diva wasn't the only one left. They were rare, but the intro said there were still a few around in various places.

the old dark elf culture that existed before the Moonless Age is gone. As for how they think, and what they expect and are used to, they're just like drow now.

How are the drow not Dark Elves by those standards?
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Jiharn » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:18 am

Junglefowl26 wrote:
the old dark elf culture that existed before the Moonless Age is gone. As for how they think, and what they expect and are used to, they're just like drow now.

How are the drow not Dark Elves by those standards?

Mmmm...do you mean the dark elves being born now, or the dark elves in the societies prior to the Moonless Age?
Jiharn
Vel'akar

Postby Junglefowl26 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:53 am

I meant, if you considered modern dark elves just drow because of culture...well, didn't the drow inherit dark elf culture? I don't think there is that much difference, aseptically on racial level as opposed to the various organizations and nations that have sprung up.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Jiharn » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:57 am

Junglefowl26 wrote:I meant, if you considered modern dark elves just drow because of culture...well, didn't the drow inherit dark elf culture? I don't think there is that much difference, aseptically on racial level as opposed to the various organizations and nations that have sprung up.

Kinda inherited, but from what I understand it's something quite different from what the old dark elves once had, and has entirely replaced that, whereas the modern dark elves exist concurrently with established drow society as members of it, rather than a new separate entity.
That the old dark elf cultures are gone completely, and that the new dark elves being born are a part of drow society and as such those old dark elf cultures and kingdoms won't be recreated (or something to that effect), was something that Kern had once explicitly said. I can't recall where exactly, but I think it was in connection to a picture of a PtP family, where one young child in the picture was dark elf instead of drow. I think Catriana's character was one of those in that picture; she might be able to give a better idea of when/where that was, if we want to check on the source statements.
Jiharn
Vel'akar

Postby Catriana » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:45 am

My understanding was that the dokklafar in Chel'el'ssuloth were more reclusive and felt themselves to be superior to their drow children, which is why they were all but wiped out during the dokklafar/drow wars. If that's the case, then that meant drow were left to come up with and define their own culture. The clans are less like this, as they're typically more traditional by nature of the beast with some obvious exceptions. I guess you could say they're a skeleton of what the dokklafar culture once was, but I would hardly consider them to be just like their ancestors. Not after a millennium and hostilities between the two races.

The post in question is here

Kern wrote:Dokkalfar refer to a racial origin, just like caucassian would.

That seems like the relevant point you needed. The rest of it just talks about how the Tei'kaliath are different from Chelians in terms of skin tone because of their dokklafar/vanir ancestry.
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Jiharn » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:37 pm

Oh, I see, thank you. :)

Hmm...still not as explicit about the main thing I had said as I thought it was. Either I saw Kern say it somewhere else, or my mind is trolling me by making up memories.
Jiharn
Vel'akar

Postby AthenAltena » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:33 pm

I think it's also interesting that the drow don't really seem to care about the potential resurgence of the dark elves as a race, most likely because they aren't the same people who were their parents, grandparents etc. (and because these new dark elves are their kids so they don't want to harm them or have others hurt them). And as others said culturally they will be more similar to drow than to the original dark elf culture since there is the better part of a millennium between them.
AthenAltena
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Return to Questions and World Setting