Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki.

Drow Society and Such Things

Re: Drow Romance

Postby blackshade10 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:41 am

Mott wrote:
blackshade10 wrote:Culture matters too. Kyorl will care more than a Sullisin'rune.

Sullisi'rune CARE? All their towels are embroidered HERS and HIS . . . on the same TOWEL.

(It is rumored the beach towels are marked: Her's & Her's & Her's & His & His & His & His & Her's)

XD Sullisin'rune are on the opposite end with "care? We have sex in the bath if we want."
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Location: Ashie Cleavage, plotting war against those of the Zala cleavage.
Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby blackshade10 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:47 am

Duke Nukem wrote:Not even most humans would find a penis inherently funny.
At least the ones that aren't 12.

I imagine Drow humor to be:

Once again, that really depends on the Drow. I think Sarghress would find that pretty damn funny while other drow might not.
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:54 am

The Sharen would be like: "*sniff* -activate british accent- How uncivilized."

As to Sillsi Promiscuity: How would "Hers and His" on the same towel work? Do they bang each other while drying each other off? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

...on the other hand, if they DON'T bang each other, that'd actually be really sweet and cute and stuff.
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Mott » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:00 am

DeadPigeonGolem wrote:As to Sillsi Promiscuity: How would "Hers and His" on the same towel work? Do they bang each other while drying each other off? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

With the Sillsi you never know WHAT the purpose is . . . except that fun must be nestled in there somewhere.
Mott
Demon

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby blackshade10 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:02 am

Mott wrote:
DeadPigeonGolem wrote:As to Sillsi Promiscuity: How would "Hers and His" on the same towel work? Do they bang each other while drying each other off? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

With the Sillsi you never know WHAT the purpose is . . . except that fun must be nestled in there somewhere.

:w
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:06 am

*giggle*

Just so you know, I'm getting an excessively sappy mental picture of a Sillsi drying each other off out of the shower WITHOUT sexual connotation. It makes me squee inside.

-----

In other lines of questioning, Would it be safe to assume that Drow social stratification makes it extremely inappropriate for a Val to bang a commoner?

----

On a separate but related note, would a commoner be as promiscuous as a Val? For example: at one point, French nobility made it common to have a wife and several mistresses, and vice versa. Commoners would be killed for such promiscuity. Would the drow reflect this?
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby blackshade10 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:10 am

DeadPigeonGolem wrote:*giggle*

Just so you know, I'm getting an excessively sappy mental picture of a Sillsi drying each other off out of the shower WITHOUT sexual connotation. It makes me squee inside.

-----

In other lines of questioning, Would it be safe to assume that Drow social stratification makes it extremely inappropriate for a Val to bang a commoner?

----

On a separate but related note, would a commoner be as promiscuous as a Val? For example: at one point, French nobility made it common to have a wife and several mistresses, and vice versa. Commoners would be killed for such promiscuity. Would the drow reflect this?

Well, I would say that Commoners can be, though not as much. It certainly isn't something enforced, it's more of a personal preference once again.
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:15 am

But as we all know, personal preference means nothing to society.

"I don't care how shy you are! GO FUCK SOMEONE!!!"

Earthling equivalent: "I don't care how much you're in love! NO GAY SEX FOR YOU!!!"

:D *wee* XD ;)
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby suntiger745 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:28 am

DeadPigeonGolem wrote:If there's one thing about the drow that fascinates me, it's the reversal of gender roles compared to humans on Earth. I dunno about anyone else, but the biggest questions I've always had are to how exactly drow go about courting someone, if they do it at all. SO, if anyone has answers, please post for the following questions:

Do drow actually court other drow?
If they do, do they go out on dates?
Is there a period of time after which it is appropriate to begin sexing each other up?
What is the minimum age of consent (given drow aging differences from humans, I am assuming that this changes)?
For that matter, IS there a minimum age of consent?
How does drow society view relationships publicly? What I mean by this is: is it a big deal if it gets out that two people are going at it, or does nobody actually care that much?
Finally, how do the drow feel about interracial relationships?

I'll post more as I think of them.

The questions have been answered already, so I'll just add my thoughts on the matter.
Keep in mind that there have been very few 'hard canon' instances of this where it's been explicitly stated that "this is how it is".
One of the few such is that drowolath (possibly fae in general) are primarily bisexual, with exclusively homo and hetero people existing as minorities.

Drow and drowussu do court each other, but it looks different both between the different clans and between the social levels.
A Kyorl'solenurn would not court someone the same way a Sullissin'rune would, for example, and neither would a commoner court someone the same way a noble would.
So yes, some of them likely go out on dates.

Likewise, the time after it's considered alright to initiate sexual relations likely also vary, both between individuals and between clans and social levels.
Given the conservative view of the Beldrobbaen for example, and their emphasis on conforming and not sticking out, courting is likely (in general) fairly low-key, formal and might involve consulting parents or elders about how appropriate the one you court are (since they put a lot of stock in bloodlines).

Sarghress by contrast, say, two highland raiders coming back from a tour, might take the route: "Let's get shitfaced and then go screw like tiktikkis!"

As far as we know there is no formal age of consent. However, just because you can screw around doesn't mean they will. At least not at the drop of a hat.
Keep in mind the difference in biology. Drow age physically at half the rate of humans, but only two years behind mentally.
Thus, until they are around 40 drow will be mentally more mature than their bodies would suggest.
This likely leads to people in young looking bodies having sexual relationships, but with the emotional maturity of an adult.

Consider also the fact that the longer physical maturity means drow doesn't get hit as hard by the puberty hormone bomb. Sexual lust exist, but it's likely not as... insistent, as in humans.

There is also some things to consider when thinking about younger/older relationships. Pre-40, most drow probably have sex with people roughly their own age.
My reasoning follows:
1. Simple mechanics. No matter how mature you are mentally, an adult body and a body that is physically 10-12 or so will have compatibility problems.
It's harder for two such diverse partners to satisfy each other (physically) without injury or using artificial aids.
2. Since there is little to no stigma over screwing someone who looks about 10, there is no "forbidden fruit" lure to entice people about it.
Add the 'mechanical' problems, and people are more likely to go after someone more their own size. It's more satisfying.

Hmm, about it being known publicly that two (or more) people are screwing around, that would, again, depend on the clan and social level etc.
The drowussu and possibly the Beldrobbaen might take notice, since their cultures in general are more regulated in terms of relationships and social status.
In general, I don't think most drow care much that someone is having sex with someone else, since sex usually isn't a big deal. Instead, I think the emphasis would lie more on who they screw with, in terms of social status.
Ergo, people would care more about how much money the one they screw make or which clan they are from (or guild) than the fact that they are lovers.
More: "So you're with X now? How much does she make/what does she do?"
Instead of: "So you're with X now? Are you having sex yet?"

A slight exception is pregnancy/motherhood. Given the matriarchal society, your status, and by extension that of your partner, is raised if you become pregnant.
Exactly how much it is increased isn't detailed and likely varies depending on the couple.

As for how drow view public displays of affection, that likely varies too.
The Sullissin'rune likely wouldn't raise an eyebrow (although they might be annoyed if the couple is noisy and they are trying to have a snack in peace or something like that :P) while the Kyorl might be mildly to greatly scandalized. It hasn't come up much aside from at the Sullissin'rune parties, where public expressions of affection up to and including orgies is expected (at the same time, the Sullissin'rune expect you to respect people's privacy too, if a couple prefer to sneak off alone).

The term 'interracial' is a bit problematic, since it can refer to both drowolath-drowussu or drowolath-vanir as well as drowolath-halme or drowolath-orc.
Again, it varies between clans. The Dutan'viir accepted drowolath-drowussu couples, including their offspring, without any trouble.
The Kyrol and Beldrobbaen doesn't like them, but tolerate them (confirmed for the former, probably for the later).
It should also be noted that some might not care about a drowolath and drowussu having sex, but might object strongly to them having a child.
It's not a subject that has been greatly explored.

For interspecies relationships, it's considered a deviance by pretty much everyone, but one that isn't frowned upon much by the Sullissin'rune and possibly the Nal'sarkoth (at least when it comes to the goblin races). Most of the others might have more of a stigma against it to varying degrees.
It should be noted that there is a difference between a drow screwing a halme or orc and a drow screwing a direwolf or great tiger. The former is a minor deviance (relatively) while the alter is a larger deviance (relatively). Different degrees of bestiality, if you will. Man-beast versus animal-beast.
Halmes and orcs are soul-less (in fae eyes), but can speak the drow language with study and have the same basic humanoid shape. No real equivalent exist in our world.
An exception for the animal-beast might exist for awares, it's not really known.
We haven't really seen any reaction to Mel having gotten a child by Zhor and they are the only example we have so far.
suntiger745
Kern's minion

Postby blackshade10 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:33 am

Damn you suntiger and your walls of text!

I can't tell if I disagreed on anything you said since I only gave single sentences. :A
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:34 am

That was rather shockingly detailed. It's okay blacks, we still lurve you! *pounce*

Is there more to know, or is the extent of Drow Society only imagined up to this level? The societal stratification thing I assume is similar to that of Feudal Europe, Ancient China, and Feudal Japan, but does drow sexuality affect how this works?

Also, another hilarious mental picture: Halme going :A at two chronologically 24 drow making out but not realizing and thinking they're actually 12.
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby suntiger745 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:50 am

DeadPigeonGolem wrote:You know, this brings up some interesting (read: weird) thoughts....

1. If there's no minimum age of consent, wouldn't that imply that all the students at Orthobbae are going at it?
2. Why hasn't Faen jumped Ariel yet? Meaning, why didn't Faen jump Ariel in the period of time before Faen accidentally killed her teacher? I am assuming that there were opportunites not taken advantage of, since Orthobbae isn't a hermitage.

1. Yes and no. First of all, at least in Orthorbbae, the males and females are segregated. It's a social status thing, not because they are forbidden to be intimate.
Secondly, with the longer puberty and lesser/slower hormone bomb there would be less pressure from the body to have sex.
Third: While the students might be allowed to have sex, you can bet the teachers won't tolerate it affecting their lessons. No sex until your homework is done!
Since those lessons and homework include combat sparring as well a physically draining lessons in how to manipulate mana there are probably many cases where they're simply too tired to have sex, or doing anything other than crash into bed.
Look at real world college students (since they can have sex as much as they want, theoretically). How large a % of them get it on as soon and as much as they can?
Just because you can doesn't mean you will. ;)

2. First: Ariel and Faen could not visit each other freely. Their time together was limited, and they had duties/lessons to take care of as well.
Second: Neither of them were in the best mental health at the time. Depression (Ariel) and mental trauma (Faen) is a real libido killer.
They were far more of an emotional crutch to each other during their years in Orthorbbae.
Third: While Ariel and Faen had a sexual relationship (viewed as rather sweet and innocent, more like BFF's with benefits) in the original chapters, the remakes put Ariel in a very different situation. Her isolation put her in a position where she was ignorant about sex, not because any cultural stigma, but simply because she hadn't been exposed to it, at all.
That's why it makes sense that she's confused as much or more as angry when Rik tries to molest her when she goes to recruit him, rather than transforming and initiating sex as she did in the original.

The original chapters portrayed the different culture of the drow in a much more vivid way, but the remakes wasn't just tamed down, they were changed in a way that Ariel's ignorance makes sense in the context.
suntiger745
Kern's minion

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:58 am

-waits for the next block-

Also, I forgot about the mental trauma bit. *facepalm* Duh.
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby suntiger745 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:11 am

DeadPigeonGolem wrote:*giggle*

-----

----

Heh, well, the Sullissin'rune are seen, with justification, as promiscuous hedonists, but they don't get it on all the time.
In fact, allowing for the fact that individual variety exist with them too, they seem to embody the 'ethical slut' concept.
Sex is nice and pleasurable, so why not do it with many people, often?
However, you should also do it with empathy and respect.
Ergo, don't force it if the other doesn't want to do it. Give as well as receive, be honest about it etc.

Eh, varies with the clan. I don't think any but the Sharen and Beldrobbaen would view it as extremely inappropriate.
The Sarghress and Vloz'ress would, naturally, have no issue with it, since most of the clan members are/were commoners themselves.
The Kyrol would probably not mind a drowussu commoner having a relationship with a high ranked drowussu, but they might object if it was a commoner drowolath. Insufficient data.

As far as we know there doesn't exist any laws or rules against commoners screwing around as much or as little as the nobles.
More likely, the limiting factor there would be time, and possibly also intra-commoners status (different guilds, unemplpyed vs employed, etc).
Also, many of them probably has to work more than the nobles have to, so there's less free time to pursue non-work related things, including but not limited to sex.

Sure, people like Snadhya'rune or Quain'tana (in chorus: "Damn paperwork!" :P) work as much or likely more than most commoners, but others, like Yamini Sharen, probably have considerable free time.
suntiger745
Kern's minion

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:20 am

I'm going to assume you have more to write, as you have yet to reach the last comment I made. Thank you for the information though! BTW: Would you consider this sufficient information to write a fanfic about drow society from an outsider's perspective?
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

PreviousNext

Return to Questions and World Setting