Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki

Visual Guides feedback and announcements

Visual Guides feedback and announcements

Postby embair » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:16 pm

This is a place for discussion about the Visual Guide To The Cast (or Clans Guide for short) and the Story Guide.

Greetings to fellow drowtales enthusiasts. I am eager to hear your suggestions and remarks concerning the Visual guides. It is highly probable that there are some inconsistencies and missing characters in the guides, and I am kind of relying on you guys to help me track those down.

The guides conception (please read before suggesting changes):

Visual guide to the cast
  • Only canon characters and relations of Moonless Age are relevant for the guide
  • Only characters with known names are included (sorry to that-guy-who-said-that-thing-in-chapter-X-and-is-apparently-a-son-of-Y)
  • Characters which are a part of a personal storyline but largely irrelevant outside of it are not included
  • Very minor characters and characters who die in the same chapter in which they first appear are generally not included
  • The placement and relations of each character are generally determined by what is known at the moment of his/her first appearance in the story (hence Ariel as Quain's daughter, Tir'ade as Kyorl'Solenurn etc.)
  • There is currently no place for clanless characters. This might change in the future.

Story guide
  • If a tracked character appears in a chapter, then (and only then) there is an image box attached to his/her line.
  • The purpose of the image boxes is to bring back memories to the events in question, ideally without containing any blatant spoilers for a reader who didn't read the chapter yet.
  • Character portraits placement: Always show first appearance of a new character
  • Character portraits placement: When desirable, show portraits for the main characters involved in the events (sometimes this is helpfull for remembering the events, sometimes it might be better to leave more space for the background image instead).
Last edited by embair on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
embair
Nether Seed

Re: Visual Guides feedback and announcements

Postby AthenAltena » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:08 pm

Very cool! I just have a few spelling corrections.

Ill'hardro is misspelled in the top menu (missing the second R).

Quain'tana, Kharla'ggen, Asira'malika, Nega'fanea and Rel'lumia's Ill'haress titles are missing the second S at the end.

Ariel's Sarghress title is missing the second R, as is Kor'maril, Sang, Sarnel and Itan'sha's.
AthenAltena
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Reva » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:19 am

Shala is written as "Shalla"

Kalki is listed as "Val'Sharen". I thought she would be "Nidraa'chal", but if you are going by Snadhya's title it should be Vel'Sharen.

Shinae is refered as Val and Vel Sharen in the comic, but here she's just Sharen.

Sene'kha, Kharla'ggen, Kiel'ndia, Mir'kiin, Larvova, Nyo'ka, Kar'liir and Kessen are refered as Val'Vlozress.

Ven'nedia is refered as "former Ill'haress", which doesn't make sense since the Vloz'ress weren't a proper clan when she was in charge, much less a great clan.

Luth'el is refered as Beldrobbaen. I thought they were all Val?
Reva
Vel'akar

Postby embair » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:35 pm

Updated version of the guide is online, thank you for the valuable input so far!

In the case of Luth'el not being Val, i removed the title completely, as there is no proof one way or the other.
embair
Nether Seed

Postby Smokehammer » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:50 pm

In the Sharen Chart, under Sarv'Swati's family Sun'ya and Nori'ga's names are reversed. Also according to this page of concept art http://www.drowtales.com/wordpress/?p=2849 Vidhi'yani is Sarv'swati's daughter and thus requires a black line. Also on this page http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive//20110521c30p033.jpg Sun'ya refers to Vidhi as sister so its safe to assume theyre directly related atleast to each other even if the concept art isnt true about Vidhi being Sarv's daughter.

Then in Sillice's family youre missing Kyne's mother Sae'ryne(Sillice's Daughter), Kau'Shala(Sillice's son), Kyne(granddaughter) and Kadara(Sillice's daughter).

Sate'ja has to be in Nishi's family somewhere and this guy here http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive//20090612c17p015.jpg belongs somewhere in Zala'ess's family. Also poor Ashu'Athma (Diva's son) is forgotten completely.

..And Chrys's cousin here http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive//20100720c25p031.jpg has to a be son of either Nishi or Sarv'swati, since its kinda doubtful Sillice would have a Nidra in the wood pile -though that might be a cool twist.
Smokehammer
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby embair » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:58 pm

@Smokehammer: Thanks for the observations and double thanks for providing links to evidence where needed. That spares me a lot of time.

Sharen section was updated.

The Sillice's male follower and the Chrystel's cousin will both have to wait until they are important enough to have names :P. I'll add a note about that to the guide conception too.
embair
Nether Seed

Postby Smokehammer » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:01 pm

Ah sweet! Thanks for all the work and yeah makes sense about the nameless clan members, I was just you know hoping you could blackmail Kern into giving them names for the guide XD

I dunno if you omitted Sae'ryne's picture because there are only B&Ws of her or you couldnt find her so here's a picture if she's just being elusive, if not feel free to beat me with cooked spaghetti noodles and ignore it.

Smokehammer
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby embair » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:00 pm

Smokehammer wrote:Ah sweet! Thanks for all the work and yeah makes sense about the nameless clan members, I was just you know hoping you could blackmail Kern into giving them names for the guide XD

:D

Smokehammer wrote:I dunno if you omitted Sae'ryne's picture because there are only B&Ws of her or you couldnt find her so here's a picture if she's just being elusive, if not feel free to beat me with cooked spaghetti noodles and ignore it.

*takes his spaghetti cat'o nine tails, but it's overcooked and thus falls apart*
It was partly becouse of the B&W image that would clash horribly with everything else and partly becouse she is a very minor character that was unfortunate enough to die almost before the story even started. I wanted to leave her out completely at first, but didn't want to reduce the Kyno-Sillice link to the mysterious "distant family".
embair
Nether Seed

Postby Finn MacCool » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:44 pm

chrys'tel's cousin is most probably called kio'nel, not kiolen. while the latter name is used on the first occasion he's named, it's kio'nel both on page 24 of chapter 31 and in the news post with his concept art.

edit: oh, and there's some more:
- "kes'sen" has an "s" too many (probably before the apostrophe)
- "kharla'ggen" is lacking a "g".
- the last part of "(Val')Jaal'darya" has to be lowercased everywhere
- it should be "val'jaal'darya" beneath asira'malika and wi'am's names
- "sil'lice" is lacking an apostrophe
- it should be "highland raiders"
- at least according to the wiki, quill'yate's second name is "yurun'hiir" without an "o"
- "suu'be" has a superfluous apostrophe at the end
- the last part in "(Val')Kyorl'solenurn" has to be lowercased everywhere
- "lioshi" is spelled with an "i" (cp. page 25 of chapter 15)
- "illhar'dro" is missing an "l" under frisk's name
- while the last part of "(Val')Nal'sarkoth" was maybe capitalized at some time, Kern has been lowercasing it up to now
- at least according to page 19 of chapter 4 "sann'ligr" is missing another "n"
- "siyah'khorshed" is spelled with an apostrophe instead of the hyphen nowadays, i think, and the alternative name is definitely just "black sun" without plural "s"

meh, it's always the same. you want to post about one little bug and then you can't stop...
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby MEK1724 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:53 pm

Norifu house also has Nom'ina .... and you spelt Kyne's name as "Kyno"

embair wrote:Only canon relations of Moonless Age are relevant for the guide

Do things said in the forums by the authors count as cannon ? Because if not we wouldn't actually know Kel is related to Nei from the main comic. If the answer is yes, there's probably a few extra things I can dig up.
MEK1724
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby embair » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:54 am

Thanks! It amuses me that i was completely blind to Kharlas second g or Sil'lices apostrophe for all this time ^^; .
Finn MacCool wrote:
- "siyah'khorshed" is spelled with an apostrophe instead of the hyphen nowadays, i think, and the alternative name is definitely just "black sun" without plural "s"

I used the hyphen due to it's occurence in ch.15 p.16. There's an apostrophe later in ch.30 p.36 but well, I wouldn't call Farasanks gibberish exactly a credible resource :) . Is there any other source you are refering to?
No doubts about Black Sun ofc, blame Mass Effect 2 for the typo :).

MEK1724 wrote:Do things said in the forums by the authors count as cannon ? Because if not we wouldn't actually know Kel is related to Nei from the main comic. If the answer is yes, there's probably a few extra things I can dig up.

I'd say yes in some cases, but I'll be very cautious with including those. Some limitations that come to my mind:
- it should be a relatively recent post (certainly after the remake of any relevant chapters)
- it should be said clearly and directly, not just implied
- it must be said by Kern himself, AFAIK he's the only one who can make canon statements

As for the Kel - Nei link, I believe I took that information from the old worldsetting pages. Yeah a big leap of faith right there ^^;, but I presume there's no reason for that particular relationship to become outdated.

Updated version of the guide will be uploaded later today.
EDIT: New version uploaded. Found a glaring mistake in my latest update which was just too embarassing *rolleyes*
embair
Nether Seed

Postby Finn MacCool » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:38 am

embair wrote:
Finn MacCool wrote:

I used the hyphen due to it's occurence in ch.15 p.16. There's an apostrophe later in ch.30 p.36 but well, I wouldn't call Farasanks gibberish exactly a credible resource :) . Is there any other source you are refering to?

yes, this news post.
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby embair » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:43 am

Finn MacCool wrote:yes, this news post.

I see, apostrophe it shall be then.
embair
Nether Seed

Postby Roses Ablaze » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:20 pm

Other Factions:
Meck Tei'kaliath appeared in the main comic, so I think he ought to be included.
I think the Stone Company should have their own area. Dhal'zin is the leader and Fen and Kai are both members.
I also think vans of Vanaheimr should have their own area. So far we know of Freyja van Miroenir, Freyja's brother Freyr van Miroenir, and the Vala; Hudr van Trehar. (And Freyja and Freyr's father, but we don't know his name).

Dutan'vir:
Lulianne was a Sarghress when she first appeared. Her status as a former Dutan'vir wasn't revealed until later, only heavily implied.
Sannindi'ligir was the Illhar'ess of the Dutan'vir. The guide is also missing Storr Sann'ligir (Minka's brother) and Saell (Lulianne's niece).

Nal'sarkoth:
Tirre'nolt (headmaster at the Orthorbbae towers) is missing.

Illhar'dro:
Jhin'elam (Sorane'saniil's great-uncle and headmaster at the Orthorbbae towers) and Ileh'gro (manager of a surface outpost) are missing.

Sullisin'rune:
Soleam'ji (mana manipulation teacher under Kel'noz) and Feral'ssin (headmaster of one of the towers) are missing.

Kyorl'solenurn:
Teji'tsuke (headmaster of one of the towers), Kahru (templar), Se'tewa (Order of Serenity warden), and Kami'seide (unknown relation to Shimi'lande) are missing.
Valle'drielle is Shimi'lande's sister according to the Worldsetting pages.

Sarghress:
Liriel (Ariel's slave), Jer'kole (soldier with some unkown relation to Syphile), Waer (wolf caretaker), Vaelia (Ariel's slave initially), Niende (Ariel's tutor), Antalya (fallen legion), Nel'ambi (highland raider), Valo (Quill'yate's grandson and highland raider), Kiira'liss (highland raider), Melindir (soldier), Celia (Kor'maril's mate and soldier), Seb'rath (soldier), Yunir (soldier), Karan (soldier), Shi'kan (Kor's friend and soldier), Melodia (Ariel's pet), Rek'maar (Lulianne's mate), Jes (soldier), Atrick (soldier), and Abyte (ex-warden) are missing.
Quill'yate is also a de'vess, of the Yurun'hiir house.
Suu'be and Mandroga's positions should be reversed. Suu'be is the de'vess; Mandroga is her mate.

Sharen:
We including members of the Xyrrai'zetsu? Oiloss'lin is the de'vess, and Tialu'tiel is her daughter.
Ragini (Diva's slave) and Drys'dia (Chrys' sister) are missing.

Vloz'ress:
Maliir'kha (Orthorbbae headmaster), Ijin (demonic messenger), and Dis (one of Nyo'ka's scourges) are missing.

Beldrobbaen:
Naubol'oth is missing under the Beldrobbaen. He is a headmaster at the Orthorbbae.
Roses Ablaze
Vel'akar

Postby MEK1724 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:13 am

Other Faction (the linkening) :
Meck Tei'Kaliath , stone company .
Orthobae Headmasters :
Are here , and following pages.
Sulli :
Soleam'ji
Illhardro:
Illehgro
Kyorl :
Kahru ,Se'tewa ,Kami'seide (who is a doll morphed by Kharla) .
Sarghress :
Most of the highland raiders mentioned are here (not all by name though).
Waer and Niende
Andrifel is missing and was named by Suntiger here.( forum post for this page)
Melindir , Celia , Seb'rath , Yunir , Karan here and the next few pages .
Shikan , Atric ,Abyte .
Sharen:
Xyrrai'zestu are in the prolouge , though I'm not sure how you'd know who's who except from the wiki or the forums ?
Vloz'ress;
Dis .
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Tions family tree , gets some elaboration from Kite here.
Last edited by MEK1724 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
MEK1724
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Next

Return to Questions and World setting