Direct all of your questions and inquiries of Drowtales and its world setting here. You can also participate in the construction of the world setting wiki

The Original Chapters

Re: The Original Chapters

Postby Kirik » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:03 pm

Urgh...

Oh well one plus is Ariel slept with Faen and drider Ariel.

Big minus is the relation between Ariel and Rik, which quite shocked me to say the least.
Especially Ariel's thoughts on whole case disturbed me greatly, not my kind of thing...

Anyway thanks for sharing, I think ^^;
Kirik
Vel'akar

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Smokehammer » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Actually I read it and thought, wow thats what all the bullshit was about? Geeze, she's 15 in a 15 years olds form, who gives a crap? But given some of the perspective issues (esp in the fight with Jer'kol)and the way the story sort of jerks around from frame to frame, I can see why they dont have these archived on the sight. Still its cool to see the old school stuff, if only to appreciate how far the artists have really gone since then. So, yeah Hellsion chew rock ! *beer*
Smokehammer
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby Rhov » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:49 pm

I like the old plot. I LOVE the new one!

I understand how some people were shocked/disgusted by the Ariel/Rik romance. Personally, I like it, but I'm also someone who wrote a story about a romance between a 16-year-old and a 30-year-old, and my best friend was dating a 40-year-old man at the age of 17 (cue the "She's Only 17" music!) Anyway, spring-autumn relationships don't bug me. If Rik truly was meant to betray her later on, this would have shocked her even more, being her lover. As a noisy jerk who just pesters her, we could all see it coming and were cheering to see him go. Oh well...

I also agree that I would love to have the old pages somewhere on the site, all of them in order, remakes too. I love seeing the art progression. I sorta liked the last incarnation of Chapter One. Mel and Kel in the remake are way more awesome, though.
Rhov
Demon

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby H'K'Maly » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:16 pm

Rhov wrote:I like the old plot. I LOVE the new one!

I understand how some people were shocked/disgusted by the Ariel/Rik romance. Personally, I like it, but I'm also someone who wrote a story about a romance between a 16-year-old and a 30-year-old, and my best friend was dating a 40-year-old man at the age of 17 (cue the "She's Only 17" music!) Anyway, spring-autumn relationships don't bug me. If Rik truly was meant to betray her later on, this would have shocked her even more, being her lover. As a noisy jerk who just pesters her, we could all see it coming and were cheering to see him go. Oh well...

I also agree that I would love to have the old pages somewhere on the site, all of them in order, remakes too. I love seeing the art progression. I sorta liked the last incarnation of Chapter One. Mel and Kel in the remake are way more awesome, though.

Personally I think that being shocked by this is applying human standards on different species (that is, drows). Between drows its normal to have sex with someone five times your age - think 30 and 150 or 100 and 500. And I really miss the old "friend can only mean boyfriend or girlfriend" idea ... it was so fitting. I'm afraid to ask if its still cannon that Ariel had sex with Faen ...

... on the other hand I must admit that I'm not really liking the Ariel/Rik romance too. On the other hand, still better that Naal's death.

PS: Thanks for images, Hellsion.
H'K'Maly
Vel'akar

Postby Hellsion » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:30 pm

Rhov wrote: I would love to have the old pages somewhere on the site, all of them in order

:C

I trided my bestest
Hellsion
Vel'akar

Clan: Valley'gurl

Postby RadioWires » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:28 am

i remember reading the very first copy, way back when Ariel and Faen went to an orgy at the dome when they were like 12. Despite the controversy, the only thing that occurred to me was that Drow children were emotionally much more mature than human adolescents. The beginning of drowtales asks us if our demons could be sympathetic, so naturally we will be confronted by some things. Eventually it is why I enjoy Drowtales. It isnt like paladin tales yo- it's DROW tales. xDD
The new story is sensational, worlds better then the previous one. Rik's betrayal made a larger impact perhaps than their previous romance.
RadioWires
Nether Spawn

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Finish » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:10 pm

I only wish two characters would be more like in the original. :(

The first one is Maya. In the old chapters she had far more screen-time and was an important character up until her death. Which was far crueler: Ariel sacrificed her after the confrontation with Yafein to get a vision from Sharess (Sharess was a real goddess in the old chapters). It's was a pretty evil, but I liked it. It showed Ariel’s darker side and it was interesting to see how she dealt with her murder later. It made the character more interesting.

On the other hand, Mir'kin's role was improved. In the old chapter, he was just a jerk who died. In the remake he's still a jerk but he got a bigger role and you could even feel a bit sorry for the little brat. Plus his death was as shocking as Maya's in the old chapter.

It's funny if you think about it: The interesting side character was almost forgotten, while an unimportant thug became a central story element. I wish we could've had both, but the win equals the loss.

So the real disappointment is the new Rik. Sure the old one was too much of an eye candy for the female readers, but his betrayal (Kern said the old Rik would've betrayed Ariel, too) would've been far more shocking. The new Rik is the biggest jerk in the story so far: He tried to rape Ariel, almost killed Ariel, was rude to everybody, disobeyed orders, looked ugly and wasn't even a good fighter. It's no surprise that most people cheered for Discordia. And it makes me wonder why Ariel even saved his live.

The old Rik with some attributes of the new Rik could've been such a great character, but instead we got this guy. *sigh*

But beside that the remake is superior to the old chapters. Art and story wise. So if I had the choice between the remake or the old chapters with better art, I would always pick the remake. ;)

RadioWires wrote:i remember reading the very first copy, way back when Ariel and Faen went to an orgy at the dome when they were like 12. Despite the controversy, the only thing that occurred to me was that Drow children were emotionally much more mature than human adolescents. The beginning of drowtales asks us if our demons could be sympathetic, so naturally we will be confronted by some things. Eventually it is why I enjoy Drowtales. It isnt like paladin tales yo- it's DROW tales. xDD

Ah I remember that page. But as far as I know nothing happened. There were some chibis one the page and one said the page would be censored because of [large number of sexual likings] and the other said "just kidding".

Afterward we saw what Ariel and Faen were really doing: relaxing in a bath tube. This would make sense because Sul parties aren’t just orgies. There's a lot of stuff that happens there and many doesn't involves sex. So it never bothered me.
Finish
Merc on vacation

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby tyciol » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:48 am

Even if they were taken down surely the author still has the originals filed away somewhere. Will he ever consent to release them? Relaunches are cool and all but for those of us who read the comic in the early days and want to get back into it, it feels alien to read the remade chapters without first rereading the originals.

Since they are.no longer canon can't he just multiply the page and chapter numbers by negative one and make them accessible?

Stubble did something lime this too. Without originals to measure directly it allows nostalgia to idealize them and not give the new stuff a fair shake.
tyciol
Nether Seed

Postby Smokehammer » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:25 pm

I'm pretty sure they've changed servers/hardware a couple of times, and they have lost some things in those transfers- such as mystic square Mel, and so forth. Plus the author has physically moved more than once I believe. I'd be surprised if the old pages werent lost or destroyed by now. (Or backed up on an IDE drive nobody wants to bother booting an old board to copy).
Smokehammer
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby tyciol » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:24 am

Would there be any problem with digging out what I can so we can put in order the pages which are retrievable and identify which ones are missing? This should be clear enough from the page numbering.

Could these perhaps be hosted on the official wiki for non-canon curiosity's sake? People ought to be able to see how Ariel looked originally as a Drider before all that 'mass conservation' stuff got introduced.

It also helps that Ariel had a different last name and the chapters have different titles and the series originally went by a different title. That would avoid confusion with the replacement chapters.

There was a while both the old and new versions were available, so their loss seems more recent than ancient.

In reviewing the chapter titles, it now seems like there might have been THREE incarnations of the Ariel saga in respect to that...

Chronicles of a Drow Sorceress (old) starring Ariel Del'Armgo
1. Childhood's End (18 pages 15 April 2001 to 27 May 2001)
2. Sorcere, School of Magic (30 pages 31 May 2001 to 2 September 2001)
3. Dark Friendship (34+10 pages 6 September 2001 to 18 December 2001)
4. Arena (78+7 pages 20 December 2001 to 9 May 2002)
5. Heretic (25+9 pages 12 May 2002 to 18 August 2002)
6. Redemption (31+13 pages 19 August 2002 to 3/20 December 2002) last to use chronicles
7. Price of Knowledge (31+18 pages 16 December 2002 to 20 March 2003) now using moonless age title
8. Behind the Masks (30+15 pages 28 March 2003 to 21 June 2003) also moonless age title, last chapter published before remakes
9. Second Chances (9 November 2003) first chapter to be published while remakes are being made of earlier
10. Gateway to the Abyss (51+ pages)
11. Choir of Souls (72+ pages)
12. To the Light (90+ pages)

Moonless Age (new) starring Ariel Val'sarghress
1. Lost Childhood (50 pages 27 June 2003 to 11 October 2003)
2. World of Magic (79 pages 25 September 2003 to 9 February 2007)

Newest titles:
1. The Daughters of Sarghress
2. World of Mana
3. Torn
4. Fight for me
5. Heir to the clan
6. The bloody path
7. Stand on your own
8. Behind the Masks

It appears from 8 onward beginning with Behind the Masks that chapter titles remain intact although it looks like the art was still redone (compare ch8p1 from 2003 vs ch8p1 now. I can't remember how far forward that all went but identical titles makes it a lot harder to casually discuss the different versions since title differences allow for distinction between same chapter numbers.

One frustrating thing about the new java presentation is there's no dropdown menu that lists the date first, which I found very useful in the archives. Having the page numbers available is also useful. Now you actually need to visit the page or manually count through the table thumbnails to figure out the number. I wish there was the option of bringing the simple dropdown menu with its dates / numbers / titles as an alternative to the thumbnails....

Part of the problem sorting this out is the snapshots of 2009-2011 appear kinda muddled. Like the home page just doesn't load so I can't check how the archives were linked. Ideally before the dateless thumbnail dropdowns which are very pretty but not easy on timeline-tracking. Might have somethin to do with loading it raw instead of index.php... whenever I load 0809 it bounces to 10...
tyciol
Nether Seed

Previous

Return to Questions and World setting