Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki

How Screwed is the World of Drowtales?

How Screwed?

Not at all! Happy Endings all around! :D
1
2%
Only a bit. Some will die.
4
7%
Somewhat screwed. Lots of death, but happy ending.
20
33%
Almost totally screwed. Most die, but a few remain for a Pyrrhic victory.
26
43%
Completely and utterly screwed. Nearly everyone, if not everyone, is gonna die a horrible death.
9
15%
 
Total votes : 60

Re: How Screwed is the World of Drowtales?

Postby Pitdragon » Mon May 14, 2012 6:55 pm

Eltharrion wrote:In short: Drows are rather screwed with current situation unless someone can actually reach demigoddess/goddess-degree control over everything. And that happening, well, hard to say if it is even possible...


To make my comment more serious, I'd say that's the Puella end of things (sorta, on a slant, and a repeat of Sharess to some degree). Though TECHNICALLY after that conversation about gods and demons being the same thing between Griffith and Guts in the Golden Age arc, that end of the spectrum could cover it too... in a more squicky way. So while everyone is happy the war is over we know that this new beyond-Diva-kind-of ruler could one day just pit everyone against each other for the lulz whenever they get bored. Then again with the power restrictions (no true divinity) in Drowtales, that could just lead to a repeat of now, creating a new cycle. So the next stage of the same old bullshit.

The Wolf's Rain point would then be where a lot of people die, a lot of things go wrong, but in the end some sort of bittersweet victory is reached, at the cost of much, even the winners' own lives perhaps. The story could very well end with the last group of Drow doing the whole DE thing, but on a smaller scale and pulling what the Light Elves had done. It would then be left open-ended if these Fae died out or exist in some form in the future (possibly with a back-drop of "modern" humans, descended from Halmes and Hermionnes, wondering about it and laughing at such "superstition").
User avatar
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether
 
Posts: 4591
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:30 pm
Location: An island in the clouds.
Clan: Jaal'darya

Re: How Screwed is the World of Drowtales?

Postby Whispering shadows » Mon May 14, 2012 7:01 pm

Such naysayers around here! Not every setting is grimdark ya know (note: warhammer 40k is the epitome of grimdark). Life goes wrong but as I recall none of the current shit that's going down is on a global scale. Call me back when tyrnids invade.
User avatar
Whispering shadows
Vel'akar
 
Posts: 1298
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:37 am
Location: In the deepest, darkest, depths of an forgotten crypt. Alone. Forever.

Re: How Screwed is the World of Drowtales?

Postby Tsuris » Mon May 14, 2012 7:17 pm

Whispering shadows wrote:Such naysayers around here! Not every setting is grimdark ya know (note: warhammer 40k is the epitome of grimdark). Life goes wrong but as I recall none of the current shit that's going down is on a global scale. Call me back when tyrnids invade.

Tyranids would generally make any world setting worse

just look what they did to STARCRAFT *evileye*
User avatar
Tsuris
Dark Chibi Demon
 
Posts: 6152
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 4:06 am

Re: How Screwed is the World of Drowtales?

Postby Eltharrion » Mon May 14, 2012 7:31 pm

Whispering shadows wrote:Such naysayers around here! Not every setting is grimdark ya know (note: warhammer 40k is the epitome of grimdark). Life goes wrong but as I recall none of the current shit that's going down is on a global scale. Call me back when tyrnids invade.
On 40K, I have only one thing to say that invalids the whole grimness, turning it only into 95% grimness.
T'au. I mean, I'm a T'au player myself, and I just CAN'T find anything grim in them!
But enough with this topic for now, don't ya say? Let's continue to main issue. ->

Pitdragon wrote:To make my comment more serious, I'd say that's the Puella end of things (sorta, on a slant, and a repeat of Sharess to some degree). Though TECHNICALLY after that conversation about gods and demons being the same thing between Griffith and Guts in the Golden Age arc, that end of the spectrum could cover it too... in a more squicky way. So while everyone is happy the war is over we know that this new beyond-Diva-kind-of ruler could one day just pit everyone against each other for the lulz whenever they get bored. Then again with the power restrictions (no true divinity) in Drowtales, that could just lead to a repeat of now, creating a new cycle. So the next stage of the same old bullshit.

The Wolf's Rain point would then be where a lot of people die, a lot of things go wrong, but in the end some sort of bittersweet victory is reached, at the cost of much, even the winners' own lives perhaps. The story could very well end with the last group of Drow doing the whole DE thing, but on a smaller scale and pulling what the Light Elves had done. It would then be left open-ended if these Fae died out or exist in some form in the future (possibly with a back-drop of "modern" humans, descended from Halmes and Hermionnes, wondering about it and laughing at such "superstition").


Excellent points, I must say. At first I was bit confused with the Puella as I've never watched it, and Berserk... Well, I kinda know the main plotline, but most of it still in dark for me (don't worry, you didn't make any revelations from the plot to me).

My point of Utawarerumono was that most of people would survive, but there would be death and/or disappearance of certain important people (clan leaders, higher officers,some of the main characters, Diva herself in public, some extremely important clan altogether), and this death would cause dramatic changes among the survivors, either possibly plunging them to civil war that'd destroy them all, make all drift slowly apart and go for their own paths (most possibly meaning death for majority of drow) or cause them to reach for better understanding and mutual cooperation.
User avatar
Eltharrion
Dragon of the Nether
 
Posts: 4178
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:47 pm
Location: Body: Finland - Mind: The cracks between universe
Clan: Tei'kaliath

Re: How Screwed is the World of Drowtales?

Postby Pitdragon » Mon May 14, 2012 8:10 pm

Eltharrion wrote:
Excellent points, I must say. At first I was bit confused with the Puella as I've never watched it, and Berserk... Well, I kinda know the main plotline, but most of it still in dark for me (don't worry, you didn't make any revelations from the plot to me).


Admittedly, I haven't seen much of Puella at all, but I rode the intertubes to find out the rest of it. On the side of Berserk, that doesn't really reveal much of the plot per se, but it did give me an insight into just how craptastical that setting is - that conversation pretty much summed up that if there is Divinity in that world, it is both Good and Evil, true monotheism. The people just don't realize it yet...

(The manga of course has much further insight, plus the idea of nature being separate from that in some way)
User avatar
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether
 
Posts: 4591
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:30 pm
Location: An island in the clouds.
Clan: Jaal'darya

Re: How Screwed is the World of Drowtales?

Postby Eltharrion » Mon May 14, 2012 8:23 pm

Pitdragon wrote:Admittedly, I haven't seen much of Puella at all, but I rode the intertubes to find out the rest of it. On the side of Berserk, that doesn't really reveal much of the plot per se, but it did give me an insight into just how craptastical that setting is - that conversation pretty much summed up that if there is Divinity in that world, it is both Good and Evil, true monotheism. The people just don't realize it yet...

(The manga of course has much further insight, plus the idea of nature being separate from that in some way)

My friend who read Berserk manga used to say "it's f***** up to the max in the end by all aspects, but ya still read it".
Don't know if he told me the truth. Well, at least that was his own opinion.
Now I'm just waiting for him to finish reading Drowtales so I can clearly ask "okay, how screwed this series' world is in your opinion?"

It's rather nice to have a friend you can talk with about nearly any fantasy setting and actually get some good facts to rise up from the conversation instead of all-time flaming. I've got too many friends who start to rage if you say anything negative from the shows/books/series they enjoy... And vice vers if ya like anything they dislike.
User avatar
Eltharrion
Dragon of the Nether
 
Posts: 4178
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:47 pm
Location: Body: Finland - Mind: The cracks between universe
Clan: Tei'kaliath

Re: How Screwed is the World of Drowtales?

Postby Whispering shadows » Mon May 14, 2012 8:40 pm

Eltharrion wrote: I've got too many friends who start to rage if you say anything negative from the shows/books/series they enjoy... And vice vers if ya like anything they dislike.

I feel your pain brother. not that im trying to start an edition war with a comment but I've found that I like 4e better then 3.5 because it's easier to wrap your head around plus the combat is more then just "I hit you, take 1d8+x". My only real problem however is not the editon quality thing most pro 3.5 anti 4.0 players rant about its their arguments and use of logic I have a problem with. Most of their complaints are totally illogical and consist mostly of emotion rather then a reasoned arguement for why they prefer 3.5 over 4.0. Sometimes its downright hypocritical cause I heard quite a few of those people declare "they would never buy another set of rulebooks for dnd again and would defend 3.5 to the last". Next thing ya know they have bought every pathfinder book available for their collection. Sorry for the minor rant and again I'm not trying to invoke an editon war just geting something off my mind thats been there for awhile.
User avatar
Whispering shadows
Vel'akar
 
Posts: 1298
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:37 am
Location: In the deepest, darkest, depths of an forgotten crypt. Alone. Forever.

Re: How Screwed is the World of Drowtales?

Postby Doom Chinchilla » Mon May 14, 2012 10:29 pm

Whispering shadows wrote:
Eltharrion wrote: I've got too many friends who start to rage if you say anything negative from the shows/books/series they enjoy... And vice vers if ya like anything they dislike.

I feel your pain brother. not that im trying to start an edition war with a comment but I've found that I like 4e better then 3.5 because it's easier to wrap your head around plus the combat is more then just "I hit you, take 1d8+x". My only real problem however is not the editon quality thing most pro 3.5 anti 4.0 players rant about its their arguments and use of logic I have a problem with. Most of their complaints are totally illogical and consist mostly of emotion rather then a reasoned arguement for why they prefer 3.5 over 4.0. Sometimes its downright hypocritical cause I heard quite a few of those people declare "they would never buy another set of rulebooks for dnd again and would defend 3.5 to the last". Next thing ya know they have bought every pathfinder book available for their collection. Sorry for the minor rant and again I'm not trying to invoke an editon war just geting something off my mind thats been there for awhile.


My problem with 4th edition is that it has lost the feel to be roleplaying wizards or rogues or warriors or whatever...a 3.5 rogue or barbarian or a paladin works because they have some archetypical skillset that we recognize: The rogue hides in the shadows and backstab you, the barbarian go mad and crush everything in his path, the paladin´s faith gives him strength to resist evil magic and hit evil creatures harder...etc. But 4th edition has given them weird powers that I can´t identify with their archetypes: The 4th paladin, for example, can select a sort of hypno-power that makes the baddies ignore his allies and attack him instead (no matter if they know that someone else in the team is more dangerous) and another power that makes him a kind of vampire that heal his wounds when hurting other people...
User avatar
Doom Chinchilla
Dragon of the Nether
 
Posts: 3100
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:14 pm
Location: Aboard the Bird-Of-The-River, sailing the Yann to Bethmoora
Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Re: How Screwed is the World of Drowtales?

Postby mandar » Tue May 15, 2012 7:11 am

Almost totally screwed. Most die, but a few remain for a Pyrrhic victory.

I expect this, even if the war will be resolved I expect Chel to lie in ruins after that, where a group of survivors from random clans, possible lead by Ariel and other clans younger cast, will go into the surface to some colony(maybe that free one YS) to face in their weakened state Hermionnes army, which rather won't be a happy ending.
If there won't be quick peace Drow and all other are screwed.
Also releasing of the old demon god, flower plague may add to the effect here too to abandon Chel if released.
I expect the older main cast simply to die off or be killed, Quain, Rosof, all Sharen sisters etc (Sillice and Diva too) to give a clean start for yougner generation later without the old Sharen vs Sargrhess grudge held for centuries and making them work together impossible by now(still I kinda wish to see Mel get her happy ending in a way, but maybe for that she would have to find another girlfriend than Snadhya to come true in future :P)...
User avatar
mandar
Summoner
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 9:56 am
Clan: Sharen

Re: How Screwed is the World of Drowtales?

Postby James Rye » Tue May 15, 2012 1:38 pm

I think you forgot the Jaal bio weapon virus in your list there. ^^
User avatar
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether
 
Posts: 3380
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:02 pm
Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Re: How Screwed is the World of Drowtales?

Postby Jiharn » Tue May 15, 2012 2:58 pm

Eltharrion wrote:
Pitdragon wrote:Admittedly, I haven't seen much of Puella at all, but I rode the intertubes to find out the rest of it. On the side of Berserk, that doesn't really reveal much of the plot per se, but it did give me an insight into just how craptastical that setting is - that conversation pretty much summed up that if there is Divinity in that world, it is both Good and Evil, true monotheism. The people just don't realize it yet...

(The manga of course has much further insight, plus the idea of nature being separate from that in some way)

My friend who read Berserk manga used to say "it's f***** up to the max in the end by all aspects, but ya still read it".
Don't know if he told me the truth. Well, at least that was his own opinion.


I have not watched Puella, either. I am quite familiar with Berserk, though. I think your friend might be misinforming you somewhat, since the manga is still going. The anime does have an endpoint, though, cutting off at the end of the Golden Age arc, which happens to be the single most depressing point in the entire series. It's interesting to note that with Berserk, despite how utterly crappy the world is, the manga still seems to support the idea that people should still have some idealism and hope in order to still push forward and stay sane.

About the sliding scale that Pitdragon gave, though, we should at least take heart that DrowTales isn't done by "Kill 'Em All Tomino". We don't need another Space Runaway Ideon. You want grim and dark? There's your grim and dark.
User avatar
Jiharn
Vel'akar
 
Posts: 2102
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:16 pm

Re: How Screwed is the World of Drowtales?

Postby Leopardwerecat » Tue May 15, 2012 8:19 pm

"Rock falls, everyone dies"- type scenario.

Cause the Chel cavern will collapse, or a massive wave hairy and unwashed Hermione army will take it over, and anyone who didn't escape to the surface in time is borked.
User avatar
Leopardwerecat
Demon
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:42 am
Location: Patiently waiting for the war to end at the Jaal'darya Citadel.
Clan: Jaal'darya

Re: How Screwed is the World of Drowtales?

Postby mandar » Tue May 15, 2012 9:31 pm

Also we could get ending similiar to "Grave of the Fireflies" scenario, slowly everyone dying due to the flower bioweapon or mana deprevation with Ariel managing to have one last look on the surface and then dying, of course before she would loose all her close ones and would have to cremate/bury them during the desperate journey from demon/flower infected Chel hell...
User avatar
mandar
Summoner
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 9:56 am
Clan: Sharen

Re: How Screwed is the World of Drowtales?

Postby Avalon » Tue May 15, 2012 9:48 pm

Personally, I think it's rather telling that it's the fourth option that has gotten the most votes and that the first haven't gotten any yet. Guess Kern has succeeded in getting us to always expect the worst.
Avalon
Vel'akar
 
Posts: 1044
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 11:47 am
Location: In my top secret hideout, plotting world domination
Clan: Tei'kaliath

Re: How Screwed is the World of Drowtales?

Postby 'Lement » Wed May 16, 2012 6:42 pm

Avalon wrote:Personally, I think it's rather telling that it's the fourth option that has gotten the most votes and that the first haven't gotten any yet. Guess Kern has succeeded in getting us to always expect the worst.

No, that would be vast majority of votes going towards the last one.

Anyhow, it makes sense in DT's world, though depending how bad a threat Hermionnes are - bad enough to wipe out all the cities + Black Sun? Okay, few cities may essentially wipe themselves out....

Mimaneid would probably still remain, though...Wait a sec. Yeah. They would set fire to the world tree/smoke them out.

Even if they're unstoppable force there's still options like LE holdouts.
User avatar
'Lement
Vel'akar
 
Posts: 1257
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:42 pm
Location: Estonia
Clan: Sullisin'rune

PreviousNext

Return to Questions and World setting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests