Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki.

Drow Society and Such Things

Re: Drow Society and Such Things

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:47 am

*proceeds to do sexy things to you to make you divulge your secrets*

....wait... that may be backwards...
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Clan: Sarghress

Re: Drow Romance

Postby Pitdragon » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:00 am

suntiger745 wrote:Look at real world college students (since they can have sex as much as they want, theoretically). How large a % of them get it on as soon and as much as they can?
Just because you can doesn't mean you will. ;)

All I can remember of college was the physics library. :(

Also, I gathered that due to more difficult lives and needs to establish stability and raise children, a commoner would be slightly more likely* to have something close to monogamy, at least on the emotional side of the relationship, than a Val who has a better stability network, better setup for child care, and probably less physically dangerous jobs, and plus a Val would have the pick of the litter for choosing mates that would allow their children to have a variety of talents magically. You have your variations of course (Zala going back to Sabrror more often, Ash'waren having her connection to Quain but probably not exclusively, a Sarghess soldier perhaps enjoying many mates for fun, or a blacksmith that sticks usually to one mate who works the bookkeeping side of their business), but you could probably see more stable family structures that include mates among the commoners than among the Vals**.

*Not 100%, mind you, especially if their common lover is of the same gender and they still want kids. Polygamy with all the mates living together could happen too.
**Where a male Val will probably stay with his mother's house and only rarely go reside with his mate if she wishes to keep him around more (Chrys'tel's cousin and the Ilhar'dro Nidraa'chal girl), and the female Val relies on her children to help raise their younger siblings so she doesn't have to rely on mates if she doesn't want to.
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:44 am

Urgh... so confusing...
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby suntiger745 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:01 pm

That's because people and clans are portrayed fairly realistically, instead of everyone of a certain clan or social level being the same.
Just like real life, which can be pretty damn confusing too. ;)
suntiger745
Kern's minion

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:19 pm

How in the hell does one manage to understand human society?!
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby blackshade10 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:36 pm

DeadPigeonGolem wrote:How in the hell does one manage to understand human society?!

Exactly. : P
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Location: Ashie Cleavage, plotting war against those of the Zala cleavage.
Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby suntiger745 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:28 pm

DeadPigeonGolem wrote:How in the hell does one manage to understand human society?!

We don't, not completely. We have to muddle along as best we can.
Laws are an attempt to give everyone rules and guidelines to promote a kind of understanding so there will be some cohesion on a larger level, but a society is still so much more.

Keeping an open mind and treating others as you want to be treated yourself is a good guideline for understanding though. :)
If you apply that to the society in Chel'el'sussoloth it reveals some interesting things about the city and its people...
suntiger745
Kern's minion

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:34 pm

I REALLY need to write the fanfiction/roleplot.
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:16 am

Duke Nukem wrote:Do drow circumcize their young?

That actually seems like something the Sarghress would do. First trial of pain and all that. They probably do it when the kids are, like, 12 or something. Whatever age Ariel had to go and smash that one kid to death.
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby Max_black0 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:39 am

DeadPigeonGolem wrote:
Duke Nukem wrote:Do drow circumcize their young?

That actually seems like something the Sarghress would do. First trial of pain and all that. They probably do it when the kids are, like, 12 or something. Whatever age Ariel had to go and smash that one kid to death.

Sarnel:um...I'd really rather not...
Koil'dorath:Silence Maggot!
Ariel:*waves a sword* I'm ready!
Max_black0
Vel'akar

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:52 am

Quain'tana: Do it or I'll make you fight Ariel to the death again. And we all know that Ariel could whup your ass.
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby Sharptooth » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:04 pm

If it’s fairly standard to think that the Beldroban and the Sharen wouldn’t think highly of relationships with commoners is Sabrror at best Zala’ess’s cousin? Or can you adopt your spouse into your clan from another noble clan if you want to? And if you can do that what happens to them when you get sick of them? Could they stay say Sharen or would they be Val’whoevertheycamefrom again?
Sharptooth
Nether Seed

Clan: Sharen

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:08 pm

I've always interpreted Drow marriage customs as similar to those of Qing Dynasty China. With that in mind, I'd assume that trading of males (which would take the role of the female in Qing society) between clans would signify peace and alliance. Therefore, taking a spouse from another clan would require that clan to be friendly. It'd be a bad plan for a Sharen Female to marry a Sarghress Male, for example.
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby Sharptooth » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:36 pm

But its my understanding that Drow dont marry they just hang out together until they get bored. If thats the case no bloodline titles are exchanged though I believe Sabrror is referred to as Vel'Sharen. If he isnt really there maybe some form of adoption involved rather than marriage. Given how fond the Sharen are of their adopt-a-sister program some sort of “now you are family” rite seems more likely than some sort of seldom used ritual of marriage.

And the Sharen + Saggy-ass thing wouldn’t work because everybody knows they’re not real nobles. Even getting together with a Vloz’ress is scandalous I’ll bet though they are allies. However an exchange like that between perceived equals even if you hated each other might be a way to stave off war.
Last edited by Sharptooth on Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharptooth
Nether Seed

Clan: Sharen

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:42 pm

Still, if you're "part of the family", my interpretation is still valid. Same concept really, because Qing Dynasty marraige was literally giving your daughter to someone else's family.
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

PreviousNext

Return to Questions and World Setting