Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki

Drow Society and Such Things

Drow Society and Such Things

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:50 am

If there's one thing about the drow that fascinates me, it's the reversal of gender roles compared to humans on Earth. I dunno about anyone else, but the biggest questions I've always had are to how exactly drow go about courting someone, if they do it at all. SO, if anyone has answers, please post for the following questions:

Do drow actually court other drow?
If they do, do they go out on dates?
Is there a period of time after which it is appropriate to begin sexing each other up?
What is the minimum age of consent (given drow aging differences from humans, I am assuming that this changes)?
For that matter, IS there a minimum age of consent?
How does drow society view relationships publicly? What I mean by this is: is it a big deal if it gets out that two people are going at it, or does nobody actually care that much?
Finally, how do the drow feel about interracial relationships?

I'll post more as I think of them.
Last edited by DeadPigeonGolem on Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Clan: Sarghress

Re: Drow Romance

Postby blackshade10 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:48 am

Do drow actually court other drow?

Yup. :3

If they do, do they go out on dates?

Naturally. Who doesn't enjoy spending time with another they deeply like?
Is there a period of time after which it is appropriate to begin sexing each other up?

It would vary on the individuals of course, but usually pretty fast, as Drowolath are pretty sexual creatures.

What is the minimum age of consent (given drow aging differences from humans, I am assuming that this changes)?

See below.

For that matter, IS there a minimum age of consent?

Not really.

How does drow society view relationships publicly? What I mean by this is: is it a big deal if it gets out that two people are going at it, or does nobody actually care that much?

Depends on the individuals and most importantly, social standing. All in all, it usually isn't that big a deal.

Finally, how do the drow feel about interracial relationships?

This also varies, but half-breeds are viewed rather negatively with great stigma, so I imagine that the couplings themselves are viewed with equal scorn.
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Location: Ashie Cleavage, plotting war against those of the Zala cleavage.
Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:44 pm

You know, this brings up some interesting (read: weird) thoughts....

1. If there's no minimum age of consent, wouldn't that imply that all the students at Orthobbae are going at it?
2. Why hasn't Faen jumped Ariel yet? Meaning, why didn't Faen jump Ariel in the period of time before Faen accidentally killed her teacher? I am assuming that there were opportunites not taken advantage of, since Orthobbae isn't a hermitage.
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby Finn MacCool » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:47 pm

she did - at least in the original version of the story.
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:43 am

Oh..........

Well. Hm.

Still wondering about #1 though.
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby blackshade10 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:45 am

DeadPigeonGolem wrote:Oh..........

Well. Hm.

Still wondering about #1 though.

It certainly implies that they can and might be.
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:52 am

*sigh*

I wonder what the locker rooms during Orthobbae PE are like. Is it just one big awkward silence of silently checking others out?

Also, notice how we've gone mildly off topic.
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby blackshade10 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:02 am

DeadPigeonGolem wrote:*sigh*

I wonder what the locker rooms during Orthobbae PE are like. Is it just one big awkward silence of silently checking others out?

Also, notice how we've gone mildly off topic.

Haha. XD
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:20 am

True. That would imply that the better your bloodline, the hotter you are. Assuming my hypothesis is true, that would imply that, post timeskip, all the main characters would be hot enough to burn through adamantium.

On a seperate note, wouldn't this mean that all drow bathrooms, locker-rooms, showers, etc. are coed? Since everyone's bi, it wouldn't be that awkward for guys and gals to share facilities, right? Or would the opposite be true, meaning that everyone gets their own private stall to change/shower/do their business in?
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:21 am

Also, should I just change the name of the thread to "Drow Society" instead?
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby blackshade10 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:22 am

Well, I would say that the showers and baths are probably coed, but you could probably get a private bath as well, depending on your personal preference.
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby blackshade10 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:27 am

Duke Nukem wrote:Except when males are disallowed from some place they are unworthy to enter. *ooo*

Equally possible, but do remember that the gap between commoner and Val is very large in terms of pride.

Culture matters too. Kyorl will care more than a Sullisin'rune.
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:33 am

So I guess it could be said that Sullisin'rune would be more into the coed facilities, whereas the Kyorl would be all like: "FOR SHAME." ???

On a separate note: Given that, in general, Drow are uniformly more sexual than humans, how would this...

a) affect the way you get hit on

and

b) affect sexual humor, if at all? (What i mean is, whereas most humans would go "LOL PENIS", would a Drow also go "LOL PENIS" or just go "...what's so funny about a penis?")

On yet ANOTHER separate note: General stereotype for human sex is male on top, female on bottom. Would the general stereotype in drows be male on bottom, female on top? For that matter, would a male still be doing the initiation of courtship (as per human stereotype) or would the female be doing it?
Last edited by DeadPigeonGolem on Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby blackshade10 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:35 am

DeadPigeonGolem wrote:So I guess it could be said that Sullisin'rune would be more into the coed facilities, whereas the Kyorl would be all like: "FOR SHAME." ???

On a separate note: Given that, in general, Drow are uniformly more sexual than humans, how would this...

a) affect the way you get hit on

and

b) affect sexual humor, if at all? (What i mean is, whereas most humans would go "LOL PENIS", would a Drow also go "LOL PENIS" or just go "...what's so funny about a penis?")

Hm... Not sure on A really.

As for B... I think they would go for the latter of "what's so funny?" since nudity really doesn't bother them.
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Mott » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:40 am

blackshade10 wrote:Culture matters too. Kyorl will care more than a Sullisin'rune.

Sullisi'rune CARE? All their towels are embroidered HERS and HIS . . . on the same TOWEL.

(It is rumored the beach towels are marked: Her's & Her's & Her's & His & His & His & His & Her's)
Mott
Demon

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Next

Return to Questions and World setting