Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki

Visual Guides feedback and announcements

Re: Visual Guides feedback and announcements

Postby Shoedrinker » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:35 am

MEK1724 wrote:Meck Tei'Kaliath

Though he is there, he is not named in the main comic and, to be honest, he only makes a very small, one page cameo appearance. I honestly doubt we will seeing him again (outside PTP), so, if it were to me, I would rule him out :c ... for now. Sorry.

Roses Ablaze wrote:Drys'dia (Chrys' sister)

I don't remember her.
Shoedrinker
Summoner

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby MEK1724 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:56 am

Shoedrinker wrote:I don't remember her.

She is mentioned here , but doesn't appear in person , during the chapter.
MEK1724
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Roses Ablaze » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:40 am

Context seems to indicate she's the one with the weird headdress on the next page. People are saying it's Seph, but the only thing they're going on is the hair.
Roses Ablaze
Vel'akar

Postby embair » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:14 pm

That's one impressive list! Gonna go through it more thoroughly once I have a little more time. Some of the names reminded me of a few things that should have been noted in the conception in the first place, and for that i apologize:
- I'm often intetntionally leaving out characters which while important for some personal story are largely irrelevant to the "clan politics" (the case of Ariel's companions or Lu's boyfriend)
- The guide is ment to help the reader remember who the reccuring characters are. Therefore, The poor characters which appear only to die in the same chapter are left out. Same for those that died before the story even started and others who I for whatever reason dare to brand as "episodic". This was originally also the case of Davya tower Headmasters, but I think I'll be svayed into including those in the end (Ashu'athama made it already, and the others will at least make some clan sections seem a bit less empty)
embair
Nether Seed

Postby embair » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:48 pm

The guide was updated.

There are many characters who I'm not sure where to look for. I've added the list to the first post. I'll find the time go through the chapters and find them eventually, but any help is aprecciated. On a completely unrelated note, thanks for the links so far MEK1724! *heehee*

Some other notes:

Not sure about including Xyrrai'zetsu. Sharen section is already pretty extensive and I wouldn't want to clutter it more with a house that might be irrelevant outside of prologue. Anyway where did we learn Tialu'tiels name? If it's at some point later in the story, that would be a strong argument to include them.

Explanation for the factions that got left out:
- Stone Company: As much as I loved the audiobooks, I wouldn't call them a faction
- Vanaheimr elves: Was considering them before, but decided to leave them out in the end, as they don't play any part in Chel's politics.

People not included for various reasons (the characters marked as "personal storyline" will appear in a different type of guide, which is currently in the making):
- Sannindi'ligir Val'Dutanvir - dead before the story began
- Ileh'gro (manager of a surface outpost) - episodic
- Kahru - episodic
- Kami'seide Val'Kyorl'solenurn - personal storyline
- Waer Sarghress - episodic
- Niende - personal storyline
- Abyte (ex-warden) - personal storyline
- Ragini (Diva's slave) - episodic & personal storyline
- / Ariel's companions / - personal storyline
embair
Nether Seed

Postby Roses Ablaze » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:48 am

embair wrote:WANTED (Have you seen this person? Please report the sighting!):
  • Storr Sann'ligir (Minka's brother)

First appeared here. He is the person leading the group, though his identity was only revealed in the mostly black and white sidestory that Lulianne told.

embair wrote:
  • Saell (Lulianne's niece)

Shapeshifter guilt-trip/creepy-ass summoning here.

embair wrote:
  • Nel'ambi Sarghress (highland raider)

She's one of the raiders here, though I'd consider her episodic (so far).

embair wrote:
  • Valo Sarghress (Quill'yate's grandson and highland raider)

He first appeared in the previous page, but here's a better picture of him (albeit with his eyes closed).

embair wrote:
  • Kiira'liss Sarghress (highland raider)

The redhead on the same page that introduced Nel'ambi.

embair wrote:
  • Melindir Sarghress (soldier)

One of the soldiers that got slaughtered in Chapter 10. Probably not good to put in the guide, then.

embair wrote:
  • Ijin (demonic messenger)

Post-remake, she first appears here and in the following pages. Still-canon pre-remake has a clearer image though.

embair wrote:
  • Dis (one of Nyo'ka's scourges)

The straight-haired gal here.
Roses Ablaze
Vel'akar

Postby Exastiken » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:11 am

Roses Ablaze wrote:
embair wrote:WANTED (Have you seen this person? Please report the sighting!):
  • Storr Sann'ligir (Minka's brother)

First appeared here. He is the person leading the group, though his identity was only revealed in the mostly black and white sidestory that Lulianne told.

embair wrote:
  • Saell (Lulianne's niece)

Shapeshifter guilt-trip/creepy-ass summoning here.

embair wrote:
  • Nel'ambi Sarghress (highland raider)

She's one of the raiders here, though I'd consider her episodic (so far).

embair wrote:
  • Valo Sarghress (Quill'yate's grandson and highland raider)

He first appeared in the previous page, but here's a better picture of him (albeit with his eyes closed).

embair wrote:
  • Kiira'liss Sarghress (highland raider)

The redhead on the same page that introduced Nel'ambi.

embair wrote:
  • Melindir Sarghress (soldier)

One of the soldiers that got slaughtered in Chapter 10. Probably not good to put in the guide, then.

embair wrote:
  • Ijin (demonic messenger)

Post-remake, she first appears here and in the following pages. Still-canon pre-remake has a clearer image though.

embair wrote:
  • Dis (one of Nyo'ka's scourges)

The straight-haired gal here.

Nice, Valo is streaming snot in the picture XD
Exastiken
Summoner

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Roses Ablaze » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:22 am

The lighting's better though. ^^; And you can see more of his face.

ETA: Also, do you think you could make separate graphics for each of the Clans? The size of the current guide makes it kind of unwieldy...
Roses Ablaze
Vel'akar

Postby embair » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:44 pm

Thanks for the links! Guide updated with Dis and Kira'liss. The others didn't fit for one reason or other (ahem, I'm not adding Valo until I have a front and socially acceptabble appearance :D), but the info won't go in vain.

Roses Ablaze wrote:ETA: Also, do you think you could make separate graphics for each of the Clans? The size of the current guide makes it kind of unwieldy...

[dick mode]Here's your dedicated Sarghress guide or a dedicated Vloz guide, just ignore any rubbish on the sides :P [/dick mode]. In all seriousness, 10 separated graphics seems like too much a pain in the ass to update. What I could do is make the whole guide available for download as one huge high-res image, if there would be a demand for that.

If there's something in particular that makes the guide uncomfortable to use for you, I'd be interested to hear about it. For instance I noticed the panning can get a bit choppy on some browsers and lower-end computers, but I have little idea on how wide spread such issues are.
embair
Nether Seed

Postby embair » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:17 am

The Story guide is now released! While the point of the Clans guide was to give an overview of all the important clans and characters in Chel, the Story Guide should give an overview of what happened in the main story so far. You should be able to use it to track appearance of main characters in various chapters, or to find in which chapter a particular memorable event occured.

Same as with the Clans Guide, I will be relying on you guys to help me track down any mistakes and glitches. Details about the guide conception will be added to the opening post.

As a bonus, both guides now have a "toggle full size" link, which enables you to use more of the space available on your display while still keeping the search & navigation controls.

Finally let me apologize to those of you, who discovered an early version of the Story guide on the wiki a month ago, only to see it removed shortly after. Hopefully you find the final version worth the wait.
embair
Nether Seed

Postby Max_black0 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:04 am

I like the story guide reasonably clear and saves me having to search thru all the chapters.
But how much of an appereance does a character need before they are mentioned?
I only ask because Syphile makes a small appereance in Ch.5, which I noticed isn't listed.
Max_black0
Vel'akar

Postby embair » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:12 am

Max_black0 wrote:I like the story guide reasonably clear and saves me having to search thru all the chapters.
But how much of an appereance does a character need before they are mentioned?
I only ask because Syphile makes a small appereance in Ch.5, which I noticed isn't listed.

Glad you like it!

Since it isn't Syphille's first appearance in the story, she should be mentioned only if she relates strongly to the events depicted. Which IS actually true for the middle panel, many people might remember it as "the part where syphille loses stuff to ariel" - so I'll add Syphille there with the next update. I will also add Quain'tana to the panel above, because it is as much about "dealing with Mir'kiin" as it is about "Proving ones worth in front of Quain".

Hopefully this illustrates the kind of reasoning I use to decide which characters to mention. It could be summed up as "whatever works best to describe the events". This is obviously quite subjective (different people may find different bits in the chapters memorable or "defining"), so the community feedback will be essential to making it more complete.
embair
Nether Seed

Postby Finn MacCool » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:17 am

the half-dragon guy is called "Rikshakar", not "Rikshasar".
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Dalvyserran » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:13 pm

For the Story Guide, chapter 32 section, Kio'nel's name is spelled as "Kiolen". In ch 31 he is called both Kio'nel and Kiolen, so I'm not sure which is it.
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Iawaris » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:30 pm

Story guide Chapter 16: Yami'ni's and Saph'ala's names were mixed up, they're later referenced correctly, but here Yami'ni is called Saph'ala and Saph'ala is called Yami'ni.
Iawaris
Summoner

PreviousNext

Return to Questions and World setting